hmm... firefox bad?

Started by Aridas, December 03, 2006, 11:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

Quote from: HaZ×MaT on December 05, 2006, 04:46:51 PM
My cousin just recently upgraded from IE (6, 7?) to Firefox, and he says it runs a lot better.  Don't ask me specifics, he just said it was better. :lol

I ask for specifics, and make you fail!
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

xHaZxMaTx

No, you make my cousin fail.

Darkmoon

Your cousin failed because he was using IE for so long. You fail by extension.

xHaZxMaTx

Sid

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 05, 2006, 04:42:08 PM
Not obviously available. There is one for OS X, but... I'm loath to upgrade my desktop at home as well, and play with it there... :-)

I'll sort it out eventually.

Menu Manipulator might help, if I understand your problem correctly. I guess you'll have to unzip the XPI file and change the version-specific stuff to make it install. NO idea if it'll actually work with Iceweasel or what you have to change in specific to make it run, but it looks like a start.

Or you could just do by hand what the extension does. *digs digs OMG-DIGS*
Let's see!
I got a "chrome" folder which has "browser.jar" and "en_US.jar" (or whatever else your default language setting is called). Both are actually ZIP files. The former contains the more global behavior (in browser/browser.xul) and the latter contains the actual bindings (in browser/browser.dtd). At least that's what I can see right now. It looks like you won't really need the XUL file, but the second file looks promising:

Here's a snippet from the DTD file:
Quote<!ENTITY fileMenu.label         "File">
<!ENTITY fileMenu.accesskey       "F">
<!ENTITY newMenu.label            "New">
<!ENTITY newMenu.accesskey          "N">
<!ENTITY newNavigatorCmd.label        "New Window">
<!ENTITY newNavigatorCmd.key        "N">
<!ENTITY newNavigatorCmd.accesskey      "N">

My theory is that you can just unzip the files, edit the command, rezip everything and WHAM! Menu rebindings!

Of course, I didn't actually test it, but maybe it works!
:boogie

llearch n'n'daCorna

woop. Yup, that'd do it. I was wondering where the xul file was.

I'll do it tomorrow, when I can shut the browser down before breaking things :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

I have both Opera and IE6.  I use IE6 for certain things that Opera can't run and for certain sites that only use IE6 and a few other browsers I don't have.  For just roaming about the net, Opera works fine, and faster than IE6.  And I don't know how I set it to do this, but my Opera blocks virtually all pop-ups.  Of course, that's annoying when I want something to pop up, but that's what IE6 is for.  :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

MojoTheMonkeyNG

Firefox myths was developed by a raging Opera fanboy to make ridiculous, unfactual claims about FireFox. Anyone who treats FireFoxMyths as fact is an idiot. Firefox is a decent web browser, aswell  as Opera. Don't make claims you can't support. If you do, learn not to do it again. FireFox isn't bad.

Darkmoon

For sites that need IE only (and for when I'm checking IE on my sites) I use IE Tab in Firefox.

Aridas

Quote from: MojoTheMonkeyNG on December 05, 2006, 06:49:01 PM
Firefox myths was developed by a raging Opera fanboy to make ridiculous, unfactual claims about FireFox. Anyone who treats FireFoxMyths as fact is an idiot. Firefox is a decent web browser, aswell as Opera. Don't make claims you can't support. If you do, learn not to do it again. FireFox isn't bad.
And opera "fanboys" would care about IE why?

yyyeah.

Quote from: Alondro on December 05, 2006, 06:47:32 PM
I have both Opera and IE6. I use IE6 for certain things that Opera can't run and for certain sites that only use IE6 and a few other browsers I don't have. For just roaming about the net, Opera works fine, and faster than IE6. And I don't know how I set it to do this, but my Opera blocks virtually all pop-ups. Of course, that's annoying when I want something to pop up, but that's what IE6 is for. :3
I can't really tell you what to say about that, since my virus scanner/firewall is also obliterating pretty much every ad and popup that exists, and whatever ones apparently don't make it through are stopped by IE's blocker on its highest setting... Not really sure what'll happen on the medium setting.

Vidar

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on December 05, 2006, 10:56:01 PM
Quote from: MojoTheMonkeyNG on December 05, 2006, 06:49:01 PM
Firefox myths was developed by a raging Opera fanboy to make ridiculous, unfactual claims about FireFox. Anyone who treats FireFoxMyths as fact is an idiot. Firefox is a decent web browser, aswell as Opera. Don't make claims you can't support. If you do, learn not to do it again. FireFox isn't bad.
And opera "fanboys" would care about IE why?

They're fanboys. They hate IE, and they want everybody else to hate IE along with them.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Jack McSlay

If I could, I would exorcise IE off my PC. it's just plain horrible. I've been with the mozilla family since Netscape 7.

IE7 seems kinda cool, but haven't used it enough to make a decision. KMeleon is quite nifty too
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Vidar

Quote from: Jack McSlay on December 07, 2006, 08:03:32 PM
If I could, I would exorcise IE off my PC. it's just plain horrible. I've been with the mozilla family since Netscape 7.

IE7 seems kinda cool, but haven't used it enough to make a decision. KMeleon is quite nifty too

Getting IE off you pc is very difficult: it's too tied up with the rest of the OS, and a lot of other applications use bits of it as well. Just leave it there, and use firefox / opera / lynx / [insert other browser] for surfing the internet.

ShadesFox

Quote from: Darkmoon on December 05, 2006, 12:00:14 AM
Full tilt photoshop will run HORRIBLY SLOW if Firefox is up and running for any length of time. Firefox crashes if Photoshop is up for too long.

Likely they are using similar chunks of RAM and causing conflicts.

I know both applications will grab up as much memory as they can, so it is probably thrashing.  A faster hard disk will help.

I think that getting IE off a PC involves ripping out Windows all together at this point.
Still, it seems like a lot of web sites these days play with FireFox a lot better then what you saw with Netscape vs IE back in the day. 

I've managed to get FireFox to block even more popups with flash block.  I think flash really is the last bastion of annoying popups.
The All Purpose Fox

Darkmoon

Quote from: ShadesFox on December 09, 2006, 04:52:03 AM
Quote from: Darkmoon on December 05, 2006, 12:00:14 AM
Full tilt photoshop will run HORRIBLY SLOW if Firefox is up and running for any length of time. Firefox crashes if Photoshop is up for too long.

Likely they are using similar chunks of RAM and causing conflicts.

I know both applications will grab up as much memory as they can, so it is probably thrashing.  A faster hard disk will help.

My computer is practically brand new, and, while not absolutely top of the line, was pretty close.

bill

I'm going to agree with DM here. Firefox has awful memory usage, getting up to 150-200 MB at it's worst. What's more, loading times at startup are dreadful, and it seems to slow down the system as a whole.

Reese Tora

Quote from: ShadesFox on December 09, 2006, 04:52:03 AM

I think that getting IE off a PC involves ripping out Windows all together at this point.
Still, it seems like a lot of web sites these days play with FireFox a lot better then what you saw with Netscape vs IE back in the day. 

I've managed to get FireFox to block even more popups with flash block.  I think flash really is the last bastion of annoying popups.

It can be done, was demonstated to a court as part of MS's monopoly hearings by a consultant well vwersed in programming and operating system design, and took said consultant, before the court's eyes, some number of hours to accomplish.

I will look around and see if I can find an article to back up my poor memory.
(this is some years old, but I believe was with windows XP)

--edit--

good ol' wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer#Removal
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Azlan

Firefox chews up a lot more memory then IE tends to, but I find it to be much better for what I do, plus as DM stated the nice IE tab works just fine if I have the need to stare at something in IE.

My contract has been having serious issues with IE7, OWA and Exchange 2003, so I am really sick of it at this point.  All the back end coding we've had to do just to keep encryption, smartcard and digital signing functioning in OWA just gets soundly trashed when filtered through IE7.  How IE7 utilizes the certificate store is entirely different them IE6 and valid DoD root certificates are arbitrarily denied for authentication to the SSL. 

Would someone help me organize a strategic strike against all Microsoft offices worldwide?  Pweeese?
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Cvstos

The couple hundred MB Forefox uses isn't a huge deal for me. I'll sacrifice a little RAM space for the Firefox awesomeness.  Heck, I've got 2GB of RAM.  May as well put it to use.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Darkmoon

My 1 gig of ram has no issues with Firefox... unless I have Photoshop open.

And it's not that I'm maxing my RAM out. I can have Illustrator, In Design, and Firefox open and everything runs great. It's JUST Photoshop and Firefox. They hate each other.

Damaris

That's because Photoshop is a posessive, jealous ram whore.  It doesn't want you using ANYTHING else.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Darkmoon

I swear I'm not cheating on it. I was just LOOKING at Corel Painter... honest...

llearch n'n'daCorna

I wonder... I haven't looked at photoshop on PC for a while, now.

... is there something you can set that tells it how much memory to use? Somewhere buried in the preferences? I wonder if that might have an effect on it...

.. not just for you, but also since, if it objects to FF, it'll piss about with other things too, and we don't want Amber having trouble making images, now, do we? :-)

Aridas

You can tell photoshop what % of your available memory to use. it seems to default to 50%.

Darkmoon

You can, but if it hit's the maximum mem usage, it asks for more, and if you don't give it to it, it gets real cranky.

Vidar

Quote from: Darkmoon on December 11, 2006, 07:16:21 AM
You can, but if it hit's the maximum mem usage, it asks for more, and if you don't give it to it, it gets real cranky.

Kind of like a toddler, and like said toddler, it will go pester the family dog (or fox, in this case).
Maybe you should leave photoshop somewhere in the woods, lost, and all alone, where it can bal it's eyes out about how much it wants candy/RAM, and get a more sophisticated, mature, and better behaved graphics program.  :3

llearch n'n'daCorna

There aren't any more sophisticated or mature programs out there.

Better behaved, I'll grant you. I wonder if you can limit firefox's memory usage...

Aridas

Considering photoshop costs something like $700 now, I'm wondering if it's worth it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Depends on how much you use it. I find Gimp works well for me, but I'm by no means a power user, so YMMV, and probably does.

As mentioned previously, those who -do- use Photoshop a lot tend to have lots of plugins for it, or are using the interface a lot. There -is- a plugin for Gimp that makes it look -very- much like PS, which may cover a lot of the differences. From what I've seen, it boils down to what you're used to, though I'll admit that makes more difference than you'd think.

just as an example, the shortcut keys for various things may be used back-to-back by a power user, to do half a dozen different flashing changes in seconds. Changing the interface on that will make it much more difficult to cope with.

Just my 2p, of course.

ninjannihilator

I use Firefox at the moment. Don't really like IE6 haven't tried IE7. I've gotten used to the FF configuration, and the reason why a lot of people like it is the easy interface. I'll give IE7 a run, but I'm probably going to switch to a Linux OS pretty soon so I won't be using IE.