11-27-2006 Independence Day

Started by Cogidubnus, November 26, 2006, 10:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 27, 2006, 04:49:20 AMThat won't help - you'd better close your eyes too.

* Dan and Abel are both feline 'cubi
* They both have green eyes (eye, in Abel's case)
* Abel was a pupil of his charismatic teacher Destania until she left.
* Destania was pregnant with Dan before she left SAIA and met Edward
* Abel drives his roommates insane to try and conceal this affair
* Ink found out, hence his taunts about Dan being Edward's son
* Abel agreed to leave SAIA and risked his life in attacking Pyroduck to protect his son.

(Forget about the rumour that Dan has the Ti'fiona tail, that's a lie, do you hear?)

Ohno Ohno ohno!

Destania has Dan and uses fullmagic to change his appearance to hide the fact that he's not Edward's son.  When Abel dispels the transformation magic, you have two Abels.

TWO ABELS.  Madness! :eager

Edit: And Abel goes into the fetal position, again.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

MT Hazard

Hmm, not sure what to make of that last comments by Tapewolf and superluser.

I was just going to point out that Abel does seem to be a connection between Dan, Edward and Dest. However I'm happy enough to wait and find out what the connection is.

I read the recent interview of Amber about DMFA and was going to write something long and complicated about the human mind and why certain fictions will always be with us (anthromorphic creatures and Utopias spring to mind) but maybe another time.

When the thing asking the question is us, we cannot be sure we will ever get the answers we want.

Oh and I'd recommend anyone between 18-30 (ish) to read God's debris by Scott Adams. Just be prepared to rethink life and the universe.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

DigitalMan

I... am terrified. And I'm betting Amber will feel the same after reading that D:

superluser

So now that Destania is no longer with Edward, she's obviously gone back to using her maiden name, since that's what Biggs calls her.

I'm really curious, though.  What did Destania change her name to?

P.S.

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 27, 2006, 05:36:08 AMHmm, not sure what to make of that last comments by Tapewolf and superluser.

I'm going for probably wrong, definitely scarring, myself.

P.P.S.

Aary learned about seducing from Destania, so it's not impossible that Destania was head of seduction and that she and Abel...

...Professional relationship probably has a different meaning there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on November 27, 2006, 05:41:42 AM
So now that Destania is no longer with Edward, she's obviously gone back to using her maiden name, since that's what Biggs calls her.

It's curious that Alexsi didn't ask about Edward.  Personally I'm assuming that Destania has actually found him, but something is preventing his return.  A severe injury, perhaps.  Otherwise, if she'd found proof-positive that he was dead or whatever, I'm at a loss as to why she'd remain.  If he is dead we've got interesting questions about the inn - it would presumably belong to her now.

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 27, 2006, 05:36:08 AMHmm, not sure what to make of that last comments by Tapewolf and superluser.

Well the Abel-Destania relationship is something that occurred to me about a year ago.  It's almost plausible except that Alexsi and Dan have too many physical similarities which could only have come from their father.

**EDIT**
Gah, that's ABEL-DESTANIA not Dan-Destania. 

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sid

About the two theories Tapewolf developed: *silliest grin ever* You just made my day :D

Aary learned about seducing from Destania, so it's not impossible that Destania was head of seduction and that she and Abel...

I don't think that Aary learned about seducing from Destania, even though her "Under her teachings I learned everything about the ways of the Succubi" potentially covers a fairly wide field... But Fa'Lina mentioned Destania being the prof in the Pain and Terror department, so I think that the official Seduction prof was somebody else.

Given Destania's old job, a professional relationship gone personal would have a few interesting implications about Abel, though ;)

(Edit to insert another URL)
:boogie

Tapewolf

This didn't really hit home until just now.  I guess I had been assuming it was her forename (even though I used it has her surname in CJP - better make that more ambigious).

Alexsi never, ever refers to her as anything other than 'Mom' or 'Destania'.  Now why on earth would she do that?  Unless she somehow already knows that Edward is dead and has done since before #300, it's just bizarre.

e_voyager

i try not to dwell on the possible negative. still i feel like i forgot to put down the bar on the rollercoaster again.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

ShiningShadow

So TW you are saying that Destinia was pregnant with Abel child hmmmmmmmm. That explains some things but was she pregnant when she first meet Edward? I had a feeling she was and hid it from him till they are married and consumated their marriage and henceforth telling Edward that Destinia is pregnant. I think is all planned out for some reason to protect the future leader of all leaders of the Cubi clan. Resulting a beatdown with Pyro to protect his only son and future leader hmmmmmmmmmm. I think you have something here TW I never looked at it in the other direction as you pointed it out there.

Alondro

I have to disagree about Ichi the Killer being a great film.  It wasn't shocking to me actually, because I've known of things like that being done in reality, though not all at once.  It merely disgusts me that someone would actually bother putting such a thing on film, and that so many people flock to it like a dog to its own vomit.  It's just the basest actions of humanity brought to the surface.  There's no brilliance involved.  You just shut off empathy and let rage and hatered take hold.  You can't truly imagine what you're capable of until you actually do it.  Humans are animals, animals are naturally violent, nature is harsh and brutal.  Humans left to themselves will act accordingly.  I'm never impressed by any of the glorifications of the worst possible aspects of humanity. 

I don't know why being crude and violent is considered clever these days, but I hope it's not a trend that will continue or we're going to end up the the Dark Ages: Part II.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Dard

I would be surprised if Abel was the father of Dan. Not so surprised that it would leave my mouth open, but I don't think that was it.
But I think it's reasonable to assume that Abel had an affair with Destania. Or he thinks that he had. Maybe just a crush on Destania. But probably everybody as SAIA knows, providing Dr. Ink with a lot of red buttons.
I'll give you one more wild theory: Is it possible to link Destania with the Library Incident somehow? Far fetched, I know, but it leaves a lot of interesting possibilities...

Quote from: Alondro on November 27, 2006, 10:24:40 AM
I have to disagree about Ichi the Killer being a great film.
I also don't think that Ichi is a great film. I have seen it and was disappointed. Not because of the level of violence. I've seen similar violent films that were a lot better. Even from Miike. That was probably why I was so disappointed by it.
While both directors have created very violent movies, I would say that Kitano Takeshi's style is one of slow scenes of intense emotions (mostly despair) followed by sudden explosions of violence whle Miike Takeshi's movies (when he's good) are a rollercoaster ride of insanity. (See the end of DoA for example)
And I don't think you will find me an example of both directors that glorify violence. The violence there is ugly and leaves a bad taste in your mouth and it intended that way. Contrary to most Hollywood directors where the (cleanly) violent hero almost always gets away with what he has done. That's part of the reason why I am not really fond of happy ends in movies anymore.

Zedd

Dont make me get the hose! Sides note that its funny when I see Biggs acting liek a big baby over his toys...Well now I am sure Des would tell Biggs to think back to the last place he saw it...My mom always tells me...Hell any mother says that...Why is it like its the least place I should susspect

Zina

Quote from: Alondro on November 27, 2006, 10:24:40 AM
I have to disagree about Ichi the Killer being a great film.  It wasn't shocking to me actually, because I've known of things like that being done in reality, though not all at once.  It merely disgusts me that someone would actually bother putting such a thing on film, and that so many people flock to it like a dog to its own vomit.  It's just the basest actions of humanity brought to the surface.  There's no brilliance involved.  You just shut off empathy and let rage and hatered take hold.  You can't truly imagine what you're capable of until you actually do it.  Humans are animals, animals are naturally violent, nature is harsh and brutal.  Humans left to themselves will act accordingly.  I'm never impressed by any of the glorifications of the worst possible aspects of humanity. 

I don't know why being crude and violent is considered clever these days, but I hope it's not a trend that will continue or we're going to end up the the Dark Ages: Part II.

I don't think Ichi the Killer is clever. I don't think it's brilliant. I don't think Miike was trying to send a message through the film about humanity or trying to make some deep statement. He simply wanted to make the most violent thing he could be allowed to do, and that's just what he did.
I like Ichi the Killer because I enjoy watching those crappy b-horror movies on the scifi channel. I enjoy watching movies that're sometimes so bad, they are good. But that is just me, and I know a lot of people will find what I enjoy to be vulgar and down-right stupid.
Sometimes I enjoy watching movies with substance, yes. But Ichi the Killer(and by and large most of Miike's movies) isn't a movie with a whole lot of substance. You could try to analyze it. There's plenty of moments in the movie that you could try to look into and find deep and hidden meaning. But all and all, you just have to take the movie in face value, and whether or not you enjoy watching a guy stick needles through another man's cheek. Anyone that's looking for something more is only kidding themselves.

Case in point, Ichi the Killer is more violent than Ninja Ressurection. The end.

And yeah, Miike does have more violent and insane movies in his arsenal(Imprint, anyone?) I just recommend Ichi the Killer to anyone that hasn't seen his stuff before, because it's a pretty clear indication of what you're getting into. If you can't handle that, then you probably can't handle much else he's done. 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dard on November 27, 2006, 01:03:12 PM
I'll give you one more wild theory: Is it possible to link Destania with the Library Incident somehow? Far fetched, I know, but it leaves a lot of interesting possibilities...

I doubt we're going to learn what it was.  Sometimes jokes work better if they just provide a small glimpse of it and leave the rest to your imagination...

Arcalane

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 27, 2006, 10:34:27 AM
Lord of the Flies.

Nuff said.

Lord of the Flies-size Fries?

~~

When thinking of the 'vested', think along the lines of 'invested'. Destania (is it really that? My brain has been saying Destiana..) thought he had potential, perhaps unlike other students, and wanted to help him acquire/unlock that potential. Whether or not she did, however, is another matter entirely.

A quick peek in the dictionary was rather undecisive, however.[/u]

~~

`s it just me, or does Destania look kin'a cute with the glasses on?

superluser

Quote from: Sid on November 27, 2006, 05:59:31 AM

But Fa'Lina mentioned Destania being the prof in the Pain and Terror department, so I think that the official Seduction prof was somebody else.

In the same strip, Fa'Lina mentions that Destania came up with the ``special incantation ploy,'' so she probably was doing some seduction lessons at some point.

Observations:

Destania and Fa'Lina don't seem to get on very well.  Otherwise, she would have informed Fa'Lina about Dan, and probably not left SAIA in the first place.

Also, vested does indeed mean what Sheridan says, but the fact that she hesitates to find the right words, takes her glasses off and smiles makes it seem rather...yeah.

Speculation:

If Abel is Dan's father, it could have happened like this.  Destania is forced to leave by Fa'Lina, possibly because of Abel/Destania, or possibly not.  Fa'Lina may herself have mauled Destania, and claimed that she was away ``on assignment.''  In any case, Destania gets mauled and figures that she's done for.  The attacker is going to find her eventually and so when she finds Edward, she sees an opportunity to dump the kid on a non-doomed soul.  And then the full magic transformation to keep Edward from figuring out that the kid's not his.

Oh, and before I go, two quips that I thought of as I was heading out the door:

- Gives new meaning to sleeping your way to the head of the class.
- Amber, I can deal with Abel being Dan's dad, but please, oh, please no Star Wars references!

(oh, I'm gonna underflow my karma with this)

Manawolf

Okay, no more of this idiotic "Abel is Dan's father" ****.  Honestly, you people are just trying to give the lemon writers fodder.

ITOS

I wonder how this will play out in the comming confrontation between Biggs and the rescue party. Would Destania help Biggs or join Mab in trying to make everyone stop fighting so they could talk things out over a cake.

Probably the later in some form but it's still intresting to see how Biggs will react when he realises that he might have lost one of his closest... allies.
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Tapewolf

Quote from: Manawolf on November 27, 2006, 02:59:52 PM
Okay, no more of this idiotic "Abel is Dan's father" ****.  Honestly, you people are just trying to give the lemon writers fodder.

At the moment it's the only thing preventing the thread from sliding into a discussion about some strange and bloodthirsty film, so I think it deserves to continue on that merit alone  >:3

Besides it's fun to see who's gullible enough to believe it... >:-)

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 27, 2006, 03:40:23 PMAt the moment it's the only thing preventing the thread from sliding into a discussion about some strange and bloodthirsty film, so I think it deserves to continue on that merit alone  >:3

I dunno.  For me the only thing that's good about that speculation is that Amber might decide not to use that plot device and rather use my kneecaps as hockey pucks.  Fair trade, in my opinion.

We could make it about speculation about Destania's married name.  I notice that all `cubi seem to have only one name.  Fa'Lina, Aaryana, Abel, Destania.  Presumably, she wouldn't have changed her one name to Ti'Fiona.  And clearly she changed it, since Dan wouldn't have forgotten the name that non-kin called his mom.

I'm going on the assumption that this is whatever the inverse of dramatic irony is--that is, the characters all know the answer, but the audience does not.  Given that, the name is probably one that we've already heard, otherwise what would be the point of covering it up?

What one-word names do we know?

Twist

Quote from: superluser

...Professional relationship probably has a different meaning there.

It would be more likely that they had a thing, and then she left him for Edward.

That is a simpler explanation, so I invoke Occams Razor.

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on November 27, 2006, 04:25:49 PM
I notice that all 'cubi seem to have only one name.  Fa'Lina, Aaryana, Abel, Destania.

Not Abel, remember... Abel Dimitri Rewanz.  Of course like Daniel Ti'fiona he thought he was a Being, so we don't know for sure.

One possibility is that they take their clan name, e.g. 'Destania Cyra'...

Aridas

Or who knows. maybe they (optionally) abandon their last names as some sort of weirdo cubi tradition. Or by a clan tradition.

Off topic for a minute: While I was searching for confirmation of the name thing, (to myself, mostly..) I looked at Merlitz's profile, and i'm not sure why there was all that speculation over Abel screwing up the merlitz disguise in the first place, because of these three facts:

1. The Merl playing with fire in the profile pic has nothing else special about him.
2. The fun facts state Merl's eye color goes orange when he casts a fire spell
3. His flamewings only appear when he's supermerrygoroundpissedoff.

So the only thing that would give him away soonest-to-now would be doing fire magic around ANYONE with advance knowledge of the eye thing. I'm not sure that group of characters (literally and figuratively) are THAT observant... Are they?

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 27, 2006, 04:32:59 PMNot Abel, remember... Abel Dimitri Rewanz.  Of course like Daniel Ti'fiona he thought he was a Being, so we don't know for sure.

I meant to leave him out, for exactly the reasons that you stated, but the fact that he doesn't have a last name listed in the cast page convinced me that he changed it.

...waiiiit.  One of Abel's nicknames is Abba.... D:

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 27, 2006, 04:32:59 PMOne possibility is that they take their clan name, e.g. 'Destania Cyra'...

Which would make her married name...Destania Ti'Fiona?  Ti'Fiona Cyra?  Edward Cyra?

I'm also trying to figure out a way to shorten Destania.  Desi would be my choice, but that's a man's name.  Desti?

Aridas

Netami

This is probably the most depressing speculation thread on DMFA yet.

thegayhare

Well I'm positive that nothing sexual happened between Abel and Destina
I'm also sure Ed is alive some where and Destinahasn't changed her name (yes dan forgot her name but come on your mother is always Mom first the fact that other people call them something else is an afterthought, plus Dan hasn't exactly shown he's got the best track record in the brain department)

The thing that struck me was the relationship between Biggs and Destina.
It seems to fall into the mothering sort of relationship (Mom where are my shoes,  have you seem my luky red cap?)  Or the bumbling boyfreind role (honey have you seen my blue tie?) But that one doesn't seem to fit due to Alexi/ biggs marriag, plus Despite being a succubus destina doesn't seem to be the type to fool around (and as I've said I'm Sure Ed is still in the picture)

I thought maybe they fell into the boss with secretary that actualy rins the show but the implieds tone doesn't seem to fit that scene.

terrycloth

Her 'new life' had a new name that wasn't Destania... we don't know what it was, but it doesn't really matter. 'Mrs. Ti'Fiona'?

I don't think it's plausible that Dan wouldn't know the name she went by when she was living with him... sooner or later, someone's going to refer to you by your name. Or, you know, the mail will be addressed to you by name, or something.

Apparently, working for Biggs is more like her 'old life', so she's gone back to her old name? Or maybe he insists on calling her that to annoy her. >:3

Tapewolf

Quote from: terrycloth on November 27, 2006, 06:53:23 PM
Her 'new life' had a new name that wasn't Destania... we don't know what it was, but it doesn't really matter. 'Mrs. Ti'Fiona'?
That's my guess.  I still don't understand why Alexsi calls her Destania, though.