Laws that make you go "EH?!"

Started by Alondro, October 25, 2006, 11:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Ok, time to find the dumbest laws in the world!  Post the law, the country of origin, and if you can, when and why it was created and if it's ever been enforced, plus a link for proof of its existence.  :)

Erf, this site has a monsterous list!

http://www.dumblaws.com

Let's browse and find the worst of the worst.  ;)

First, some poor wording in a resolution from Belvedere, California: City Council order reads: "No dog shall be in a public place without its master on a leash.

I guess in that town, every dog really does have his day.   :mowmeep
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

RJ

A sampling from Australia:

Children may not purchase cigarettes, but they may smoke them.

It is illegal to roam the streets wearing black clothes, felt shoes and black shoe polish on your face as these items are the tools of a cat burgular.

Taxi cabs are required to carry a bale of hay in the trunk.

It is illegal to wear hot pink pants after midday Sunday.

Only licensed electricians may change a light bulb.

A life sentence is 25 years.

From: http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/international/australia/

Also, if I remember right, if you're homeless(?), it is required for you to have at least $2 change on you at all times. And also, I think we still have a bunch of old laws that say we're not allowed to record/copy anything from a multimedia source like tv.

Alondro

In Marshalltown, Iowa, horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants/

:erk
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

RJ

NY State: The penalty for jumping off a building is death.

DigitalMan

In Oxford, Ohio, it is illegal to drive around the town square more than 100 times consecutively. I intend to test this as soon as I have the opportunity.

In Cleveland, it is illegal to catch mice without a hunting license. Good thing the authorities never found out about Irvine or I'd be in big trouble D:

James StarRunner

Heh heh... This site is great! A couple winners from Vermont:

Women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

At one time it was illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole.

thegayhare

one f my favorites is this here...

Chico california has a law on the books saying:

Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine.

Now in maine I particularly like this one
Shotguns are required to be taken to church in the event of a Native American attack.

and this maine law should be enforced
fter January 14th you will be charged a fine for having your Christmas decorations still up.

LionHeart

Quote from: RJ on October 25, 2006, 11:29:48 AM
And also, I think we still have a bunch of old laws that say we're not allowed to record/copy anything from a multimedia source like tv.

That's right... We have had VCRs available for about 25 years now, but it's still illegal to record TV shows.

For that matter, it's illegal to transfer music from a CD to an iPod under our current laws...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Zedd

Dont forget the ones where I am in Michigan...

Cars may not be sold on Sunday....They much be in church too?  :3

A woman isn't allowed to cut her own hair without her husband's permission..Unlike my mom...She went and did it  :tongue

This one makes me cry and go wtf...And maybe make Charline laugh..It is illegal to kill a dog using a decompression chamber  :erk

Gareeku

Some dumb laws from the UK:

With the exception of carrots, most goods may not be sold on Sunday.

London Hackney Carriages (taxis/cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.

It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar).

A bed may not be hung out of a window.

Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).

It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.

Any boy under the age of 10 may not see a naked manequin.

Also, there's a town some the UK where it is legal to shoot a Welshman with a longbow at night.

LigerJet

Sometimes I think politicians spend most of their time coming up with ridiculous things than trying to work on what's needed.  :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gareeku on October 25, 2006, 02:43:10 PM
Also, there's a town some the UK where it is legal to shoot a Welshman with a longbow at night.

That's Chester, I think.  Dates back to some ancient Welsh invasion.  I really had fun with that in the Ultima 9 walkthrough (you don't get penalised for shooting gardeners owing to some weird bug)

Apart from the oats and being drunk, the others are new to me..

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Toric

Stupid laws from the heartland! (That's Oklahoma for you non-okies)

It is illegal to take a bite out of somebody else's hamburger.

People who make ugly faces at dogs may be fined and/or jailed.

Anyone arrested for soliciting a hooker must have their name and photo shown on television. (Instant airtime!)

It is illegal to spit on the sidewalk.

Also, two unconfirmed laws I've heard about in Oklahoma City:

It is illegal to walk down a sidewalk backwards while eating a cheeseburger.

It is illegal to "flip somebody the bird" while driving. This law was supposedly passed after somebody did such to the governor's daughter.
Yap by Silver.

Miaka

At some point, I read that one of the laws in Boston was that Women could not be on top during any sexual activity, nor could they wear heels over 3 inches on the common.

But what's even better about the really otrageous ones is that you know someone's tried them.

Some state there was a law against having a gorila in your car.
Officer: Uh, sir, you seem to have a gorilla in your car, I'll have to fine you for that
person: That's not a gorilla, Officer, that's my mother!
Officer:  :boggle

Dakata

Quote from: Zedd on October 25, 2006, 02:06:13 PMA woman isn't allowed to cut her own hair without her husband's permission..
Ha. :B Every femme in my family breaks that law.

More stupid Michigan laws:
- It is legal for a robber to file a law suit, if he or she got hurt in your house.

- Any person over the age of 12 may have a license for a handgun as long as he/she has not been convicted of a felony. (BWAHAHAH. :mwaha )

- (Detroit, MI) It is illegal to let your pig run free in Detroit unless it has a ring in its nose.

- (Grand Haven, MI) No person shall throw an abandoned hoop skirt into any street or on any sidewalk, under penalty of a five- dollar fine for each offense.

- (Wayland, MI) Anyone can keep their cow on Main Street downtown at a cost of 3 cents per day.

:B

Edit: LOL @ Miaka's post

xHaZxMaTx

I don't know if this stands only in California, but you can be fined $2 each excessive time you push the button for the crosswalk.

Jim Halisstrad

Arkansas laws

The Arkansas River can rise no higher than to the Main Street bridge in Little Rock.

A law provides that school teachers who bob their hair will not get a raise.

A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
(WHAT?!!1!!)

Oral sex is considered to be sodomy.
( :3 )

Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Miaka on October 25, 2006, 08:54:25 PM
But what's even better about the really otrageous ones is that you know someone's tried them.

Entertainingly, I remember reading somewhere about a couple of guys who went to the effort of running about the US breaking all the little stupid laws they could find, and writing a book about the 100 laws they chose to break.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Miaka

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 25, 2006, 09:29:09 PM
Quote from: Miaka on October 25, 2006, 08:54:25 PM

Entertainingly, I remember reading somewhere about a couple of guys who went to the effort of running about the US breaking all the little stupid laws they could find, and writing a book about the 100 laws they chose to break.
is it bad that I want that book now? >>

RJ

I wouldn't mind reading it either...

Zedd

How bought owning it as well my crazy squirly friend

Damaris

In my suburb of Indianapolis, it is illegal for a woman to have a male over the age of 12 in their hotel room overnight, unless it is her husband.  Breaking this law is a $200 fine.

Thankfully, they figured out how to make it work for them- all of the hotels are on the Indianapolis side of the city limits.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Alondro

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on October 25, 2006, 09:23:37 PM
Arkansas laws

The Arkansas River can rise no higher than to the Main Street bridge in Little Rock.

A law provides that school teachers who bob their hair will not get a raise.

A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
(WHAT?!!1!!)

Oral sex is considered to be sodomy.
( :3 )

Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.

*reforms those crazy laws in typical beauraucratic fashion... by making a single law that combines them all*  It is illegal for a bobbed-haired male teacher to have oral sex with an alligator that's beating his wife in a bathtub floating down the Arkansas river when it's higher than the Little Rock main Street Bridge.*

*nods his head in approval of his reforms*  That's much simpler.   :3

Creativity

After looking at a couple of the canadian ones, I've realised that most of these laws are false. "You may not turn right on a red light, ever." We are taught to do this in our drivers course x.x

James StarRunner

Quote from: Creativity on October 25, 2006, 11:20:00 PM
After looking at a couple of the canadian ones, I've realised that most of these laws are false. "You may not turn right on a red light, ever." We are taught to do this in our drivers course x.x
Because nobody knows anything about Canada. But yes, I was taught that too.

Shadrok

In Quitman, Georgia
It is illegal for a chicken to cross the road.

LionHeart

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on October 25, 2006, 09:23:37 PM

I'd love to know how they'd enforce this one...

How do you arrest a river?
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Zedd

ShadesFox

Funny Tennessee laws.

More than 8 women may not live in the same house because that would constitute a brothel.

And this one is true.  I remember that at my old college the honors house could not have more then 8 girls in it because of this law.

It is legal to gather and consume roadkill.

I remember when this one passed.  I think the guy who put it forth was from Bucksnort county.

Nashille laws!

Males may not be sexually aroused in public.

I'm in trouble...

To play pinball, one must be 18 years old.

Man, I keep breaking all these laws.

One that is in Knoxville that they missed,

A woman may not operate a car unless there is a man walking in front of it waving red flags.

Not sure if that one is true, I need to look into it.
The All Purpose Fox

Aisha deCabre

I think I heard in one state it's illegal to kiss strangers in public.  I swear some places need to update their laws out of the early 1800's. o.O

This is from the state I live in now:

Unmarried couple who live together and "lewdly associate" with one another may face up to a year in prison.  (Just...wierd...)

A person may be placed in jail for up to six months for making fun of someone who does not accept a challege.  (I'd have liked this law a long time ago  :mowtongue )

It is illegal to snooze on a train.  (Well what are you SUPPOSED to do when you're tired after a long trip? XD)

For each act of public swearing a person shall be fined one dollar.  (I've broken this one a few times and haven't been reported XD )

Roadkill may be taken home for supper.  (Why would anyone do that anyway? o.O )

Whistling underwater is prohibited.  (CAN anyone do that? XD )

These laws make West Virginia look bad...  :shifty
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.