Ask the All Purpose Fox, Try!

Started by xHaZxMaTx, October 09, 2006, 08:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

Quote from: ShadesFox on January 27, 2007, 02:21:29 PM
Oh my, it looks like Gabi is going to collect another tea provider X3
Yes, I am! And I'm going to provide some more tea for AC... Probably not a lot, though, as I've heard there's still plenty of what I provided last year.

You must love the Tea... You must drink the Tea... Follow the Tea... Worship the Tea! :mwaha

(Note: that's the Pencilworld motto, for those who hadn't heard it.)
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

superluser

Quote from: Gabi on January 27, 2007, 03:29:45 PMYou must love the Tea... You must drink the Tea... Follow the Tea... Worship the Tea! :mwaha

Is that from Magnolia?

Edit: Why did you have to go back and edit that?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Gabi

Quote from: superluser on January 27, 2007, 03:34:17 PM
Quote from: Gabi on January 27, 2007, 03:29:45 PMYou must love the Tea... You must drink the Tea... Follow the Tea... Worship the Tea! :mwaha

Is that from Magnolia?

Edit: Why did you have to go back and edit that?
To give you your answer before you finished typing the question, naturally.

Dakata

What kind of teacher are you, Gabi? :U Math teacher? Science/Biology teacher? Just curious.

Why do teachers think students can read their mind?

If I accidentally skip class because my schedule got changed, and I went to lunch when I wasn't s'pose to, is it my fault I [accidentally] skipped? 'Cuz the teacher of the class I missed got mad at me. And she could've told me about my new lunch since she used to be my first hour teacher and she gave me my schedule. (And no, it doesn't say when I have lunch on my schedule.)

Why are rules stupid?

QuoteWith fire.
What kind of fire? :3

Gabi

Quote from: Dakata on January 27, 2007, 03:54:30 PM
What kind of teacher are you, Gabi? :U Math teacher? Science/Biology teacher? Just curious.

Why do teachers think students can read their mind?

If I accidentally skip class because my schedule got changed, and I went to lunch when I wasn't s'pose to, is it my fault I [accidentally] skipped? 'Cuz the teacher of the class I missed got mad at me. And she could've told me about my new lunch since she used to be my first hour teacher and she gave me my schedule. (And no, it doesn't say when I have lunch on my schedule.)

Why are rules stupid?

QuoteWith fire.
What kind of fire? :3
I teach Computer Science at university, though I have given some informal Maths classes.

We don't. If we did we wouldn't make so much effort to get them to understand what we're teaching them.

Well, it was your mind that slipped. You should try to pay more attention. But it's not something that will change your life or anyone else's.

Not all rules are. Only some, which are often the ones made by stupid people.

The burning kind.

RJ

Worship the tea...? Can't I just bribe you all with muffins instead?

Jim Halisstrad

If I became a pregnent man, would it be allright for me to wear Muu Muu's?

e_voyager

I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Gabi

Quote from: RJ on January 29, 2007, 12:10:34 AM
Worship the tea...? Can't I just bribe you all with muffins instead?
Sorry, RJ, we already know about your muffins.

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on January 29, 2007, 12:22:11 AM
In a hypothetical situation that has zero probability of actually happening, you can do whatever you like.

Quote from: e_voyager on January 29, 2007, 01:27:53 AM
what is a Muu-Muu?
This:

Prof B Hunnydew

ooo, How are you going to do that?
or  Can I be first in line to help make you a prego?

and Think of the Noble-prize in Biology for the first Pregnant Man...the $$$ and may :love2 for Jim.

What would the neighbors think?
PBH

llearch n'n'daCorna

Comfortable, yes. Does one have to be blind, or just insane, to wear one of those?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Prof B Hunnydew

If I am the daughter of a Twin (identical on my fathers' side), how likely am I to having twins?  and will a Muu Muu be the only thing I'll be able to wear in my third trimester?

PBH

Gabi

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on January 29, 2007, 10:17:52 AM

ooo, How are you going to do that?
or  Can I be first in line to help make you a prego?

and Think of the Noble-prize in Biology for the first Pregnant Man...the $$$ and may :love2 for Jim.

What would the neighbors think?
PBH
Let lame hypothetical scenarios rest in peace.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 29, 2007, 10:38:23 AM
Comfortable, yes. Does one have to be blind, or just insane, to wear one of those?
I think the latter would be most useful. That, or being so fat that nothing else will fit.

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on January 29, 2007, 10:55:58 AM
If I am the daughter of a Twin (identical on my fathers' side), how likely am I to having twins?  and will a Muu Muu be the only thing I'll be able to wear in my third trimester?

PBH

I'm assuming you're asking this from a woman's perspective because otherwise it will be just too freaky. The chance is around 3%, or so they say. If your mother were a fraternal twin, the chance would be higher, but that's not the case in the scenario you've presented. And most pregnant women are able to use other clothes during the third trimester.

TheGreyRonin

Growing up, I had a good friend whose mother was partial to muu-muus. She would come out on her front porch and scream at the top of her lungs for her daughter wearing them, usually in much worse patterns than in the picture.

It did have a positive side effect: Topaz was usually home on time after the first time or two that it happened, from sheer force of embarassment.

Oh, on-topic...Why do I keep thinking Hunnydew is a rabbit anthro when I see her pics, when she is clearly a cat?

Gabi

Quote from: TheGreyRonin on January 29, 2007, 11:46:04 AM
Oh, on-topic...Why do I keep thinking Hunnydew is a rabbit anthro when I see her pics, when she is clearly a cat?
Maybe she has some rabbit among her ancestry.

Prof B Hunnydew

Why? Do Rabbits really have more fun? ...or are they more sexual just because they are more fertile? 

Oops Sorry Pai-gon ..No No, I am being good..See I have my lab coat on ... and

** leaves a box of tea and run away**
:mowhappy
PBH

llearch n'n'daCorna

Gabi

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on January 29, 2007, 12:13:44 PM
Why? Do Rabbits really have more fun? ...or are they more sexual just because they are more fertile? 

Oops Sorry Pai-gon ..No No, I am being good..See I have my lab coat on ... and

** leaves a box of tea and run away**
:mowhappy
PBH
Rabbits (real rabbits) just follow their instincts. I doubt they have a concept of 'fun' like we do.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 29, 2007, 12:15:41 PM
Can I steal some of that tea?
It's not stealing if you ask for it (and get permission). You can have some, but it won't be stolen.

superluser

Quote from: Gabi on January 29, 2007, 12:53:10 PMIt's not stealing if you ask for it (and get permission). You can have some, but it won't be stolen.

If it's gifted to Pai Gon, and Prof B Hunnydew gives llearch permission, isn't it still theft?  After all, it's not Hunnydew's anymore, right?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Cogidubnus

Why are there imaginary numbers? :<

Why does my math teacher make incredibly bad math jokes?

Why does trigonometry elude me?

Why would I rather debate subjectivism than talk about trigonometry?

Gabi

Quote from: superluser on January 29, 2007, 02:30:49 PM
Quote from: Gabi on January 29, 2007, 12:53:10 PMIt's not stealing if you ask for it (and get permission). You can have some, but it won't be stolen.

If it's gifted to Pai Gon, and Prof B Hunnydew gives llearch permission, isn't it still theft?  After all, it's not Hunnydew's anymore, right?
Well, it's all up to Pai-Gon, but she's not an APF.

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 29, 2007, 05:44:29 PM
Why are there imaginary numbers? :<

Why does my math teacher make incredibly bad math jokes?

Why does trigonometry elude me?

Why would I rather debate subjectivism than talk about trigonometry?
To answer questions like "What's the square root of -1?".
Making bad jokes is a requisite for getting a degree in any exact science. Be glad you haven't heard mine. Or worse, my thesis director's.
Probably because no one has explained it to you properly. If we weren't so far away I could try... maybe we can still talk on AIM if you have questions about the subject.
Because you like it more, evidently.

bill

How the hell does it take two weeks to ship a single CD by USPS?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Could the answer to Bill's query be "One bit at a time?" ?

Gabi

Quote from: BillBuckner on January 29, 2007, 07:47:19 PM
How the hell does it take two weeks to ship a single CD by USPS?
In the same way it took 2 months for me to get the last book I bought on the Internet.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 29, 2007, 07:52:19 PM
Could the answer to Bill's query be "One bit at a time?" ?
No, not by physical mail. And that's the closest thing to cheating I've seen on this thread. You seem to enjoy being punished.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Apparently so.

Am I masochistic, then?

Gabi

Jim Halisstrad

Ok, serious question for once.  More of a philisophical question, but with proper spelling.

What, in the opinion of whoever answers this, is the better choice in these two options.

1.)  Within your life time you can do great good at the expence of doing great evil.

2.)  You do niether, and live a life that makes no differance to anyone.

One condition, just for once pretend that good and evil arn't subjective and that the world is really black and white.

Cogidubnus

I may not be all purpose, but I my status as philosopher-king may apply here.

So, Jim, you seek to know which is better, great good and evil, or neither?

Is there truly any good action that cancels out a bad one? Justice is seen as the balancing of the scales, as it were, but Justice is not inherently a good act. Justice is considered to be the creation of equality, and though it creates good, it does so with the threat of force on those who do bad. This is not necessarily a good thing: Justice is harsh, on occasion, and through careful thought, one can see that Justice itself is not good, but merely good's strong arm. Justice is a tool.
This to say, there are few things that can be considered to be a good action that cancels out a bad one. The possible good that any action creates does not excuse the action itself. You are still culpable, and indeed responsible, for the bad that you do, no matter the good that it may cause. This is not to say, that perhaps doing a bad for a good is necessarily wrong: merely, that it is not a net equality: for indeed, in that circumstance, would not both actions, doing nothing and doing good and evil, truly be neutral? There would be no difference between the two, but we can see that there is. The example will follow shortly.
The other question that must be answered before we can get to the example, is are you aware of the good your action would do? If you are, that it reflects well on you, at least, if it does not detract from your culpability.
Here is the example, and it is twofold. The first is, let us say you kill a man who would have later gone on to abuse a child. Surely, this would be a good action. However, if you did not know that he would have done so, you are indeed almost as bad, and guilty of murder. The fact that you killed a man who would have done something abominable is mere chance, and it does not excuse the action in the least. Perhaps there was a net good there, but not by any intent of yours.
The other would be, let us say that you did know that he was going to abuse a child. There are other avenues you might have taken, surely, than killing him: however, you are no longer merely killing for the sake of murdering, but rather in defense of a child. Surely, there is merit it killing to defend something, yes? Perhaps so, but even so, are you the one to give death? There was an action that you could have taken that would not have resulted in anyone's death, and would have still saved the child. So in both cases, you are still guilty of killing a man.

Of course, your question is abstract, so we will be abstract: does good cancel out evil? I say no: evil is evil, and righteousness, righteousness. No amount of good takes away the fact of evil: murder is not justified, no matter the future good it may do. For truly, if we do the evil first, how can we even be sure that it will do good? Is the killing of homeless justified because it does the good of clearing the city of vagrants? 'Not equal', you may say, but how about jailing them? Is that justified? Still I say no.

So, to answer the ultimate question, which is better: a life of neutrality, or of great good and evil? I would say, neither are good lives, but perhaps if you must, good and evil. Life is made to be lived, so do so. A life of neutrality, is in any case, impossible.

This is just my opinion. If you gave me some more time, I would love to discuss, or perhaps mull further over it.

Gabi

Prof B Hunnydew

Why are some people see me as a Rabbit...? ???

:mowcookie
PBH