9/22/06 Clothing mandatory

Started by Netami, September 21, 2006, 08:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Rowne on September 23, 2006, 06:53:35 PM
I hope not.  Pacifist is the magic word for me and if Pyro is such a person, then it'd be grand.

Admittedly though, Furrae already has a pacifist, Aliyka, and I love her dearly.  I wish I had the ability to get people stoned purely by the power of peaceful proposition and persuasion.

Yeah that's cool where my electro battle axe to chopped them up to Pate........... :kruger :kruger :kruger

Weleho Rogan

there just seems to be something.. wrong.. with pacifists.

ofcourse, refraining from killing anyone is all ok with me.. but choosing not to kill when it's the only option to survive and see another day.. that would be just wrong.

The reason why I don't have good thoughts about pacifists is that pacifists are cheaters  :<
afterall, people kill an uncountable amount of other living things during their course of life.
Refraining from killing your own species is all ok with me, but I get sick when I see people who wouldn't defend themselves if it meant that they'd need to kill someone. It just plain goes against the "survival of the fittest"  :tired

I'm so very confused when it comes to pacifists, as I think that most of pacifists just fake it to avoid something.
Also I can't see where the "pacifist needs a strong will" comes from, since when have you needed a strong will to refrain from doing something you don't want to do?  :)
Not nice to say that, but it's a question that'll bugger me forever unless I get answer outta somewehre, might aswell start asking here  :3

Rowne

Quote from: Weleho Rogan on September 23, 2006, 07:08:54 PM.. but choosing not to kill when it's the only option to survive and see another day.. that would be just wrong.

Iono, it's all about moral high-ground really.  What's more important, who you are or your material existance?  For some people, that's a much more difficult question than it is for others.

Quote from: Weleho Rogan on September 23, 2006, 07:08:54 PMafterall, people kill an uncountable amount of other living things during their course of life.

I believe the difference with pacifists is intent.

Quote from: Weleho Rogan on September 23, 2006, 07:08:54 PMIt just plain goes against the "survival of the fittest"  :tired

Which is pretty much just an idea invented by Nietzche and folks similar to him.  There are lots of different ideas out there and everyone is welcome to their own ideological methods, of course.

In practice, nature is a very complex thing and survival of the fittest isn't the only rule that I see.  There are creatures (symbiotic creatures, for example) that manage to live quite peacefully without killing or really harming anything or dying themselves.

Quote from: Weleho Rogan on September 23, 2006, 07:08:54 PMI'm so very confused when it comes to pacifists, as I think that most of pacifists just fake it to avoid something.

Objectively, it's hard to say what motivation each person might have but as I've said, when it comes to the cruncch, it's all just a bunch of ideas.  Raising the roof, that's pretty much what humanity is.

Quote from: Weleho Rogan on September 23, 2006, 07:08:54 PMAlso I can't see where the "pacifist needs a strong will" comes from, since when have you needed a strong will to refrain from doing something you don't want to do?  :)

I think it comes from the idea that if one has an enemy, their enemy is a threat to them.  If one kills their enemy, one is granted an easier life by removing the threat.  If one allows their enemy to live, it means that the threat will always exist and will therefore always loom over them.  That makes life very difficult for a pacifist, one would imagine.

----

Just my thoughts on the matter, I'm a philosophical sort and I couldn't avoid this one.  It called to me.  :/

And now I feel all anal for using quotes ... <.<

ShiningShadow

Well we never know. *And Knowing is half the Battle GI-Joe!!!!!!!*

Rowne

And now I have the theme to Extreme Heroes stuck in my head.

X-TREEEEEEEM *Guitar riff.*

Gaw.

ShiningShadow

I have the remedy *sucks music through your brain with a straw* mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm chocolate........

Rowne

Good luck with that, I don't think there's anything in there!

* Rowne demonstrates this by partaking in his favourite party trick of feeding an industrial girder between his ears.

Zoop!

This, of course, explains a lot.  I'm also reminded of Spock, all we need now is a remote control that makes cheap clockwork clicking noises.

Alondro

Even the Doctor had to admit that the Daleks had to be destroyed!   ;)

When you face an enemy of pure malevolent intent, pacifism is only the best way to ensure you get yourself wiped out.  Someone must fight the enemy, so that the pacifists can live to protest war.  A rather odd little set-up, that is.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

ShiningShadow

But you can't help by destroying a few things explosions etc. Then you have a party *yeahhhhhhhhhhhh* *explosion heard in the background*.......................

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Weleho Rogan on September 23, 2006, 07:08:54 PM
there just seems to be something.. wrong.. with pacifists.

ofcourse, refraining from killing anyone is all ok with me.. but choosing not to kill when it's the only option to survive and see another day.. that would be just wrong.

The reason why I don't have good thoughts about pacifists is that pacifists are cheaters  :<
afterall, people kill an uncountable amount of other living things during their course of life.
Refraining from killing your own species is all ok with me, but I get sick when I see people who wouldn't defend themselves if it meant that they'd need to kill someone. It just plain goes against the "survival of the fittest"  :tired

I'm so very confused when it comes to pacifists, as I think that most of pacifists just fake it to avoid something.
Also I can't see where the "pacifist needs a strong will" comes from, since when have you needed a strong will to refrain from doing something you don't want to do?  :)
Not nice to say that, but it's a question that'll bugger me forever unless I get answer outta somewehre, might aswell start asking here  :3

OK, first off There is no form of defense that requires you to kill another being needlessly... unless you happen to be Allah's Bitch and that's another matter entirely.

Secondly, if you go back far enough in history every Race and Religious affiliation has at some point been at the mercy of another Race or religious affiliation.

The Ideal behind true pacifism has been lost. Pacifism was used as a form of protest in the south, people where "trained" specifically not to react  while being brutalized and humiliated in public Venues that they were not allowed to be seen, so that people in the communities and the world over could see what was going on was wrong.  By not fight fighting back they justified their existence by proving they were not animals and above the animosity around them. They where considered undesirables in a Eugenic society  and were to be considered only ¾ human by the society around them.  

And so we are clear I am a Capitalist  and a Conscientious  Objector, not a pacifist.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: ShiningShadow on September 23, 2006, 07:17:16 PM

While we're on the subject of GI joe... I was in a busness class last year in college and almost everyone includeing myself responded to something the teacher said with "and knowing is half the battle!"

It was actually quite creepy and even the teacher was shocked for a moment. She said we scared her, I started to wonder about Subliminal conditioning and then I couldn't even remember what the teacher had said a few hours later.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Rowne

Alondro: I understand that.

I'm not really a good enough person to uphold the tenets of pacifism (or anarchism) myself, even though I do try.  I was basically just shedding light on the modern pacifistic view.  I'm not Vash, I haven't figured it all out yet.  Someday I might but I was mainly speaking ideologies.

Oh and destroyed is such a subjective word, the Daleks could be destroyed by being regressed to the peoples they were before Daleks came into existance.  If given the option to 'destroy' the Daleks, I'm sure he would.  The problem is that marketing sells a lot of Dalek crap so they won't let him.

ShiningShadow

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 23, 2006, 09:40:41 PM
Quote from: ShiningShadow on September 23, 2006, 07:17:16 PM

While we're on the subject of GI joe... I was in a busness class last year in college and almost everyone includeing myself responded to something the teacher said with "and knowing is half the battle!"

It was actually quite creepy and even the teacher was shocked for a moment. She said we scared her, I started to wonder about Subliminal conditioning and then I couldn't even remember what the teacher had said a few hours later.

I don't know I was around when this show was on the late 80's about the same time when the Transformers was out man I'm old........... :kruger :kruger

Reese Tora

G.I.Joe, TMNT, Ghost Busters, Transformers... ah, my miss-spent youth ^_^
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Rafe

Yeah, really.  You should have been watching Rocko's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy and Duckman
Rafe

Reese Tora

you and your cable :P

In my day, we didn't have cable, we had rocks.  and not even multi colored rocks like you get now adays.  no-sir, we had black rocks, and you had to use your imagination. and we liked it that way. 

(our house didn't have cable, so I could only watch cable when I was sick and got to go to grandma's house for the day instead of going to school.  watching david the gnome on Nickelodeon, which was a better class of show than you get on cable now adays  :laugh )
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Rafe

You've got a point.  Network TV cartoons led by Hanna-Barbera single handedly destroyed animation in the U.S.   Starting around 1960,  the non-violent, politically correct, writen-for-preschooler cartoons took over for more than 30 years.  Cartoons used to be written for adults as well as kids back in the 30's and 40's.  Some of those old WB and MGM cartoons are banned or heavily censored even now.  Hanna-Barbera made me sick, even (gasp) Scooby-Doo.  The cable networks came along and saved us from that, and lo, the Horror that was Hanna-Barbera was crushed and is no more.
Rafe

Netami

On the other hand, stuff like Ren and Stimpy and (especially) Duckman was simply not for kids. I watch some of the older episodes these days and I pick up on a lot more than I did back then, but all I was really absorbing in my youth was retarded crap. Rocko's modern life, while a great show, had a lot of adultish stuff that makes you wonder how the hell it got passed censors (and some of it didn't, as your page shows).

I think we've come a long way with animation and these days it's a good balance, though the asian influence is sort've boring after awhile.

thegayhare

Quote from: Netami on September 24, 2006, 12:18:49 AM
On the other hand, stuff like Ren and Stimpy and (especially) Duckman was simply not for kids. I watch some of the older episodes these days and I pick up on a lot more than I did back then, but all I was really absorbing in my youth was retarded crap. Rocko's modern life, while a great show, had a lot of adultish stuff that makes you wonder how the hell it got passed censors (and some of it didn't, as your page shows).

I think we've come a long way with animation and these days it's a good balance, though the asian influence is sort've boring after awhile.

some stuff changed later on as censors cuaght on

in the first season the resteruant they went to was called Chokey Chicken,  in latter seasons it was named chewy chicken.  then there was the eps when spunky fell in love with a mop... some of the noises were fairly sugestive and the white puddle under the mop head was just shocking

Weleho Rogan

Scooby Doo ain't that PC at all- it's pro drug  :laugh

there was this "scooby doo facts" stuff somehwere on the internet..

ohhh, yes..
Here: http://mypage.direct.ca/h/honl/escooby.html

Rafe

Quote from: thegayhare on September 24, 2006, 12:30:27 AM

some stuff changed later on as censors cuaght on

in the first season the resteruant they went to was called Chokey Chicken,  in latter seasons it was named chewy chicken.  then there was the eps when spunky fell in love with a mop... some of the noises were fairly sugestive and the white puddle under the mop head was just shocking

That scene where Rocko catches Spunky in the closet with the mop was priceless. 

"Are you Dizzy Spunky?!  Do you know what I've mopped up with that thing?  What in blazes were you DOING in there?  ...NO, don't tell me.  It's WRONG!..."

Sounds like you might have seen my "Rocko Zone" website too.
Rafe

Cvstos

Quote from: Reese Tora on September 23, 2006, 10:13:12 PM

Ghostbusters was the best, pure and simple.

"So this is the underworld." - Winston
"Swell.  People are always suggesting I should come here." - Peter
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Zedd

llearch n'n'daCorna

Because if they didn't, they'd degenerate into rubbish and spoil the memory.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Netami

Silverfoxr

'
Quote from: Cvstos on September 24, 2006, 02:34:26 AM

"Swell. People are always suggesting I should come here." - Peter

Egon: 'trans-warp drive'
peter: (half asleep) 'check'
egon: 'ahah caught you we dont have a transwarp drive!'
peter: 'if we dont have one it cant mulfuction, and if it cant mulfuction then nothings wrong - and if nothings wrong - then it checks right!'
egon: .... iam not gonna talk to you for at least a week its not good for me!

:D

Zedd

Ah you really are a princess of quotes Sliver

Edit spelling

Tiger_T

That and a big Real Ghostbusters fan IIRC. :D
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Cvstos

Quote from: Silverfoxr on September 24, 2006, 05:56:12 AM
'
Quote from: Cvstos on September 24, 2006, 02:34:26 AM

"Swell. People are always suggesting I should come here." - Peter

Egon: 'trans-warp drive'
peter: (half asleep) 'check'
egon: 'ahah caught you we dont have a transwarp drive!'
peter: 'if we dont have one it cant mulfuction, and if it cant mulfuction then nothings wrong - and if nothings wrong - then it checks right!'
egon: .... iam not gonna talk to you for at least a week its not good for me!

:D

YES!  XD XD  That was one of my favorites, too.

"I'm awfully glad I didn't really see that, aren't you?" - Peter
"Utterly." - Egon

"So, Peter, have a nice day?
Oh yeah, argued with a hat and a coat rack.
Really?
Yep, nothin' new.  How's 'bout you?" - Peter
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Rafe

Yes, that's all fine and dandy.  They did have good voice talent.  If only they didn't suffer from that horrible HB nine frames-per-second animation and near lack of character expression and politically correct writing.   
(Goes to get more RML stuff)
Rafe