Ex: 05/02/2010 [DMFA#1113] Abel's brain broke

Started by Iapetus, May 03, 2010, 07:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iapetus

*de-lurk*

*reads the thread*

[nitpick]Just for the record, disapproval of homosexuality doesn't necessarily = homophobia. Just sayin'. <_<;; [/nitpick]

*crawls back into obscurity*

M

Quote from: Iapetus on May 03, 2010, 07:21:00 PM
*de-lurk*

*reads the thread*

[nitpick]Just for the record, disapproval of homosexuality doesn't necessarily = homophobia. Just sayin'. <_<;; [/nitpick]

No. Based on the dictionary definition, if you fear, have aversion to, dislike, or otherwise discriminate against homosexuality and gay persons, you are a homophobe. Disapproval (i.e. dislike) of homosexuality does necessarily mean homophobia.

VAE

Quote from: Marmy on May 03, 2010, 08:09:33 PM
Quote from: Iapetus on May 03, 2010, 07:21:00 PM
*de-lurk*

*reads the thread*

No. Based on the dictionary definition, if you fear, have aversion to, dislike, or otherwise discriminate against homosexuality and gay persons, you are a homophobe. Disapproval (i.e. dislike) of homosexuality does necessarily mean homophobia.
Guys, this is a massive threadjack. If you wish, let's take it to outer fortress.

But if you want my word to the battle - the usage of homophobia in this sense is about as honest as drapetomania.
(i am sadly just having the same argument on NS... )
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Scarydragon

Quote from: Marmy on May 03, 2010, 08:09:33 PM

Ok, I'm calling bullshit here. Just because I don't like onions doesn't mean I'm afraid of them.

But I do hate and fear clowns (Damn you Stephen King!). :U
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

M

Quote from: Scarydragon on May 03, 2010, 08:26:16 PM

Ok, I'm calling bullshit here. Just because I don't like onions doesn't mean I'm afraid of them.

Wow, I didn't mean to start something, but yeah, dislike is literally a part of the definition of homophobia. If you have issues with it, I guess you better take it up with Merriam-Webster or something. :V

Congo Jack

Phobia is irrational dislike. However in the term 'homophobia' it is used differently. The term include all negative attitude toward homosexuality be it childish fear of men in drag, widespread prejustice, or "rationalisation" of them being responsible for STD outbreak.

Also: disapproval of homosexuality sounds like disapproval of sunrise - it exist, your opinion is not going to change it.

M

Quote from: Congo Jack on May 04, 2010, 12:04:04 AM
Phobia is irrational dislike. However in the term 'homophobia' it is used differently. The term include all negative attitude toward homosexuality be it childish fear of men in drag, widespread prejustice, or "rationalisation" of them being responsible for STD outbreak.

Also: disapproval of homosexuality sounds like disapproval of sunrise - it exist, your opinion is not going to change it.

Exactly. While homophobia may use the suffix -phobia, it's not really comparable to other phobias. It's pretty much a catch all term for all negative feelings towards gay people. I'll admit it is kind of dumb to use a suffix like -phobia for such a word, but that's that.

(And sorry if I ruffled some feathers. I didn't mean to, honest!)

Baal Hadad

"I HATE sunshine!  I HATE horrible, wholesome sunshine!  I HATE, I HATE it, I HATE, HATE, HATE--"

--Mad Madame Mim, The Sword in the Stone

Sorry, that's just what that made me think of.   :giggle

Unsilenced

Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 04, 2010, 01:16:36 AM

"I HATE sunshine!  I HATE horrible, wholesome sunshine!  I HATE, I HATE it, I HATE, HATE, HATE--"

--Mad Madame Mim, The Sword in the Stone

Sorry, that's just what that made me think of.   :giggle

I hate stairs.
I hate the water.
I hate small towns.
I hate subways...

You know what I don't hate?

I don't hate vests.
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

Scarydragon

Quote from: Marmy on May 03, 2010, 11:40:35 PM
If you have issues with it, I guess you better take it up with Merriam-Webster or something. :V

I guess I'ma go have a talk with Merriam-Webster. *Is holding baseball bat.*

But seriously, I didn't actually mean you were lying, or that I was in any way angry. I just think it's dumb that homophobia is a sort of catchall for any negative attitude towards gay people.

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Drayco84

Quote from: Scarydragon on May 04, 2010, 06:12:10 AM

Amateur... Take this large-print, hardcover dictionary. Yup, it's a genuine Merriam-Webster.

Sofox

So that's what a post with a '0' postcount looks like.

Mao

It wouldn't have 0 replies, but it would technically have 0 views after I split it as it would be a new thread.

Turnsky

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 05, 2010, 07:54:29 PM

Amateur... Take this large-print, hardcover dictionary. Yup, it's a genuine Merriam-Webster.

fff.
i see your webster, and raise you oxford....all 20 volumes

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Drayco84

Brunhidden

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Scarydragon

Bah, I'll just tape two dictionaries together onto the end of the baseball bat to make a Merriam-Wedgehammer! :U

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Drayco84

Quote from: Scarydragon on May 07, 2010, 01:28:20 AM

Bah, I'll just tape two dictionaries together onto the end of the baseball bat to make a Merriam-Wedgehammer! :U

Oh yeah... That'll work nicely...