Cartoon Network Chickened out

Started by thegayhare, October 24, 2008, 12:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

well since its halloween CN decided to air the halloween special from a show they haven't premeried yet.

The show is called 6Teen it's aparently about a group of teen stereotypes who have nothing better to do then hang out in there massive mall. The halloween ep was called "Dude of the dead" and followed a zombie outbreak in said mall.

the show was rather bad in and of itself. I really should have watched saw 2 again instead. but one scene in the show realy annoyed me.

In one scene one of the male chars was bragging about how he'd gotten a job in "nearly naked" the lingerie shop and how there was a peep hole in the dressing rooms. When he was asked why he's the only guy who worked there since it would seem every teen would be queuing up for a job there he replied.

"Every guy in the mall has applied but they usualy don't hire guys."
"Then how did you get a job."
"Oh I told them I was gay"

but cartoon network wussed out and edited the word gay out... and they did it badly they changed it to "Famous" Which doesn;t make sense. They did it again later on. When a zombie was attacking the guy who was looking through the peep hole, two of the other male chars ran in only to be stopped by a femal clerk.

"You can't go in there"
"No it's okay we're "Famous"."
The guy turns to his buddy
"I'll explain later"

Come on thats just cowardice, I mean it's an animated series aimed at older viewers and on rather late at night. In anouther show from the same people that CN has aired "total drama island" they have allowed both male and female nudity, blurred of course, but the word gay is to harsh? jeeze man grow a freaking spine

well it's too soon for the cartoon network footage to be up but I did find the originals with the word left in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rso_xB_RCQE
the scene is at 8.55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjowuzSSFY4
the scene takes place at 1.41

superluser

Oh, man.

Couldn't they have just bleeped it?  That's what they did with Master Shake and his ``Teeth are for gay people, that's why fairies take them away'' bit.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Turnsky

you must remember the larger portion of CN's viewer base. mostly kids who are just as happy watching DBZ or any of Nick's offerings as anything else.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Nikki

I stopped watching Cartoon Network as soon as 'Chowder' went on the air...

I'm glad i did =/ that's just ignorant.

I'm assuming this is late night we're talking about (AKA, Adult Swim).

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

thegayhare

Quote from: Xze-Xze on October 24, 2008, 01:19:43 AM
I stopped watching Cartoon Network as soon as 'Chowder' went on the air...

I'm glad i did =/ that's just ignorant.

I'm assuming this is late night we're talking about (AKA, Adult Swim).

nope it's pre adult swim but still pretty late it aired at 9:30 pm

llearch n'n'daCorna

... All you need to do is get the gay community to pick up the word.

"Are you...?"
"Famous?" *limp wrist* "Oh, definitely, my man."

;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

6Teen?  Cripes that's part of the afternoon 'home from school' line up on tele-toon.  It's a kid's show.  Aimed at early-teens.  Though admittedly they play it at several time slots.  It's good for cheap laughs though.

thegayhare

if you want to see the edited version you can see it here

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/video/dlink/index.html?episodeID=8a25c3921cffc260011d02f256c800f8

it's chopped up into 5 minute sections the scenes are in section 2 and 3

Azlan

I wish this could just stop, I mean gay is just... so old now, so 2007.  Gay, not gay... so what, people are people.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

rabid_fox

It's clearly a heterosexual conspiracy to purge the world of faggyosity one censorship at a time.

Oh dear.

Alondro

*Charles starts a new alternative lifestyle craze, because 'gay' became passe with the emergence of metrosexualism.  Plus, if anyone who is not gay says something about 'gayness', they are homophobic and will be executed by the PC Police.*

So, here's my new lifestyle!  I call it, 'vegephilia'.

There's actually plant pr0n everywhere!!  A flower is like a hermaphrodite!  The stamen is like its boner!  And it's NAKED!!! ZOMG!!   :U

Tulip sexx0rz roxx0rz my boxx0rz!!!   :B

*Charles is, in fact, being sarcastic.  He thinks all lifestyles are stupid and everyone should just sit in their rooms and die, so he can repopulate the world with his super-mutant clones and spread out to conquere the universe*   :mwaha

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

ShadesFox

As much as  I want to blame Cartoon Network... I just can't.  They are right, if they did say gay SOMEONE was going to complain to the FCC.  This is why I say society would be better served if there were roving mobs armed with baseball bats dispensing vigilante justice.

Or maybe we should have a cookout.  In the lawn of one of those people, the ones belonging to the concerned moms against everything groups.

And I have seen people still using gay as some sort of insult.  Got one in an email from a student X3
The All Purpose Fox

Zina

6Teen is a terrible show aimed at pre-teens.

Seriously, the network airs shows like Metalocalypse, Venture Bros, Robot Chicken, Moral Oral, Chowder, Flapjack and others. Just because they changed the dialogue in one show aimed at 14 year olds, the network is "cowardly" and "ignorant"?

whaaaaaaat.

thegayhare

Quote from: Zina on October 24, 2008, 08:37:55 PM
6Teen is a terrible show aimed at pre-teens.

Seriously, the network airs shows like Metalocalypse, Venture Bros, Robot Chicken, Moral Oral, Chowder, Flapjack and others. Just because they changed the dialogue in one show aimed at 14 year olds, the network is "cowardly" and "ignorant"?

whaaaaaaat.

I agree from what I've seen 6teen is a terrible show

technically chowder and flapjack are the only ones from cartoon network proper the others are on adult swim which is almost a seperate network.

chowder and flapjack both practice gross out comedy frome time to time,  Some of there other shows such as the new clone wars show has some rather violent scenes with death on large scale.  even in this ep of 6teen there was some rather graphic violance (severed limbs, decapitations, and vivisection)  but they were scared of the word gay.

so they weren't scared of all that gore or Owen walking naked through ever other ep but the word gay is too much for cartoon network

FurrySurvey

Never heard of the show (don't have Cartoon Network here) but it's still a shame when a show has to be compromised like that. Reminds me of a similar deal with Angry Beavers - which was even more trivial. They censored "shut up."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Angry_Beavers#Censorship

Jer-oh-me

Well that's paranoid fear of the FCC for you, and besides when does executive meddling ever make sense?

Rakala

There are no good shows left. I watched Rugrats until I was into my pre-teens. Spongebob came on air and it ruined most cartoons for me. Thankfully most of Cartoon Network was still fine until Billy and Mandy just became a huge gross-out show, although I do like their version of Dracula. At this point I'm down to three or four shows a week. Myth Busters, True Blood, Cash Cab, and whenever they have new episodes The Venture Brothers.

DarkAudit

Quote from: Jer-oh-me on October 26, 2008, 12:30:03 AM
Well that's paranoid fear of the FCC for you, and besides when does executive meddling ever make sense?

The FCC has no authority over cable stations when it comes to content. Some in Congress are threatening to change that, but as for now, they police themselves.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Caswin

Quote from: Rakala on October 26, 2008, 12:39:05 AM
There are no good shows left. I watched Rugrats until I was into my pre-teens. Spongebob came on air and it ruined most cartoons for me. Thankfully most of Cartoon Network was still fine until Billy and Mandy just became a huge gross-out show, although I do like their version of Dracula. At this point I'm down to three or four shows a week. Myth Busters, True Blood, Cash Cab, and whenever they have new episodes The Venture Brothers.
Wouldn't that mean there are (at least) three or four good shows left?  (Heck, I liked Spongebob, at least in its better seasons.)
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

superluser

Quote from: DarkAudit on November 04, 2008, 07:58:19 PMThe FCC has no authority over cable stations when it comes to content. Some in Congress are threatening to change that, but as for now, they police themselves.

It would be difficult for such a law to pass constitutional muster.  The airwaves are regulated because they are a limited resource.  No such limitation exists for cable, since anyone can run their own wires.

Valynth

Quote from: superluser on November 05, 2008, 01:17:40 AM
Quote from: DarkAudit on November 04, 2008, 07:58:19 PMThe FCC has no authority over cable stations when it comes to content. Some in Congress are threatening to change that, but as for now, they police themselves.

It would be difficult for such a law to pass constitutional muster.  The airwaves are regulated because they are a limited resource.  No such limitation exists for cable, since anyone can run their own wires.

That's cable companies, Cartoon Network is a broadcasting company and thus has to obey the various cable companies that are willing run their programing on a channel.  If one of the major cable companies complains, CN risks getting booted out of that listing and loosing ad revenue as a result.

Thus they typically only run crap that no one finds offensive.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on November 05, 2008, 03:17:36 AMThat's cable companies, Cartoon Network is a broadcasting company and thus has to obey the various cable companies that are willing run their programing on a channel.  If one of the major cable companies complains, CN risks getting booted out of that listing and loosing ad revenue as a result.

Thus they typically only run crap that no one finds offensive.

I was talking about what the FCC could do.  Private businesses are still allowed to censor whatever they want so long as they own the medium.

Valynth

Quote from: superluser on November 05, 2008, 04:07:40 AM
I was talking about what the FCC could do.  Private businesses are still allowed to censor whatever they want so long as they own the medium.

And Cartoon Network doesn't own the medium.  See my logic?
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on November 05, 2008, 12:39:40 PM
Quote from: superluser on November 05, 2008, 04:07:40 AMI was talking about what the FCC could do.  Private businesses are still allowed to censor whatever they want so long as they own the medium.

... I'm forced to say that I do not.  We were discussing the FCC.

Valynth

Quote from: superluser on November 05, 2008, 01:00:45 PM
Quote from: Valynth on November 05, 2008, 12:39:40 PM
Quote from: superluser on November 05, 2008, 04:07:40 AMI was talking about what the FCC could do.  Private businesses are still allowed to censor whatever they want so long as they own the medium.
... I'm forced to say that I do not.  We were discussing the FCC.

*sigh*  by you own admission a company can not be censored if it owns the medium.  Cartoon Network does not own the medium of transfer (the cable).  As such it CAN be censored.  The primary goal of the FCC is to censor.  Thus the FCC does have bearing on what Cartoon Network can show.

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on November 05, 2008, 01:27:32 PM*sigh*  by you own admission a company can not be censored if it owns the medium.  Cartoon Network does not own the medium of transfer (the cable).  As such it CAN be censored.  The primary goal of the FCC is to censor.  Thus the FCC does have bearing on what Cartoon Network can show.

Whoa.

Where to even begin?  The FCC was established ``for the purpose of regulating interstate and foreign commerce in communication by wire and radio so as to make available, so far as possible, to all the people of the United States, without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex, a rapid, efficient, Nationwide, and world-wide wire and radio communication service with adequate facilities at reasonable charges, for the purpose of the national defense, for the purpose of promoting safety of life and property through the use of wire and radio communication''

It does not have the goal of censorship.  That concept was added later, but the primary goal of the FCC is still to make sure that radio signals don't interfere with each other.

While Cartoon Network does not own the cable infrastructure, Time Warner Cable (or Comcast, or whatever) does own the cable infrastructure.  They can censor anything on their network, but it's censored by Time Warner (or Comcast, or whatever), *not* the FCC.

Further, as ACLU v. Reno stated,  ``the special factors recognized in some of the Court's cases as justifying regulation of the broadcast media--the history of extensive government regulation of broadcasting, see, e.g., Red Lion Broadcasting Co. v. FCC, 395 U.S. 367, 399 -400; the scarcity of available frequencies at its inception, see, e.g., Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. v. FCC, 512 U.S. 622, 637 -638; and its "invasive" nature, see Sable Communications of Cal., Inc. v. FCC, 492 U.S. 115, 128 --are not present in cyberspace. Thus, these cases provide no basis for qualifying the level of First Amendment scrutiny that should be applied to the Internet.''  I see no reason why cable should be any different than the internet.

They could try to regulate it, but as I said, it would be very difficult to make a bill that would pass constitutional muster.

DarkAudit

If I ran George Carlin's "Seven Words" bit unbleeped at 8pm EST on your typical CBS station anywhere in the US, the FCC could fine the living (expletive deleted) out of me.

If I ran the same bit on Cartoon Network at the same time of evening, the FCC couldn't do jack. The cable providers may get a ton of complaints, but the *FCC* couldn't do anything.

The fact that cable networks like Comedy Central *do* in fact bleep content is purely a business decision on their part.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

superluser

Also, I knew that there was something going on about this, but I couldn't find any news articles.

And now I have.  High court conservatives favor indecency rule.

Ted Schiller

Quote from: thegayhare on October 24, 2008, 12:03:38 AM
(snip)
In one scene one of the male chars was bragging about how he'd gotten a job in "nearly naked" the lingerie shop and how there was a peep hole in the dressing rooms. When he was asked why he's the only guy who worked there since it would seem every teen would be queuing up for a job there he replied.

"Every guy in the mall has applied but they usualy don't hire guys."
"Then how did you get a job."
"Oh I told them I was gay"

(snip)

There was a peep hole in the dressing rooms.  And they usually only hire females.

[Arsenio Hall voice]
These are things that make you go, "Hmmm....."
[/Arsenio Hall voice]

With regards,
Ted