I think I might have a problem.

Started by GabrielsThoughts, November 01, 2007, 07:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

http://www.gregholland.com/valiant/issue.asp?cn=1269

apperently there already is a comic with the intitials NIO, which I dicovered about five minutes ago, it looks japanese, and I have no idea what the intitials stand nor any clue what I would re-name the comic if I was planning on publishing it in the future. I'm not even sure which forum I should be posting this in. Any help or suggestions will be helpfull

I've concidered the title GRiLLED as an alternate title with a little 'i' with or a crop circle or something
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Damaris

Titles are not copywritten, and most certainly not initial sets.  What are you planning on calling your comic, exactly?  Because if you call it one thing, you cannot possibly help what other people shorten it to.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

techmaster-glitch

Not Intentionally Obsessive...that is the name of his art thread for said comic, is it not?

superluser

Quote from: Damaris on November 01, 2007, 11:17:09 PMTitles are not copywritten

But they can be trademarked.  In fact, NIO is a registered trademark for a few markets, but not for a comic.  Be aware, however, that this may be an unregistered trademark.  I know precious little about that type of trademark.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

techmaster-glitch

Really, we are talking about an acronym. You can't copywrite or tardemark acronyms. Why? Because I once put in a Wikipedia search for DMFA and got alot of different results, none of them were actually Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures. So as long as they stand for something different, you can have similar acronyms.

Darkmoon

That's not true. You can Trademark an acronym. However, a trademark is only enforceable within the given confines of your business type. A business that makes thumbtacks exclusively (as a weird example) under the name NIO could have that trademark for all thumbtack business under the name NIO. However, someone else, like a comic artist, can use the initials of NIO without it being the same trademark, as their not in the same business market.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

superluser

Quote from: Darkmoon on November 02, 2007, 01:07:16 AM
That's not true. You can Trademark an acronym. However, a trademark is only enforceable within the given confines of your business type. A business that makes thumbtacks exclusively (as a weird example) under the name NIO could have that trademark for all thumbtack business under the name NIO. However, someone else, like a comic artist, can use the initials of NIO without it being the same trademark, as their not in the same business market.

Yup.

NIO is a registered trademark of PPL TRADING INC., where it is used for paper products, namely, toilet paper, paper towel, paper napkin and facial paper.

NIO seems to have also been a registered trademark of Barco, where it was used for display screens.  It seems that they have allowed it to lapse, but both trademarks seem to have existed simultaneously.

Darkmoon

And treademarks require the rights holder to enforce it. There's no felony-style illegality to violating a traemark. You only can be sued for it.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Damaris

Just don't use the initials yourself.  Like I said, you cannot possibly be responsible for the way your readers shorten the comic name.  (And snarky Mr. Techmaster: If I kept track of all the comic threads and their names, I'd be Llearch.  There was no reason to be rude.  I'd suggest seeing a doctor for that stick.)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Damaris on November 02, 2007, 11:24:24 AM
Just don't use the initials yourself.  Like I said, you cannot possibly be responsible for the way your readers shorten the comic name.  (And snarky Mr. Techmaster: If I kept track of all the comic threads and their names, I'd be Llearch.  There was no reason to be rude.  I'd suggest seeing a doctor for that stick.)

Bwahahahahahaha! ;-]

(Although, technically it's llearch, not Llearch...)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Omega

Quote from: Damaris on November 02, 2007, 11:24:24 AM
I'd suggest seeing a doctor for that stick.)
*takes a look at the stick*

Don't worry. It'll fall off in few days.

But lemme write you a description just in case.

superluser

Quote from: Damaris on November 02, 2007, 11:24:24 AMJust don't use the initials yourself.  Like I said, you cannot possibly be responsible for the way your readers shorten the comic name.

Well, technically, you...

*Sees Damaris warming up her eye beams--revises the remainder of the sentence*

...should talk to your own lawyer before trusting any legal advice that you read on internet forums.