He never gives up.

Started by TheDXM, September 18, 2007, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDXM

Ryudo Lee

This is coming from the guy who also said his physical safety was being threatened by an animated AIM icon.  Kudos to Rockstar for that.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

bill

Congratulations, you have given Jack Thompson publicity, which is what he wants.

Caswin

I may never get over that debate of his with Adam Sessler.

Why, Adam, WHYYY?
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Zedd

Quote from: Caswin on September 18, 2007, 05:40:00 PM
I may never get over that debate of his with Adam Sessler.

Why, Adam, WHYYY?
WRYYYYYY!!!! 

lucas marcone

if the conservitives ban games how much longer till they can ban other things for the "good" of society. it makes me so sad. i want to leave the country but there are few other countries i would consider going to.

Boog

No reason to get depressed. After all, nobody's really dumb enough to enforce what he says other than his scaring a few stores into being stricter about games. I've yet to be effected by his constant blathering. Just sit back and enjoy the show. After all, everyone loves a good clown.

lucas marcone

I look at how compliant people in America are being. Polititians are basicly rapeing us of our freedoms right now. Game regulation by the government seems to be not that far of a streach. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Then again with the patriot act it's only a matter of time before we get a president with a stronger air of a dictator about him and he beats the snot out of it and we lose even more rights.

Man I hate being a pessimist.

Valynth

Quote from: lucas marcone on September 18, 2007, 08:11:12 PM
if the conservitives ban games how much longer till they can ban other things for the "good" of society. it makes me so sad. i want to leave the country but there are few other countries i would consider going to.

Considering how EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING is lethal to society in the right doses, they'd have to ban everything.

Of course, they don't think that far ahead until they're actually carrying out a ban on water consumption act and even then they won't see their own faults.

Also Lucas, you forget one tiny little thing....  WE VOTE FOR OUR LEADERS YOU DIP!
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

techmaster-glitch

No exactly. That would be the electoral college. Bush is an incompetant butthead, and he has lost the popular vote in both his elections. But he still got prez job because of the electoral system. This is not the first time people have questioned it's reliability.
The second problem is that I believe the last time I read (I could be terribly of the mark here, btw) only about 50% of eligable voting citizens actually vote.
America, which has fought for equal-rights voting ever since it's foundation, has finally achieved it, but now we're in a lazy slump :< It sucks.

Back on topic: J.T. is an asshole trying to force his religion and choices on others. There's a damn good reason there is a "separation of church and state", J.T. you fool.
'nuff said.

Caswin

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 18, 2007, 09:51:00 PMBush is an incompetant butthead
Comes with the job these days.
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 18, 2007, 09:51:00 PMBack on topic: J.T. is an asshole trying to force his religion and choices on others. There's a damn good reason there is a "separation of church and state", J.T. you fool.
Yeah... if you want to separate small children and 'M'-rated games, quoting poorly-researched scripture left and right isn't the best way to go about it.  I do think that stores should be stricter about who they sell them to, but whatever the right way is to do that, Jack's not doing it.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Zedd

Basicly...Jack should blame the parents not the game makers or the stock owners of it.....Its planey simple!

TheDXM

I think the reason Jack has ever gained any sympathy at all is because he is playing a safe card and one that has been played many times before. He identifies, in the public eye, directly with the American parent's amazing tendancy to make ignorant excuses about their own deficiency when bringing up their child. Pretty much throughout all of time, parents sought external sources such as media or schooling to blame the behavior of their child on instead of their own failure to provide a healthy environment for them to mentally and emotionally develop.

There are, in fact, contrary to whatever Jack Thompson would tell you, laws that prevent anyone younger than 17 years of age from buying mature rated games WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. And if your store is caught selling to underagers, you can expect alot of garbage on your porch in the morning over it. Also, as it turns out, the video game retailers of the world are actually more vigilant in preventing inappropriate sale to underagers than retailers of other forms of media, such as music and videos.

Ryudo Lee

I seem to remember him wanting to block the release of Bully as well.  That went over real well, didn't it? </sarcasm>

Caswin

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on September 19, 2007, 09:09:05 AM
I seem to remember him wanting to block the release of Bully as well.  That went over real well, didn't it? </sarcasm>
That actually came up during his debate with Adam.  I'm afraid to say that the exchange actually went well for Jack - he cited some actual extreme-sounding stuff from the promotion material, and when Adam pointed out that that wasn't in the final game, he followed it with the claim that this might have been the result of pressure on the developers.

Adam... kind of ignored that, and for want of a decent counter-argument, he might have something there.
Yap yap.

thegayhare

he's also tried to block the sale of warriors by saying the movie it was based on caused gang violence to increase so the video game would cause even more.

he also sued burger king for promoting a game system that Manhunt 2 was being released on and by association bburger king was promoting manhunt 2

lucas marcone

It's funny that republicans claim to the the party of God when our founding fathers clearly stated that our laws were never ment to be based in religion.

Sure people will claim our fundemental laws reflect christian ideals, but they have to realize most peaceful religions have the same basic fundementals. Dont kill, dont steal, shut up and play nice, it's all pretty transferable to any other religion I've encountered.

That's also why I laugh inside when people whine about how they think gay marrage is wrong, but that's for another time to discuss.

Zedd

Its werid when you relize that he needs to be tied down to play any game

Caswin

Quote from: lucas marcone on September 19, 2007, 03:03:35 PMI laugh inside when people whine about how they think gay marrage is wrong, but that's for another time to discuss.
What, and the rest wasn't?

When did we start talking about the moral standards (the first person to make a "there are none" joke will be set upon by Mows; it's not pleasant) of the United States?

EDIT: ...although now I'm curious, when have the Republicans claimed to be "the party of God"?
Yap yap.

lucas marcone

they have been claiming to the the party of god like forever. i just brought it up becaue "christian morals" are the basis for all his arguements

Caswin

Quote from: lucas marcone on September 19, 2007, 09:23:47 PM
they have been claiming to the the party of god like forever.
I want examples.  Just one or two.
Quote from: lucas marcone on September 19, 2007, 09:23:47 PMi just brought it up becaue "christian morals" are the basis for all his arguements
Who?  Bush?  Apart from the fact that I don't see what's wrong with using that as a basis (even if most religions do agree on the basics, that hardly makes it weak), I don't recall "Christian morals" ever popping up in a speech.
Yap yap.

lucas marcone

i was talking about the lawyer trying to censor games....you know the one the threads about. people like him say our laws are based in scripture and that everyone has to live by the bible's codes or be imprisoned. but the fact is our laws are based on the needs of a civilized people. we only have these laws to keep peace. out founding fathers wanted us to be free and happy not religious fanatics like this man.

and bush uses god in his decisions and speaches alot really. but in all the wrog ways. but that's another topic for another time.

Caswin

Quote from: lucas marcone on September 19, 2007, 09:34:41 PM
i was talking about the lawyer trying to censor games....you know the one the threads about.
Ah, right, sorry.  I was going by what your last few posts were about.

Carry on, everybody.
Yap yap.

superluser

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

Goatmon

Now you have descended this low - using one of your games to threaten my physical safety...

What the hell?  He really has lost it, if that's his reasoning behind the lawsuit.  I mean, to take offense at it, I can understand, but taking that as a personal threat?  Wow. 

Valynth

That would imply him having it at one point, which I doubt very much
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Zedd

When he has a point when I shoot him point blank with .45 aprins

Ryudo Lee

Man, the Florida Bar Association must really be lenient.  If he'd have pulled this kind of stunt down here, he'd have been investigated and kicked out so fast it'd make his head spin.

superluser

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on September 27, 2007, 09:25:04 AMMan, the Florida Bar Association must really be lenient.

Seems that way.

Also in the Florida bar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZigCwRhI8
(note: this ad aired in a state in which he does not live)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?