Hello new

Started by Lying Foo, July 07, 2012, 05:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lying Foo

The recent turn of events in DMFA has inspired me to finally buckle down and register.  The name is meant to be a pun on Nethack fans' habit of referring to incubi and succubi collectively as "foocubi."  ("Foo" being a common placeholder when explaining protocols.)

What is karma?  All I can find in the rules and FAQ is a reference in the rules to not reporting someone for giving you bad karma.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 07, 2012, 05:26:36 AM
What is karma?  All I can find in the rules and FAQ is a reference in the rules to not reporting someone for giving you bad karma.
I guess it's basically a "like/dislike" system, so if someone dislikes what you say or praise you, they give you plus or minus karma, respectively. Or it might refer to something bad happening to someone after they do something bad. (like them losing their wallet after stealing something)

Oh and welcome!

(credit: Gabi)

Lying Foo

Where, though?  Does it only show up after you've n posts, or +n karma/net karma yourself?
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

llearch n'n'daCorna

The recent turn of events in DMFA has inspired me to finally buckle down and register.  The name is meant to be a pun on Nethack fans' habit of referring to incubi and succubi collectively as "foocubi."  ("Foo" being a common placeholder when explaining protocols.)

I spose we've already got a baz, if you strangle the spelling a little. All we need now is a bar, and we've got a full set.

... and who doesn't like a bar?

What is karma?  All I can find in the rules and FAQ is a reference in the rules to not reporting someone for giving you bad karma.

Karma is on the left hand side of every post. On your own posts, you'll see "Karma: +0/-0"; on other people's posts, you'll see two links underneath, currently titled "[smite]" and "[applaud]". If you select the smite option, it will increase the +ve number for that user; if you select the applaud option, it will increase the -ve number.

Note that the mods (that's us lot, as listed in the rules) will tend to move those around, change the names, et al, so this explanation may be of less use than expected if you're not around soon enough.

The system as a whole is somewhat amenable to abuse, since while normal users can only select one option per 15 minutes, mods can click somewhat more frequently, resulting in numbers like the ones Darkmoon has. Or Mab. Or Damaris... I believe, although it's been a while now, that you can only add to it after you've made a number of posts, or been on the forum a little while, or something. That may be incorrect, it may be _other_ parts of the forum that are limited. But you get the idea.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

Abuse? Whatever do you mean?
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Mao

I am shocked and appalled that someone would *abuse* our noble and righteous karma system!  D:<

*jacks Darkmoon's applause up by 50*

Brunhidden

Quote from: Mao Laoren on July 07, 2012, 12:48:43 PM
I am shocked and appalled that someone would *abuse* our noble and righteous karma system!  D:<

*jacks Darkmoon's applause up by 50*

seriously mao, that could have been said by someone with LESS potential for rapeface.

typically its a way to 'win' the internet by having a post that seriously makes others pee themselves laughing or hits like a bag full of truth hammers that you just gotta give it props. also note that the lable of the karma will occasionally change to other words, its just flavor

we all have a flavor, says the chef of suspicious meat acquisition
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Lying Foo

15 posts, I guess.

...wait, so "smiting" is good and "applause" is bad?  Or is it that + is bad and - is good?

(And this seems like as good a place as any to point out that the rules seem to be gone...?)

Mao

The Rules and FAQ still show up for me. o.o

Edit:  Hmm, wait.  No.  That was a cached version.  I'll speak to DM about that asap.
Edit 2:  Looked into it.  It's known about and was/is in the process of being fixed.  Just a temporary thing.  Good catch, though!

Also, don't take the karma system seriously.  It's ripe for abuse and intentionally named odd things by the moderation staff for laughs.  Heck, my karma has been switched and artificially inflated several times.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Mao on July 17, 2012, 03:24:59 PM
Also, don't take the karma system seriously.  It's ripe for abuse and intentionally named odd things by the moderation staff for laughs.  Heck, my karma has been switched and artificially inflated several times.
hmm, I was wondering what was going on when I noticed that :P

(credit: Gabi)