To hell with the police!

Started by Teroniss, January 16, 2010, 11:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teroniss

I applied for the sheriff department of my county several months ago. Went through all the details, got to my polygraph, had a few weird things in my past but nothing overtly illegal, and I told the truth about them. Never lied even once. Spoke to my background investigator after my assignment to him, barely spoke to him since then despite my efforts to do so. (Never returned any of my messages.) My application goes off to a hiring committee that's never even met me, and I get a letter today telling me I'm declined and never allowed to re-apply because of moral character. Fuck the police! (pardon my language but I'm more pissed than I've ever been.)

techmaster-glitch

eeee...that does rather suck. Sorry man :mowsad

You live in...Texas? Hmm. Not sure what to make of that...

Kenji

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 17, 2010, 12:08:30 AM
You live in...Texas? Hmm. Not sure what to make of that...

Shoulda preached Jesus, lawdy lawdy, then said everyone should be put in the chair.
Woulda got the job then. :)

Teroniss

Damn, I knew I was doing something wrong by being an anti-death penalty athiest.

thegayhare

Quote from: Teroniss on January 17, 2010, 12:55:47 AM
Damn, I knew I was doing something wrong by being an anti-death penalty athiest.

Wait hon are you an athiest?

I only ask cause that can actualy be used to deny you a position in certian states It's actaly on somew low books that athiests can't hold public office

Teroniss

Quote from: thegayhare on January 17, 2010, 01:13:04 AM

I only ask cause that can actualy be used to deny you a position in certian states It's actaly on somew low books that athiests can't hold public office

A. I never mentioned that I was an athiest to them tgh. B. Texas law prohibits denial for employment based on race, religion or ethnic background.

Netrogo

Quote from: Teroniss on January 17, 2010, 01:19:20 AM
A. I never mentioned that I was an athiest to them tgh. B. Texas law prohibits denial for employment based on race, religion or ethnic background.

SAYS that they can't deny it, that's what the 'moral character' thing is for. Then they can claim you're a terrible person for no reason.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

thegayhare

Quote from: Teroniss on January 17, 2010, 01:19:20 AM
Quote from: thegayhare on January 17, 2010, 01:13:04 AM

sorry hon I wasn't sure about Texas all I do know is that the constitutions of 7 states have a religous litmus test that would forbid athiests from holding public office.  I'm not sure how that would apply to police since I could see arguments put forth that it is a public office.

I blame the whole issue on the murky language of moral character that they used to deny you.  It doesn't tell you anything at all   Hell for all we know it could be anything.  hell they could have just wanted to deny you for no reason and Moral character was a good non explanation explanation.

And truth be told I don't know what you said to them, I just took a guess at something you said in your post.  It seemed like something that could happen and it could easily fall under some idiots definition of a moral character fault

Teroniss

At this point I am just utterly pissed by the whole situation. By all accounts, none of my references were never called, I was never payed the customary courtesy visit to observe my dwelling situation, I don't even think my previous employers were contacted.

The times I was able to get ahold of my background investigator, he would constantly mispell my name or misplace my file, and the times I couldn't contact him, I would never be able to get any kind of update. Hell, he is suppose to let me know when my file has gone before the board, but he never did.

Hell, with how little contact with my investigator after the initial interview I had, I may as well have been judged by people who don't even know who I am, let alone the kind of character I have.....

thegayhare

Reese Tora

The mention of a polygraph test raised red flags to me; polygraph is bullshit of the highest order, and it's only really useful for the intimidation factor.  I would think twice about working for any institution that includes a polygraph as part of the hiring process, and I would guess that the polygraph results might be the reason for your rejection depending on what sort of questions were asked.

Here's hoping whatever your next step is goes well for you. :)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Netrogo

Quote from: Teroniss on January 17, 2010, 01:55:03 AM
At this point I am just utterly pissed by the whole situation. By all accounts, none of my references were never called, I was never payed the customary courtesy visit to observe my dwelling situation, I don't even think my previous employers were contacted.

The times I was able to get ahold of my background investigator, he would constantly mispell my name or misplace my file, and the times I couldn't contact him, I would never be able to get any kind of update. Hell, he is suppose to let me know when my file has gone before the board, but he never did.

Hell, with how little contact with my investigator after the initial interview I had, I may as well have been judged by people who don't even know who I am, let alone the kind of character I have.....

If this is the case then I'd recommend taking this up with your local government representative. I dunno how things work down there in the US but up here we talk to the local gov rep who then takes this shit higher up, usually because it makes them look good 'round election time having stood up for [insert little guy here].
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Mao

I'd say that, given that your reaction to them not hiring you was to come here and bad mouth the organization involved with rather strong language, you might not be what they want in a policeman. 

superluser

Quote from: Reese Tora on January 17, 2010, 04:22:16 AMThe mention of a polygraph test raised red flags to me; polygraph is bullshit of the highest order, and it's only really useful for the intimidation factor.  I would think twice about working for any institution that includes a polygraph as part of the hiring process, and I would guess that the polygraph results might be the reason for your rejection depending on what sort of questions were asked.

I'm not sure, but I think it's SOP for law enforcement hiring to involve a polygraph.  Yeah, it's dumb.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Sofox

My advice would be as follows.
While Netrogo means well, I'd be cautious about talking to a government representative, the police might see it as you going behind their back and while you can keep it as an option, don't act on it unless you don't have anything else.
Next, find someone to contact. Someone involved in your job application, maybe the people who sent you the letter, and then write a letter to them.
Make sure there is absolutely no anger, blame or any sort of attack in your letter. Just keep the tone, calm, reasonable and curious, treat the letter as another job interview where you want to come off as best as you can.
In the letter, express your situation calmly and clearly. Say that if they don't want to hire you, you fully accept their decision, but that you'd really like to understand why they refused you. Be careful about explaining the situation with your background investigator. You don't want to make it seem like you're trying to blame or attack him. Maybe make an offhand comment about how you haven't been able to contact him.

In the end, it's your own letter and life, and you should write it in your own words, just try to come across as an extremely reasonable person asking you for help on something that you are confused about.
Then just see where it goes from there.

Valynth

Quote from: Teroniss on January 17, 2010, 01:55:03 AM

That seems fairly typical for government employment procedure.

Odds are there was an insider who also wanted your job, but was less qualified for it, but he had enough clout to pull strings and get hired in your stead.

Happens all the time for government jobs and yet for some reason people see this system as the best way to run everything....  And yes I do literally mean EVERYTHING...  Then they wonder why the world is going to shit....
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Tipod

This being southern police, I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually denying you for being too smart/educated. You think I'm joking, but this has actually happened in cities like San Francisco, denying people positions in the SFPD for being brighter than other applicants.
"How is it that I should not worship Him who created me?"
"Indeed, I do not know why."

Reese Tora

Quote from: Tipod on January 18, 2010, 02:54:07 AM
This being southern police, I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually denying you for being too smart/educated. You think I'm joking, but this has actually happened in cities like San Francisco, denying people positions in the SFPD for being brighter than other applicants.

I know that you can be considered over educated for some teaching posts since having a higher degree than necessary can mean having to pay you more than a teacher that just meets requirements.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation