So, I heard you like mudkips?

Started by Castle Pokemetroid, July 06, 2007, 02:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Castle Pokemetroid

Boredom will do things to a guy. Are they out of charater any?

Mudkip sprites by JoshR_691.

Edit:
I didn't resize it any, but yet it looks like it's qualitly has been distroyed...

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

AngelSephy

Note: Don't save sprite comics as .jpeg's as it will take away from the quality of the comic.

With that aside, it looks cute. X3 Someone apparently visits 4chan or ED, or both! And yes, I liek* mudkipz too! I hope DMoon get's his mudkip trained well! lol

* = misspelled on purpose

Darkmoon

Valynth

I wish I cared about getting the joke.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Castle Pokemetroid

Quote from: AngelSephy on July 06, 2007, 10:59:17 PM
Note: Don't save sprite comics as .jpeg's as it will take away from the quality of the comic.

Oh, I see now. What should I save it as then?

And Dmoon, I did make it with paint.

GabrielsThoughts

first you go to save as then you can select how you want to save it.

EDIT: in MS Paint you have the options Gif, tif, png, Jpeg, 24bit, monochrome, the list goes on.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

xHaZxMaTx

You won't lose any quality saving as a .PNG or .BMP, but the file will be pretty big.  I'd suggest saving as a .GIF; there may be some loss of colour information, but seeing as sprites usually use basic colours, that shouldn't be a problem, and the file size will be more manageable.

Darkmoon

Also, I'd suggest using white lettering, bolded, for the font. The dark colors aren't playing well on the background you've chosen.

And I still don't get the joke. Like, I understand the context, but I don't see the funny.

Castle Pokemetroid

Quote from: Darkmoon on July 07, 2007, 10:48:04 PM
Also, I'd suggest using white lettering, bolded, for the font. The dark colors aren't playing well on the background you've chosen.

And I still don't get the joke. Like, I understand the context, but I don't see the funny.

I don't have many backrounds to choose as, acually.

I saved it as a gif.

And, I never did say that there was a punchline, did I? I'm never good with the funny. Look at the vid in my sig. That's my best attempt at it.

(BTW, how do you make the text glow Dmoon?)

xHaZxMaTx

Well, the .GIF helped with the noise, but the pattern dither doesn't really look much better. :/  What type of .GIF did you save it as, specifically?  You could try saving it as a 256-color .BMP.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on July 09, 2007, 03:36:13 AM
Well, the .GIF helped with the noise, but the pattern dither doesn't really look much better. :/  What type of .GIF did you save it as, specifically?  You could try saving it as a 256-color .BMP.
*shakes head* Um, people... There is a format *perfect* for comics and sprites. It is lossless, the file-size is reasonable, and is supported by all browsers. Just save as PNG!

Even MS Paint will save as PNG!

If, for some reason, you cannot save as PNG, simply save as 24-bit BMP, then convert to PNG. If you have windows, a program like IrfanView would convert it(also, you can us it to optimize it, reducing the file-size further).

Personally, If I edit any file through MS Paint, or any image that ends up as one layer, I will always save a copy as PNG(more than one layer, I save as XCF[gimp]).

I could save stuff as JPEG, however that would be lossy, and well, while I might upload a JPEG copy, I always try to also upload a PNG copy.

Just my $0.02.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Darkmoon

If you read the guest comics area, you'll notice that it states to do the text glows, you need to have photoshop. MSPaint simply won't support that kind of styling.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on July 09, 2007, 07:07:11 AM
*shakes head* Um, people... There is a format *perfect* for comics and sprites. It is lossless, the file-size is reasonable, and is supported by all browsers. Just save as PNG!

IE6 doesn't support transparency on PNGs. I don't know if IE7 does, either.

xHaZxMaTx

IE7 does.  However, .PNGs are a lossless format, and even though they are smaller than a 24-bit .BMP file, they are still relatively large, which is why the majority of image file files you see online are .JPGs and .GIFs.  I know, I suggested using a .BMP, but not a lossless kind; as I explained earlier, sprites tend to not use many complicated colours, so a lack of color information in a 256-colour .BMP is hardly a problem, and it won't have the pattern dither found in the .GIF.

Damaris

However, IE6 is still web-standard.  The majority of the population still uses it.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

Castle Pokemetroid

Quote from: Darkmoon on July 09, 2007, 07:40:22 AM
If you read the guest comics area, you'll notice that it states to do the text glows, you need to have photoshop. MSPaint simply won't support that kind of styling.

Ah, I see. I don't have photoshop, but that dosen't matter.

And for the others, I have no clue what you're talking about. All I got was that PNG is the best for comics, or some other stuff.

Damaris

PNG is not the best for comics.  GIF is, as long as it doesn't hurt your color choices too much.  I would do a test save first with some of your sprites to make sure.

PNGs save much too high res, which is great if you're intending to print these someday, but for a comic viewed on a computer screen (which can't handle more than 72 dpi anyway), GIFs are perfectly adequate.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

GabrielsThoughts

I don't have photoshop, but that dosen't matter.
And for the others, I have no clue what you're talking about. All I got was that PNG is the best for comics, or some other stuff.

In MS paint, you can save a file as PNG easily, first click file, scroll down to "save as...", you'll see a prompt asking you to insert a file name, and just below that is "save as type" the rest should be fairly self evident, select the type of file you want to save it as...
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.