Joined the marines

Started by ilpalazzo, June 25, 2007, 02:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azlan

It's funny how everyone keeps saying soldier this, and soldier that... last I checked he said he joined the Marines.  I can just imagine the fun if one of you was in boot camp and the DI walks up to you and asks, "son, why are you here?"

and you answer:

"because I want to be a soldier!"

Marine DIs just love that one...

"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

llearch n'n'daCorna

"Because Tom Lehrer talked me into it."
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Miaka

"Beause Tom Lehrer talked me nto it" <-- YES.

Good luck, and come back to us eventually, ya hear?  ;)

Boog

Well, stay intact man. I may not support the war, but I definatly support the troops. Bring us all back a souvenier now, y'hear? :3

Brunhidden

And now is the time for some Heinlein, specifically Starship Troopers the book, not the movie.

pray that you never have a sergeant like Zim, and pray that you do.

QuoteYou apes wanna live forever?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Indeed.

Rasczak's Roughnecks FTW.

I don't think Rico's Roughnecks quite has the same edge, somehow...

Toric

Quote from: Netrogo on June 26, 2007, 01:30:21 AM
Quote from: Caswin on June 25, 2007, 10:22:32 PM
Quote from: Netrogo on June 25, 2007, 06:35:45 PM
People who get offended online need to fuck off and grow up.
Go away.
Bite me
Ohhhhhhh, this thread's gonna get lo-ocked. It's gonna get locked I kno-o-o-ow. This thread's gonna get lo-ocked, Dina won't ya blow your horn!

Anyway, good luck ilpalazzo, here's hoping you don't break anything in boot camp, and you don't lose anything on the job. Other than your pride, of course, because we love hearing stories of embarrassment. :mowsmile
Yap by Silver.

bill

Actually, just to spite you, I'm not locking this thread.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm halfway tempted to just extract the crap and lock it, just to wind everyone up.

Especially Bill.

I just can't be bothered right now...

Damaris

Good luck, Illy.  If you don't come back safe, I'll be very annoyed :p

I've always liked the line from Almost Famous:

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Zina

Caswin

Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Azlan

Quote from: Caswin on June 26, 2007, 11:03:07 PM

Again?

Hmmm, someone must have made a realtime change to the simulation.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

ilpalazzo

Quote from: Azlan on June 26, 2007, 02:11:24 AM
It's funny how everyone keeps saying soldier this, and soldier that... last I checked he said he joined the Marines.  I can just imagine the fun if one of you was in boot camp and the DI walks up to you and asks, "son, why are you here?"

and you answer:

"because I want to be a soldier!"

Marine DIs just love that one...

Nah, I'll reply "Because I want to kill"  :eager :eager :eager

llearch n'n'daCorna

... and start jumping up and down shouting "Kill! Kill!" ?

Alondro

*hmms*  You could always say that you need 100,000 souls of the dead to form the King's Key to become a god.   :boogie

Oh wait... that's to get into the Navy Seals.   :giggle

*gets sniped by Goldberg!*   :knifed
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Angel

Look out for basic training. (Or is that the Army?) But good luck to you, and remember, Alucard is a professional, so you shouldn't try to do what he does without extensive supervision.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

superluser

Quote from: Black_angel on June 27, 2007, 08:32:01 AMLook out for basic training. (Or is that the Army?)

As I understand, it's pretty bad in every branch.  For a few reasons--they want to weed out those who would be unfit for service, and they want to prepare everyone for real combat.

But the Marines have the reputation for being crazy, and they want to build up that reputation.  Remember R. Lee Ermey from Full Metal Jacket?  That was supposed to be a realistic representation of the Marines, and Ermey was an actual USMC drill sergeant.  Ermey performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse for 15 minutes without stopping, repeating himself or even flinching - despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges.

I'm sure it's changed since Vietnam, but marine boot camp still has the reputation of being impossible.  Good luck, ilpalazzo.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Caswin

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 27, 2007, 05:51:03 AM
There would be a psychiatry bit in today's comic.

(An' we both started jumpin' up an' down shoutin', "KILL!  KILL!"...)
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Zorro

Quote from: superluser on June 27, 2007, 10:44:31 AM
Quote from: Black_angel on June 27, 2007, 08:32:01 AMLook out for basic training. (Or is that the Army?)

As I understand, it's pretty bad in every branch.  For a few reasons--they want to weed out those who would be unfit for service, and they want to prepare everyone for real combat.

But the Marines have the reputation for being crazy, and they want to build up that reputation.  Remember R. Lee Ermey from Full Metal Jacket?  That was supposed to be a realistic representation of the Marines, and Ermey was an actual USMC drill sergeant.  Ermey performed a demonstration on videotape in which he yelled obscene insults and abuse for 15 minutes without stopping, repeating himself or even flinching - despite being continuously pelted with tennis balls and oranges.

I'm sure it's changed since Vietnam, but marine boot camp still has the reputation of being impossible.  Good luck, ilpalazzo.

You have to weed out the people that can't handle the stress or go psycho and turn against the other soldiers.

Seriously if you can't take Basic Training what are they going to do when they are being shot at and dealing with an ambush?

Netrogo

The best way to keep your soldiers from going insane on the battle field is to recruit the mentally unbalanced. They can't GO nuts if they already are >:3
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

techmaster-glitch

Lol, that's how they do the marines/soldiers in StarCraft. They find all the psychos they can, then neural resocialize the shit outta them, turning them into, I quote, "Cookie-cutter soldiers! Wind 'em up and send 'em off to die!"

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on June 27, 2007, 11:18:48 PMLol, that's how they do the marines/soldiers in StarCraft. They find all the psychos they can, then neural resocialize the shit outta them, turning them into, I quote, "Cookie-cutter soldiers! Wind 'em up and send 'em off to die!"

Bad tast, IMO.

techmaster-glitch

What does that even mean? o_0?

Netami

He meant to say bad taste. He thinks such things are the opposite of, say,  good taste.  :raph

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Caswin on June 27, 2007, 11:26:50 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 27, 2007, 05:51:03 AM
There would be a psychiatry bit in today's comic.

(An' we both started jumpin' up an' down shoutin', "KILL!  KILL!"...)

... An' the sergeant came down, pinned a medal on me an' said "you're our boy."

I didn't feel too good about it, but I went on my way, gettin' more injections, inspections detections neglections and infections...

superluser

Quote from: Netami on June 28, 2007, 12:21:28 AMHe meant to say bad taste. He thinks such things are the opposite of, say,  good taste.  :raph

No, I meant bad tast.  It's kind of a cliché around here.