2015/11/16 - [DMFA #1621] - Happy birthday!

Started by VAE, November 16, 2015, 08:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAE

Yes, today's comic is the soulstealer family tree, but eh, the title had to be put there. I mean, 16th anniversary of this wonderful comic - here it'd be old enough to get a citizen ID, bang, and get a job. XD
So, congratulations to Ambargh for keeping up this long and for making the comic increasingly awesome throughout the years. I won't say "may it live for as long again" as I imagine she'd murder me for that wish, but still, I hope it'll successfully chug on for however long she wishes to.

Živió! Živió! Živió! Živió!
Mnoga leta,
Mnoga leta,
Mnoga leta,
Živió!

What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Drakkenmensch

I find it fascinating that Kosi's equine ears are a recessive trait in comparison to Orin's floppy ears that Regina proudly displays two generations down.

Other detail I'm curious about: Hona died without any children. Did he die out early through foul play, or was he conquest-driven like his nephew Aliph and mold his future aspirations and lack of desire to be distracted by family?

Also, it shows to the amount of webcomics I read every day that my brain keeps wanting to read 'Waski' as 'Wapsi'.

Rafe

Oooo, I like this page.  Given that we've seem to see more of this family in DMFA, I've been wondering exactly how everyone in the Soulstealer family was related.
Sooo...
- Regina and Dark Pegasus are actually first cousins, once removed.
- Regina and  Kria are also first cousins, once removed.
- Regina and Lorenda are second cousins.

This page also reinforces my faith in Amber's ability to come up with great character names.  I think my favorite is Regina's mother, Cori Viscerante.
Rafe

MT Hazard

Cutter, Darkblood,Nightclaw, Ripvien, Soulstealer, Viscerante, that's a violent set of last names, and one of them is a being!

I wonder if Tolas and Orin jab themselves in the neck if they tilt their head the wrong way.

Also it seems that Aliph inherited his frown from his grandfather.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Techcubi

So, it appears Hakinoor's grumpiness skipped a generation.

Rambon

Is it just me or did the family chart change since This?

Tilendor

I does appear to have changed, though maybe not as much as one might think.  The comic states AKA: How the narf is Regina related to Lorenda.  A couple of the relatives could have been left out, so I personally wouldn't take the omissions to mean they have been removed from the world.

I do see however that Kosi Soulstealer was marked as female on the previous chart.  That does seem to be a concrete change.

Which is all a complete side-track from why I register to post.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DMFA!

I have been enjoying this comic for more than a decade now.  I love the art, I find the stories and characters interesting and compelling.  Thank you so much Amber for crafting this world and sharing it with us.  Heres to another 16 years!

themunck

While on the subject of missing people in the chart, where is Tina Soulstealer? (Mentioned on page 1115, as the current top Soulstealer in Zinvth)

Techcubi

Quote from: Tilendor on November 16, 2015, 11:40:45 AM
I does appear to have changed, though maybe not as much as one might think.  The comic states AKA: How the narf is Regina related to Lorenda.  A couple of the relatives could have been left out, so I personally wouldn't take the omissions to mean they have been removed from the world.

I do see however that Kosi Soulstealer was marked as female on the previous chart.  That does seem to be a concrete change.

Which is all a complete side-track from why I register to post.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DMFA!

I have been enjoying this comic for more than a decade now.  I love the art, I find the stories and characters interesting and compelling.  Thank you so much Amber for crafting this world and sharing it with us.  Heres to another 16 years!

But, Kosi's marked as female on this one too.

Although, her two siblings are now her brothers instead of her sisters. And, Malle doesn't appear to have a brother or sister, though Regina has one now.

Amber's apparently done some retcons since that post, so, maybe the head Soulstealer is Hona now? Who knows?

Rambon

Quote from: Techcubi on November 16, 2015, 12:32:02 PM
But, Kosi's marked as female on this one too.

Although, her two siblings are now her brothers instead of her sisters. And, Malle doesn't appear to have a brother or sister, though Regina has one now.

Amber's apparently done some retcons since that post, so, maybe the head Soulstealer is Hona now? Who knows?

I thought the namedrop for the main Soulstealer was in comic? Don't remember exactly which one, but i think it was around the time when Abel asked if the definition of dead changed while he was at Saia.

Comic page 1115, I just needed to look up two posts up...

Lego3400

Quote from: Drakkenmensch on November 16, 2015, 08:31:08 AM
I find it fascinating that Kosi's equine ears are a recessive trait in comparison to Orin's floppy ears that Regina proudly displays two generations down.

Other detail I'm curious about: Hona died without any children. Did he die out early through foul play, or was he conquest-driven like his nephew Aliph and mold his future aspirations and lack of desire to be distracted by family?

Also, it shows to the amount of webcomics I read every day that my brain keeps wanting to read 'Waski' as 'Wapsi'.

He doesn't have to be dead, given how long demons live. He could just still be single.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Signed on for three things;
1) Aliph and Kria are actually Regina's 1st cousins once removed and Lorenda her second-cousin (as pointed out by Rafe)
2) if you think about it, this small snippet of family tree probably goes back about a millennium
And 3)  Happy Birthday DMFA!  :O

Quote from: Lego3400 on November 16, 2015, 12:46:42 PM

He doesn't have to be dead, given how long demons live. He could just still be single.
This.
   Avatar by me. Signature image made from a picture by shadows-play on dA (circa 2007-2008).      :deadhorse
my art thread

Drakkenmensch

Quote from: Lego3400 on November 16, 2015, 12:46:42 PM

Yeah, that's what I was implying with the second option, Aliph style.

e_voyager

still it clears up a lot. but from the look of it lorenda is the only one with mortal stock in her
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Kenjithefolf

Now I am filled with questions about there family tree like why in the world is Regina with her uncle and where is her parents and brother, also who is the older sibling Regina or tolas. :3

Rafe

Quote from: Kenjithefolf on November 16, 2015, 04:14:33 PM
Now I am filled with questions about there family tree like why in the world is Regina with her uncle...
As a couple of us mentioned, according to this family tree, Aliph isn't actually Regina's uncle, he's a cousin. Have to admit though, in some families (including mine) we called once-removed cousins "uncle" too.

Quote...and where is her parents and brother, also who is the older sibling Regina or tolas. :3
That's the good part of all this - all the unsaid, mysterious and potentially emotionally heavy details that are left out.  Knowing the intricate details Amber is capable of harboring in that imaginative and slightly-twisted brain of hers, the stuff that is not said is probably even more interesting than the stuff she shows us. As usual, we're left wanting more. 
Rafe

tikitori

You, it's possible that Tina Soulstealer IS around as Kira's aunt or even great-grandmother. For Aliph to be second in line (presumably) now is for the following reasons:

1. Tina has no children
2. Both Kelir and Harkinoor have either passed away or passed on leadership.

But you also have to remember this is from Abel's point of view-someone who was hiding in a school for 400 years. Since Kira isn't clearly running Zinvth, it's safe to assume either Tina still rules or Tina may had a child that would be next in line-if she was Kira's great-grandmother and they're going by a hierarchy of some sort instead of seniority. I doubt it though.

It's most likely that Tina is Kria's great grandmother and either her father/grandfather died or passed on the job.

Amber Williams

Tina would be Hakinoor's sister. Who I didn't include mainly because the amount of headshots was already starting to get a bit crazy and I didn't want to branch the tree out even further. (But one can assume both Hakinoor and Waski have siblings of their own) :U

As for the change from the forum posted thing to the current one...that is pretty much the reason why I generally try to remind folks to never take stuff I post on the forum as bona-fide 100% word of God until it's shown up in comic because oftentimes things get shuffled or adjusted in the time between a forum post and it showing up in comic and I would hate for someone to base their entire setup of something on a 6 year old forum post only for it to possibly be different when it finally hits the comic itself.

As for the Regina calling Aliph uncle, Rafe pretty much has it spot on in that some areas (including the one I am from) you just sort of end up calling the generation above you aunt/uncle as it is simpler than trying to keep the exact definition.

Kajet

Now to figure out how many people in this family tree are still alive... And if Aliph is considered alive or dead.

Grigori Cutter would def be dead though, pretty sure Kria has admitted to killing and eating him

Tallow

I'm hoping we get to see Regina's brother show up in the comic, and that he's equally as hilarious as his sister is >___> (I mean Regina seems to exhibit habits that are typical of a teenage(r) demon, so I wonder what her brother is like. That or she's just the most immature out of all the children...

Kenku

Quote from: Kajet on November 16, 2015, 10:36:18 PM
Now to figure out how many people in this family tree are still alive... And if Aliph is considered alive or dead.

Grigori Cutter would def be dead though, pretty sure Kria has admitted to killing and eating him

Preety much. The page where he's mentioned there is a picture of Kira cursing him off with his nose ring in her hands.

tikitori

D'oh! I meant great-aunt too, as Kria's uncles and aunt is already shown.  :B

Thanks for the clarification!

Tapewolf

He did cheat on her, which is not smart, especially when your SO is a Demon.  That said, I do wonder if it would have happened eventually anyway...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cassi-kun

She thought of suing, but didn't want to be cruel
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Rafe

What I remember is this scene:

It's from my favorite chapter, "Chapter 15, Disarray, Discord and Bubblegum"

So Kria kills Grigori, the mare he was cheating on her with, destroys the entire farm, but I guess there wasn't enough of him left to eat, assuming you could find any.

Rafe

nevwyn

The one thing I noticed from this family tree is that the Soulstealer's have a thing for head gear. If we could just find a partner with a nice set of horns or antlers for DP he might settle down and become a less death inclined member of the family.

Mind you I don't mean other peoples deaths just his own.

Kajet

Quote from: Rafe on November 17, 2015, 09:55:03 PM

What I remember is this scene:

It's from my favorite chapter, "Chapter 15, Disarray, Discord and Bubblegum"

So Kria kills Grigori, the mare he was cheating on her with, destroys the entire farm, but I guess there wasn't enough of him left to eat, assuming you could find any.

Huh... I could have sworn there was some mention of vore... but I guess that's my crappy memory at work...

On a different topic: There's a lot of cuties in the Soulstealer clan.

Lying Foo

Nightclaw?  ...wasn't that the leader of the party looking for Merlitz's killer?
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lying Foo on November 20, 2015, 12:27:53 AM
Nightclaw?  ...wasn't that the leader of the party looking for Merlitz's killer?

I think that's Nitemyst (or some spelling variation thereof).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E