01/11/09 [DMFA #963] - WHAT. THE. HECK?

Started by Sunblink, January 11, 2009, 06:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ghostwish on January 12, 2009, 08:51:12 AM
Negative.. Mind extrapolating?
I've never seen it, but I believe it consists of two or more characters discussing the meaning of existence or some similar philosophical argument while waiting for the titular character to arrive.  He never does.

Wikipedia surely has an article about it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Noone

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 12, 2009, 08:43:27 AM
If - as seems likely - it was Dan who interceded, Wildy seems to have shown a singular lack of gratitude...
It could have been Merlitz. If it's that incident that gave Regina her bone-wing, he was probably there. I don't think Dan and his swords can inflict wounds like that, but intense heat can. It's a possibility I suppose.., maybe they were both there?

Mao

Quote from: The1Kobra on January 12, 2009, 09:16:38 AM
I don't think Dan and his swords can inflict wounds like that

He could have cut it clean off and she only decided to regenerate it that much.

Howl

I'm somewhat interested as to the origin of the bone wing myself.

Dekari

Quote from: The1Kobra on January 12, 2009, 09:16:38 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 12, 2009, 08:43:27 AM
If - as seems likely - it was Dan who interceded, Wildy seems to have shown a singular lack of gratitude...
It could have been Merlitz. If it's that incident that gave Regina her bone-wing, he was probably there. I don't think Dan and his swords can inflict wounds like that, but intense heat can. It's a possibility I suppose.., maybe they were both there?

Lets not forget about Dan's quote from his profile.

"Well what do ya know... it CAN be set on fire!"
I somehow get the feeling that you didn't think your cunning plan all the way through.

Thanks go to Kipiru and Rhyfe for the art work used in avatars.

http://drakedekari.deviantart.com/

Rakala

Regina, simple cameo or now a plot important character?

Ted Schiller

What dan of cliffhanger-fu does Mrs. Williams hold?

With regards,
Ted

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Ted Schiller on January 12, 2009, 12:07:39 PM
What dan of cliffhanger-fu does Mrs. Williams hold?

If we knew, it wouldn't be a cliffhanger, would it?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Amber Williams

Dun mind me...just dropping this off for no apparent reason...

Not sure why I have this laying about...

AmigaDragon

"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on January 12, 2009, 12:31:33 PM
Oooh, lookit tha purdy dots! :mowhappy

I saw it as an audio block diagram at first (no thanks to 'L' and 'R'), but then the letters fell into place.  I suspect most people have guessed this, but:

K = Kria
L = Lorenda
A = Aliph (DP)
R = Regina

...either that, or it's some pretty diagram Amber posted to mess with our heads.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 12, 2009, 08:55:49 AM
Quote from: Ghostwish on January 12, 2009, 08:51:12 AM
Negative.. Mind extrapolating?
I've never seen it, but I believe it consists of two or more characters discussing the meaning of existence or some similar philosophical argument while waiting for the titular character to arrive.  He never does.

Pretty much.  I'd have to go back and reread it, but I don't think there are more than a couple lines about who Godot is in the whole play.

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 12, 2009, 12:26:14 PMhttp://www.missmab.com/Bonus/FT.jpg

Ho-ly crap.

That's four previously unexpected people (plus all the ones who are tangential to this particular discussion).  More than my conservative estimate.  Kudos to you, Amber, for such attention to detail.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 12, 2009, 12:34:32 PM
...either that, or it's some pretty diagram Amber posted to mess with our heads.

You have no idea how tempted I was to make two of the parent dots the same gender somewhere. :U

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 12, 2009, 12:26:14 PM
Dun mind me...just dropping this off for no apparent reason...

Not sure why I have this laying about...
:bow

You are AWESOME, Amber! That is so neat!

Heh... their initials spell "KARL." Or "LARK." Or I'll stop there.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Pagan

If I'm reading it right, Regina is not related to  Lorenda by Soulstealer blood. They're related by their grandmothers.
And this is just a guess, but I think that Lorenda's grandmother married a Soulstealer demon and Regina's grandmother married a Darkblood demon.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Mao

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 12, 2009, 12:41:42 PM

You have no idea how tempted I was to make two of the parent dots the same gender somewhere. :U

Ok I would have laughed just from the uproar it would have incited.  

The theorists would start trying to figure out what it meant for that family and how it played into your world as a whole, down to excruciating detail with or without any further input from you.  While they would do that the 'moral right' would scream with righteous indignation and denounce this as the work of demons (wait... hmm).

All the while I would sit here in my own little corner of existence and laugh.  Laugh at the silliness of it all and just go back to reading the comic.

So I guess what I'm trying to say here is:  Thanks for taking away what could have been an afternoon of amusement for me!  D:<

Rakala

Quote from: AmigaDragon on January 12, 2009, 12:31:33 PM
Oooh, lookit tha purdy dots! :mowhappy

I saw it as an audio block diagram at first (no thanks to 'L' and 'R'), but then the letters fell into place.  I suspect most people have guessed this, but:

K = Kria
L = Lorenda
A = Aliph (DP)
R = Regina

I guess it makes sense, Regina does have the exact same colors as Lorenda. Is Regina from a line that started with an illegitimate child that out of pity they took in as a servant? No, I don't think so since there is a parent in common near the top. I've been reading too many books from the Renaiscance/Medieval ages.

Lucheek

Whose next up to be related to Kria? I'm hoping it's Abel, so Kria, Lorenda, DP, Regina, Abel, Fa'Lina and Pyroduck are a BIG HAPPY FAMILY YAYRAINBOWS.

superluser

Quote from: Rakala on January 12, 2009, 03:52:46 PMI guess it makes sense, Regina does have the exact same colors as Lorenda.

Except that those colors are not shared by Kria, so they may have come from Lorenda's father.

Parsimony suggests, however, that you're right and they're recessive traits shared by a common ancestor.

Quote from: Rakala on January 12, 2009, 03:52:46 PMIs Regina from a line that started with an illegitimate child that out of pity they took in as a servant? No, I don't think so since there is a parent in common near the top.

Regina's bio doesn't leave any hints about illegitimacy, and in any case, she's related to the Soulstealers through her father (and unless demons are like seahorses, that means that the father would have to acknowledge the mother).  Genealogy diagrams don't address legitimacy, though.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Valynth

Quote from: Lucheek on January 12, 2009, 04:19:04 PM
Whose next up to be related to Kria? I'm hoping it's Abel, so Kria, Lorenda, DP, Regina, Abel, Fa'Lina and Pyroduck are a BIG HAPPY FAMILY YAYRAINBOWS.

...I read a fanfic like that once....
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Amber Williams

Just an FYI: Many demons trace their lineage through the female side.

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 12, 2009, 04:30:36 PM
Just an FYI: Many demons trace their lineage through the female side.
Because you can be sure of who your mother is, but not who your father is? Very neat bit of trivia.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Corgatha Taldorthar

The more I think about it, the more I wonder at how well Lorenda and Regina know one another. Maybe I'm misreading her entirely, but Lorenda seems too considerate towards others to casually brush a maid aside and snap at her for being in the way. Now, possibly her amity is only directed towards beings, and that her demonic tendancies would show to a social inferior who also happens to be a fellow demon, or that she's simply so angry at the moment about her mother that she's snapping at whoever is in front of her, but neither of those reasons feel entirely right.

Now, I don't know *anything* about the life cycles of demons, when they go through whatever equivalents there are to puberty, or how quickly they mature or anything. But lets for the second assume that they go through the same sort of development as humans do, except not really aging physically after twenty five or so. Since Lorenda is twenty four and Regina is twenty three, and that Lorenda gives the impression of trying to avoid living with her family, any sort of continued contact to build up animosity between the two would likely have occured during childhood years.

Speculation: We see from comic number 341 that Lorenda went to a school with being instead of some sort of all demon school. That Kria would mention this implies that it is unusual, that demons normally go to all demon schools. Or maybe not, since they are "private" schools. I'm wondering if perhaps Regina went to one of these Demon mare schools and possibly formed some sort of rivalry between the two.

Or more likely it's probably nothing.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I find it interesting how many people assume "maid", even when specifically told otherwise in her bio.

Perhaps people aren't reading the cast page? Perhaps they're not paying attention?

Maybe they're just thick? Who knows...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Corgatha Taldorthar

QuoteCurrently Regina works for Kria as a maid in exchange for room and board and other than issues with other members of the staff and the frustation of being held back...Regina seems to enjoy herself.

Yes, there are family issues that are referred to, but if she is working as a maid, she's a maid, even if she's a relative.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Wanderer

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 12, 2009, 12:41:42 PM

DO IT! DO IT!  :mowhappy

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on January 12, 2009, 05:02:47 PM
The more I think about it, the more I wonder at how well Lorenda and Regina know one another. Maybe I'm misreading her entirely, but Lorenda seems too considerate towards others to casually brush a maid aside and snap at her for being in the way. Now, possibly her amity is only directed towards beings, and that her demonic tendancies would show to a social inferior who also happens to be a fellow demon, or that she's simply so angry at the moment about her mother that she's snapping at whoever is in front of her, but neither of those reasons feel entirely right.
I don't know why, but it does seem rather a bit harsher than I would expect out of her. But really, judging from Regina's profile I kind of doubt she's done much to make friends with people. She may well be something of a brat, who Lorenda just doesn't have the patience to put up with.

Kenji

Naldru

Quote from: Kenji on January 12, 2009, 05:25:56 PM
I bet the black dots are spawn points.
I think the black dots are ancestors unknown.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on January 12, 2009, 05:02:47 PM

I think her anger at Kria is the main reason she's snapping at Regina. I think she might normally try to get along with her, regardless of Regina's view on the matter.

QuoteSpeculation: We see from comic number 341 that Lorenda went to a school with being instead of some sort of all demon school. That Kria would mention this implies that it is unusual, that demons normally go to all demon schools. Or maybe not, since they are "private" schools. I'm wondering if perhaps Regina went to one of these Demon mare schools and possibly formed some sort of rivalry between the two.

Are there enough demons (let alone demon-mares) to have a private demon-mare school? A private demon school, yeah, but I think demon-mare school is getting too specific (what about demon-cow, demon-bull, demon-feline, demon-ferret, etc. schools? see where this is going?) for a non-metropolitan population base.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Corgatha Taldorthar

*shrugs* There might be. They're Kra's words, not mine. I would hope she knows what she's talking about. Besides, "mare" might be the appropriate term for any female demon, regardless of what animal species she represents.