Headwing Central (OOC)

Started by Eli_In_Chains, October 04, 2012, 12:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAE

The formatting - eh, it was copypasted from a text editor, I think VIM , which might not have been the cleverest of ideas.
Thin are the worst, they are usually starving. But don't worry, selling them on the black market should make me enough to buy some cookies.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

VAE

Something I've remarked to a friend:

As an aside... no wonder that SAIA majors take so many years. Even excluding other, mandatory subjects that come from being a cubi, I mean, as an example, the class on Industrial Thaumaturgy is gonna have cubi that think a computer is advanced technology (think colossus, the top tech is 1950s I think Eli said) , ones like Kallis thinking that a steam engine is advanced machinery, and ones thinking that a water wheel is advanced machinery.
Similarly, ones thinking writing up a fire spell that quenches and tempers a complex steel shape uniformly is a work of magic, ones thinking that when their high priest uses the soul of a criminal to summon a demon to defend their town is magic, and ones who think when the shaman walks through the field communing with spirits and crops grow at  four times the usual rate is magic...
I mean, there must be a massive amount of prerequisite teaching available for almost everything.
It must be like "okay, class, now we'll see if we can even agree on what this sentence means"
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

justacritic

Confirmed, need to edit char sheet

Eli_In_Chains

Quote from: justacritic on October 11, 2012, 08:40:41 PM
Confirmed, need to edit char sheet

What do you mean you need to edit your character sheet? o.o I don't recall saying anything like that.

Quote from: VAE on October 11, 2012, 08:34:16 PM
Something I've remarked to a friend:

As an aside... no wonder that SAIA majors take so many years. Even excluding other, mandatory subjects that come from being a cubi, I mean, as an example, the class on Industrial Thaumaturgy is gonna have cubi that think a computer is advanced technology (think colossus, the top tech is 1950s I think Eli said) , ones like Kallis thinking that a steam engine is advanced machinery, and ones thinking that a water wheel is advanced machinery.
Similarly, ones thinking writing up a fire spell that quenches and tempers a complex steel shape uniformly is a work of magic, ones thinking that when their high priest uses the soul of a criminal to summon a demon to defend their town is magic, and ones who think when the shaman walks through the field communing with spirits and crops grow at  four times the usual rate is magic...
I mean, there must be a massive amount of prerequisite teaching available for almost everything.
It must be like "okay, class, now we'll see if we can even agree on what this sentence means"

I said that the setting is fifty years before the events of DMFA, which means that while certain areas of technology would have developed differently than our reality, technology would be roughly in the 1950s for many things. And honestly it isn't -that- likely for such disparate opinions on advanced technology to exist except coming from the absolute backwaters of Furrae. Speaking with you, you indicated that Kallis came from such an area, where technology would have been behind the rest of the world. It doesn't seem to me to suggest that anyone would suggest a water wheel is advanced technology... On the same subject, summoning a demon with the soul of a criminal doesn't seem to fit with any level of the DMFA canon that I can think of (demons are just ordinary creatures, not prone to being summoned, for instance)... Please keep any speculation on things like that restricted to canon, VAE. Even back as far as three hundred seventy-five years from DMFA, in the Abel's Story timeline, magic was studied and practiced in schools, albeit that in Zinvth, the demon city. It's safe to say that most people have got a good understanding of how magic works, and at least some understanding of what advanced technology is.

Tapewolf

Quote from: VAE on October 11, 2012, 08:34:16 PM

I've not done any VLSI-level microprocessor design, but IMHO you'd have to have pretty good math, pretty good physics at the quantum level, pretty good electronics and a firm grasp of assembler.  And RF design.

I imagine that getting magic to do anything particularly complex is going to be rather similar.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

VAE

Eh, speculation is speculation, though sizable disparities could well exist, comparing with reality.
Either way, no need to get in a twist over my tired musings.
EDIT: Oh , and speaking of soul summonery, just to point out it's not such an absurd thing in context... - just think of Dark Pegasus's attempts. Whether someone calls whatever crawls out of such a pit a daemon , a god or whatever is largely inconsequential to its nature :3

Tape, that sounds about correct, on both counts, to the best of my knowledge.
Saphroneth

Eli_In_Chains

Apologies. ^^; Sorry. I was a bit out of sorts. My brain does things a bit strangely sometimes. I didn't mean to come off as harsh as I probably did. In any case, this roleplay will primarily be about character interaction rather than the actual studies themselves, so it's kind of a moot point anyway.

I think I'd best have a rest and watch something to get my brain back to normal. >.> It's acting up again, and I can't very well manage this thread while my brain is trying to convince me I'm asleep. o.O Carry on. I shall leave a plate of cookies for you all. ^^ Please remember to share, and pay no mind if the cookies run away from you. I might have put in a bit too much sugar, so they're rather hyperactive.

justacritic

What I meant was add that info I pmed you about, not easy to do on a mobile device.

Eli_In_Chains

Aah. That's right. I had forgotten about that; sorry. Thank you very much. :3 Feel free to chase down one of the cookies running around in the thread as a token of my thanks. ^^

Meany

SCREE!

Name: Dosve Donya Piflak

Years Enrolled: Effective Year One.

Clan: Piflak

Species: Canine

Current Major: Artifice (Magic Item Crafting)

Appearance: The most obvious thing about Dosve would be that he is a cripple.  Missing his left leg from halfway down the thigh.  Beside that, a very colorful canine; pointed ears, mid-length coat of predominately dark orange decorated with vine-like patterns of clay colour.  His feathered back and headwings are primarily clay colored, with orange appearing at the very tips of his flight feathers. Curly black hair kept short, black eyes with a faint orange glint.  His clan symbol is prominently displayed at the base of his throat.  Dosve keeps his tail well-groomed, and often wears tail rings.   His fashion is a strange mix of soldier and entertainer: a steel muscle cuirass covering the top half of his chest, with gossamer fabric attached at the shoulder and forming a sleeve attached to steel bracer.  Hands covered with black gloves, armed with articulated steel plates from fingers to wrist along the top.  About his waist is a skirt of leather strips, riveted with steel circles, with an orange skirt underneath for modesty.  His one functioning leg has a sandal with a complex weave of chords, while the stump is covered with a rounded steel cap.  Usually seen seated upon a throne-like wheelchair, or hobbling along with a finely crafted crutch.

Personality: Dosve prefers to look calm, cool, and collected.  Look being the key phrase.  He keeps his emotions on a tight leash, experiencing them fully but not allowing them to affect his expression or physical actions, but can fail just as often as anyone.  He honestly believes Piflak is a deity by dint of her tri-wing status, and believes this of all tri-wings; and hopes start a formal religion with the tri-wings as a pantheon, with Piflak getting a sizable slice of the worship of course.  Driven to excel at all things, Dosve has high standards for himself and others working with him.  He has a love for the brass type of instrument, and plays the trumpet perfectly.

Background: Born in Magnum Opus, the temple city of Piflak Clan.  Dosve was subject to high standards and despite his high-born status denied the use of servants or even friends in his day-to-day life, shepherded from tutor to tutor, and expected to exceed the teacher's expectations to meet those of his parents.  This left him with the habit of mentally keeping a tally of failures and successes.  

By the time Dosve manifested a connection to Piflak he had taken to the martial life well.  So much so that he postponed his entry into the academy to undertake missions on behalf of the clan, and clan members when they needed 'muscle.'  Even when he did enroll, it was only part time and he would frequently leave to pursue missions from his clan, or on his own initiative.  Through these adventures, Dosve accumulated great wealth and knowledge of powerful people, and used these to make a long-term investment in the form of a city-state: Donya.  

Unfortunately, Dosve was not meant to reign over the city, or serve as an adventurer any longer beyond this point.  An assassination attempt at the dedication of a temple cost Dosve his left leg.  It was later discovered, by analysis of the blade and interrogation of the would-be assassin, that the weapon had been cursed so that wounds inflicted with it could not be regenerated.  This infirmity forced Dosve's retirement and full-time return to the SAIA, until one of the Clan's doctors could develop a cure or counter curse.

Dosve had begotten four children through relationships with demon women, none of whom showed inclination to be cubi due to extensive preventative measures Dosve took, and left the management of his city to his eldest daughter with the understanding that he would take it back some time in the future.

Eli_In_Chains

Ah, one thing I missed earlier. Recall how we discussed the issue with his amputated leg? There are a couple of bits regarding that requiring some minor edits. In his description you remembered to delete the section describing his bandages, however the sentence now ends abruptly before it's finished; you also seem to have missed the detail at the end regarding the blade used. It still says it would prevent a wound from healing, rather than blocking the natural Cubi regenerative ability. Those minor things aside, however, your character has my official GM stamp of

APPROVAL

I prepared some cookies for you, but unfortunately they can only be baked to perfection in the fires of Mount Doom, and... well. As we all know, one does not simply walk into Mordor.

Meany

That would be why God gave us Segways.

Also edited.

AmberCross

Eli_In_Chains

Alright, now then, a couple of announcements about gameplay and discipline. So far we have eight characters approved, nine if you include my character, and one profile on its way from JamesCray. Ten players is a lot more turnout than I expected to get initially, but that is wholly a good thing. ^^ Thanks everyone for your interest, it has bolstered my ego SPLENDIDLY. XP

From my limited investigation into other roleplays, things on this forum tend to be done a certain way by the GMs, very much along the lines of a tabletop roleplay where the GM describes the settings immediate to any one character, but usually doesn't play their own single character. As such, a GM hiatus (like the one I will be taking Monday night and Tuesday morning to hang out with a friend of mine, for instance) would cause a general slowdown of the entire thread. I'm not entirely certain whether that's how all roleplays are handled here, but I shall proceed on that assumption and explain the way that this one shall go.

In contrast, my experience with other forums generally has the thread creator and organizer taking as active a part in the roleplay as the other players, creating a character and playing them. In the hands of an inexperienced GM this, of course, would to the thread quickly dying as a result of the GM grandstanding that's quite common in new GMs. Hopefully you guys have noticed that I've been doing roleplays long enough to know that this roleplay is about the fun of EVERYONE, and not only the person who made it. As such, if you couldn't have guessed, I will be playing a character within the roleplay, with exactly the same capacity as you guys will have, in addition to occasionally assuming the role of extra NPCs given my status as GM. However, mundane scene description is left up to the players. If your character is, for instance, in the hallways going from class to their dorm, that's something that you can describe yourself; you don't need to have the GM tell you what's going on. I trust everyone in this thread has the common sense and responsibility to be able to competently describe a scene themselves. Background NPCs (the ones that are basically the filler of the fictional world, no lines and no more than passing interaction with your character) can be controlled by anyone. To a lesser degree the same applies to minor NPCs. If your character is having a short discussion with the teacher of one of their classes, then so long as you are responsible and sensible, you can write that character yourself. Major NPCs such as Fa'Lina and Doctor Ink may not be played in any scenes by anyone except for me; in addition, no characters that are currently being written by other players can be controlled by you. If one character and a teacher are having a discussion when a second character walks up, the second character may not assume control of the teacher: the first character is currently writing them. This is a scene-by-scene status, it is not permanent, and in general I think the roleplay will run smoother if such NPC interaction is minimized.

This play style means that most or all of your characters will have at least passing contact with Blaine, my character, and one of them will be his roommate and thus have much more contact. I haven't decided on who just yet, but I'd like to stress (for everyone) that I just want my character to be treated as though he were written by just another player. I don't take in-game actions personally.

Please also note that writing minor NPCs is not a right within this game, it is a privilege, and people who aren't using it responsibly will, after a private warning, have that privilege taken away. Having a teacher fawn over your superior abilities, having swarms of fanboys/girls following your character everywhere they go, or anything of that sort is not responsible behavior. Similarly, scene description is also a privilege. I don't -want- to take it away from anyone, as I feel it would hinder the autonomy of this roleplay, but I don't want it abused either. So no having a room clear just because it's convenient for you, or having the hallways completely empty when logically they should be packed with students. I'm more lenient with this, so long as something is within the realm of possibility it's probably okay, but don't stretch the suspension of disbelief too far. If, after a private warning, you continue to misuse your responsibility, then I will suspend your character pending discussion with you about what is and is not appropriate behavior. The same goes for writing a major NPC, or indeed any general offense: you get a private warning from me, and if the problem isn't fixed, I will suspend your character until I've had a chance to talk to you about the issue and how to prevent it. If after having your character suspended for an infraction you repeat the same offense (three different offenses would result in three warnings), then I will be forced to consider booting you from this roleplay. I reserve the right NOT to boot anyone for a third offense, or to reinstate anyone's character after they've been booted, as well. It might not be the end of the world, but try not to reach that point in the first place. I really don't want to have to use any of these disciplinary measures, people. It's like it says in the forum rules: do not be an idiot. I promise that honest misunderstandings will not get you kicked out.

As regards OOC comments in the IC thread, they are perfectly fine, but if you make an OOC comment that I think is important, or if the answer to an OOC comment is important, I will request that you copy-pasta that into this OOC thread so it's easier to find and reference in the future.

Thank you for going through that wall of text, I know quite a few of you are very busy people and I appreciate your time. To show my gratitude for putting up with my ramblings, I have here a plate of... of... dammit, the cookies are gone. Give me a moment, I have to have a word with my puppy about eating things labeled "Good Behavior Incentives." D:<

VAE

Heh.
That disclaimer gets you the official Clan Sorel award for bureaucracy :3 I'm sure Tape's lawyer clans would be interested too (I seem to recall there were two near the end of PF)

On a second note, with respect with how things tend to happen, you missing for two days is not a "hiatus" by any means - that's what it usually looks like when games are fully active. :3

As for swarms of fangirls... it probably doesn't help that there's a canon character that can do a swarm of fangirls all by herself
Saphroneth

Eli_In_Chains

Yeah, I get carried away doing rules sometimes. Well, anyway, I'll be playing a character for sure; whether I also decide to try out the more tabletop style of doing this, doing separate GM posts for scenes, will depend on whether it looks like things would run smoother that way.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on October 12, 2012, 11:33:11 AM
Yeah, I get carried away doing rules sometimes. Well, anyway, I'll be playing a character for sure; whether I also decide to try out the more tabletop style of doing this, doing separate GM posts for scenes, will depend on whether it looks like things would run smoother that way.

It does look rather more regimented and strictly-enforced than the other RPs on this forum, which are usually run more along the lines of an interactive story.  I guess we'll have to see how it pans out.

Eli_In_Chains

I generally run my RPs as cooperative stories as opposed to interactive stories, the difference being that I like when the players have general control over the plot, and thus I have to allow for safeguards so nobody  hijacks it and makes it unfun.

And generally speaking if people aren't happy with the way I'm running it in some way, I'll change it. Who knows? I could end up taking the role of GM and just describing scenes as necessary, if that's what everyone wants me to do.

Corgatha Taldorthar

When do we get to hear who our characters roomies are?
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Eli_In_Chains

Currently I have a general idea to that direction, but I'm waiting for JamesCray's profile before finalizing the pairs. If it isn't in by tonight, I'll proceed without it, and release the list in this thread at that time.

AmberCross

So after reading your wall'o'text... I need to ask something. Does Oolong count as a minor or major NPC? Seeing as how my character hangs out in the library lots, he will probably end up talking with her frequently and is probably friends with her at this point, or at least as much so as Abel was in the comic. It would probably be easier if I could control at least minor dialogue such as asking her where to find books. Timeline wise... this is probably after Abel got banned from the library so I won't worry about him, though I'm not sure what color scheme I should assume: the green/black one she has 'now' or some random thing in between her pastel phase and the green/black one.

Which leads me to a side question. Is it okay to include minor actions of 'major NPCs' in general like having Fa'lina appear just long enough to clothesline you and remind you not to run in the hallways? There's probably no real reason to logically run into say... Abel, but Fa'lina, Oolong, heck even Destania are all fixture type NPCs that you would logically run into occasionally under the right circumstances and if you're not doing a whole scene with them, waiting for you to fill in the small stuff for something like the following can just slow stuff down.

"Tristan walked past the Pain and Torture and as he glanced inside he saw Destania, the teacher, manage to extract some poor soul's spine without killing them. As the being screams in agony, Tristan hastily moves onward, suddenly remembering why he usually doesn't take this shortcut."

Eli_In_Chains

I'm glad you asked about that.

Yes, those sorts of things would be perfectly fine. In the case of your character, talking with Oolong is likely to be a very common thing; it wouldn't be fair to ask you to wait on a reply from me, after all. Minor interactions with any character, so long as you have reasonable cause for it and handle it responsibly (keeping them in character is very important, so long as you manage that don't worry), are just fine for you to handle on your own, even with major canon characters like Fa'Lina or Destania. Kallis, for instance, will likely be talking with Destania now and then. Now, as for what classifies as minor interactions... this should be pretty common-sense-ish, but if it's over and done within the course of a single post, then don't worry about it. And really don't worry too much about whether it counts as a "minor" interaction: if the character is played well and stays in character, you're perfectly fine and you don't need to worry, even if the contact isn't trivially brief.

...I reserve the right to add a brief scene to any of my posts extolling the interaction from the point of view of the NPC, especially if I think it would be funny. For example,

"Destania ground the being's face into the floor of her 'demonstration area' as she ripped abruptly upward with her free paw, a loud crack echoing through the classroom and out the open door, followed by light applause, screams of agony, and... footsteps? She glanced at the door and smiled a little before returning to her lecture. 'Now, once it's out, you're mostly done. But don't think you can relax! If you hesitate, then they're going to die before you get a chance to put it back, and your fun is over.'"

Eli_In_Chains

JamesCray hasn't posted his character, soo here is the list of roommate pairings, and a character I created to fill the remaining spot. The list will be placed in the opening thread, as well as a link to the character.

Blaine Rath - Tristan Blake
Mira Whalen - Kart Scubs
Niall Jakobsohn - Horethen Aldoraethar
Roxanne Tannis - Kallis Ja'Krath
Dosve Donya Piflak - Gideon Owona

Name: Gideon Owona

Years Enrolled: 211

Clan: Owona

Species: Felid (cheetah)

Current Major: Adventuring/Combat Skills

Appearance: When looking at Gideon, it's easy to mistake him for a leopard or jaguar rather than a cheetah, if you don't notice the dark streaks beneath his eyes. He keeps in good shape and has more muscle mass than usual for his species as a result; his dusty blond hair is usually a messy medium-length mop, hanging just above his naturally-glowing green eyes (the result of being born into Owona Clan). He has the uncommon distinction of being born with mixed wings, though it can be easy to miss as both the feathers and the wing membranes are jet black. Despite the fact that he knows it's not a good habit for a combat specialist to be in, he does usually have a pair of steel earrings in his left ear, one stud and one proper ring. He wears no other jewelry. His outfit is usually tailored to whatever he is doing at the moment; in the halls, it's usually a brown leather jacket, a plain short-sleeve button-up shirt, and a pair of blue jeans, with steel-toed work boots. However in his classes, nearly all of which revolve around combat, he'll usually change into a sleeveless tee and a pair of shorts, often choosing to go barefoot in such circumstances as well. This shorts-and-sleeveless-shirt combo is also what he will shapeshift his wings into should he find himself without clothes for any reason. His clan symbol is on the inside of his left forearm, near the elbow, and while he didn't make any special efforts to hide it even before entering SAIA, it is in a location that is naturally concealed by his sleeves, when he wears them.

Personality: Gideon tends to be a pretty average Cubi. Not stereotypical in the sense that he has any intentions of seducing prey and eating their souls, mind you, but average for a real Cubi. He's impulsive, rash, makes split-second decisions when he really shouldn't, and very, very emotional. Gideon is also extremely competitive, and will seek out any competition he can, particularly physical challenges. He is always first to volunteer in Quill's classes, and last to tap out and admit he lost. In fact, he's been knocked unconscious more times in his classes than he's tapped out of a match. While he is far from the top of his ordinary combat classes--more senior students hold those positions--he is currently the undisputed champion of chess-boxing at SAIA, wherein between bouts of the fight you play a game of chess against your opponent. He may be an impulsive, emotional, and abrasive individual, but he still has something of a gift for strategy. It's just that when it comes time to apply that strategy, he finds it difficult if it involves anything more than moving pieces on a chessboard. It certainly doesn't hurt that he gives his opponents enough blows to the head in the ring to slow down their strategic thinking, too. His strongest emotional affinity is rage, much like his clan, but he absorbs anger and humiliation nearly as well. As a result, any mindgames he's likely to play are intended to infuriate others. And if they're angry enough to cause a physical altercation, well, then he gets his dose of humiliation when he puts them on their ass. Lately, however, he's kept his energy-feeding to the sparring ring, volunteering to "demonstrate" with the younger Cubi in the beginners' classes.

Background: Gideon was raised by openly Cubi parents, the mother an Owona succubus and the father a Seme incubus. Well... they were open to him, in any case. He's known his heritage for as long as he can remember, though he's also known that he has to hide it from some people. As a child his parents home-schooled him, since they couldn't afford to send him to a school that wouldn't ask too many questions about his wings once the mother had given up adventuring to raise her child. He knew, though, that once his headwings came in he'd learn enough to more than make up for the lack of early education when he went to SAIA. His headwings emerged without much event, and his folks put in an application for him immediately, giving him some minor training on the basics of being a Cubi, such as hiding his head- and back-wings with his new shapeshifting talents. Learning these minor details kept him occupied until he was accepted to the Academy, and he's been studying there ever since, though he visits his home for a weekend every decade to wish his parents well and enjoy a holiday dinner with them.

JamesCray

Sorry for this taking so long, I've been back and forth regarding what kind of character I wanted to play.

Name: Kody Craig

Years Enrolled: First Year

Clan: Sor'Qin

Species: Fennec

Current Major: Watchmaking

Appearance: Kody is a fennec, which for those unfamiliar means that he is a fox, but Fun Sized, with proportionately ENORMOUS ears. He comes in at just over waist height to the average male Being, if you don't count his ears, which can add a good extra head-height when held fully upright. His fur is a sandy tan, darkening to almost-black dark brown at the tips of his ears and tail, similar in color to his hair, which he tends to leave long and shaggy. His wings match this color scheme, feathered, with tan coverts and almost black flight feathers. Breaking the streak of warm colors, his eyes are a deep blue-grey, and his clan marking, which is lavender and sits on the left of his chest like an alligator on an expensive polo shirt. Speaking of shirts, his wardrobe as he came to SAIA is... Shall we say limited? If he owns any clothes outside of an indigo cloak, black mock-turtlenecks, and grey slacks, he hasn't been seen in them since he came to SAIA. He also is frequently seen wearing a fairly bulky pair of black and silver browline-style eyeglasses.

Personality: It's easy enough to get two completely different impressions from Kody upon first meeting him, depending on his mood. Generally, he comes across as withdrawn but sweet natured. However, catch him when he's agitated and he can come across as an aloof, literal-minded, snippy, rude know-it-all. Both of these are partially accurate, in that they are facets of his personality. The real facade is the aloof, withdrawn-ness. He is very intelligent but absent-minded and forgetful, has strong opinions but because he has serious confidence issues is often afraid to express them, and even stronger emotions, but attempts to restrain them because the last time he went out of control things became violent.

Background: Kody is the son of Eileen and Jacob Craig. Eileen had settled down to be a librarian in a middling-sized town before being wooed by Jacob, a glazier. A year or so later and Eileen had not one but two pieces of rather life-changing information to break to him. She was a succubus, and she was pregnant. After being roused from his fainting spell, Jacob swore to keep Eileen's species a secret and they were soon married. Then came the bundle of adorable that was Kody. For a while, they were happy. Unfortunately, as we all know, all good things must come to an end.

The beginning of the end came courtesy of his grandmother, at around the time he was four years old Kody's father decided they should visit his parents, let Kody meet his grandparents. This proved to be a mistake, as the first time Kody and Eileen were alone in the house, Jacob's mother barred the door and set fire to the place. Eileen was able to make an egress, and they left immediately. Jacob attempted to calm Eileen down, convince her that his mother just needed to get over old prejudices, but she would have none of it, and gave the ultimatum that she never wanted to see the woman again. Returning to the town they lived in, tension ratcheted up between the two steadily, and Kody was left with a paralyzing fear of fire.

It all finally fell apart because of Kody's school. Being small and bookish with big ears, bad vision, and wings, Kody was picked on, to no-one's surprise. In order to curb this, Kody came to the conclusion that if he did not respond to the bullying, the bullies would lose interest and leave him alone. This didn't really work all that well, unfortunately. Spending his time alone, plowing through the library with prodigious speed, he developed a vocabulary and deportment somewhere along the lines of a university professor. Combined with his attempt to suppress his emotions, he came across as something of a Creepy Child, which unnerved the teachers as well as the students. When he did things that displeased his teachers, he was publicly humiliated, and when he did things that displeased the other students, he was bullied. Prizing his intellect, he became afraid to express himself openly for fear of being wrong, and withdrew further into himself. Eileen, previously engaged in trying to get the school to help him learn to fit in better, started trying to convince Jacob to move the family to her hometown. Jacob was resistant, and insisted that Kody needed to learn to stick up for himself.

Jacob, unfortunately, got his wish. One day, while a larger being classmate was teasing him, Kody snapped. Biting him in the leg, Kody brought him to the ground and struck his tormentor about the head with a book. It wasn't very effective, but once Kody came to his senses, he was devastated. Kody refused to return to the school, for fear that he would hurt someone else. Eileen once again was forced to make an ultimatum to Jacob. If he stayed, he would lose both his wife and his son. He chose to stay. All was not bad, however, as West Lakeshore proved considerably more suited to Kody, and he even made several friends, including one, a female demon, who has sort of taken up the position of 'cool big sis'. Then his headwings came in, and off to SAIA he went.
I wish the real world would just stop hassling me.
"I work in Fringe Division. Weird is a matter of degrees."

Eli_In_Chains

As discussed, your character gets my full and official

APPROVAL

Let me go get your cookies out of the oven. ...oh. Oh my. I'll, uh, be right back, I have to go buy some cookies to replace the ones that I definitely did not burn.

Corgatha Taldorthar

ooooh, chess-boxing :D

But Horethen probably isn't as good at chess as I am :( Or boxing, for that matter :(
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

VAE

Lemme guess -you box better than Kasparov and can beat Mike Tyson in under twenty turns?
Saphroneth

Eli_In_Chains

I could probably beat Kasparov if he didn't know we were boxing! :D As for Mike Tyson, well. I think it would be hard to win a game of chess against a man that doesn't know what it is.

Posting up the IC thread now.

Tapewolf

Okay, I made a few assumptions (the rough time, for example).  Let me know if there's anything which needs tweaking.

VAE

I heavy-duty lol'd and am looking forward to how this is going to end.
Saphroneth