Motorized bicycle

Started by thegayhare, May 08, 2014, 08:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Hey all.   Its 18 days till my trip to see my foxy but while i'm waiting I wanted to look into making a motorized bike.

I've seen conversion kits online, kits that range from 200 bucks for a 2 stroke kit to 500 for a 4 stroke kit.

I'd want a 4 stroke since that would mean I wouldn't have to premix my gas and since it would be quieter,  so I've also been looking for instructions on how to frankenstine my own motor bike,  I've seen some ways to do it using  weed whacker, or chainsaw motors.   I'm looking into that.  we have a gas powered pressure washer that doesn't work,  the engine is big and runs fine but its got some sort of leak in the water pumo so you get no presure. the motor looks nice but I don't know if it has enough torque   

I've seen ways to do a friction driven type but you would lose the use of your rear breaks,  and I've seen instructions on how to build a chain driven type,  but the plans for that are less comprehensive.   

I have a 10 speed bike I got just for this purpose, cost me 5 bucks.

I'm not sure what I want to do.   A kit would be safest, but thats really costly,  I could frankenstein one and I think thats the way to go.   I asked about using the broken pressure washer but my dick head step dad is having a hissy fit that he thinks I just was using it wrong...  since he bought a brand new one anyway I don't know why he even cares. 

So what do you folks think?  should I try and find another motor? or should I look into getting a kit?  I might be able to find a chainsaw or weed whacker at the same auction I got my 5 dollar bike?  Has anyone seen any good instruction sites?  Should I go friction or chain drive?

Here are the two best ones I found
Friction drive
http://www.instructables.com/id/how-to-make-the-cheapest-motorbike-ever/

Chain Drive
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-really-cool-gas-powered-motor-bike/

VAE

Friction drive seems like something that'll wear the tires out real fast. I'd try for chain.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

thegayhare

Quote from: VAE on May 08, 2014, 09:50:39 PM
Friction drive seems like something that'll wear the tires out real fast. I'd try for chain.
That is a worry,  but I also heard that they are much louder too.  So I think I will be going for a chain drive.   I also took a closer look at the pressure washer.   Unfortunately the engine orientation is not compatible with out heavy modification of a type far beyond my skills so I'm still looking for a motor too