2014/04/24 - [DMFA #1480] All those realms

Started by Techcubi, April 24, 2014, 09:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techcubi

So, does this mean that every single realm connected to Furrae has the exact same geography as it?

Mischa

ALL THESE WORLDS
ARE YOURS EXCEPT
FURRAE
ATTEMPT NO
LANDING THERE

... Sorry, first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title.  Cookies for anyone who can get the reference (without googling it)? :P

Always nice to see more information on the fae.  It's nice to see an actually well-done cosmically powerful species...

lemurvid

That would be the end of 2010 (the movie, I haven't read the book). Was it Io originally?

In other news, is that a slightly different hairstyle on Amber there?

Mischa

*hands a cookie to lemurvid*  In the transmission it was "Europa" instead of "Furrae".  Remember the probe they sent down there that got fried?

lemurvid

Europa, that's right. I was trying to remember all the moons of Jupiter. But I mostly remember being confused by the ending (even more than 2001, amazingly!)
Looking back,( gigantic spoiler alert)  I'm presuming the aliens were starting a new experiment on Europa with the monolith again using the exploded Jupiter as a power source. Though whether this meant they thought we were a failure is a moot point. I mean, starting two civilisations in the same solar system?

Mischa

The books do go more into detail about what happens -- the ending of 2001 is pretty cool in the book, as it has some rather lavish descriptions of the parts of the universe Bowman finds himself in after going through the monolith.  As for 2010, the book describes how the lifeforms on Europa were actually starting to develop civilizations around the volcanic vents at the bottom of the ocean... but were doomed to languish there, as the environment was too cold for them to travel far from their vents.  The aliens wanted to nurture their civilization, so decided to ignite Jupiter in order to give Europa a better environment.

The movie for 2010 does have a more exciting ending, though. :P  (In the book, they get to a safer distance before the ignition, and thus there's a lot less tension...)

lemurvid

joshofspam

Choose your preferences. Obey the law. Act in accordance to your selected character type.

Sound almost like the Fey are living their life in the multiple universe as a table top RPG.

That kind of makes you wonder what Mab's is so sad about every time she goes back to the Fae realm and why she's so eager to drive towards her goals if it bothers her so much?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

ZacAttac21

INCOMING SPECULATION

So, based on the latest page and this page, I'm guessing one of Mab's "rules" is that she is no longer omniscient while in Furrae?

Also, based on the same page in the link above, can we also infer that Pip is a Fae and his "rules" have sealed him into the form of a drake while in Furrae?

Fresnor

Now I'm starting to wonder how often a fae goes to war with him/her/itself out of boredom.

Howl

So does this mean to break the implication that SOMETHING stands above the Fae?

Tuyu

Quote from: joshofspam on April 24, 2014, 01:57:28 PM
That kind of makes you wonder what Mab's is so sad about every time she goes back to the Fae realm and why she's so eager to drive towards her goals if it bothers her so much?
The normal answer to that would be, "So that it won't be even worse."

Hariman

Quote from: CubiKitsune on April 24, 2014, 04:27:37 PM
INCOMING SPECULATION

So, based on the latest page and this page, I'm guessing one of Mab's "rules" is that she is no longer omniscient while in Furrae?

Also, based on the same page in the link above, can we also infer that Pip is a Fae and his "rules" have sealed him into the form of a drake while in Furrae?

Hmm. I got the impression that Pip was actually a dragon trapped in Drake form. Although... being a fae is a small possibility.

I still lean towards "Pip is a dragon" though.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

lilpuppy23

A search on the hashtag does not return any results...

Alondro

And in our universe, Mab is a weird furry comic artist who obsesses over wurms and tacos.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Arcblade

Quote from: joshofspam on April 24, 2014, 01:57:28 PM
Choose your preferences. Obey the law. Act in accordance to your selected character type.

Sound almost like the Fey are living their life in the multiple universe as a table top RPG.

I'm fairly certain she's mentioned while in the Fae realm that there's a war coming, and Jyrras is the key to the power shift.  Or at least his inventions are.  Also at least two of Mab's friends on Furrae are going to die.  So I'd say knowing that is pretty good reason to be depressed. 

As I've just typed this without references, let me go find some, because good boys and girls cite their potentially flawed memories with approved sources!  (adds hyperlinks into the above paragraph)

Those strips I linked remind me that it's heavily implied Dan's wish is the last such Fae boon (see second linked comic).  So now I'm eagerly awaiting the circumstances of that occurring.  Love this story.   :mowcookie

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Arcblade on April 30, 2014, 09:37:47 PM
Those strips I linked remind me that it's heavily implied Dan's wish is the last such Fae boon (see second linked comic).  So now I'm eagerly awaiting the circumstances of that occurring.  Love this story.   :mowcookie

Heh. It might well be Fi who's the last one owed a boon. Ever consider that? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Arcblade

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 01, 2014, 10:24:37 AM
Quote from: Arcblade on April 30, 2014, 09:37:47 PM

Heh. It might well be Fi who's the last one owed a boon. Ever consider that? ;-]

Nope!  Thanks, llearch.  XP