2014/03/17 [Matilda #54] Friggerin' Pancakes

Started by Lorien077, March 17, 2014, 02:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorien077

Seems it proves to be a bit of extraordinarily good news for Matilda that this group of adventurers are the kindly and/or responsible type.

Also this explains a lot, IIRC she's stated a dislike for pancakes before.  Anyone remember which strip?  Or have I gone mad with the green fever?
You have my permission not to love me; I am a cathedral of deadbolts and I'd rather burn myself down than change the locks.

My scribbles: http://lorien077.deviantart.com/

Slacker Spice

Quote from: Lorien077 on March 17, 2014, 02:47:20 AM
Seems it proves to be a bit of extraordinarily good news for Matilda that this group of adventurers are the kindly and/or responsible type.

Also this explains a lot, IIRC she's stated a dislike for pancakes before.  Anyone remember which strip?  Or have I gone mad with the green fever?

She did - here.

"Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You English men are always so... bloody hell! [counting them on his fingers.] Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks. Oh god... I'm English."
"Welcome to the nancy tribe."
Spike and Giles; "Tabula Rasa"; Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Aw, great, you blew up the 'wah-wah' machine!"
"PORCUPINES ARE GOD!" - Nostalgia

Anri

Yes, now the fear of pancake ferrets makes perfect sense!

Icalasari

I wonder what kind of reaction it was?

Was it similar to those suffering from malnutrition?
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 08, 2011, 10:54:19 AM
Warning! This cubi has encountered an unknown error and needs to restart
Do you wish to start in safe mode ? Y/N
Loading last known good configuration.....
Loading WinMows....

ZacAttac21

Yeah, I don't like Yellow Jungle Lizard pancakes either.

tehbeefer

Eight years later and the explanation I didn't think I'd get.  Nice. 

Lorien077

Quote from: Slacker Spice on March 17, 2014, 03:10:57 AM
She did - here.

Thank you Slacker Spice!

Quote from: Icalasari on March 17, 2014, 03:20:19 AM
I wonder what kind of reaction it was?

Was it similar to those suffering from malnutrition?

The way she called the pancakes 'acid covered' makes me wonder if perhaps her stomach's tender nature didn't take well to the mild acid that is maple syrup.  (Both it and corn syrup rank about a 5 on the pH scale, meaning somewhat acidic) 
Most definitely over-thinking that one though, its probably just being suddenly tossed in the deep end as far as ingesting solids.  (Which I think can be part of suddenly ingesting full on food when recovering from malnutrition?  I know that if someone is recovering from serious enough starvation you're supposed to start with broth and small bits of bread.)
You have my permission not to love me; I am a cathedral of deadbolts and I'd rather burn myself down than change the locks.

MT Hazard

Anyone who had been really ill knows that you should start with simple foods, like toast. He seems to mean well  but as some one hopes to investigate another species and culture he really should have known better.

I'm petty sure that there are humans that would have a bad reaction to syrup covered pancakes if they had a simpler diet.

Translation begins

First line:
So we figure we got about one more week before (we?) need to pack up head back home
Enough time to get a few more samples and stuff.

Second line:  what? You don't look well Matilda

Third and fourth line:
Are you hungry? Here! Have some pancake!
I guess you haven't eaten anything since you got here.

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Mischa

Quote from: Lorien077 on March 17, 2014, 05:01:39 AM
The way she called the pancakes 'acid covered' makes me wonder if perhaps her stomach's tender nature didn't take well to the mild acid that is maple syrup.  (Both it and corn syrup rank about a 5 on the pH scale, meaning somewhat acidic) 
Most definitely over-thinking that one though, its probably just being suddenly tossed in the deep end as far as ingesting solids.  (Which I think can be part of suddenly ingesting full on food when recovering from malnutrition?  I know that if someone is recovering from serious enough starvation you're supposed to start with broth and small bits of bread.)

I'm wondering if it's more of a biochemical reaction instead, and simply caused a 'burning sensation' much like one would associate with acid.  Given that Matilda grew up in a relatively harsh environment and apparently could eat crystals for nutrition, her stomach seems like it should be relatively durable... but one never knows with foreign proteins and such.

I remember reading a discussion once about the dangers of travelling into a 'mirror world' (such as in Alice Through The Looking Glass), due to the reversed chirality proteins that would be found in food there.  A glass of milk from a mirror world would likely be toxic to most humans...

Tuyu

Quote from: Mischa on March 17, 2014, 10:41:16 AM
Quote from: Lorien077 on March 17, 2014, 05:01:39 AM
The way she called the pancakes 'acid covered' makes me wonder if perhaps her stomach's tender nature didn't take well to the mild acid that is maple syrup.  (Both it and corn syrup rank about a 5 on the pH scale, meaning somewhat acidic)  
Most definitely over-thinking that one though, its probably just being suddenly tossed in the deep end as far as ingesting solids.  (Which I think can be part of suddenly ingesting full on food when recovering from malnutrition?  I know that if someone is recovering from serious enough starvation you're supposed to start with broth and small bits of bread.)

I'm wondering if it's more of a biochemical reaction instead, and simply caused a 'burning sensation' much like one would associate with acid.  Given that Matilda grew up in a relatively harsh environment and apparently could eat crystals for nutrition, her stomach seems like it should be relatively durable... but one never knows with foreign proteins and such.
The impression I've gotten from the story so far is that the crystals 'fed' Matty and her people directly, by proximity.

Between that and the liquid magic 'water', she's probably never experienced hunger before. If it weren't for he readiness to try the pancakes, it wouldn't surprise me if she'd never had solid food before.

OOh...second idea:  between absorbing from crystals and drinking liquid magic, Matty's body has never produced stomach acid before...

joshofspam

So Matilda might be able to eat pancakes, but her first experience with them was when her body wouldn't have been able to handle something so solid.

Mmmmmmmmmmm...Pancakes. :dribble

Edit: Still it's interesting to note that Matilda seems to be in a medical bed very similar to what they use now in hospitals here. It's also interesting to consider the likelyhood that others banished from their clans most likely survived after being cast out if they had similar problems.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Masque

Refeeding syndrome. Giving normal food to someone who has suffered starvation is bad.

Matilda wasn't truly starved, but her body had never dealt with solid food and she'd been away from the crystals for days.

Lorien077

Quote from: Masque on March 18, 2014, 09:48:31 PM
Refeeding syndrome. Giving normal food to someone who has suffered starvation is bad.

Matilda wasn't truly starved, but her body had never dealt with solid food and she'd been away from the crystals for days.

Thank you Masque, thought that was a thing but had no idea what it was called.  Now we can read up properly~

Brunhidden

in addition to the act of giving food to someone who has not eaten 'in a really long time' are two other addons

1- matilda had expressed her favorite foods are 'flammable', her biochemistry is a good few steps to the left of normal, and the van diagram probably most overlaps with high proof alcohol. recall the sack lunch incident with the shroombunny?

2- this isn't just 'hasn't eaten in a long time' the concept that food goes into the mouth was so foreign to her that a rumble in her stomach is 'arrrg, there's a monster somewhere between my lung and my uterus!'  the idea that sensations from the mouth similar to tasting likely took her completely by surprise. in a Terry Pratchett Discworld novel one of the scenarios that occurred was a bunch of newly formed bodies (don't ask for explanations, you have read it or not) trying to take over a city find out that tasting or even smelling chocolate is such an intense sensory overload they die from shock- one of them was able to manage a mouthful of dry toast but that was equivalent to bungee jumping with your tongue

perhaps part of the fright was that syrup would be mildly flammable and sticky to the inside of the mouth? im unsure how much saliva she has, so a small flame sticking like peanut butter in a dogs mouth might have freaked her out too
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

LionHeart

Quote from: Brunhidden on March 19, 2014, 08:53:44 AMin a Terry Pratchett Discworld novel one of the scenarios that occurred was a bunch of newly formed bodies (don't ask for explanations, you have read it or not) trying to take over a city find out that tasting or even smelling chocolate is such an intense sensory overload they die from shock- one of them was able to manage a mouthful of dry toast but that was equivalent to bungee jumping with your tongue
Thief of Time, for those curious.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: LionHeart on March 19, 2014, 09:18:49 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on March 19, 2014, 08:53:44 AMin a Terry Pratchett Discworld novel one of the scenarios that occurred was a bunch of newly formed bodies (don't ask for explanations, you have read it or not) trying to take over a city find out that tasting or even smelling chocolate is such an intense sensory overload they die from shock- one of them was able to manage a mouthful of dry toast but that was equivalent to bungee jumping with your tongue
Thief of Time, for those curious.

Odd. From that description, I would not have recognised it. And I _have_ read (several times) the book in question. Hrm.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Attic Rat

Interesting situation. I wonder if a few drops of cooking fat would have been a better choice.
If her body has been metabolizing its own fats, that might not be too far off--and it's flammable.
Still, we know she can handle alcohol. The problem might be getting enough of it. Alcohol is expensive.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?