2014/01/03 [DMFA #1454] Heavy tidings, man

Started by Tapewolf, January 03, 2014, 02:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Well, that certainly came out of the blue.
Presumably that means she didn't send a rep to the meeting, because otherwise they'd likely have realised from the representative's reaction.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ZacAttac21

Well, that explains why we've seen a rep for all the clans except Owona (not counting Quoar)... :<

Lego3400

....Wow.  :erk Amber really knows how to set the bar high at the start of the year for bombshells.

lunarsage

Wonder what Amber Hizell will pull out of the bag next?

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Lego3400 on January 03, 2014, 03:34:10 AM
....Wow.  :erk Amber really knows how to set the bar high at the start of the year for bombshells.
That's why we love her! :3

Howl

Zezzuva prepares to march up the stairway to Heaven, and somebody thrown Owona up there first.

It's pretty obvious it's a dragon situation.

MT Hazard

Poor Owona, we barley knew yee.

While Dest's mass murder/banishment plan is still a horrific idea, it is looking increasingly necessary.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Zebra Bug

....welp. That sets the bar high for the start of the year, don't it? I wonder who did her in....I mean, the obvious answer would be Hizell...but that is OBVIOUS....and we all know how our beloved Ambaaargh loves throwing her hips out with plot twists...or maybe because it is so obvious we would think it would be otherwise when it is in fact Hizell but we are surprised anyways because it is so obvious....argh, head hurts.

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Wanderer

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 03, 2014, 05:40:47 AM
Poor Owona,

If you actually read that page, it makes this all the more unsettling. Clain Owona are the masters of physical combat. Tuan has better soldiers, but Owona has better fighters. And you can take it pretty much for granted that their clan leader is going to exemplify that clan ideal. If someone or something is capable of killing her, they can kill anyone in the entire species.

Joe3210

Quote from: MT Hazard on January 03, 2014, 05:40:47 AM
Poor Owona,
"This has resulted in some interesting rumors, which some suspect is really the plan all along."

This means I don't believe it until I see the body.
"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

lawl

Tapewolf

Quote from: Joe3210 on January 03, 2014, 07:18:41 AM
"This has resulted in some interesting rumors, which some suspect is really the plan all along."

That had occurred to me.  Not least because Fa'Lina said 'reported'.  After all, pretending to be dead might be a good way to stop the dragons from killing you.  And if Owona are secretive enough that they don't use the academy, it might even work.

On the other hand, this happening just after Hizell has talked about making a bold move... it's hard to tell.

HaDDea

Quote from: Joe3210 on January 03, 2014, 07:18:41 AM

I'd say this, except that the exchange is between Zezzuva and Fa'lina, two of the most honest and well-informed 'cubi we've met to date. I'm not sure Fa'lina would deliberately walk into a meeting she normally avoids in order to deliver news that is false and/or commonly known, and Zezzuva would certainly not accept it were she to know it to be false. This... is not normal.

crap... if it's true (and not a coup), then Fa'lina may be dealing with berzerk Owonnan students  :<

Where do the other clan leaders hang out? I mean, we're just looking at avatars in this room; where do the tri-wings normally hide themselves? I doubt striking or hitting an avatar would do too much harm (well, besides incurring their wrath). This means that either Owonna was either attacked wherever she hung out, or that she came out of hiding to specifically fight someone.

HoneyBadger

Holy cow, I was certainly thrown for a loop when I read the new update this morning.  :erk

I have a feeling that through out this year that Amber will be delving deeper into the threat that the CUBI race is actually in and focus on Abel more since he is the last member of his entire clan.

Tuyu

Quote from: Wanderer on January 03, 2014, 06:21:35 AM
If you actually read that page, it makes this all the more unsettling. Clain Owona are the masters of physical combat. Tuan has better soldiers, but Owona has better fighters. And you can take it pretty much for granted that their clan leader is going to exemplify that clan ideal. If someone or something is capable of killing her, they can kill anyone in the entire species.
Poisoned while asleep?

Jasae Bushae

They will never get our new insect overlords!
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

meltingface101

I thought Cubi never  sleep , and  depend  upon  magic  instead  of  standard  chemical  process .
All  things  float  down  here

joshofspam

Quote from: meltingface101 on January 03, 2014, 01:25:17 PM
I thought Cubi never  sleep , and  depend  upon  magic  instead  of  standard  chemical  process .
Well to be fair, it's already been proven with Abel that if not enough emotions are being absorbed to maintain the body, a cubi will default to beings means of supporting the body. Eating, sleeping and dreaming in other words.

Having a tri-wing in the clan can offset that a little and actively and selectively can change that even more. But as for a Tri-wings, I wouldn't believe they would need sleep or eating from the sound of things.

One would even suspect at that level of power that Tri-wings might be hard to kill not only because they have bigger bodies and more magic, but they might have regeneration powers at that level of power added to whatever shapeshifting powers they still maintain.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Mischa

Quote from: Wanderer on January 03, 2014, 06:21:35 AM

Nuked them from orbit.  Only way to be sure. :P

ZacAttac21

Come to think of it, does Seme's rep have a name?

PhycoKrusk

I couldn't find mention of it anywhere, but while it's stated that if a clan dies, leaving only the leader, that's basically it for the clan since they are incapable of making new cubi.

But if the leader dies, leaving the clan more or less as it was, then what happens? Can one of those cubi then move up into the leader position to keep the clan alive?

Tapewolf

Quote from: PhycoKrusk on January 04, 2014, 03:52:39 PM
But if the leader dies, leaving the clan more or less as it was, then what happens? Can one of those cubi then move up into the leader position to keep the clan alive?

Well, the first thing that happens is that all the members of the clan have some kind of mental fit.  It seems to be worse if the bulk of the clan are massacred at the same time - without sufficient help and support from other clans they are liable to be driven insane.  That, basically, is what turned Aniz from being an average guy into someone criminally insane.  (See Fa'Lina's expose in Abel's Story)

If the clan has some kind of command structure - and Owona's might - there is likely to be someone to step in and keep things running, assuming they weren't killed in the assassination as well and don't succumb to madness from losing their Leader.  Bear in mind that this does not make them the clan Leader - from what Amber was saying a normal 'Cubi who is in command of he clan is referred to as the representative, 'Leader' refers to an ascended 'Cubi.

Replacing the Leader is going to be nearly impossible - no-one has successfully ascended since Cyra and there have been a lot of attempts.  Supposedly it is possible to transfer the powers of a Tri-wing to another individual if an ordered succession occurs, and I think it may also be possible for the power to be stolen from the Leader in a coup (think Zezzuva) but I don't believe you can do either kind of clan continuity if the Leader is unexpectedly murdered.

Wanderer

The biggest problem seems to be that almost no one really understands how to become a clan leader. It apparently requires gaining absolutely ludicrous amounts of power all at once, but there have apparently been a number of attempts to become clan leaders which have failed. It is inadvisable to repeat what Cyra did, and the other leaders may not be all that willing to share their methods with people either (assuming they really understand how they did it in the first place).

Kazzellin

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 04, 2014, 04:20:10 PM
Supposedly it is possible to transfer the powers of a Tri-wing to another individual if an ordered succession occurs.
Yes; that's how Falina ascended, according to her page in Mink's report. (Or was it her profile?) There was another Clan Leader who ascended peacefully, but I can't recall who right now.

If Hizell is the one who took out Owona, then that was a bold move indeed.  :erk Makes me also wonder if he'd already captured her or something. O_o Not to mention the previous mention of how he was able to kill a Clan Leader without a huge confrontation, as pictured in Abel's Story.

Wednesday's update will be interesting, methinks.
"The internet is full of people who can type faster than they can think." - Jeff Murdock

HaDDea

Quote from: Wanderer on January 04, 2014, 06:31:05 PM
The biggest problem seems to be that almost no one really understands how to become a clan leader. It apparently requires gaining absolutely ludicrous amounts of power all at once, but there have apparently been a number of attempts to become clan leaders which have failed. It is inadvisable to repeat what Cyra did, and the other leaders may not be all that willing to share their methods with people either (assuming they really understand how they did it in the first place).

I believe it has been also noted that it is becoming increasingly difficult to become a Leader over 'cubi history. This has been accompanied by the use of increasingly violent methods to attempt ascent (though whether the violence is the cause or not is not known).

Quote from: Kazzellin on January 04, 2014, 09:11:19 PM
If Hizell is the one who took out Owona, then that was a bold move indeed.  :erk Makes me also wonder if he'd already captured her or something. O_o Not to mention the previous mention of how he was able to kill a Clan Leader without a huge confrontation, as pictured in Abel's Story.

Hizell is bad news bears for the 'cubi in general; he took out multiple clans and their leaders, including Jin's sisters and their clans, and killed all of Fa'Lina's clan except for her. I do not know what relationship M'Chek had to Hizell, or if he has a similar setup to M'Chek and is therefore upset that someone found out how some dragons were living so dang long, but his continued existence is very bad news for the 'cubi race.

A lot of the issues currently in Furrae seem to revolve around the use and abuse of souls and soul "energy", especially to extend one's own life - Destiana's decent into madness, 'cubi ascendancy, Cyra vs. M'Chek,  the dragon-cubi war, the Undead, Zivnth, Dark Pegasus, the decline of the Angel race. I wonder why so many creatures seem to be eager to use the stuff, seeing how much trouble it seems to cause.

joshofspam

Quote from: HaDDea on January 05, 2014, 12:17:23 AM
Quote from: Kazzellin on January 04, 2014, 09:11:19 PM

Hizell is bad news bears for the 'cubi in general; he took out multiple clans and their leaders, including Jin's sisters and their clans, and killed all of Fa'Lina's clan except for her. I do not know what relationship M'Chek had to Hizell, or if he has a similar setup to M'Chek and is therefore upset that someone found out how some dragons were living so dang long, but his continued existence is very bad news for the 'cubi race.

A lot of the issues currently in Furrae seem to revolve around the use and abuse of souls and soul "energy", especially to extend one's own life - Destiana's decent into madness, 'cubi ascendancy, Cyra vs. M'Chek,  the dragon-cubi war, the Undead, Zivnth, Dark Pegasus, the decline of the Angel race. I wonder why so many creatures seem to be eager to use the stuff, seeing how much trouble it seems to cause.

Well to add to that. Considering what M'Chek was up too.

One has to wonder if the Angel's really discovered the soul eating trick or did the dragons provide it in a way that made it seem that way because they knew all the other races would be hurt by it in the long run.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

I do not know what relationship M'Chek had to Hizell, or if he has a similar setup to M'Chek and is therefore upset that someone found out how some dragons were living so dang long, but his continued existence is very bad news for the 'cubi race.

I hadn't thought of that, but it's quite possible M'Chek was one of the children destroyed by the 'Cubi race...

QuoteA lot of the issues currently in Furrae seem to revolve around the use and abuse of souls and soul "energy", especially to extend one's own life - Destiana's decent into madness, 'cubi ascendancy, Cyra vs. M'Chek,  the dragon-cubi war, the Undead, Zivnth, Dark Pegasus, the decline of the Angel race. I wonder why so many creatures seem to be eager to use the stuff, seeing how much trouble it seems to cause.

Not sure quite where Zinvth fits into that, and the bulk of Destania's lifespan seems to have been provided by Cyra to prevent her line dying out completely, but yes.  It does seem to cause a lot of trouble.  I think it's because it can provide good results quickly and relatively easily.

AzureEdge

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 05, 2014, 06:40:37 AM
Not sure quite where Zinvth fits into that, and the bulk of Destania's lifespan seems to have been provided by Cyra to prevent her line dying out completely, but yes.  It does seem to cause a lot of trouble.  I think it's because it can provide good results quickly and relatively easily.
This comment made me possibly realize something. If that is the case with Destania, maybe her extended life is what is making her as insane as she is to decide her own daughter need to die when the dragon she is dating is a friend to cubi. Maybe Tri-Wings have something about them that keeps them from loosing their minds from their form of immortality, but for someone like Destania, who is just getting a boost to her life span like you said, said extended life can lead to eventual madness.

meltingface101

Sufficiently  powerful  entities  like  Fae  and  Dragons  are  canonically*  not  bound  by  time  and  space  . If  Destina  does  anything  Hizell  could  retcon  the  entire  race  away .

*may  rely  upon  previous  iteration  of  universe  that  was  retconned  out  of  existence .

The  cubi  race  overall  doesn't  have  the  maturity  or  cohesion  to  have  remotely  posed  a  threat  to  even  medieval  Europe . The  dragon  race  seems  to  occupy  the  same  niche  we  do  on  Earth . When  they  see  a  certain  animal  population  growing  out  of  control  hunting  season  is  declared . Granted  the  disparity  in  power  between  the  two  groups  I'm  surprised  no  one  referred  to  the  whole  event  as  pest  control .

So  I  don't  believe  the  dragons  have  any  involvement  in  the  clan  leader's  death , it's  to  small  scale  for  them . Perhaps  it  was  a  set  of  epic  level  mage adventurers .

Jigsaw Forte

Keep in mind that this thinking is akin to "I wonder why humans are so eager to use coal and nuclear energy, seeing how much trouble it seems to cause" -- i.e. it's a convenient energy source, ESPECIALLY in a world where technology seems to be  on the low side compared to ours (and indeed, it may be the only thing magical items run properly on) --  what other logic does there need to be?

... although I do wonder how long it'll take for a Cubi to figure that out, hook themselves up to a hydroelectric generator, and just sit back and wait for the buildup of energy to make themselves a tri-wing.

meltingface101

Considering  how most  creatures  view  beings  as  self  replicating  parcels  of  energy/food , so I  would  gander  on  never .
Also  they  can  only  consume  psychic  energies . A  jump  like  the  one  you  suggest  would  be  like  us  deciding  to  graft  symbiotic  plants  to  our  bodies to  consume  sunlight  and  water  vapor . It's  not  going  to  happen  unless  something  ridiculous  wipes  out  their  food  source .