2013/12/30 [Matilda #42] Trials, Honor and Loss

Started by MT Hazard, December 30, 2013, 05:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Well looks like Matilda is dead set on playing the bad guy. Is suicide shameful in their culture? So much so that being killed by someone they perceive as weaker would still be better?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

katasev

I think now it's more that Matilda really REALLY needs to be seen as the alpha in this situation. I'm not sure 100% sure what happens to females who don't have any kind of male to champion them when they AREN'T willing or able to fight, but considering earlier on in the narrative Matilda says that it's the male's job to make sure that his family isn't the "free spot" in the colony... I don't think Matilda particularly wants her sister and herself to become Open Spots #3 and #4.

With as angry as she was two updates ago and her face in this update, I think it might be safe to say we've moved on past "protecting Heshi's reputation" to genuine hate for his abandoning of the two of them when he supposedly loved them. Especially since it looks like we're gearing up for a potential execution - the fact that he's already readying the crystal spear and baaasically telling her to recant tells me that female insubordination is not particularly well tolerated.

HoneyBadger

I'm honestly getting scared about what will happen in the next update.  We all know that sooner or later, in some way, that Matilda will be exiled from the Blue Volcano instead of being executed.  However, what's going through my mind right now is how Matilda's punishment went from being slain to being exiled from the tribe and who VOUCHED for her.

Any ideas?

Tapewolf

Quote from: HoneyBadger on December 30, 2013, 09:57:21 AM
what's going through my mind right now is how Matilda's punishment went from being slain to being exiled from the tribe and who VOUCHED for her.
Any ideas?

Trial by battle?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

HoneyBadger

Trial by battle?
[/quote]

That could work possibly.  Honestly, I'm still have a hard time trying to follow the social structure of Matilda's homeland, it's so confusing.

joshofspam

So Matilda is taking the blame instead of letting it be known that her brother took her own life, perhaps?

Could she be looking out for her sister by taking up the responsibility that Heshi throw away?

If choices are made by the strongest male and Matilda could claim the rights of of her brother if she beat him in battle, it would make sense she could choose a husband for her sister. Of course Matilda would still be banished for killing her brother. But at least Hishnai would be taken care of.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

ZacAttac21

I get the feeling Hishnai is going to wind up dead too. Then again, I have this bad habit of always assuming the worst...

Tuyu

I just hope that we get an explanation. The way things are going, Mattie doesn't seem to have any reason to explain the true reasons for her actions, not to those in the blue volcano, and not to the unseen person she's talking to in the narration.

Zebra Bug

Poor Hishnai is so traumatized by all of this. In every page she has been in she seems so much....more delicate than Mattie. Fragile. Sweet, naive. Adorable really. But.... beloved father dead, beloved brother murdered (as far as she knows) by her beloved sister...sister gonna be executed or at the least exiled....and it seemed Hishnai spent all her her time with their father, so she likely doesn't have many friends....it will be tough for her. She might suicide herself....I hope not. But she may turn into a broken cutie...

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Tuyu

Quote from: Zebra Bug on December 30, 2013, 06:21:31 PM
...and it seemed Hishnai spent all her her time with their father, so she likely doesn't have many friends...
In the first couple of scenes inside the volcano, she seemed to have what passed for a normal social life, at least as far as the males were concerned (except that her brother couldn't be challenged).

Zebra Bug

She wasn't in the first couple of scenes. It seems to me she spends (spent) all her time taking care of their ailing father.

Boy. I took you out of this world and put you back into it. Don't make me try to repeat step one. -Kria

Tuyu

Ah...I had Hishnai confused with Kashi...   :blush

HoneyBadger

Well, I don't think that Hishnai would be able to comment suicide after all she's in a state of supreme shock at the moment; she believes that her older sister killed their brother, her father had recently passed away and now her world is inside out.    

From what I can gather so far, from both Matilda's story and the comic arc, that Hishnai will be taken care for by...a male whom Matilda or the Elder deems as a good husband later on.  It may seem like there is no hope for Matilda now, but I doubt that Amber is willing to kill off Matilda since she is a rather popular background character.  

All that we can do now is wait.

Zebra Bug

Um, even if Mattie wasn't popular she would not be killed. That would.....yeah. This is her back story, much before she met Mab and Dan. How could she possibly die in her backstory? I'm not worried about her at all. It isn't hopeless for her, we all KNOW what happens. She is exiled, and makes a way for herself in the world, and becomes pretty well off. We KNOW things work out for her. So....yeah.

And just because Hishnai is in shock doesn't mean she won't snap and do what her brother did. I doubt she will...but she will have troubles.

ArchTeryx

Quote from: HoneyBadger on December 30, 2013, 07:30:51 PM
Well, I don't think that Hishnai would be able to comment suicide after all she's in a state of supreme shock at the moment; she believes that her older sister killed their brother, her father had recently passed away and now her world is inside out.    

From what I can gather so far, from both Matilda's story and the comic arc, that Hishnai will be taken care for by...a male whom Matilda or the Elder deems as a good husband later on.  It may seem like there is no hope for Matilda now, but I doubt that Amber is willing to kill off Matilda since she is a rather popular background character.  

All that we can do now is wait.

Did You Die?

No, Matilda can't be killed off by definition.  She's narrating the story; obviously she survived what came.  However, the path she took out of the Blue Volcano has already had some surprising twists, and more are yet to come.  Her poor sister is traumatized for life, her brother committed suicide, and she seems quite likely to be booted out in disgrace, even if she escaped execution.  It'll be interesting to see the arc's finish.

Zebra Bug

Exactly. XD Unless.....O_O She's a ghost! *screams in horror*....Oh wait. No......she isn't. XD That would be a twist though.

HoneyBadger

[/quote]

Did You Die?

No, Matilda can't be killed off by definition.  She's narrating the story; obviously she survived what came.  However, the path she took out of the Blue Volcano has already had some surprising twists, and more are yet to come.  Her poor sister is traumatized for life, her brother committed suicide, and she seems quite likely to be booted out in disgrace, even if she escaped execution.  It'll be interesting to see the arc's finish.
[/quote]

First thing:  Was that a shot you made at me?

Second, I really can't wait to see what happens next.

ANTIcarrot

Um... Not to put too fine a point on it, but why the hell do they care?

The comic had been pretty clear that Heshi had no combat experience, and had the best cave in the cavern, where caves can be rightfully and legally claimed by killing their owner. (Or at least that's the strong impression I got.) He was a dead man walking the moment his father died. And everyone must have known that. So...?
<carefully leans closer to the spinning coffin>
"What's that Mr Mendel? Kill chakat Goldfur? Shi's making a mockery of all your theories?"

Jasae Bushae

Quote from: ANTIcarrot on December 31, 2013, 06:07:17 AM
Um... Not to put too fine a point on it, but why the hell do they care?

The comic had been pretty clear that Heshi had no combat experience, and had the best cave in the cavern, where caves can be rightfully and legally claimed by killing their owner. (Or at least that's the strong impression I got.) He was a dead man walking the moment his father died. And everyone must have known that. So...?
Putting aside the fact that we have seen little evidence that these fights for territory require fatalities, the male of the family has a say on who the women of the family will marry, meaning he could still declare his sisters would end up with nice husbands. Without his protection, in a society like that, he practically threw his sisters lives to the wind.

On top of that, exactly what was stopping him from training and preparing himself for his fathers demise? He sat on his hands the whole time and was dooming his sisters with his innaction.
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Tuyu

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on December 31, 2013, 09:13:30 AM
the male of the family has a say on who the women of the family will marry, meaning he could still declare his sisters would end up with nice husbands. Without his protection, in a society like that, he practically threw his sisters lives to the wind.
That's not the impression I have.

To me, it sounds like a male can let another male have a female if he's agreeable, but if he objects, he has to fight the challenger at least until the challenger backs down, or to the death if the challenger won't quit. So it takes a strong male to ensure his sister goes to an acceptable husband.

katasev

Quote from: Tuyu on December 31, 2013, 02:36:26 PM
the male of the family has a say on who the women of the family will marry, meaning he could still declare his sisters would end up with nice husbands. Without his protection, in a society like that, he practically threw his sisters lives to the wind.
That's not the impression I have.

To me, it sounds like a male can let another male have a female if he's agreeable, but if he objects, he has to fight the challenger at least until the challenger backs down, or to the death if the challenger won't quit. So it takes a strong male to ensure his sister goes to an acceptable husband.

But in a society that treats females baaasically like child-bearing property, what's the point of taking a wife if there's no "free spot" available for her to have a kid? Methinks that spot comes from the aforementioned alpha - after all, in most traditional family setups, there are two males and a female in sibling groups, so you don't really run into the "Well I'd fight your brother for you but he's already dead from fighting for the first sister" problem. So unless they're looking to find a brand-new home crystal (like Kesserk is doing) the males are going to have to fight SOMEONE to the death in order to actually be able to raise a family. Even if you're pulling a mate from the same home crystal group and don't need a free spot to open up in order to bring your wifey home (again, Kesserk and Kissriss(Matilda)/Kashi), in order to have kids, you need at least two fatalities to get your traditional matched set of brothers and a third fatality if you want that girl child after.

meltingface101

there  is  resurrection  magic , corporeal  undead , and  soul  transfer  magic  to  explain  this . I  read  somewhere  earlier  that  the  resurrection  relies  on  high  glucose  foods  like  waffles  :U.
All  things  float  down  here

Dracologist

Quote from: HoneyBadger on December 30, 2013, 10:17:32 PM

Did You Die?

No, Matilda can't be killed off by definition.  She's narrating the story; obviously she survived what came.
[/quote]

Seriously?  Watch Sin City.

Grey Wolf

On top of that, exactly what was stopping him from training and preparing himself for his fathers demise? He sat on his hands the whole time and was dooming his sisters with his innaction.

Judging by his demeanor, I'd guess clinical depression. Some common symptoms are lethargy, general lack of motivation, and chronic fatigue. Ironically, physical activity and interaction with others can counteract this. But without a doctor to say "Dude, I think you're depressed. Go spar, even though it kinda feels like your blood's turned to lead right now," most people are just going to go with not fighting their bodies and minds.

Societies without knowledge about mental health face this problem pretty often. Usually, the sick are demonized. For example: the deadly sin sloth?  Generally applied to people too depressed to do anything. Dante had a special place in Hell for the depressed, actually.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

seikueon

Quote from: Dracologist on January 02, 2014, 06:45:13 AM
Quote from: HoneyBadger on December 30, 2013, 10:17:32 PM

Did You Die?

No, Matilda can't be killed off by definition.  She's narrating the story; obviously she survived what came.

Seriously?  Watch Sin City.
[/quote]
Yes, but...you do know she's not a new character, right?  That this is the girl we know in "real time" in the main comic.

Tuyu

Quote from: katasev on December 31, 2013, 10:24:00 PM
But in a society that treats females baaasically like child-bearing property, what's the point of taking a wife if there's no "free spot" available for her to have a kid? ...
It's not entirely clear how stable their population numbers are. Males apparently fight often, not just for females, and there can be cave ins.

But when Kesserk was talking to Mattie, he said that the new cave he was digging would be for Heshi after he was beaten and Kesserk took over Mattie's home, so those fights aren't necessarily fatal, even if the males dislike each other.  Or maybe Kesserk was just being considerate.

HoneyBadger

There is no real way to tell until the next update on Monday.  I really hope that Amber will introduce another member to vouch for Matilda.