2013/10/11 - [DMFA #1436] The big question

Started by Tapewolf, October 11, 2013, 04:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

This should be good.  Dan doesn't seem to like dragons anyway so what he'll think about that is anyone's guess.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dard

Well, there's always Pyroduck.
Okay, it's not like they are friends, but he is his sisters' boyfriend.
I think Dan has good reasons to go in denial on this one, even if in this case we know he would be wrong.

Anri

Dan only seems to know Pyro and dragons he owes money to. And Shanna.

I wonder how Anna and Shanna are these days. o.o

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

I think he might make a slip and mention something about pyroduck and his sister without mentioning that it is pyroduck.  Something along the lines of "I had no idea she was planning such a thing but i can say i don't bare the same animosity for them as your telling me my mother does. My sister is even dating a dragon."   I feel Dan might say something like that but i wouldn't hold my breath either.
Ask not for whom the bell tolls, ask why is that guy holding his ears?

Ignuus66

(credit: Gabi)

MT Hazard

Dan doesn't need to play ignorant here, he really doesn't know anything about this. A brief explanation of just how bad a job his mother has done of teaching him about his species and culture is probably in order, that should avoid a lot of other questions he doesn't know the answer to.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

joshofspam

It's not really surprising that the whole meeting seems to focus around Dan and his family.

I wonder though if Dan's being clueless about his mother's past will shock the others or be a given sad fact and acknowledgement that Dan's mom has slipped further into her own little revenge filled world?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

Yeah, i know what i suggested is a very long shot off that can't be seen no matter how hard ya look. Just thought it was something possible of him saying along those lines not that exactly. ^^;
Ask not for whom the bell tolls, ask why is that guy holding his ears?

Eboreg

All things considered, Destania seems to be very enigmatic. Based on the way she raised Daniel, it seems that she doesn't want him to become psychotic like she did. She didn't teach him about torture, marriage deception, or even about the animosities that Dragons have for their clan. She taught Aniz everything he knew about tricking Beings into marrying but didn't go nearly as far as he did and even did a considerable amount of work minimizing any amount of damage that would have happened to Dan when he eventually did find out that he's a 'Cubi. Yet, she still has a rather vicious streak currently as she effectively threw Alexsi under the bus, still has it out for Abel, and is planning to commit genocide. Judging from all this, her motives seem to be very much up in the air and it may be that she recognizes that she is a monster.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

LionHeart

Quote from: Ignuus66 on October 11, 2013, 10:47:49 AM
I'm betting on "errr.. no?"
Either that, or something along the lines of "My mom's what now?"
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Eboreg on October 11, 2013, 06:09:41 PM
All things considered, Destania seems to be very enigmatic. Based on the way she raised Daniel, it seems that she doesn't want him to become psychotic like she did. She didn't teach him about torture, marriage deception, or even about the animosities that Dragons have for their clan. She taught Aniz everything he knew about tricking Beings into marrying but didn't go nearly as far as he did and even did a considerable amount of work minimizing any amount of damage that would have happened to Dan when he eventually did find out that he's a 'Cubi. Yet, she still has a rather vicious streak currently as she effectively threw Alexsi under the bus, still has it out for Abel, and is planning to commit genocide. Judging from all this, her motives seem to be very much up in the air and it may be that she recognizes that she is a monster.

Arguably, everything after "effectively threw Alexsi under a bus" was not necessarily what she had planned, but what she told Biggs she had planned.

There's a significant gap here. She may be playing a Xanatos Gambit here, and you can _bet_ she's not necessarily telling Biggs everything, or even the truth about anything - heck, he's as much as said so.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

wow are we being analytical, this thread is already getting to the point you have to look stuff up to follow along, even if thats looking up xanatos gambit up on tv tropes

.... that gives me an idea

either way the following issues come up

1- cyra is a clan of three, unless Ubergrandma or the Deathmilf is capable of slaughtering dragons Varsuvius style one could declare this to be an unachieveable goal

2- caveat to 1, for anyone to know the difficulty of that task we would have to know dragon population at current time. if its 'like twenty' then maybe you could pull it off if you had your button-o-doom. even if slaying a dragon is as easy for the two doom women as it is for me to eat a pie i still could not have the capability of eating all pies on the continent... i can still try though, but declaring it to be my lifes work is singly futile

3- it has been established that as a clan of three there is a lack of a governing body-represented body, and the cubi on this council should also be aware of a lack of communication with the matrons. this means either dan is being asked to speak for someone he has no information about intentionally, or the council is hoping to move toward dan being, in essence, 'the clan' considering mom is awol and granny is a boogeyman lurking where she cant get ALL of the revenge just yet. its largely in their favor to hope that dan is rational and willing to play ball under the pretense of having a legitimate aligance with a 'clan', grantd its a hot dude in a skit who can lovecraft swords in a way most cubi would be powerless against as well (its been established that although there are a few combat cubi the majority of them rely on trickery and magic to the extent they have near nill fight capability). making the assumption that dan will produce spratlings like nobodys business will make allying with him as the clan sound like an investment

4- finally, the question is stated as 'claims', the implication is that this is both past-tense, unverifiable, and has been communicated to the others... when? is this recent?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Starcat5

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 12, 2013, 09:43:50 AM
1- Cyra is a clan of three, unless Ubergrandma or the Deathmilf is capable of slaughtering dragons Varsuvius style one could declare this to be an unachievable goal

2- caveat to 1, for anyone to know the difficulty of that task we would have to know dragon population at current time. if its 'like twenty' then maybe you could pull it off if you had your button-o-doom. even if slaying a dragon is as easy for the two doom women as it is for me to eat a pie i still could not have the capability of eating all pies on the continent... i can still try though, but declaring it to be my life's work is singly futile

3- it has been established that as a clan of three there is a lack of a governing body-represented body, and the Cubi on this council should also be aware of a lack of communication with the matrons. this means either Dan is being asked to speak for someone he has no information about intentionally, or the council is hoping to move toward Dan being, in essence, 'the clan' considering mom is AWOL and granny is a boogeyman lurking where she cant get ALL of the revenge just yet. its largely in their favor to hope that Dan is rational and willing to play ball under the pretense of having a legitimate alliance with a 'clan', granted its a hot dude in a skit who can Lovecraft swords in a way most Cubi would be powerless against as well (its been established that although there are a few combat Cubi the majority of them rely on trickery and magic to the extent they have near nil fight capability). making the assumption that Dan will produce spratlings like nobody's business will make allying with him as the clan sound like an investment

4- finally, the question is stated as 'claims', the implication is that this is both past-tense, unverifiable, and has been communicated to the others... when? is this recent?

Caveat to 2: Location, location, location. It has been implied before that Dragons have a personal plane of existence much as the Fae do. If the grand majority of their kind is there, sealing it or causing it to collapse onto itself will wipe out the grand majority of their kind in one fell swoop. Everything after that is just mop up.

...also, I cleaned up a bit of the spelling and capitalization. Hope you don't mind.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Brunhidden

Quote from: Starcat5 on October 12, 2013, 10:06:48 AM
...also, I cleaned up a bit of the spelling and capitalization. Hope you don't mind.
my erratic capitalization is actually partially intentional, unless autocorrect does it without my knowledge i never capitalize 'I' while referring to myself

i also use 'air quotes' while typing if that bothers you, and apostrophes come and go as i give a cats fart

caveat to the caveat of 2, any race capable of creating or opening portals to a demiplane are likely to have precautions. the most likely of such is that should the main way to access said plane be destroyed or rendered unusable they have an alternate or many alternate ways to leave, again most likely is they have the knowledge to open a new portal. and dont say 'lost knowledge'; if you have a pair of handcuffs with no key you say 'bullshit' and don't use them, any defensive measure you cant patch or counter is a trap for yourself
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on October 12, 2013, 11:01:46 AM
caveat to the caveat of 2, any race capable of creating or opening portals to a demiplane are likely to have precautions. the most likely of such is that should the main way to access said plane be destroyed or rendered unusable they have an alternate or many alternate ways to leave, again most likely is they have the knowledge to open a new portal. and dont say 'lost knowledge'; if you have a pair of handcuffs with no key you say 'bullshit' and don't use them, any defensive measure you cant patch or counter is a trap for yourself

... or learn to use a lockpick really well. Or a bent paperclip. Or whatever. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

joshofspam

Another thing to consider about Destania's plan to get rid of all the dragons is that this plan might not work exactly like she plans it.

If she kills them all or locks them all away, that sounds like a plan with a lot of something backing it and with a lot of planning and intelligence gathering. That's a lot of things to get wrong, get done wrong and backfire on her.

We don't even know how she's going to do it, just that Biggs is an important part of that plan to advance them.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tuyu

Quote from: joshofspam on October 11, 2013, 02:40:40 PM
It's not really surprising that the whole meeting seems to focus around Dan and his family.

I wonder though if Dan's being clueless about his mother's past will shock the others or be a given sad fact and acknowledgement that Dan's mom has slipped further into her own little revenge filled world?
Maybe Zezzuva will deign to enlighten him.  Though I doubt it.

seikueon

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think Dan didn't like dragons.  I thought the only reason he worried about his sister was he had found out he was a Cubi...and all that entails.

So I kind of just imagine him mumbling and stuttering and then maybe their meeting getting crashed by someone important.  Like maybe his mom...

Tapewolf

Quote from: seikueon on October 17, 2013, 11:26:45 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think Dan didn't like dragons.  I thought the only reason he worried about his sister was he had found out he was a Cubi...and all that entails

Yeah, I think I may have been thinking of the non-canon stereotypes arc.  That said, given how precarious Dan's life is, I'd be amazed if his mother didn't feed him anti-Dragon propaganda while they were together.  If you recall Alexsi's reaction to finding out what Pyroduck was, she certainly has been clued in, and while Dan seems happily oblivious to the extent of the danger I would be surprised if he hadn't picked up some kind of vague "dragons = bad" vibe.

Tuyu

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 17, 2013, 11:34:49 AM
That said, given how precarious Dan's life is, I'd be amazed if his mother didn't feed him anti-Dragon propaganda while they were together.  If you recall Alexsi's reaction to finding out what Pyroduck was, she certainly has been clued in, and while Dan seems happily oblivious to the extent of the danger I would be surprised if he hadn't picked up some kind of vague "dragons = bad" vibe.
But if you recall Dan's reaction, it was "Well, what do you know, he really is a dragon..."

That's a less negative reaction than I'd expect for an average adventurer, much less someone whose parent is planning to do away with them all.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on October 17, 2013, 12:04:54 PM
But if you recall Dan's reaction, it was "Well, what do you know, he really is a dragon..."

I dunno, I always felt he looked a bit disappointed, but I'm probably reading too much into it.

QuoteThat's a less negative reaction than I'd expect for an average adventurer, much less someone whose parent is planning to do away with them all.
Well yeah, but he most likely doesn't know that.  Destania left him with a vow not to kill other 'cubi, I figure she would tell him to stay away from Dragons (but not why).  But given that she may have lost it completely it's always possible that she didn't.

ChaosMageX

I'm not so sure Dan thinks dragons are bad, considering he borrowed money from one and wasn't the least bit concerned about the dragon calling him on the debt, especially considering how ugly debt collection can get.  Those who have watched enough Family Guy should know that. ;)

Icon by Sunblink