How Awesome Art Thou Computer?

Started by xHaZxMaTx, September 02, 2006, 04:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDXM

It wouldn't make a difference if I ran the test or not because I'm not logging in from my home-PC, however, more than half of you leave me well in the dust. Ofcourse, considering the fact that I didn't spend a DIME on my PC, that can be expected. It apparantly used to be a beefed up Compaq Presario, now it's a mish-mash of the parts that were left over, and some things I could find off-handedly.

My PC (unupgraded):

1.2Gb Athlon AMD (Not yet overclocked)
120Mb RAM
total of 13.6Gb between three HDs
DVD-ROM
I HAD a CD burner, but I need to discover what's wrong with it.
Runs XP pro because I didn't care to bull-doze my old files.

Upgrade price tag won't be greater than 180$ but I shouldn't have to pay more than 100 period. After that I just need to find some internet.

xHaZxMaTx

120Mb of RAM?! :erk  I'd say a minimum now-a-days should be 512.

Aridas

120 megabits eh? that's pretty low for any computer at all.

mini-lion

thats not even possible by computer maths

2 -> 4 -> 8 -> 16 -> 32 -> 64 -> 128 -> 256 -> 512 -> 1024 (though rounded to 1000)

Cvstos

Actually it is possible if he's using an integrated video card.  A lot of them don't have RAM dedicated to the video card, so considering his system's age it's possible that integrated video card is taking an 8MB chunk.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

llearch n'n'daCorna

Alternatively he's got a 64, a 32, a 16, and an 8. This is rather less likely... :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Vidar

Quote from: mini-lion on September 06, 2006, 04:59:21 PM
thats not even possible by computer maths

2 -> 4 -> 8 -> 16 -> 32 -> 64 -> 128 -> 256 -> 512 -> 1024 (though rounded to 1000)

Or any combination thereof. E.G. You can have a 128 DIMM + a 256 MB DIMM in the same computer working  fine, and have a total of 384MB of RAM.

These days I wouldn't be caught dead with less then 512 MB of RAM. My next system will have 2048 MB.

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on September 06, 2006, 04:56:22 PM
120 megabits eh? that's pretty low for any computer at all.

That's megabyte. 120 megabits would be 15 megabyte, and I don't think there's a computer made in the last decade that has such an embarrassing amount of RAM.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

llearch n'n'daCorna

Palm Pilot. :-)

It's still a computer....

Vidar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 07, 2006, 05:33:44 AM
Palm Pilot. :-)

It's still a computer....

So is my pocket calculator, the timer in my microwave, and the program manager in my washing machine, but we aren't talking about those either. Now put your electronic agenda away, and let's get back to the real computers.  >:3
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

llearch n'n'daCorna

back in 1996, they were only just making P2's. And I'm sure, if I look, I can find you a 486 that was made back then, with <16Mb RAM.

If not a pentium that was built with that much.

Ah, the memories...

Aridas

Quote from: Vidar on September 07, 2006, 05:17:35 AM
That's megabyte. 120 megabits would be 15 megabyte, and I don't think there's a computer made in the last decade that has such an embarrassing amount of RAM.
*ahem* I'm making fun of the fact they say Mb instead of MB. Mb is megabit, MB is megabyte.

TheDXM

I can't explain the lack of the eight Mb either, but I checked and that's what it tells me. All in all it's hard to care either, 'since it won't stay that way if I can help it; the processor is decent enough and RAM doesn't cost much!

It IS awfully slow though, just running Windows 'since XP cuts what I have in half as it is.

HealingBlight

Which is not good enough! Need another GFX card, more RAM and a new CPU, if anyone has some high-tech, quality computer parts around, I'll be glad to take them off your hands. :P

JousterL

How cute.
To start with, it didn't detect my GeForce 7800 GTX... Granted that that might be because I'm currently rdesktopping, which uses a video driver hook. Still, it shouldn't depend on looking at some CURRENT_DISPLAY to detect it.

Second, it grabbed the free space on my System drive. Not factoring in the other two drives. So it says I have 130 gigs free, when I'm somewhere over the 300 gig mark (out of 500).

*shrug* Until I run into a game that actually manages to drag this thing down, I'll be happy with it. :)

Aridas

Same here. I recently upgraded my computer's awesomeness and now I'll never remember the meaning of "slow"

DigitalMan

Curses, it requires a scan, so it'll only measure this piece of crap. I'd rather it measure G.O.D.

When I bought it, the Generally Omnipotent Device was one of the most powerful computers in Ohio; absolute top-of-the-line, and it was custom assembled, not from a company like this Dell box. It still has the second-fastest 64-bit Pentium available, but with only 1GB RAM and 128MB video card, it's showing its age. The DVD burner can't even do the -R DL's.

As for hard drive space, I could care less. I abuse the hell out of it to the point that it requires a complete reformatting every three months, so the drive just barely gets full. I've got two DVD-RW's that can backup absolutely everything I need, which is all organized to be backed up when necessary.