2013/06/14 [DMFA #1409] A visit from mother.

Started by VAE, June 13, 2013, 11:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAE

So Destania made a visit in person. Makes me wonder whether she overheard the conversation that took place.
That said , Zezzuva is somewhat overestimating Dan's rationality, I'd expect.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Drayco84

QuoteWellp! Looks like its time to go see how Kria is doing.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGH!!! *Pelts Amber with water balloons.*

Surzsha

FREAKING OUT NOW.
Okay, freak out over.
I wouldn't hold Amber against doing that in the next update. She's got scene-changes down to a science.

BUTT, in all seriousness... I dunno. Seeing how that encounter went I think Zezzuva's on the right track with how Dan's going to take all this on the long run. I mean he may be over reactive and over emotional (as is expected), but he's not entirely stupid. Gotta give him some credit, he can pick up on things even if it takes more clues to find and longer than expected to put everything together.

Ganurath

NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

Jasae Bushae

Quote from: Drayco84 on June 13, 2013, 11:13:41 PM
:yeahthat

Picking up pitchforks and torches at bargain price aside though, I wouldn't be surprised if Cyra orchestrated it. There are few things quite as devious as a granny.
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

InsanityRequiem

Dun dun DUUUUUUUUUN!!!!! :U

Gosh be darned, Ambaaargh! You're cliffhanging everything ain't you!? Such an evil tease with plot, story, and developments of the most mind boggling nature! You be awesome, yus yus.

If that really is Destania, I wonder what brought her to this clan meeting. I doubt it was Grandma Cyra, since they're not on chat terms.
Who is the sanest of us all? Why, the insane of course!

Tuyu

Quote from: Ganurath on June 14, 2013, 12:03:52 AM
So, looks like now we get to meet Dimanika.
Or maybe the rep for the unidentified clan who owns the spying warp-aci.

But since the possibility has come up--I wonder how long Destania would have to be on the Academy grounds before Fa'lina's awareness would be able to follow her when she left... (If anything, I would consider that factor a near proof that this can't possibly be the real Destania.)

Venalitor

Quote from: Drayco84 on June 13, 2013, 11:13:41 PM

I must concur with Drayco here. . . NYYAAAAAAAAARRRGGH!
Just as it was getting really interesting too.

Tapewolf

If someone is doing that I'd chalk it up to someone more obviously devious, since it would be a perfect way to test Dan and see what he knows about his mother.

Dimanika seems a bit too far gone to be able to pull something like that off, since she is (or projects the appearance of being) very goofy and deranged and holding her act together enough to impersonate Dee convincingly might a little out-of-character from what I've heard.  Also, I'm not sure anyone outside of Dan's family really knows what she was like towards Dan and you'd need that information to be able to do this properly.

If it is Destania, that could be very bad, since she now has the opportunity to try and get Dan to murder Abel for her or at the very least poison things between them.

That said, frankly it does seem kind of odd for Dee to just be there.  I'd have expected some kind of heads-up from Fa'Lina

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

joshofspam

I'd have to agree with you Tape.

Considering Destania would be busy setting up Abel, it's unlikely that she would have time to set up this meeting. Though if it is, then one wonders how Zezzuva knew she was here and why Destania is here in the first place?

If Destania's really playing her son, at this time does she really need to play up her part anymore or will she start treating him like Abel?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on June 14, 2013, 03:49:38 AM
Considering Destania would be busy setting up Abel, it's unlikely that she would have time to set up this meeting. Though if it is, then one wonders how Zezzuva knew she was here and why Destania is here in the first place?

Yeah, I don't see Zezzuva bribing warp-aci with candy or comics.  Being the detective clan, it's quite possible that what she's saying is that she knows Dee is with Biggs... but it is also possible that Destania is here to make arrangements for Abel's death (though why Fa'Lina would have let her in if that was the case I know not).

If that really is her, whatever she's doing it's not likely to be to join the conference.  Not unless she's there to reveal her Dragon-smashing scheme to the other clans...

MT Hazard

This is how they meet again? But I had this idea for Dan catching her out, it involved him dressing in drag and giving Biggs mental scaring! Sigh...I guess it was not meant to be.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

ArchTeryx

Obligatory link.

We already MET Dimanika, and she was creepy as hell.

I'll take Zezzuva's Grand Veritable routine over that anyday, even if it was under somewhat...unusual....circumstances.

Kirrin_Shadowclaw

A good question might be, whats he gonna do now that he has seen her? I mean despite what Zezzuva said, he Could just run up and hug her or possibly even get a bit cross at her since he hasn't seen her in quite the long time. (Not counting that shape shifting into biggs thing.) Or even start asking about his father. We do know how sometimes dan's mind likes to wander off with out him... XD

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, ask why is that guy holding his ears?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kirrin_Shadowclaw on June 14, 2013, 08:39:21 AM
A good question might be, whats he gonna do now that he has seen her?

After Abel lost it and told him Destania was evil, and after Fi backed him up, Dan ran off to find his mother.  We don't know exactly what he planned but given the timing it seems highly likely that he wanted to find out the truth.  (Though why he didn't ask granny, I know not)

Mao

I guess the only thing I want to inject into this conversation is that it's been a constant theme in this comic that people are more than just single dimension characters.  To one person, a character is a murderous monster and to another, that murderous monster is their loving mother (see Kria).  Things are never so black-and-white in this world, not even DP.  This is why I think people really should think carefully before they get firm in the theory that Dee is just using Dan.  Is it possible?  Certainly, but I think it would be unfortunate to not consider the regular theme that has cropped up.

Bandersnatch

VAE

Quote from: Mao on June 14, 2013, 09:17:09 AM
I guess the only thing I want to inject into this conversation is that it's been a constant theme in this comic that people are more than just single dimension characters.  To one person, a character is a murderous monster and to another, that murderous monster is their loving mother (see Kria).  Things are never so black-and-white in this world, not even DP.  This is why I think people really should think carefully before they get firm in the theory that Dee is just using Dan.  Is it possible?  Certainly, but I think it would be unfortunate to not consider the regular theme that has cropped up.
Indeed. That said, using someone does not necessarily contradict loving them - after all, if you consider just how bad a danger she considers dragons to be, it's nothing but reasonable to risk his life to destroy them because if they are allowed to keep on, him ,and the cubi race are as good as dead. Sure, it's a wide leap of logic, but not one too hard to make from her situation.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Kuzma Volkov

Quote from: VAE on June 14, 2013, 12:43:08 PM
Indeed. That said, using someone does not necessarily contradict loving them.

We don't even need a comic example to prove that. It's what the wicked grandmother guilt trip is known for. >_>

Kibin

Dressari

Quote from: Mao on June 14, 2013, 09:17:09 AM

Really the theme is don't take what you see for granted, more than one time Amber's story telling has thrown us all for more than one loop. I wouldn't like to believe any character in DMFA is one-dimensional either that's what makes these characters so interesting because despite our best theories usually, we're wrong.

Despite what Zezzuva may believe or say, I wouldn't like to discount the fact Destania may have had some personality change in the fact of what we've learnt recently. After all she has been portrayed as someone who loves Edward a mere Being, and just as equally portrayed- well more we've been informed by other characters words that she just doesn't care about anything.

Hell just to play devils advocate. Dragons are just as devious and manipulative as the Cubi can be right? And I'm not even going to entertain this as a viable theory (Or even believe myself this is the case because I don't) but I'm just going to throw it out there:

What if Pyroduck is using his relationship with Alexsi just to get close to her in an effort to find out where Destania is? His father did offer the task of killing 500 Cubi to be accepted by him, whats to say we don't know he's going through with something like that, I mean imagine what he could get if he offered one of Cyra's children of all things to Hizell. I know of one of things that makes this theory impossible is Fa'Lina's relationship to him and his back story, but given Amber's storytelling abilities... whats to say he isn't putting on a show as well. I guess I'm just pointing out that it's easy to see one thing but we don't know the entire underlying problem just yet. (For the record I'm not debating this theory it's merely conjecture after all)

Quote from: TapewolfYeah, I don't see Zezzuva bribing warp-aci with candy or comics.  Being the detective clan, it's quite possible that what she's saying is that she knows Dee is with Biggs... but it is also possible that Destania is here to make arrangements for Abel's death (though why Fa'Lina would have let her in if that was the case I know not).

Possibly yeah, I'm not sure she would arrange them with Dan to do it without something incredibly convincing first. He's too much of a good person otherwiiiisssssseeeeeee... wait a second. Out of the blue idea, what if Dee is here to inform Dan of what happened at the Inn and is going to use Abel as her scapegoat to as someone said 'poison' things between them. It would be a perfect cover story, Abel's presence at the Inn is what attracted the trouble and that's how it would appear to Dan.

I only wonder if she really could be bothered to arrange much to kill him off now because of what she said in a prior comic http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1375.php This one in particular, she made an effort it failed and now she seems to just want to leave Abel to fate. But least she might try is making sure Dan and Abel are at odds.

Ganurath

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 14, 2013, 03:10:06 AM
Dimanika seems a bit too far gone to be able to pull something like that off, since she is (or projects the appearance of being) very goofy and deranged and holding her act together enough to impersonate Dee convincingly might a little out-of-character from what I've heard.  Also, I'm not sure anyone outside of Dan's family really knows what she was like towards Dan and you'd need that information to be able to do this properly.
Too far gone to pull it off? Certainly. However, because nobody knows about their familial interactions, she's the only one that far enough gone to try. Who better for improvisation than the Matron of Mayhem?
NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

Brunhidden

so, does the theory that many cubi are harsh and/or cruel for the sake of improving others through unpleasant life lessons hold water? she didnt have to do any of this

what does it benefit any of those present for this, unless theres ulterior motives. even then the motive may be for dan to be a better person after this research, in which case we would be led to think dan is important for some reason other then his name is int he title of the comic
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dressari on June 14, 2013, 09:20:16 PM
Despite what Zezzuva may believe or say, I wouldn't like to discount the fact Destania may have had some personality change in the fact of what we've learnt recently. After all she has been portrayed as someone who loves Edward a mere Being, and just as equally portrayed- well more we've been informed by other characters words that she just doesn't care about anything.

I'd like to think she does love Dan, and I've held on to the idea that she has mellowed for a long time ("But over time... things changed.  And so did Destania.").  But when she threw Alexsi under the bus, I figured that Abel was right, and that she is still just as callous and evil as they say.  (But whether she loves Dan is orthogonal to that)

EDIT: Also we have no idea whether she actually does love Edward, or whether he's a Being at all.  If he is a Being, it is entirely possible that her feelings for him are a charade.  If he's a Creature that might still be the case but I'd put more money on them being real.

QuoteWhat if Pyroduck is using his relationship with Alexsi just to get close to her in an effort to find out where Destania is?
Yeah, I know this is not serious, but I'm pretty sure he knew she was at Twink Territories, since he was there himself and also he managed to obtain one of her feathers.  Also he had ample opportunity to snatch Dan...

QuotePossibly yeah, I'm not sure she would arrange them with Dan to do it without something incredibly convincing first. He's too much of a good person otherwiiiisssssseeeeeee... wait a second. Out of the blue idea, what if Dee is here to inform Dan of what happened at the Inn and is going to use Abel as her scapegoat to as someone said 'poison' things between them. It would be a perfect cover story, Abel's presence at the Inn is what attracted the trouble and that's how it would appear to Dan.

If Alexsi is found dead, Dan will do it for her and I wouldn't like to take bets on him making a thorough investigation first.

QuoteI only wonder if she really could be bothered to arrange much to kill him off now because of what she said in a prior comic http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1375.php This one in particular, she made an effort it failed and now she seems to just want to leave Abel to fate. But least she might try is making sure Dan and Abel are at odds.

The impression I had was that she was going to somehow reveal his presence to Siar's old enemies so that they will do the dirty work.  Now, I had wondered if she was cracked enough to tip off his presence to the Dragons, but informing members of a 'Cubi clan who hates his guts could work too...

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 14, 2013, 04:18:43 AM
Yeah, I don't see Zezzuva bribing warp-aci with candy or comics.  Being the detective clan, it's quite possible that what she's saying is that she knows Dee is with Biggs... but it is also possible that Destania is here to make arrangements for Abel's death (though why Fa'Lina would have let her in if that was the case I know not).

If that really is her, whatever she's doing it's not likely to be to join the conference.  Not unless she's there to reveal her Dragon-smashing scheme to the other clans...

I'm wondering if Fa'Lina isn't already well aware of what Dee has in the works, and this is an orchestrated, semi-controlled encounter to let him see just how much she's changed. SAIA is neutral ground, so to speak, and this is the ultimate test.
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Prroul

I'd also like to point out that here, it's pretty much stated that there's only three places in the known world where Des would or could not go. Hizell's place, her old academy or her mother's place.

So yea... tack on the fact that CUBI ARE SHAPESHIFTERS, MORON... and you have someone testing him.

Now the *real* beauty here is going to be how fast he figures it out. I see one of two main secenarios...

a) "Really? This is Classic Gambit #429c: Impersonate a loved one so you can get close enough to shank the adventurer in his sleep. So you have ten seconds to tell me who you really are before I decapitate you and find out posthumously"

b) Something kind of like this, wherein they screw up the impersonation by asking him to do something his memory of Des would never approve of. Proceed unto beatdown immediately rather than give warning.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on June 15, 2013, 02:08:43 PM
I'd also like to point out that here, it's pretty much stated that there's only three places in the known world where Des would or could not go. Hizell's place, her old academy or her mother's place.

Oh, yes.  That dialogue was on the tip of my tongue, but somehow I never got around to double-checking the strip to see if SAIA was on the list.  Kudos for digging that up.

Quoteb) Something kind of like this, wherein they screw up the impersonation by asking him to do something his memory of Des would never approve of. Proceed unto beatdown immediately rather than give warning.

That would definitely be the Dimanika approach.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Prroul on June 15, 2013, 02:08:43 PM
Proceed unto beatdown immediately rather than give warning.

Unlikely. After all, he promised his mother he wouldn't fight any Cubi.

Also, if it's someone at SAIA, chances are it's someone who can whip his ass - case in point, take Brady; a Being at SAIA, who can whip any of the Cubi. Or Lisky (stop teabagging).
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Xan

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 15, 2013, 04:55:31 AM
EDIT: Also we have no idea whether she actually does love Edward, or whether he's a Being at all.  If he is a Being, it is entirely possible that her feelings for him are a charade.  If he's a Creature that might still be the case but I'd put more money on them being real.

I originality had nothing to add to this conversation, then I saw Tapewolf's Edit and I had a thought.
Could be Dee is doing some sort of charade and Edward is probably most likely a Being, but not a charade we think. Maybe Dee's ultimate goal was to Cubify the Ti'Fiona family adding strength and numbers to her clan. If true, it would add fuel to the fire why she would be so willingly to throw her stepdaughter under the bus, even if Alexsi can be cubified through Edward and any children she would had with Pyroduck will end up as dragons, not cubi.

mithril

keep in mind.. love had caused destania to change before. her relationship with Aniz apparently mellowed her out quite a bit. sure, it is described as taking a lot longer that time, but we aren't told how seriously Aniz and Destania approached the whole romance thing.. nor how much of that was Aniz wearing down Destania's resistance to the idea of romance, and showing her that she could enjoy those feelings.

so can believe that falling for Edward could cause her to change as well. odds are that Edward, being a being, put more effort into romance than a long lived cubi would, and presumably he managed to find and connect with the same parts of her that Aniz had before the Dragon-Cubi war ruined that relationship.

i won't say she wasn't planning some sort of ploy.. but i doubt her love of Edward, Dan, and Alexsi was fake. she certainly seems to be backsliding a bit in her current plots though. i think Edward had been a good influence on her and with him gone and her having to resort to increasingly underhanded tactics to set up his rescue, her Cubi heritage is coming a bit more to the fore.

(actually.. i could see her falling for Edward as being unplanned.. though it is possible afterwards she'd planned to have him turn into a Cubi via that one ritual, which would have helped rebuild her clan and given him a long enough life to stay with her. but he was abducted before she could do it..)