Let's play Ancient-PC!

Started by Rowne, September 01, 2006, 09:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vidar

Quote from: Aldoun on September 14, 2006, 03:14:41 AM
My favourite of the old pc games is Masters of Magic. Great gameplay and replayability and the animations didn't need improving for it to be great, sadly it only works in DOS. I've heard that it's possible too, with the right stuff, make it run in Windows, albeit only on W95. :mowsad

:batman Dosbox to the rescue! :batman

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Dosbox is a dos-emulator for windows, linux, beos, and MacOS X.
The mow no longer needs to be sad, for Masters of Magic is supported, along with many other ancient pc games. 
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Rowne

It's amusing that DosBox has been mentioned in this thread so many times already.  I've mentioned it more than once myself, a few times I believe.  DosBox seems to be the hero of every old gamer, a real champion of open source goodness.

I'm almost tempted to prod people towards their donation box ...but I won't.

Conversely, Alt+0133 is an interesting alternative to '...'.  Of course, fonts that don't have a full ASCII char-set will probably go a bit nuts trying to display it.

I did look around for Hocus Pocus just to note ...but I couldn't find it.

Also, I too loved Raptor but I loved Tyrian so much more.  I really miss that game and all its crazy, insane cheat-codes.  There were many and they were indeed varied and strange.  In fact, I miss a lot of old shareware games.  I actually wouldn't mind playing OneMustFall again.  <.<  Of course, that's easy now since I believe it was legally released as freeware.  Unless I've been smoking something.

Aridas

One Must Fall or One Must Fall 2097? >.>

On a related note, I hate how no matter how many upgrades you buy in OMF2097's tournament thingie, the next opponent over will be pretty much your equal, if not worse >.<

Rowne

2097.  I don't think the non-robot OMF was ever released.  And given the option of playing a fighting game with people or stompy robots, I pick the stompy robots.

Aridas

It was in several of those shareware game packs, so i'd say it was, technically... I think it was more of a test game than anything, though. Just a "We can do this" game.

Rowne

Yeah, that's what it pretty much was as I've read, I just figured it was for internal testing only though, rather than something they released for public opinion.  Live and learn.

The mechanics in it were okay too but it was just so blasé really, riding the wave of popularity from console 2D fighters.  Had they released it like that, it would've done well but in introducing the robot mechanics, I think they pretty much did something truly innovative with it instead.

I'd love to see a true update to it, in fact.  I remember that a few years back, it was being talked about and screenshots were even released.  Did that ever come to anything beyond the screenshots and demo?  I can't remember seeing it in any stores so I'm curious.

If it was released, was it any good?

Aldoun

Quote from: Vidar on September 14, 2006, 05:21:17 AM
Quote from: Aldoun on September 14, 2006, 03:14:41 AM
My favourite of the old pc games is Masters of Magic. Great gameplay and replayability and the animations didn't need improving for it to be great, sadly it only works in DOS. I've heard that it's possible too, with the right stuff, make it run in Windows, albeit only on W95. :mowsad

:batman Dosbox to the rescue! :batman

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Dosbox is a dos-emulator for windows, linux, beos, and MacOS X.
The mow no longer needs to be sad, for Masters of Magic is supported, along with many other ancient pc games. 
:mowhappy
Great, now I've just got to find the disk and manage to install the game. I can make neither heads nor tails out of the download I tracked down :mowdizzy

Kitsune Ascendant

a few of the older epic megagames classics have become freeware. most recently was tyrian 2000 (one of my favorite games ever). jazz jackrabbit and one must fall 2097 are also available for free now. I know the latter two can be found at www.the-underdogs.info, and I think the third one can as well. I do know for sure that tyrian can be found at tyrian2000.cjb.net, though.

awesome games, all of them.

also, major fans of one must fall 2097 should check out www.omfuniverse.tk, if only for the user-made tournaments and the tournament maker.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

Lomgren

Ancient PC, eh?  Let's see... some good games from way back when... (when I was growing up)

And a disclaimer... I grew up with a good old C64 and an Amiga.  Fun times.

First, can't forget the company Infocom.  Classic text games such as Zork, Enchanter, and a whole bunch of others.  Good stuff.

M.U.L.E. was also fun, up to 4 players, and you could play a game in an hour or 2.  Colonize the planet Irata and see who can become the wealthiest.

Choplifter and Wizard of Wor were fun arcade-style games.

Sinbad and the Throne of the Falcon... Defender of the Crown... also good.  By Cinemaware, as I recall.  Both for the Amiga.  Billing you as participating in an "interactive movie,"  one had you playing Sinbad, trying to restore the Caliph to normal and defeat the Black Prince.  The other had you trying to reclaim England as Ivanhoe.  If any of you have played any of the Lords of the Realm series, similar to an early precursor of that.

I also remember playing Marble Madness on the Amiga, but I don't think we had it for very long.

I'm sure there are several that I'm forgetting, but those are a few of the fun games I remember.