2013/03/25 [DMFA #1389] Bribery: It gets you everywhere

Started by VAE, March 24, 2013, 11:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAE

Quote from: Sunblink on March 25, 2013, 01:02:12 PM
oh my god.

Guys. Guys. I love Piflak so much. What an attitude.

She seems like the kind of person who'd laugh off anyone attacking her for her weight before outclassing them in some kind of musical instrument and in a dance competition and in everything else because she's just better than you.

And in wing-to-wing combat, I fully expect. Bear paws, and all that.

Quote from: Tuyu on March 25, 2013, 01:58:49 PM
Quote from: Nino on March 25, 2013, 04:16:38 AM
Quote from: Inumo on March 25, 2013, 03:10:07 AM
Quote from: Rafe on March 25, 2013, 02:43:13 AM
Piflak does have an interesting look.  With her clan symbol on her forehead like that, dark hair and her sari-like robes, she has a kind of Hindi/Asian-Subcontinent look.  Looks like someones doting, cheek-pinching Indian auntie.  I like her already.

That's not her clan symbol on her forehead, I don't think... Based on her clan leader page though, she is definitely going for an Indian style.

Maybe she was the original inspiration for a Hindu god! But yeah, not her clan symbol - not just the mark itself is wrong, but the  position as well. All leaders have their symbol on their chests (and can hide them).

I really love her robe. I love ponchos like that, and they're such an elegant solution to having six wings but looking covered enough to be professionally dressed.
I, for one, would like to express thanks that she isn't wearing the same outfit as in the clan leader page.

I think Dan would share my sentiment if he knew about it. :D

Hey, that outfit was cute. This one is too, though.
I third the mention that ponchos are awesome. *got one*
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Dard

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 25, 2013, 08:59:06 AM
Anyone else reminded of this strip?
No, but it strongly reminds me of this one!

BTW, contrary to Fa'Lina, Piflak shows off her third wing pair.

Jasae Bushae

im curious to discover if mink comes in with some formal wear XD

by the way, regarding quoar, his profile suggests he only sends envoys over to these thingies (like how dan is an envoy) so we probably wont actually him appear ^^;

personally the one i really want to see dan meet is kish'ta XD ....though she will probably appear when he least suspects it XD
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

KarlOmega1

Oh god...this Page gave me a bit of a chuckle. Love the look on Dan's face, it just says "Uh...what's happening?"
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on March 25, 2013, 04:59:32 PM
by the way, regarding quoar, his profile suggests he only sends envoys over to these thingies (like how dan is an envoy) so we probably wont actually him appear ^^;

It doesn't even say that, I think you'll find.  He sends an envoy to the Academy every thousand years, but we don't know if the envoy attends the conference.  The guy seems pretty isolated, so his representative might be sent to talk to Fa'Lina herself, and not the other clans at all.

In any case, the Quoar envoy shows up every thousand years, but the conferences take place every century.  So if we assume that his envoy does turn up for those, there's a 1-in-10 chance of the Quoar representative actually being there for this particular conference.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jasae Bushae

aaah...i have a real problem with mixing up dates XD i misremembered the conference thingy as being a thousand year thing and thus thought thy were related XD
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Lying Foo

I actually have a weird hunch that the series beginning with this "CLAN LEADER: PIFLAK" caption is building to a truly venerable surprise guest...
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Nino

She seems like the kind of person who'd laugh off anyone attacking her for her weight before outclassing them in some kind of musical instrument and in a dance competition and in everything else because she's just better than you.

I don't know what the point would be of making fun of a cubi for their weight anyway, since it's not like once they learn shapeshifting they couldn't just shift into anything they wanted... I get the feeling this might not even be a thing in DMFA general, since so far the only curvier characters are the ones who have species that would suggest having a natural body type like that anyway (cow, rhino, bear, elephant).

Being fat due to inactivity or serious disorders, if it is even possible in DMFA, may be a little more rare in DMFA than it is here, due to cultural differences. It's just a guess though.

I am guessing heavy characters might be a trend in Piflak's clan anyway, and if they're the ones setting the standards of talent and skill, it's probably not a look that's associated with the things it is here (letting yourself go, bad health, etc.).

VAE

Quote from: Nino on March 25, 2013, 11:26:37 PM

I don't know what the point would be of making fun of a cubi for their weight anyway, since it's not like once they learn shapeshifting they couldn't just shift into anything they wanted... I get the feeling this might not even be a thing in DMFA general, since so far the only curvier characters are the ones who have species that would suggest having a natural body type like that anyway (cow, rhino, bear, elephant).

Being fat due to inactivity or serious disorders, if it is even possible in DMFA, may be a little more rare in DMFA than it is here, due to cultural differences. It's just a guess though.

I am guessing heavy characters might be a trend in Piflak's clan anyway, and if they're the ones setting the standards of talent and skill, it's probably not a look that's associated with the things it is here (letting yourself go, bad health, etc.).

Asides from someone making fun of a clan leader being close to suicidal, you actually hit on an important point.
I'm very much guessing given their appearance is fluid,  the way Cubi think of someone's physical appearance is kinda like we think of someone's clothing - criticizing someone's appearance makes the equivalent of "look at those ugly rags on her" whereas compliments follow the "nice style, I'm gonna have to try myself"  line of thought.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

6Rquiann

I signed up for an account here purely so I could gush about how adorable Piflak is. Her face in that second panel is just the cutest thing I have ever seen.
(I'd gush about how much I love the comic itself, too, but I don't think this is the appropriate place, haha.)

And a thought, while I'm here-- we know someone's been killing cubi in the area(s) near Lost Lake, and I have to wonder if Piflak's black wings and the two clan leader's sombre clothing is because they're in mourning.

icarus

Quote from: 6Rquiann on March 26, 2013, 08:34:09 AM
I signed up for an account here purely so I could gush about how adorable Piflak is. Her face in that second panel is just the cutest thing I have ever seen.
(I'd gush about how much I love the comic itself, too, but I don't think this is the appropriate place, haha.)

And a thought, while I'm here-- we know someone's been killing cubi in the area(s) near Lost Lake, and I have to wonder if Piflak's black wings and the two clan leader's sombre clothing is because they're in mourning.

welcome to the forum

and you're probably on to something there! some have already suggested piflak's black wings are mourning over the death of her child. clan leader seme's wings turned black after the death of her lover, so it's definately possible in 'cubi.

it might be a concious affectation, though, since fa'lina's entire clan was slaughtered and her wings haven't turned black. so piflak might have changed them on purpose, and might someday change them back.

it would make sense that fa'lina is in black as a display of mourning and respect, since she just seems tactful that way.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Prroul

Quoar was the only one who didn't jump in with Fa'Lina's SAIA idea, but perhaps he will make an appearance for the meeting.

joshofspam

Some interesting things have been said about the wings stating Piflak's mood.

Though the clothes might not be much more then for the meetings sake. Their probably will be many different styles with a sense of conservatism to them.

Hmmmmmm...I'm actually wondering all the different styles they'll all wear and how it will match their personalities. Piflak and Fa'lina's match pretty well, all things consider.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Prroul

Also, remember this is a Clan Leader... or at least her representative. She's probably playing 'cute and MIL... er I mean motherly' to try and butter him up for a pitch. This is politics, after all.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prroul on March 26, 2013, 02:12:00 PM
Also, remember this is a Clan Leader... or at least her representative. She's probably playing 'cute and MIL... er I mean motherly' to try and butter him up for a pitch. This is politics, after all.

It's either her in person or an avatar projection - the representatives are just normal guys like Dan or Mink who are present on behalf of their Leader.  I'm kind of curious how Jin communicates with Mink, thinking about it - or whether she just lets him say whatever (given the Clan Leader series, that might not be sensible).

ChaosMageX

I've had one idea about Piflak, and it's probably crazy but I'll voice it anyway just for the sake of speculation: What if Piflak is trying to convince Cyra to follow her clan model and limit Dan/Destania to procreating only 5-6 more children in total to more efficiently harness Cyra's power?
When you think about it, as devastating as it is to lose most of one's clan, it's also one of the most ideal opportunities to completely overhaul the clan's system for operating and functioning and procreating.

Icon by Sunblink

6Rquiann

Quote from: icarus on March 26, 2013, 10:29:46 AM
Quote from: 6Rquiann on March 26, 2013, 08:34:09 AM

welcome to the forum

and you're probably on to something there! some have already suggested piflak's black wings are mourning over the death of her child. clan leader seme's wings turned black after the death of her lover, so it's definately possible in 'cubi.

it might be a concious affectation, though, since fa'lina's entire clan was slaughtered and her wings haven't turned black. so piflak might have changed them on purpose, and might someday change them back.

it would make sense that fa'lina is in black as a display of mourning and respect, since she just seems tactful that way.

I had thought that Talliopa's murder was connected to the other cubi murders at first, but I could be drawing connections where there aren't any, haha. It definitely explains Piflak's more reserved clothing style (in comparison to the outfit we've seen in Mink's clan leader report).

Tuyu

Quote from: ChaosMageX on March 26, 2013, 02:45:34 PM
I've had one idea about Piflak, and it's probably crazy but I'll voice it anyway just for the sake of speculation: What if Piflak is trying to convince Cyra to follow her clan model and limit Dan/Destania to procreating only 5-6 more children in total to more efficiently harness Cyra's power?
I've been wondering if it could just be that she heard at the last minute that other clans wanted to get hold of Dan before the meeting, and being competitive, she swooped in first. More or less on a whim.

Dan could be of use to her--adventurer, comes from near Zinvth, expected to return there in about three weeks--but given the competitive nature of her clan, would she need him for that? Seems like approaching Dan to do some investigating or something would create the impression she has need.

Kazzellin

*delurks* Hah! Piflak! Though definitely not what I was expecting her to be like given her clan leader page. :mowdizzy

Quote from: Nino on March 25, 2013, 02:00:06 AM
If you were in her clan and had a kid without getting permission, if it was with another Cubi, could you transfer the kid to your spouse's clan and avoid death? ... The fact that she kills you if she senses the kid when it comes of age makes me think this may be true too... if it were in another clan by that point, she might not sense it.

I must have missed something somewhere; when is this ever mentioned? O_o I know it isn't in comic...?
"The internet is full of people who can type faster than they can think." - Jeff Murdock

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kazzellin on March 26, 2013, 08:45:01 PM
I must have missed something somewhere; when is this ever mentioned? O_o I know it isn't in comic...?

It's in the Piflak letter:
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1599/piflakletter300a.png
...so far she hasn't actually had to enforce it, because her clan are smart enough not to cross her.

Emerauld Drathmir

I can only imagine the grand circus if Daryil shows up.  His shiny new third wing set, and spotting Dan.  Lollipops all around!
Yoho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...Darn it Bean, no Looting until after dinner!
--Home of Angst Technology/Weak-end Warriors/Sorry We're Open, and InkTank-now back from hiatus.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Emerauld Drathmir on March 27, 2013, 11:17:21 AM
I can only imagine the grand circus if Daryil shows up.  His shiny new third wing set, and spotting Dan.  Lollipops all around!

It's a couple of centuries too early for that to happen...

Ignuus66

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 27, 2013, 11:40:28 AM
Quote from: Emerauld Drathmir on March 27, 2013, 11:17:21 AM

It's a couple of centuries too early for that to happen...
Has amber even mentioned Daryil in the official comic? I know jacob has made many a cameo and the 2 come from the same story, but I don't think Daryil himself has been mention yet, though I am probably incorrect.

(credit: Gabi)

Tapewolf

Shadowdancer

Quote from: Mermidion on March 25, 2013, 10:00:21 AM
Cheerio!

I really really hope he meets Quoar. or at least that he made an appearance. i just read through all the Clan leader pages...and he is the only male one? Seriously? don't get me wrong ,i am not sexist or something its just that i hope that Dan becomes a Clan Leader one day. just to make it a little bit more balanced...

Given what we know about Quoar, he won't even know Daniel exists unless he has a SAIA contact or is running an intelligence op.
Even if he is, he probably won't be interested in Dan - he's just another clan leader, a noob at that.  :mowsad

That said, he is the last hope of the clan often blamed for starting the wars, and he may have connections to Destania.

Given his relation to SAIA though, if he shows interest, he is likely to visit or send an envoy when Dan gets back from SAIA. By the sounds of it, Dan may not even know who he's talking to.  :mowninja

I like your post, I would like to see Quoar, but then, we always want what we can't have. My luck he'll be a jerk!
The most powerful magic is just a distraction.