14/12/12 [DMFA #1361] - The Blanket of Solitude

Started by Infranscia, December 14, 2012, 02:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infranscia

Eeyup, I think I can see why Pyroduck would want to hide.

Hmm...  It sounds like the Oracles sort of see and reach across the space/time fabric of Furrae.  Interesting.

Anyone else wonder if 'the stars' has anything to do with the Fae realm?  I mean, between the Fae Realm looking like Night when Mab enters it and that race definitely having the power to do something like that...
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Tapewolf

Maybe it's more than a dragon.  Maybe it's an actual deity of some kind.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Starcat5

My Internet Cookies(tm) are on Dee hiding his presence. It's kind of her thing, after all. Of course, if a second faction knows about said concealment, whacky hijinks would be the least of our worries.  :<
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Tapewolf

Quote from: Starcat5 on December 14, 2012, 05:51:34 AM
My Internet Cookies(tm) are on Dee hiding his presence. It's kind of her thing, after all. Of course, if a second faction knows about said concealment, whacky hijinks would be the least of our worries.  :<

She has the motive, but I'm not sure she's got that level of power.

EDIT: Hmm...
She did get Cyra to hide Aniz from the Dragons, but that might not be the same thing.

ArchTeryx

It's not ever day when a phoenix oracle tells you that what you're dealing with is a Cosmic Horror, bluntly and pretty much right up front.  No wonder Pyroduck wanted to hide under a blanket.

I mean, this is a world pretty loaded with extremely powerful, even cosmic beings - the dragons, the 'cubi Clan Leders, the Fae, the Phoenix Oracles themselves - their power is specialized around, to ape the Thundercats, Sight Beyond Sight - but it's cosmic-level.  (I suspect the reasons they give out everything in riddles are a) some times what they see can't be interpreted in a straightforward way, since it's more or less lookig into the multiverse, and b) it discourages people from constantly bothering them with trivial questions).

Something that could block an elder Phoenix Oracle probably could use Pyroduck as chewing gum.  1 of 9 had it right: sometimes fear is the appropriate response.

MT Hazard

Is it just me or does that phone look like a walkie talkie?

*kksssck* "Firebird to brown dragon, come in brown dragon" *kksssck*
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on December 14, 2012, 07:33:28 AM
Is it just me or does that phone look like a walkie talkie?

*kksssck* "Firebird to brown dragon, come in brown dragon" *kksssck*

Yes.  But given that technology is sensitive to magic, the sort of fragile, ultra-high-density semiconductors we use here would shrivel and die the moment something like Pyroduck entered the building, so smartphones might be pushing it a bit.  For that matter, it's possible that long-lived Creatures would hold onto things like that for longer than a Being would.

MT Hazard

Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Wanderer

Quote from: Starcat5 on December 14, 2012, 05:51:34 AM
My Internet Cookies(tm) are on Dee hiding his presence. It's kind of her thing, after all. Of course, if a second faction knows about said concealment, whacky hijinks would be the least of our worries.  :<

I think it would take more than Dee. The kind of power Da is talking about sounds more like Fae-level power. I'm not saying it is a Fae, but they're the "gods" of this multiverse as far as power goes. To accomplish what she's talking about I'd say something would have to be either very powerful or very different to the point that it's powers are completely unrecognizable.

Or maybe Merlitz just ended up traveling into a world filled with humans: for all we know that would cause a similar effect. He's not in the same universe any more, oracles can't see him, things go weird.

Now, what Da needs to answer is why the oracle (or possibly fake-oracle) told the group that a cubi from Lost Lake had killed him. Forget about Merlitz, she needs to look into this other oracle and see what she can see.

KiloFoxx

why am i getting the sneaking suspicion that Cthulhu will be making an appearance?

Yarott

I wonder how Jyrras' safety blanket looks like. I mean, is Science has proven their worth, Jyrras must have the best in the Universe! Or something. Maybe he gave it constant upgrades since his childhood. It is a veeeeery scary place out there in Furrae.

Alondro

The stars... *GASP!!!*  "The stars shall aid in her escape."  !!!

IT'S NIGHTMARE MOON!!!  RUUUUUUUN!!

:giggle
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Wanderer on December 14, 2012, 10:44:12 AM
The kind of power Da is talking about sounds more like Fae-level power. I'm not saying it is a Fae, but they're the "gods" of this multiverse as far as power goes. To accomplish what she's talking about I'd say something would have to be either very powerful or very different to the point that it's powers are completely unrecognizable.

It sounds like this has only ever happened a few times.  Now, it might be Fae, it might be Dragons, going to extreme lengths to cover up what they're doing.  But it makes me think that it may be something else entirely, otherwise you would probably have a lot more "Sorry, the dragons are obstructing it"  "Sorry, the Fae are obstructing it" answers.

joshofspam

Hmmmmm...While I want to blame Pip, I wonder if the tri-wing cubi might be response for this blind spot?

But then thinking about it, wouldn't dragons most likely have tried asking the Phoenix's where tri-wings are located and would the Phoenix's divulge such information if asked by a dragon?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

YawnPB

To play the devils advocate....  It might even be something entirely new not mentioned in the demo pages.  The Pheonix sages know the names of all those players and they know nothing about these guys.  Something that can hide from, and scares the pheonix's (who aren't scared of death) can't be something ya wanna poke around for.
Lurkus Wallflowerus

ArchTeryx

Quote from: KiloFoxx on December 14, 2012, 11:23:31 AM
why am i getting the sneaking suspicion that Cthulhu will be making an appearance?

Nyarlathotep already has.

Ganurath

Nothing invokes that feeling of dread quite like a dragon having a panic attack.
NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

Wanderer

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 14, 2012, 03:20:07 PM
The kind of power Da is talking about sounds more like Fae-level power. I'm not saying it is a Fae, but they're the "gods" of this multiverse as far as power goes. To accomplish what she's talking about I'd say something would have to be either very powerful or very different to the point that it's powers are completely unrecognizable.

It sounds like this has only ever happened a few times.  Now, it might be Fae, it might be Dragons, going to extreme lengths to cover up what they're doing.  But it makes me think that it may be something else entirely, otherwise you would probably have a lot more "Sorry, the dragons are obstructing it"  "Sorry, the Fae are obstructing it" answers.

Well, the Fae might never have done it before. *shrugs* Right now they're the only things I'm certain could do something like this. I'm not certain they are doing it, but I'm certain they could.

TacticalError

Hang on, if someone was blocking it, wouldn't they also have to block the fact that they're blocking the first thing? And block that and that and that...

Tapewolf

Quote from: TacticalError on December 15, 2012, 05:30:40 AM
Hang on, if someone was blocking it, wouldn't they also have to block the fact that they're blocking the first thing? And block that and that and that...

It may be that they did and this is an incidental side-effect of whatever they were really blocking.  The dodgy oracle is a good sign that it is probably malicious, but it's just possible that they were put there to cover up the fact that a real oracle can't give them an answer.

KiloFoxx

Quote from: ArchTeryx on December 14, 2012, 08:47:00 PM

i actually had to look that one up. i never read most of those (i did read Rats in the Walls) and didn't recognize the name. (i have read Call of Cthulhu and various other Lovecraft works) if PIP of all things is an Elder God, then we should be afraid. very very afraid.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I think it would take more than Dee. The kind of power Da is talking about

See, now I can't help but go "Dee... Da... Dee... Da... Deedadeedadeedadeeda..." >.<
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

icarus

Quote from: KiloFoxx on December 15, 2012, 10:29:55 AM
Quote from: ArchTeryx on December 14, 2012, 08:47:00 PM

i actually had to look that one up. i never read most of those (i did read Rats in the Walls) and didn't recognize the name. (i have read Call of Cthulhu and various other Lovecraft works) if PIP of all things is an Elder God, then we should be afraid. very very afraid.

this actually is kind of interesting. pip sometimes speaks with black bubbles, and sometimes with white. he also seems less malicious when it's white bubbles. i wonder if that's just a design change choice or some sort of intentional hint at something.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that