02/11/12 [DMFA #1350] - The facts of life and death

Started by Tapewolf, November 02, 2012, 07:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Interesting.  I am wondering now, what happens to the gem if the soul has been removed from the body and rehoused?

And also whether Mink was using 'mega-killed' in the same context as the QFR part of this page.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ignuus66

OH dear, it seems like merlitz is both dead AND alive untill someone sees him, (if the wave form is real) And if he is dead then there is a split universe where he is alive, and vise-versa! You heard it first!

(credit: Gabi)

Tapewolf

I'm kind of wondering where this is leading.  Because Nitemyst has two basic axioms here:
1. Merlitz is dead
2. Merlitz was killed by a 'Cubi from Lost Lake

Now that appears so far to be either wrong or stretching the truth immensely (e.g. unintentional death).  I wonder how much of it he's going to have to rethink if he takes Wildy's word that Abel isn't responsible, and how Wildy is going to avoid the quagmire that would be revealing Dan's presence.

Of course, I suppose the obvious way out is "Maybe it was some 'Cubi who left Lost Lake before I was born"...

Sprocketsdance

Oh Fluffly... you bring so much joy with the pain you cause ^_^.

Jasae Bushae

schrodingeers merlitz~
say, on that note, what would it show if he was a zombie? I mean, their technically dead and all and weve seen em lurching about the comic. (Plus there seemed to be a growing plot point surrounding them)

Somehow im sure this comic will lead to loads more alive or dead discussion XD
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Jasonrevall

It's good to see Merlitz again even if its outside the story haha.

I'm thinking that Mega-killed actually may be the semi-technical term for ease of saying someone was killed along with their soul being destroyed. It would be helpful for the readers I think or at least referencing things more easily.

Also what about the possibility that they weren't actually talking to an oracle? What if it was a shapeshifter who was misleading them?
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Sofox

Quote from: Sprocket on November 02, 2012, 09:55:30 AM
Oh Fluffly... you bring so much joy with the pain you cause ^_^.

Joy through pain? ... are you suggesting something kinky?

Jasae Bushae

Quote from: Jasonrevall on November 02, 2012, 10:56:32 AM

Also what about the possibility that they weren't actually talking to an oracle? What if it was a shapeshifter who was misleading them?

Im a little fuzzy on where I heard it but someone mentioned that since the oracles head was on fire that while a shapeshifter could take the shape, they couldn't manage the eternal combustion part of the look.
(Plus the team asked the first oracle they saw who happened to be sitting around eating lunch when they forced an answer out of her, which makes the whole imposter faking oracleness much more unlikely.)

Personally I believe everyone is telling the truth as they understand it. Though im kinda surprised nobody has presented the theory that maybe Nitemyste and company were lying or shapeshifters. Instead focusing on the oracle. XD
Annnyway~ we should be finding out some answers after the four hour phone call :3

Alondro

*Merlitz gem suddenly asplodes into dust!  Somebody completely OBLITERATED his soul!!*

*Charline burps*  Wonder who that could be... >:9
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Gabi

What can I say? Even if it was out of continuity and it may be the last time, it was good to see Merlitz again. :3

(I've been missing him ever since he left Lost Lake).
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Ted Schiller

If I may point out, Godzilla stomping around has been a successful franchise.

With regards,
Ted

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 02, 2012, 07:41:37 AM
Interesting.  I am wondering now, what happens to the gem if the soul has been removed from the body and rehoused?

My guess would be that since the connection was severed, it would go dull until the person in question re-touches the gem.  Similar things have happened with undead in that simply being in proximity or touching their gem was enough to cause it to go "oh hey! I remember your soul! *glow*"

Viking ZX

Another possible theory since so many of what seem like throwaway jokes come back as actual cannon: Merlintz is indeed in another dimension...he's beyond the fourth wall! Outside of the comic, facing the knowledge that his universe is entertainment for viewers and narrated by a fluffy....fluffamuffin floofy fluff thing. If he ever returns, his knowledge could prove catastrophic!
I'm an author! Check out my site!

Shakal

My bet is the 'Cubi from Lost Lake' was Destania, somehow her current machinations caused Merlitz's death, or whatever caused his stone to go dull.

Sprocketsdance

Ignuus66

If the wave function is real and not just a mathematical formula, then if merlitz is OBSEREVED to be dead, then in a split universe is formed where he is alive. If, however the wave function is purely mathematical then he is infact either dead or alive, and then that is set even before he is observed. Thus since the Fae can go into different universes, if mab is too saddened by merlitz being dead, she can always go to the split universe where he is alive! Oh the joys of mathematics.

Lying Foo

Despite his appearance in this strip, I'm calling him dead so long as the oracles haven't been compromised.  There are a lot of ways to spin "Cubi from Lost Lake killed him," but none that leave him alive.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Jasae Bushae

Hmm...So being an undead would count as being dead and the gem WOULD respond as such..

joshofspam

Quote from: Lying Foo on November 02, 2012, 07:35:59 PM
Despite his appearance in this strip, I'm calling him dead so long as the oracles haven't been compromised.  There are a lot of ways to spin "Cubi from Lost Lake killed him," but none that leave him alive.

Or there's always the legally dead for a few minutes and being resuscitated.

Didn't Dan almost go that way when he almost died after killing DP?

Also, let's face it, just because you died, doesn't mean you can't come back within reason of the situation in how you died. Of coarse dying and being resuscitated like that makes the possibility of being in the presence of something powerful more likely.

Certainly are a lot of puzzles to this turn of events. Fluffy isn't kidding when stating it's way more complicated then that.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Eboreg

I'm imagining a scenario where Merlitz tried to "roll initiative" on Destania without realizing who she was and then subsequently having his a** handed to him.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: Ignuus66 on November 02, 2012, 07:02:07 PM
If the wave function is real and not just a mathematical formula, then if merlitz is OBSEREVED to be dead, then in a split universe is formed where he is alive. If, however the wave function is purely mathematical then he is infact either dead or alive, and then that is set even before he is observed. Thus since the Fae can go into different universes, if mab is too saddened by merlitz being dead, she can always go to the split universe where he is alive! Oh the joys of mathematics.

Why after reading this, do I feel like I've seen "Looper" again..... :sweatdrop

YawnPB

I'm alittle reminded of the recent season finale for Dr. Who. 
Lurkus Wallflowerus

TacticalError

Eboreg

OK. I am not ashamed to admit that I bust out laughing when Fluffy yelled, "Back in the box Schrodinger!"
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Treesong

Frankenstein:Frankenstein's monster::Schrödinger:Schrödinger's cat?

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on November 02, 2012, 10:11:06 AMschrodingeers merlitz~
say, on that note, what would it show if he was a zombie? I mean, their technically dead and all and weve seen em lurching about the comic.
The stone is attuned to their soul, so unless becoming undead detunes their soul, it would possibly show "alive".
Quote from: Amber Williams on November 02, 2012, 03:29:38 PMMy guess would be that since the connection was severed, it would go dull until the person in question re-touches the gem.  Similar things have happened with undead in that simply being in proximity or touching their gem was enough to cause it to go "oh hey! I remember your soul! *glow*"
That works too.
...Guessing? You?

Quote from: Jasonrevall on November 02, 2012, 10:56:32 AMAlso what about the possibility that they weren't actually talking to an oracle? What if it was a shapeshifter who was misleading them?
or an annoyed oracle lying to get rid of them so she could get back to her lunch.

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on November 02, 2012, 12:57:39 PM...since the oracles head was on fire that while a shapeshifter could take the shape, they couldn't manage the eternal combustion part of the look.
Ever hear of illusions?

"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Gabi

Quote from: Treesong on November 03, 2012, 05:03:43 PM
Frankenstein:Frankenstein's monster::Schrödinger:Schrödinger's cat?
There was a cat named Schrödinger in Stargate.

Anyway, if Schrödinger had a cat, what would the cat's last name be?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Mischa

I'm suddenly reminded of Strip #833 here, where Mab specifically mourns having her linear friends die on her, and presumably how just finding new versions of them doesn't make up for it...

Tapewolf

I wonder what you'd do if you were a Creature adventurer pretending to be a Being?  The typical approach seems to be to fake your death and move on before people start to wonder (e.g. Mink's mother prior to her murder).  But the stone would still be happily glowing...

Ignuus66

Quote from: Mischa on November 05, 2012, 03:27:39 PM

I'm suddenly reminded of Strip #833 here, where Mab specifically mourns having her linear friends die on her, and presumably how just finding new versions of them doesn't make up for it...
Come to think of it, it would make sense, they try to keep themselves in one universe and not go to another one if something they dont like happens. Still, if the Fae are unique to one dimension, then Furrae would be very much different from alternates due to no fae in the alternates...