07/09/12 [DMFA #1334] - Jyrras is an engineer.

Started by joshofspam, September 07, 2012, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiloFoxx

Quote from: Kayriel on September 09, 2012, 10:45:07 PM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on September 07, 2012, 10:54:28 AM
Quote from: Black_angel on September 07, 2012, 09:26:12 AMPoint being Jyrras just got his Rock Lee moment.

Who? Never heard of him.

Hehe, I think much of the speculation was that Jyrras would pull out some impressively large gun, not a little pistol. Despite their anger, how healthy is their respect for this pea shooter?
Hehe, Wildy's annoyed.

Of course Wildy's annoyed.

A: Jyrras just broke in on her action.
B: Considering the possibility that she and Biggs are Wereferrets due to it seeming that his silhouette (and neck-bling) are on the Council of Creatures, she'd know it's problematic for Jyrras' dangerous technology to be displayed before the world's ready for it.

i can't go off and double-check this, but if memory serves, Amber mentioned in the Species directory that Weres are NOT on the council.
so if that IS Biggs there, then he CAN'T be representing weres.

just pointin' that out

justacritic

Quote from: KiloFoxx on September 10, 2012, 04:17:11 PM
Quote from: Kayriel on September 09, 2012, 10:45:07 PM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on September 07, 2012, 10:54:28 AM
Quote from: Black_angel on September 07, 2012, 09:26:12 AMPoint being Jyrras just got his Rock Lee moment.

Who? Never heard of him.

Hehe, I think much of the speculation was that Jyrras would pull out some impressively large gun, not a little pistol. Despite their anger, how healthy is their respect for this pea shooter?
Hehe, Wildy's annoyed.

Of course Wildy's annoyed.

A: Jyrras just broke in on her action.
B: Considering the possibility that she and Biggs are Wereferrets due to it seeming that his silhouette (and neck-bling) are on the Council of Creatures, she'd know it's problematic for Jyrras' dangerous technology to be displayed before the world's ready for it.

i can't go off and double-check this, but if memory serves, Amber mentioned in the Species directory that Weres are NOT on the council.

just pointin' that out
Their father perhaps?

Tapewolf

There aren't any Weres on the Being-Creature council, i.e. the interracial justice board.
The shadowy, conspiratorial Creature Council is a different kettle of fish altogether...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lying Foo

Yeah, the species pages seem to be written from a Muggle's perspective (e.g., the existence of tri-wings is questioned), so that's probably not the council they're referring to there, even if that is a Being - but he/she definitely looks human.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: justacritic on September 10, 2012, 04:27:36 PM

just pointin' that out
Their father perhaps?

I believe the point (later invalidated, perhaps, by Tapewolf) was that there couldn't be _any_ Were on the Council. Therefore, if it _was_ Biggs, he couldn't be the representative of Weres. On the other hand, it could be that he's representing some other species.

Of course, as Tapewolf pointed out, there's two councils referred to as "The Council", for maximum confusion and chaos. >.<
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

ANTIcarrot

Quote from: Eboreg on September 08, 2012, 09:20:45 PM
@ANTIcarrot: With flintlock weapons, the amount of loaded ammunition is directly proportional to the amount of barrels. Jyrras will get the point across if he fires another shot.
That would only be true if it looked anything like a flintlock pistol, which it doesn't. Hence they will fall back on general rules for generic projectile weapons. And we have the QUOTE button for a reason.

<carefully leans closer to the spinning coffin>
"What's that Mr Mendel? Kill chakat Goldfur? Shi's making a mockery of all your theories?"

Ignuus66

I wonder why Jyrras goes on silence rather than sound and shock, as the projectile is traveling at sub-sound speeds, and was shot silently. (thus reducing the effectiveness and the feeling of the weapon's power.)

While Silenced weapons are good if the enemy knows whats coming, but powerful and flashy would be better at shock and awe, which I would believe would be a more effective weapon than the gun alone.

(credit: Gabi)

Eboreg

Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 11, 2012, 10:22:47 AM
I wonder why Jyrras goes on silence rather than sound and shock, as the projectile is traveling at sub-sound speeds, and was shot silently. (thus reducing the effectiveness and the feeling of the weapon's power.)

While Silenced weapons are good if the enemy knows whats coming, but powerful and flashy would be better at shock and awe, which I would believe would be a more effective weapon than the gun alone.

Because unsilenced would hurt local eardrums like a mother-fudging sledgehammer?
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Eboreg on September 11, 2012, 07:09:09 PM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on September 11, 2012, 10:22:47 AM

Because unsilenced would hurt local eardrums like a mother-fudging sledgehammer?
Which is actually why it would be better to show raw power. (of course you would need ear plugs)

(credit: Gabi)

Atharyn

What in Jy's personality says he's going to go with "shock and awe" as a first response to anything?  His responses tend to be overkill (giant Griffon mech, anyone?) but not shock and awe.

Also note that Jy's gun is new.  My understanding of the world is that big, loud, powerful guns exist - but are single shot and not that reliable.  Something small and quiet that does damage is something new.  If he fires another warning shot rapidly it will be very new.

Adventurers and longer-lived Creatures probably have a very risk-averse reaction to anything new.  New is bad - new might be something what can kill them - they need to figure out what new is!  (If you have seen something before you probably know a counter technique / workaround / way to avoid death.  Something new on the other hand...) Thus, a more delayed but more intimidating shock and awe.