17/08/12 [DMFA #1331] - I'd bank his life on it.

Started by MT Hazard, August 17, 2012, 07:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hazard

Abel starts to see the problem with not making friends, you never know when you going to be hunted by adventurers for being the wrong species in the wrong place. At least the potential murdering has stopped, at least until Fae and dragon return.

Its probably just as well that the B.O.B ran against Abel first, another cubi might just rip them apart for the insult.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Well, there's still Gen.  She's not party to any of this, so what happens when she returns is anyone's guess.  She might come back with a lynch mob or something, and start the fighting up all over again.

However, it's good to see Nite actually do something sensible for a change and try to make sure that they've got the right person first.  Because their previous approach was not helping their own reputation.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lying Foo

Obviously she's not going to sell out Dan any more than Abel would, but I find it interesting she's not willing to send them Dee's way.  I suspect she just wants to get back to the fighting. 8)
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Sofox

It's funny, you never know which friendships are going to turn out to be the most valuable; Abel and Wildy never really got to know eachother very well.

justacritic

I wonder what is Wildy's reputation is, and how valuable is it to her

TacticalError

Quote from: justacritic on August 17, 2012, 09:21:20 AM

A reputation of ferret pain. Very valuable for getting others to do what you want.

Tapewolf

A sensible response might be to point out that if Abel was into murder, he'd have killed them when they attacked his boss.

justacritic

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 17, 2012, 09:38:01 AM
A sensible response might be to point out that if Abel was into murder, he'd have killed them when they attacked his boss.
Is Wildy ever sensible, sensitive at times maybe..

Tapewolf

Quote from: justacritic on August 17, 2012, 09:56:57 AM
Is Wildy ever sensible, sensitive at times maybe..

Abel could point that out himself, if he so chooses.

joshofspam

I wonder if banking her reputation might have other repercussions other then just the loss of it?

She certainly doesn't want to put it up there for Abel. Then again, Wildy is a very proud woman from what I've seen of her. Also Abel and Wildy don't really seem like friends and are more of acquaintances by friends.

So what does losing her reputation cause? Loss of her adventuring license? Being hunted down by BOB? Maybe having her picture being put in the dictionary next to the words of stupid, gullible and liar?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

nichdel

Quote from: joshofspam on August 17, 2012, 11:07:50 AM
So what does losing her reputation cause? Loss of her adventuring license? Being hunted down by BOB? Maybe having her picture being put in the dictionary next to the words of stupid, gullible and liar?

(Lurker Here)

Just like any profession, your reputation affects the jobs you can get, I'd assume. Permanent damage to one's adventuring reputation may severely limit who would be willing to hire them. Not to mention plenty of ridicule from other adventurers.

From a professional POV, it's reckless to bank your reputation on unknown factors. So while Wildy might trust him personally, she might not want to stake her entire career on someone she barely knows.

Surzsha

Hell, I'd instantly be more worried about my reputation than my own family, if I were in Wildy's situation! But she's a smart ferret, I'm sure she'll work around that.

e_voyager

Quote from: Sofox on August 17, 2012, 09:04:32 AM
It's funny, you never know which friendships are going to turn out to be the most valuable; Abel and Wildy never really got to know eachother very well.

i think they know each other well enough but don't really like each other all that much.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Nino

Quote from: TacticalError on August 17, 2012, 09:36:11 AM
Quote from: justacritic on August 17, 2012, 09:21:20 AM

A reputation of ferret pain. Very valuable for getting others to do what you want.

haha. That's a good one.

Man, too bad they're asking the one Lost Lake member who Abel literally started out his relationship with by a personal insult. Then again, I don't see Wildy as holding a grudge for that, or at least to the point where she's willing to let the B.O.B. kill him without standing up for him a little (haha, not as much as he'd hope for though).

I think the problem is with Abel and Wildy is that, from what I can tell at least, Abel still doesn't understand her very well. One of his first impressions of her was the book incident, and so after that I think her personality has come off more to him as pointlessly abrasive or tactless (as opposed to selectively abrasive/tactless, like figuring out his orientation because Jyrras was crushing on him and not just "need to find random gay dude for Jyrras hookup").

My point being, Wildy clearly has a deeper side to her that Abel doesn't really understand. Maybe after this incident it'll come out a little more to him, depending on what she says next. Man, this is one of those updates that makes me really want to see the next one, and this one isn't even finished yet! This chapter is super engaging.

mithril

Quote from: Lying Foo on August 17, 2012, 08:18:32 AM
Obviously she's not going to sell out Dan any more than Abel would, but I find it interesting she's not willing to send them Dee's way.  I suspect she just wants to get back to the fighting. 8)
since Edward Ti'Fiona was just a being, if Wildy sells out Destania as a cubi, Dan's secret would be out too. since Cubi genetics dominate.

Wildy could redirect them after Aaryanna fairly easily, i think. not only did Aaryanna live at Lost Lake long enough to count, but Abel ought to be able to find Merlitz's note. Which would let them know, at the very least, that Merlitz had left the Lost lake area well before word of his death reached the B.O.B.

Tapewolf

Quote from: mithril on August 17, 2012, 01:48:57 PM
Wildy could redirect them after Aaryanna fairly easily, i think. not only did Aaryanna live at Lost Lake long enough to count, but Abel ought to be able to find Merlitz's note. Which would let them know, at the very least, that Merlitz had left the Lost lake area well before word of his death reached the B.O.B.

If dated, that would open up the can of worms that they saw Merlitz at the inn after his disappearance.  If they find out Abel was impersonating him, that's not going to look at all good in terms of 'I didn't kill him'.

Lying Foo

since Edward Ti'Fiona was just a being, if Wildy sells out Destania as a cubi, Dan's secret would be out too. since Cubi genetics dominate.

So?  She doesn't even need to tell them that Destania has a son, let alone that her son is Dan.

More seriously, though, it's probably because she grew up knowing Destania, and doesn't want to sell her out either, if she even knows how likely she is to be the culprit.  I doubt she thinks it's Aary, though, because it's too much a stretch to say Aary is "from Lost Lake."
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Ignuus66

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 17, 2012, 02:37:28 PM

If dated, that would open up the can of worms that they saw Merlitz at the inn after his disappearance.  If they find out Abel was impersonating him, that's not going to look at all good in terms of 'I didn't kill him'.
It's a double edged blade, but would works as a last resort. But if merlitz did not put the date on his note, then abel can lie about when merl left.

(credit: Gabi)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lying Foo on August 17, 2012, 02:44:39 PM
So?  She doesn't even need to tell them that Destania has a son, let alone that her son is Dan.

That might not help.  The impression I get is that if the Dragons got a whiff that Destania may have been at Lost Lake at any point in the last 20 years, they'd interrogate and kill everyone in the surrounding area just to get some idea of where she might have gone since.  Fa'Lina has strongly hinted at such in pages 1329 and 1330.
That's probably why Abel has said he's the only one - because mentioning any other 'Cubi at all could potentially implicate Destania or Dan.  Aary being one of Destania's favourites, after all.

KiloFoxx

this "is Abel a murderer" could all be solved by pointing out his blood-phobia... though i don't think Wildy knows about that. Jy might i think. and even if he didn't, he's pretty well-known and all, i'm sure his word carries at least SOME weight, and i'm sure he'd put in a good word for Abel.

MT Hazard

Quote from: KiloFoxx on August 17, 2012, 08:57:15 PM
this "is Abel a murderer" could all be solved by pointing out his blood-phobia... though i don't think Wildy knows about that. Jy might i think. and even if he didn't, he's pretty well-known and all, i'm sure his word carries at least SOME weight, and i'm sure he'd put in a good word for Abel.

Lots of ways to kill without blood getting everywhere, Abel even offered Merlitz one option.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Gamma

I wonder how well the B.O.B. know of Jyrass Gianna?
He could easily pop up and proclaim to stake his reputation on Abel, possibly even state he's his body guard or something. Would help smooth things over if they thought of him as some sort of authority figure.

I just don't know if Jyrass is Furrae's Steve Jobs or Bill Gates yet. Hopefully never their  'Lord of War' though.
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

KiloFoxx

Quote from: Gamma on August 17, 2012, 10:35:21 PM
He could easily pop up and proclaim to stake his reputation on Abel, possibly even state he's his body guard or something. Would help smooth things over if they thought of him as some sort of authority figure.

I just don't know if Jyrass is Furrae's Steve Jobs or Bill Gates yet. Hopefully never their  'Lord of War' though.

seeing as his "bachelor of the year" status grants him Zinivh protection, i'd say it's the B.O.B.s JOB as adventurers to know who he is.

not even taking into account all his inventions should make him pretty well-known.

hell, even if convincing them to stop DOSN'T work, all he'd have to do is stand between them and Abel. they can't touch him because of the Zinivh protection.

and now that i think of it, it'd make perfect sense to claim Abel as his bodyguard. he was seen entering his house and staying overnight, and he's FROM Zinivh initially. it'd be a perfectly logical conclusion that HE'S the protection that Zinivh gave him.

now that i think of THAT, bodyguard could be a good job for a 'cubi to get... they can shapeshift, so they'd have no problem at all blending into crowds, they don't need to eat, drink or sleep, able to maintain a 24/7 vigil. hmm... if trained to fight properly and NOT let his emotions take over, i bet a 'cubi would make an AMAZING bodyguard.
oh.. and the thought-reading. get a jump on malicious intent and all...

TacticalError

Quote from: KiloFoxx on August 18, 2012, 05:16:05 AM
now that i think of THAT, bodyguard could be a good job for a 'cubi to get... they can shapeshift, so they'd have no problem at all blending into crowds, they don't need to eat, drink or sleep, able to maintain a 24/7 vigil. hmm... if trained to fight properly and NOT let his emotions take over, i bet a 'cubi would make an AMAZING bodyguard.
oh.. and the thought-reading. get a jump on malicious intent and all...

I'd bet some of Taun's (apostrophe necessary?) clan would find employment there. If the client was another long-lived creature, that could be a well-paying and long lasting job.

joshofspam

While it seems like some know of Jyrras, it seems more like those who do are of either of the busness dealings with his products or those possibly considering him to be a potential threat.

He's obviously been toying with the idea's of new weapons and that's not surprising if you consider he was probably already friends with Dan during Dan's first encounter with Regina. Though he's keeping a good many of his inventions a secret and that might be for the best for now.

But that might also mean his importance in the view of the adventurers might be significantly less then Bill gates and might be closer to Cal Worthington and his dog Spot. Though maybe Jyras might be far enough along in his research to have a revolver and magic resistant bullets by now or something.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

YawnPB

Abel may have found some degree of Wildy's favor, but that is a mixed blessing based on her interactions with her other buddies.

IMHO It's not about the value of her reputation but her desire to barter/negotiate.  She's always working some kind of angle.  

I agree with KilFoxx, a Cubi bodyguard would be a good bodyguard.  Especially for those that don't like having an obvious "ordinary guys in suits just following you" protection detail.  Could even help improve the Cubi reputation as valuable employees.  Instead of being just soul eating assassins to be killed on sight <.<;
Lurkus Wallflowerus

e_voyager

here i'm thinking that an adventures reputation is on the the few things more valuable then their lives. an adventures reputation will exist long after they are gone a record of their deeds and accomplishments that if they are lucky will stand the test of time and make them known centuries later like our Beowulf our Hercules. it is a simply statement of "this is who i am and this is what i did" kind of thing  Remember Dan said her Earned that "friend of barmaids "reputation/title just like all the others meaning that to him is was an accomplishment worth noting.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

From what Amber's mentioned, money only gets you so far - reputation can be more valuable.

In any case, these guys almost became 'the adventurers who murdered an innkeeper'...

EDIT:

Quote from: e_voyager on August 18, 2012, 07:30:17 PM
Remember Dan said her Earned that "friend of barmaids "reputation/title just like all the others meaning that to him is was an accomplishment worth noting.

Also "Daniel Ti'Fiona - Puncher of Females"

D'ymkarra

I lol'd so hard at this  :mowcookie
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

TacticalError

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 18, 2012, 07:53:04 PM
Quote from: e_voyager on August 18, 2012, 07:30:17 PM
Remember Dan said her Earned that "friend of barmaids "reputation/title just like all the others meaning that to him is was an accomplishment worth noting.

Also "Daniel Ti'Fiona - Puncher of Females"

If I remember correctly, that particular achievement wasn't one he was enthusiastic about.