23/07/2012 [DMFA #1326] 1 down, 1 more to go.

Started by Ignuus66, July 23, 2012, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignuus66

Well then, it seems no more merlitz. Now that merlitz is dead, I have to wonder who is going to be the next 2? Also I am happy that this group was not behind the murders, as I said, they might not be the smartest group, but they are not evil. Also glad that they have the decency to (hopefully) cease-fire.

[Fixed page number -TW]

(credit: Gabi)

Sofox

Whoa! I can't believe that, I wasn't expecting...

Poor Merliz, such a great guy and yet this is how is friends find out? And with the potential for more to be injured.

Goodbye Merliz, this is how I'll always remember you.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 23, 2012, 07:24:45 AMas I said, they might not be the smartest group, but they are not evil. Also glad that they have the decency to (hopefully) cease-fire.

I dunno, Skirmish doesn't seem to be letting up.  Now, the big question is whether Merlitz is dead at all, or whether they've simply put 2 and 2 together and got 5 from the fact that Abel was disguised as him.  Similarly, whether Aliyka is dead since last we knew they were adventuring together.

If this is all because of the Alexsi business, it's actually Wildy and Mab's fault that Abel ended up in that position, which could be interesting.  Either way, they don't seem to have got the whole 'make sure you're killing the right person' thing down pat, and it could still be awkward for Abel if he's pinned with a murder he hasn't committed.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Plotting

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 23, 2012, 07:31:42 AM
Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 23, 2012, 07:24:45 AMas I said, they might not be the smartest group, but they are not evil. Also glad that they have the decency to (hopefully) cease-fire.

I dunno, Skirmish doesn't seem to be letting up.

Indeed. She seems to be up to no good with that crystal...If the B-O-B harms him they will have Fa'Lina, Kira, Wildy, Dan, Mab, Lorenda, Aaryanna, and possibly others to answer to.

Now, the big question is whether Merlitz is dead at all, or whether they've simply put 2 and 2 together and got 5 from the fact that Abel was disguised as him.  Similarly, whether Aliyka is dead since last we knew they were adventuring together.

If this is all because of the Alexsi business, it's actually Wildy and Mab's fault that Abel ended up in that position, which could be interesting.  Either way, they don't seem to have got the whole 'make sure you're killing the right person' thing down pat, and it could still be awkward for Abel if he's pinned with a murder he hasn't committed.

Whether or not Abel gets pinned with the murder which he did no commit, it does beg the question - why does the B-O-B think Abel had anything to do with it?

Also, I have been looking for an excuse to use this: :twist

Ignuus66

I think that Attaching stun crystal to spear was before nite said "hold up"

(credit: Gabi)

justacritic

Let's see last we saw or Merlitz was him falling down a cliff, also he took leave of his job as bodyguard was little notice. Take the fact that soon after a cubi Alexsi appeared to them. I think the B-O-B found out that Merlitz had gone missing actually perhaps by visiting his apartment and came to the conclusion that the Merlitz at the Lost Lake Inn was a cubi. Thus this sorry state of affairs. This seems to be a likely explanation of events. Now watch Amber pull another complete plot twist even in her condition right now.

Nocturne of Night

Quote from: Plotting on July 23, 2012, 08:36:11 AM
Whether or not Abel gets pinned with the murder which he did no commit, it does beg the question - why does the B-O-B think Abel had anything to do with it?

Simple--'cuz he's a cubi. Last they visited they saw two residents of the inn: Merlitz, and a disguised cubi (the dramatic irony is beautiful here). They likely figured if she doesn't try anything funny then they won't attack or anything, but they'll keep an eye out for when she does. Now they've gotten word somehow that Merlitz is dead. Where do they go? The cubi at Lost Lake who, as anyone who knows transformation magic obviously knows, was Alexsi and, as anyone who knows cubi nature obviously knows, killed Merlitz. Now an actual cubi has shown up to conveniently take the fall. Of course they're going to pin Merlitz's death on him!

Now, have they connected the dots and realized that the cubi was actually the one they saw as Merlitz? Maybe, maybe not. They don't really have a reason to think the person they saw as Merlitz was ever anything but. It was clearly Alexsi they were worried about. So who the heck is this random cubi they're fighting???

But alas, they're the B-O-B in "fight mode" and probably won't realize this until after the fight, which may be now since Wildy stopped them?

Alondro

*Charline sighs*  It could have been me.  If only Charles hadn't been so cheap, he could've bought me a spot as Merlitz' killer.  But no, he had to spend his money on ponies...

I would have been the most hated character ever!  All the glory, all the flames, the infuriated ranting, the death threats... so many lost opportunities...   :<

*only a really evil creature laments not being hated and despised*   >:3

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

mithril

Quote from: Nocturne of Night on July 23, 2012, 09:30:54 AM
Quote from: Plotting on July 23, 2012, 08:36:11 AM

Simple--'cuz he's a cubi. Last they visited they saw two residents of the inn: Merlitz, and a disguised cubi (the dramatic irony is beautiful here). They likely figured if she doesn't try anything funny then they won't attack or anything, but they'll keep an eye out for when she does. Now they've gotten word somehow that Merlitz is dead. Where do they go? The cubi at Lost Lake who, as anyone who knows transformation magic obviously knows, was Alexsi and, as anyone who knows cubi nature obviously knows, killed Merlitz. Now an actual cubi has shown up to conveniently take the fall. Of course they're going to pin Merlitz's death on him!

i'm not sure they've actually 'heard' he was dead, i suspect it will be as simple as them having checked around to find out that Merlitz vanished suddenly from Lost Lake (not knowing he just left to adventure again), and hadn't been heard from since the day after they visited the Inn. they'd also have found details about the fact he was dating Aryanna before that, who would be easily ID'd as a cubi since she never hid her headwings or really tried to hide her cubi identity. heck, for all we know the B.O.B. read her livejournal thing and assumed her posts about her and Merlitz's fights while dating would lead to his being killed by her.

voila, due to preexiisting anti-cubi social bias they add 2 and 2 to get 5...

the only clue to why Merlitz actually left as suddenly as he did is in the letter he wrote Alexi and left in his apartment. which the B.O.B. wouldn't know about.

and i'd imagine Aliyka's anti-violence methods would make her persona non-grata with most adventurers (since adventuring seems to be a legal and regulated job in Furrae), so Merlitz 'adventuring' with her might well have taken him completely out of any connections the B.O.B. could use to find him.

joshofspam

I dunno, Skirmish doesn't seem to be letting up.  Now, the big question is whether Merlitz is dead at all, or whether they've simply put 2 and 2 together and got 5 from the fact that Abel was disguised as him.  Similarly, whether Aliyka is dead since last we knew they were adventuring together.

I could see them jumping to conclusions.

Though I'd also wondering if they have proof or witnesses. Like you said, Aliyka was with him last we saw him. If they had a witness, it might be possible that Aliyka survived long enough to give a testament of what happened.

I think I'm seeing why Mab believes some of her friends will die. With what she's influencing, the safest place is probably being real close to her. Merlitz being far away from her other friends and her machinations, probably dropped whatever protection she was giving him.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Aside from the question of whether he's really dead, the other questions are how they know it was a 'Cubi who killed him, and how they plan to track down someone who, if they have committed a crime, is able to hide completely.

Aary herself went off on this track over Destania...

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 23, 2012, 12:15:17 PM
Aside from the question of whether he's really dead, the other questions are how they know it was a 'Cubi who killed him, and how they plan to track down someone who, if they have committed a crime, is able to hide completely.

Aary herself went off on this track over Destania...

That's true.

Though that brings another interesting thing to wonder about. If he's dead, how will Aaya take the news?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

killpurakat

Well, Merlitz hasn't been heard from in awhile. He could plausibly be dead. And he was just an adventurer and a Being, which seems to be a high risk career.

Now, given Mab's love for him in the very early comics (as evidenced here: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_227.php ), does he qualify as one of her first five friends? Because then if he is dead, according to this comic (http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1035.php ), that makes one more to go.

Or are those wily Phoenix up to their old tricks again (http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_301.php )?

Starcat5

My brain is giving me random error messages as well as a BSoD or two.  :erk

Merlitz? Dead? What sanity is THIS?!? How can we have an epic plot twist over him being a Were who FORGOT that he was a Were, if he's DEAD?!?!? :mowdizzy
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Lying Foo

Quote from: Starcat5 on July 23, 2012, 12:32:51 PM
Merlitz? Dead? What sanity is THIS?!? How can we have an epic plot twist over him being a Were who FORGOT that he was a Were, if he's DEAD?!?!? :mowdizzy

...wait, what?

...aaanyway, I'm thinking Merlitz is really dead.  Logically, it'd make more sense that they figured out a cubi had replaced him at the inn and jumped to conclusions, but dramatically, the way the news is broken doesn't speak to that.  The one almost universal exception to the broad rule that "main characters don't die offscreen" is murder mysteries, which this is.

The idea that it was a cubi who killed him, though, is probably just an inference from his last whereabouts being with a disguised "succubus."
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Farry

Huh. I guessed they were avenging Merlitz, although I too suspected they might've put 2 and 2 together to make 5.

Another thought. Remember that apology postcard that Abel had written to Merlitz? Did he just drop it at Merlitz's former residence when he realized that he'd left? What did he write and how would it seem to read to those who didn't know the context and were inclined to believe the worst?

e_voyager

Wow i did not see this coming and it's a bit of a blow. Merlitz was a fun character to watch. Maybe he's not dead just held prisoner somewhere.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Infranscia

Personally I'm thinking they're probably mistaken on Merl being dead.  I could be wrong, it's just that that's what I'm tending towards.  Phoenix oracles is a possibility.  At any rate, there's definitely some confusion jumping.

I don't know if it matters when Skirmish is tying the crystal, because I don't think she'll listen either way.

I like how Wildy and Nite stop fighting and introduce themselves all adventurer-formally. :mowmeep  Neat and cool~
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

MT Hazard

Does anyone else save the comic image? I usually do as well as adding the comment to the comments section of the file. This time it seems to have been added automatically. That or I did it without noticing.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Aisha deCabre

My mouth hung open after today's update.  Holy flackin' crap, that's a plot twist right thar. o.o

Enough of which to bring out a person that hardly ever comments on the comics these days, anyway. xP
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

mithril

Quote from: Lying Foo on July 23, 2012, 12:49:51 PM
Quote from: Starcat5 on July 23, 2012, 12:32:51 PM

...wait, what?

...aaanyway, I'm thinking Merlitz is really dead.  Logically, it'd make more sense that they figured out a cubi had replaced him at the inn and jumped to conclusions, but dramatically, the way the news is broken doesn't speak to that.  The one almost universal exception to the broad rule that "main characters don't die offscreen" is murder mysteries, which this is.

The idea that it was a cubi who killed him, though, is probably just an inference from his last whereabouts being with a disguised "succubus."

except if he were really dead, and the BOB had confimation he was dead, one would expect that confirmation would include when and where, which would put him a long way from Lost Lake, which would preclude the BOB deciding a cubi at the Inn killed him.

Daymond42

That's not just a plot twist, that's a plot rotini! :o

.. makes me hungry for some mac & cheese, actually.

Still, though, news like that sure as hell killed Wildy's happyface. Poor Wildy.

Sid

Quote from: Daymond42 on July 23, 2012, 03:12:25 PM
Still, though, news like that sure as hell killed Wildy's happyface. Poor Wildy.

Let's just hope that spears like that don't kill Wildy, period. :dface
I'm having a terrible feeling about this - she's distracted and let her guard down in the middle of a fight...
:boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on July 23, 2012, 05:42:26 PM
Let's just hope that spears like that don't kill Wildy, period. :dface
I'm having a terrible feeling about this - she's distracted and let her guard down in the middle of a fight...

I figured Skirmish would be throwing it at Abel if anyone.

Ryy Lazurus

The way this story is going, I think it's likely that we've seen the last of our charming yet short tempered fire mage.

It's a shame, as I was hoping he'd put in an appearance at some point and take a large part in a story, but it's best to accept that Amber knows what she's doing.

Ross

My response to this news is the same as Wildy's.  Alas, poor Merlitz!  I knew him, Horatio...

I've been waiting for the day he popped back up at Lost Lake, but I guess now it will never come.   :cry

justacritic

Round and round the plot twists go, where it stops no one knows

Bruinthor

I wonder if this is all a result of Gensis4's jealousy? She was looking for a confrontation with Alexsi earlier. She was told Merl had broken up with his cubi girlfriend and gone off adventuring Did she decide that Alexsi murdered Merl and present it the the rest of the BOB as a fact.

If so it is probably a good thing she took off.

inuhanyo

All I accept at this point is that the B-O-B think that Merl is dead.  The validity of this belief is unknown, it can range from based on rumor to we've examined the corpse.  And even with the last, they could be mistaken or deceived.

Plotting

Quote from: Nocturne of Night on July 23, 2012, 09:30:54 AM

I can't help but think there is more to it than that. I am not arguing with your logic, but I think there are pieces of the puzzle that Amber has not given us yet. I also suspect there will be more plot twists in the future!