14/07/2012 [DMFA #1323] Free party for Wildy!

Started by Ignuus66, July 13, 2012, 07:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignuus66

Alright, this comic is one of the funniest so far, and i must say the look on wildy's face would make anyone cower in fear of the great ferret! (all we need now is merlitz coming back)

Edit: Is that a cityscape in the window of the last panel??

(credit: Gabi)

Tapewolf

I'm kind of curious as to why Abel's strategy doesn't seem to include snatching their weapons away, and/or destroying them.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

nguard

I am impressed with the fight scene choreography.  Kudos to Amber for a dramatic yet realistic melee!

I don't know which is funnier-- Wildy's look of transcendent joy at a real fight, or Genesis's  utter terror. :mwaha

I see Abel was paying attention to Brady's fighting class! Bet he got good grades!

nguard

Blockquote:
      I'm kind of curious as to why Abel's strategy doesn't seem to include snatching their weapons away, and/or destroying them.

Because Abel was trained that way? To go for disabling the actual threat, not just the implement?

Unarmed combat and spell casting are are just two of many ways (in this universe) of attacking that do not require weapons.  You knock down the attacker so he/she/it cannot switch methods and kill you while you are distracted.

I like how Abel is using his wings as arm augmentation, and also going for the bludgeoning attacks to avoid the blood phobia.

Infranscia

Well, that confirms what the necklace/pendent/crystal-on-a-chain is for.

The fight scene is crazy enough that I, personally, had to look over it a few times to get a good idea of what happens.  Overall, it's good. :mowsmile

Wildy is great in the last panel. :mowhappy  I love how she pounces off the counter.  It works on multiple levels!  She did a nice move with that pendant, too. :mowwink
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

joshofspam

Actually, the way Wildy is jumping into the fight reminds me how she jumped into things at Saia.

Sure she was having cookies with the cubi students at the end of thing. But before that, she was jumping into the thick of things just like this.

Certainly tells you that Wildy loves a good fight. Though I wonder whats the deal with Genesis's reaction to Wildy? Is that a stereotyped response or are Ferret's well known for taking the brawl to ya and enjoying it?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

MT Hazard

I'd imagined Dan might have trouble during this fight, two attractive women, one of which who appears to be an amazon. He would be distracted to say the least.

Its seems Wildy can use her powers without her staff, interesting. This does lead some credence to the 'Wildy is a Were' theory, considering Beings generally have 'Very weak or no magic' and she only recently became a shaman.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

janusmaxwell

Okay as a long time fan of DMFA, and a more recent fan of the meme "Texts from my dog"  I had to make a comment on this comic.

"IT'S RAINING FERRETS B-TCH!"

justacritic

At last we see Wildy in action and from what I'm seeing she's very effective.

e_voyager

my guess is that between Wildy and biggs Ferrets are well know to be dangerous.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Plotting

I like how in Furrae they are always gay, taken, dead, or incubi :lol

justacritic

Quote from: Plotting on July 13, 2012, 09:51:46 PM
Note that they don't have to be mutually exclusive either.

Hariman

I love how "Ferrets" is treated as a threat at least as frightful as "Pygmy Shrews!".

This is a great fight scene. It's clear what's going on and Gen's reaction to Wildy is priceless!

It also seems like Abel has Skirmish and Pegasus locked down fighting him, so if anyone else arrives to help or if Alexsi wakes up, the Blunt Object Brigade is toast!
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

McKathlin

I must say, the extra-tall format really works well for this scene: it forces you to take in the action frame by frame, for maximum surprise.

Everyone's said it, but I'll say it, too: I love Wildy's look of deranged glee in the last panel.   :mowhappy
"My wisdom is slightly higher than my stupidity." ~Lawenia

Infranscia

Quote from: MT Hazard on July 13, 2012, 08:12:25 PMIts seems Wildy can use her powers without her staff, interesting. This does lead some credence to the 'Wildy is a Were' theory, considering Beings generally have 'Very weak or no magic' and she only recently became a shaman.

Maybe.  Considering that she and her brother both have bright hair, even if she turns out to technically be a being, I'd say there's a good chance they at least have some creature blood.

At any rate, while the staff probably amplifies things, I think it's safe to say that it's not strictly necessary.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

Bruinthor

It would be a great time for Lorenda to show up late for the party. But not her mom, given Amber's confessed lazy streak the subsequent panel would be a red splotch.
If Pryoduck and Miss Mab were to return things would definitely take a turn to 'oh shit' for the blunt object brigade. If am wondering how Mab will deal with the conflict between seeing her friend hurt and her mostly pacifistic character.
Recent hints about drawing guns might imply Jyras is going to take a significant.
I will be counting the hours to the next update.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: nguard on July 13, 2012, 07:51:38 PMI like how Abel is using his wings as arm augmentation,

Both as augmentation for his arms and as separate limbs.

Quote from: MT Hazard on July 13, 2012, 08:12:25 PM
I'd imagined Dan might have trouble during this fight, two attractive women, one of which who appears to be an amazon. He would be distracted to say the least.

They might distract him a bit, though he's (momentarily) seen them before. And protecting his sister would help negate that distraction.

Is there some supposed advantage to Skirmish's  spear having a bent shaft?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Madmann135

Quote from: justacritic on July 13, 2012, 10:14:16 PM
Quote from: Plotting on July 13, 2012, 09:51:46 PM
Note that they don't have to be mutually exclusive either.

A Gay, taken, Incubus... Lord Ikaarion Daryil comes to mind.  They could also be undead, dragon, were or ...human.
Seriously though I will give credit to Able, not only is he intelligently handling the adventure party.  

Side note... I wonder how Dan would have handled it considering his history

Quote from: Bruinthor on July 13, 2012, 11:39:05 PM
It would be a great time for Lorenda to show up late for the party. But not her mom, given Amber's confessed lazy streak the subsequent panel would be a red splotch.
If Pryoduck and Miss Mab were to return things would definitely take a turn to 'oh shit' for the blunt object brigade. If am wondering how Mab will deal with the conflict between seeing her friend hurt and her mostly pacifistic character.
Recent hints about drawing guns might imply Jyras is going to take a significant.

Mab and P-Ducky show up, Mab will put on a show and defuse the situation by scaring the B-O-B senseless.
In short P-Ducky will try to be reason but Mab will stop it cold.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Gamma

I was wondering when the "Wildy-Fire" would show up :D (No disrespect to Colorado)

If Jyrras doesn't have his own weapon he might have called MACE to make it there with all due haste, possibly with the Gryphon-Mech!

And I would not want to be anywhere near there if Pyroduck were to show up...
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

Plotting

Quote from: Madmann135 on July 13, 2012, 11:51:41 PM

Mab and P-Ducky show up, Mab will put on a show and defuse the situation by scaring the B-O-B senseless.

Like when she threatened to put Dan and Aaryanna in a long time out? Which kinds of makes me wonder - what would a Fae time out be like if the mere threat of one is enough to scare Merlitz and Aaryanna?

Bruinthor

Quote from: Plotting on July 14, 2012, 12:25:30 AM
Quote from: Madmann135 on July 13, 2012, 11:51:41 PM

Like when she threatened to put Dan and Aaryanna in a long time out? Which kinds of makes me wonder - what would a Fae time out be like if the mere threat of one is enough to scare Merlitz and Aaryanna?

Given that the B-O-B haven't shown a lot of common sense todate we may find out.

AxiLarin

Flying ferrets of freedom!!  :U

How typically Gen to be lost in the moment before Pegasus snaps her out of it.  Wildy's got good aim.  Sparing practice with Dan seems to be paying off.  I do wonder (and/or worry) how Jyrras plans to get involved in this melee.  We haven't seen MACE's combat skills yet, and I do admit... I'm rather curious.

P.S.  100 gils says Chicki is outside the inn, photographing everything and dreaming of a Pulitzer.  :D

Brunhidden

death from above with molestation face

is it just me or is abels fighting style reminiscent of a breakdance/sissy slapfight fusion?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Wanderer

And flying ferrets shall descend upon the wicked! :mwaha

Wildy's going to kick Gen's butt. These fools have no idea the pain they have brought upon themselves.

lycaonpictus77

Quote from: Ignuus66 on July 13, 2012, 07:29:24 PM
Edit: Is that a cityscape in the window of the last panel??

I believe it's just the bottles behind the bar, though I could be wrong.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on July 14, 2012, 01:27:24 AM

Three words covers it, yes. Death From Above!

Quote from: Wanderer on July 14, 2012, 01:54:00 AM

"... and strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to kidnap her friends or brothers. And you will know that she is the Ferret, when she lays her vengeance upon thee."

?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Plotting

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 14, 2012, 02:46:41 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on July 14, 2012, 01:27:24 AM

Three words covers it, yes. Death From Above!

Quote from: Wanderer on July 14, 2012, 01:54:00 AM

"... and strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to kidnap her friends or brothers. And you will know that she is the Ferret, when she lays her vengeance upon thee."

?

'And that's all before she gets out her Holy Hand Grenade, which she shall raise up on high, saying "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord shall grin. And the people shall feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu...'

Ok that's enough Monty Python and the Holy Grail for one day!  :P

Tapewolf

Quote from: nguard on July 13, 2012, 07:51:38 PM
Because Abel was trained that way? To go for disabling the actual threat, not just the implement?
Unarmed combat and spell casting are are just two of many ways (in this universe) of attacking that do not require weapons.

I dunno - this lot seem to be rather dependent on their implements.  Lopping the head off the spear, slicing the sword in half and snatching that amulet wouldn't take much time for each one, and IMHO it looks like Gen could easily have taken down Abel if Wildy hadn't disarmed her.

Quote from: AxiLarin on July 14, 2012, 01:00:27 AM
P.S.  100 gils says Chicki is outside the inn, photographing everything and dreaming of a Pulitzer.  :D

Now this is the thing.  Some people have been wondering why it's called "Then everything went wrong" and why Abel would be unhappy about the turn of events in this chapter.  It occurred to me last night that these adventurers now know that Abel is 'Cubi, and given that they seem to have a very strong anti-'Cubi agenda, they are likely to tell other people about it.  If the Lost Lake crew file a report with the local authorities the fact that Abel is 'Cubi is not going to be easy to hide now.
That could make his life particularly awkward if he suddenly has adventurers or worse breaking into the inn to try and get him.

Wanderer

Yet Aaryanna wandered around Lost Lake as a blatant Succubus for quite some time without any trouble. It seems to be a well-established creature-friendly zone.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Wanderer on July 14, 2012, 10:43:48 AM
Yet Aaryanna wandered around Lost Lake as a blatant Succubus for quite some time without any trouble. It seems to be a well-established creature-friendly zone.

It's quite likely that the present trouble was caused by her being seen at the inn, i.e. the "reports of 'Cubi activity" mentioned by Nitemyst's group earlier on in the comic

EDIT: Though the inn itself, definitely.  Note the little banners - they seem to depict the major races in a stylised fashion.