28/05/2012 [DMFA# 1312] Fool me twice, shame on me.

Started by Ignuus66, May 28, 2012, 07:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignuus66

Dan really didn't learn from Abel, did he?  Well at the very least he learned it the hard way... Again  :rolleyes

(credit: Gabi)

SuaveIV

*delurks* This might end your jar-opening woes. I know it did mine.... And now, back to the shadows... *relurks*

joshofspam

Hmmmmmmm...her eyes are practically white in that last panel.

She wouldn't happen to rely more on the emotions around her to perceive her surroundings, you think?

Still, it seems like a lot of these teachers like to have a little fun with their lessons.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

TacticalError

Dan's expression 4th panel was just what I needed on a Monday. Although I would have thought fear would be black/dark grey. I'm probably just matching the clan leader colors with the trademark emotions too much.

On the subject of the salsa jar, I tend to hit things that aren't opening with heavy objects. This method seems to work quite well, although you have to remember just to tap with glass containers. Hitting them doesn't end happily, for self-evident reasons.

Ignuus66

Making a small hole in the top of the can with something sharp helps a lot too.

Viking ZX

Jar related suggestion: Run the lid of the jar under hot (or boiling) water for a few moments, then put a washcloth over it to help with grip. The size change is usually enough to make it nice and lose.
I'm an author! Check out my site!

Nino

Quote from: TacticalError on May 28, 2012, 12:43:53 PM
Dan's expression 4th panel was just what I needed on a Monday. Although I would have thought fear would be black/dark grey. I'm probably just matching the clan leader colors with the trademark emotions too much.

Fear and terror might be considered significantly different emotions though. Kind of like how bad horror flicks rely on sudden, startling loud noises can seem terrifying, but that's different than, say, having a phobia, or having a lingering fear you'll sleep in during finals, for instance.

I love the cow's design. It reminds me of something out of Hindu mythology because of the multiple arms. And I guess a cow would tie right into that too.

MT Hazard

Just as well Fa'lina (and Destania ) would approve of this 'school of hard knocks' approach to learning, others would be a bit annoyed that their student/son is being taught using traumatising methods.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Beeks

I'd so debate on the topic of "forceful teaching methods vs standard fare", but that's probably not a good idea here, lol.

Suffice it to say, the more forceful technique used in this comic is probably more well-suited to areas where people still quest to kill demons and stuff, and prey on sentient species for food. It's hard to use "Now, that's not very nice." in a situation where you're teaching someone a skill that could prevent them from being killed.

MT Hazard

Improbable script for next strip

Dan: That was mean

Bluecow: Come on! You should know this stuff by now!

Dan: I've only known I'm a incubi for a few months, even my own mother didn't tell me, she ran off  a year ago.

Bluecow....

Attic Rat

I can't add anything to the storyline, so I'll toss in yet another way to loosen lids on salsa jars. The vacuum inside the jar is helping hold it shut, so (gently!) pry an edge of the lid out at various points with a spoon until you hear the air hiss in and the center of the lid pop up. After that, the lid comes off easier. There are many weapons in the war against glass packaging, but it is still often a jarring experience indeed.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Ignuus66 on May 28, 2012, 01:28:59 PM
Making a small hole in the top of the can with something sharp helps a lot too.
That might be fine if you don't plan to seal it again.

Quote from: Attic Rat on May 28, 2012, 10:47:58 PM
I can't add anything to the storyline, so I'll toss in yet another way to loosen lids on salsa jars. The vacuum inside the jar is helping hold it shut, so (gently!) pry an edge of the lid out at various points with a spoon until you hear the air hiss in and the center of the lid pop up. After that, the lid comes off easier.
Will it reseal again or just sit loosely on the jar?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

TacticalError

There are many weapons in the war against glass packaging, but it is still often a jarring experience indeed.

I see what you did there.

Slipdance

Ah, the emotional version of a screamer video.

TacticalError

Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 28, 2012, 11:48:43 PM

I can't add anything to the storyline, so I'll toss in yet another way to loosen lids on salsa jars. The vacuum inside the jar is helping hold it shut, so (gently!) pry an edge of the lid out at various points with a spoon until you hear the air hiss in and the center of the lid pop up. After that, the lid comes off easier.

Sit loosely on the jar. Since the jar had air pumped out of it when it was filled with salsa (or whatever) and then shipped, the air pressure was higher outside and... God, I've had too many exams. I'm answering everything with an over-detailed answer.

ishidan

Quote from: TacticalError on May 29, 2012, 01:17:57 AM

Sit loosely on the jar. Since the jar had air pumped out of it when it was filled with salsa (or whatever) and then shipped, the air pressure was higher outside and... God, I've had too many exams. I'm answering everything with an over-detailed answer.

And wrong, too.  The vacuum lock is what's making it currently too difficult to open.  Release the vacuum, though, and the friction of the screw top closure will still seal the jar.  It will, however, be considerably easier to open in the future.  As originally designed, as you will only be fighting the friction between the lid and the jar for future opening.  "Loose", it should not be, but it will not be "impossible" either.

This is unless you are too forceful in the attempt to open it, and end off flaring/bending/breaking the edges of the lid.  Then the screw top won't thread, and you'll have a loose lid.

TacticalError

Quote from: ishidan on May 29, 2012, 04:18:28 AM

And wrong, too.  The vacuum lock is what's making it currently too difficult to open.  Release the vacuum, though, and the friction of the screw top closure will still seal the jar.  It will, however, be considerably easier to open in the future.  As originally designed, as you will only be fighting the friction between the lid and the jar for future opening.  "Loose", it should not be, but it will not be "impossible" either.

Not incorrect. The vaccum is indeed what is currently making it too difficult to open, but the higher air pressure outside compared to the pressure inside the jar is effectively pushing down on the lid (and the rest of the jar as well, but the glass is rigid enough to keep its shape, unlike, say, plastic bottle with a vaccum in it). Also I was referring to the state of the jar right after the initial opening. Of course, assuming no physical harm was done to the jar and the lid during the initial opening, the jar will close properly later.

Alondro

*Charline de Lyon feels the heart-stopping terror!  And is overwhelmed!*  Oh dear lord... *pants*  That was incredible!  *wants MORE absolute terror!*  :kruger
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Attic Rat

Quote from: TacticalError on May 29, 2012, 06:42:30 AM

Not incorrect. The vaccum is indeed what is currently making it too difficult to open, but the higher air pressure outside compared to the pressure inside the jar is effectively pushing down on the lid (and the rest of the jar as well, but the glass is rigid enough to keep its shape, unlike, say, plastic bottle with a vaccum in it). Also I was referring to the state of the jar right after the initial opening. Of course, assuming no physical harm was done to the jar and the lid during the initial opening, the jar will close properly later.

Physics in salsa! If you haven't actually bent or damaged the metal or the glass, the pressure will have equalized, and the jar will reseal. Now... If you heated the glass jar of salsa in a microwave oven for some nefarious reason, and then put the lid back on tightly, and waited for the jar to cool, you will once again have a vacuum-sealed jar!  8) Science!
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

TacticalError

Quote from: Attic Rat on May 29, 2012, 04:30:47 PM
Quote from: TacticalError on May 29, 2012, 06:42:30 AM

Physics in salsa! If you haven't actually bent or damaged the metal or the glass, the pressure will have equalized, and the jar will reseal. Now... If you heated the glass jar of salsa in a microwave oven for some nefarious reason, and then put the lid back on tightly, and waited for the jar to cool, you will once again have a vacuum-sealed jar!  8) Science!

Science indeed!

Ignuus66

It's not science... It's Logic :D !

It's simple: The air inside the salsa can heats up and expands, and when you place the lid on (thus sealing it)  and the air cools back down, it contracts, thus making a vaccum (compared to the atmosphere down here, it's still not a real vaccum)

Naldru

Quote from: TacticalError on May 29, 2012, 12:35:48 AM
There are many weapons in the war against glass packaging, but it is still often a jarring experience indeed.

I find this string of conversation simply smashing.

Now if you close it during a thunderstorm and try to open it on a clear day, you might find the jar a little difficult to open.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

TacticalError

Quote from: Naldru on May 31, 2012, 06:47:57 PM
Quote from: TacticalError on May 29, 2012, 12:35:48 AM

I find this string of conversation simply smashing.

Now if you close it during a thunderstorm and try to open it on a clear day, you might find the jar a little difficult to open.

*twitches on floor from bad puns*

On the second point, is that due to the low air pressure during a thunderstorm?

Ignuus66

TacticalError

Quote from: Ignuus66 on June 01, 2012, 01:30:21 PM
yeah, but the difference won't be as big.

So, negligible compared to the initial seal.

Ignuus66

yes... Also I've always wondered why they call Vaccum cleaners that... It's not like they use vaccumes to work :P

Nocturne of Night

Certainly shorter and easier to remember than "localized reduction of pressure cleaner," that's for sure. Maybe "vacuum" isn't quite accurate, but then again, there is such a term as "partial vacuum" so close enough.

MT Hazard

Its like radiators, they actually heat by convection, not radiation.

ishidan

Quote from: Ignuus66 on June 01, 2012, 06:19:07 PM
yes... Also I've always wondered why they call Vaccum cleaners that... It's not like they use vaccumes to work :P

Good lord your persistent spelling error has become eye-crossingly annoying.

It's "vacuum".

And yes, it does.  It produces a vacuum (area of zero air pressure) at the air pump.  The work is done by surrounding air rushing in to attempt to fill the vacuum, where it exerts force the offending materials on the way.