I'm Watching You, all of you.

Started by Thornbrier, March 09, 2012, 07:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thornbrier

Long time reader, just found the forums. I am The Watcher, The Recorder, I am the unseen eye, and I am watching you all. HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA!

Anyway, I love DMFA. Its one of the things that helped me realize things about myself.

I write fiction, I study sociology, and I read web comics. I just started getting a little into writing fan fics, so far I only wrote one involving the Doctor's Daughter, but I might have to try one involving SAIA. I love Cubi. "QUAK QUAK!" And I love Taurs.

I'm also making this post as a test to see if I have too many fan boxes or whatever in my sig. It looked like some of them might have been cut off in the profile preview.

LOVES!

Tapewolf

I was going to say, you must have been watching for a while to have immediately set up a fan bar.
Anyway, welcome to the forum.  Don't forget to read the rules and so on and so forth.
I'd usually remind people that there's more than just DMFA here, but it looks like you've already found Last Resort anyway.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Thornbrier

Oh, yes, I found Last Resort a LONG time ago. I haven't read it for quite some time, but now I shall.

And I normally do my homework. I just read the Foxfire comic, and the about page (and some of the cast pages) for the Project Future. That one is what inspired me that maybe I should actually write up some of the insane ideas I've had about stories with cubi.  I often imagine interesting types of characters showing up in worlds other than the story they are from.

Might have to write up one with a pair of clan Zezzuva twins interacting with my Gemani twin-people. He he he. :mwaha  At one time I was making stats for Cubi for the Palladium system so I could play one in a Rifts game, but that group fell apart before we got to play.  :mowsad

Much as I would love to write stuff with Dan and Matilda, I fail at ship writing. All though... given some of the ships I've read  :erk I know I could do better than those, but I'm too much of a perfectionist to settle for that.

Tapewolf

Thanks.  The lead artist on Project Future is having a run of bad luck at the moment, which is very frustrating.  The backstories are still running though.

IMHO the key to writing passable fan-fiction (*) is to avoid using canon characters.  With Fa'Lina it's a bit easier because she tends to mold her personality depending on who she's talking to, and in some ways it's hard to avoid with 'Cubi characters because she runs the main training school. However, writing something where your character goes off adventuring with Dan or attempts to seduce Abel is a good recipe for fail.

With PF, it was my second attempt.  The first story was 'Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn', and the better parts of that are being adapted into the backstories of the comic.

(*) Someone will no doubt argue that no fan-fiction is 'good'

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 09, 2012, 08:29:41 AM
IMHO the key to writing passable fan-fiction (*) is to avoid using canon characters.
I concur.

In any case, welcome to the forums! And now that I've read your introduction I'm curious about what it is that DMFA has helped you realize about yourself.

In my case, it helped me realize that I really like DMFA. :)
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

VAE

Shipping... the Mos Eisley of fanfiction. XD

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 09, 2012, 08:29:41 AM
IMHO the key to writing passable fan-fiction (*) is to avoid using canon characters.

I third this.  While it's certainly possible to do good fanfics using canon characters, just using the general universe is far, far easier. For one, you don't have to worry about not fitting the personality of the canon character right, for two,unless you do something very clever, it will tend to gravitate towards  "same old, same old".

As an aside.. trying to make up 'Cubi in Palladium? Nice. Have tried similar things with DnD 3.5 and a bunch of folks around here, to a variable degree of success :3
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth