2012/01/10 [TANP #7] fethers

Started by Merlin, January 10, 2012, 01:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Poor Page :<

Gotta say, the expressions in this comic are amazing... poor Page. Sorry, I can't help saying that every time I look at the comic. And dammit Torvin, no matter how sorry you are you're not sorry enough!

Despite it being a total downer of a comic, the joke in the title definitely made me laffo because I am a bad person

Tapewolf

Quote from: Merlin on January 10, 2012, 01:24:05 AM
Despite it being a total downer of a comic, the joke in the title definitely made me laffo because I am a bad person

I will say that this is a story which has a number of ups and downs in it.  That folklore about dealing with Angels was one of my favourite pieces of dialogue to write, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

justacritic

I bang my head at the lack of common sense by the villagers, at Page's father, the general state of the law in this place.
More and more I realize a lot of places in Furrae need a giant wake-up call, preferably with a large hammer. This isn't a can of worms, it's an entire colony of basilisks (did I get that spelling right even?).   

Tapewolf

Quote from: justacritic on January 10, 2012, 09:22:13 AM
I bang my head at the lack of common sense by the villagers, at Page's father, the general state of the law in this place.
More and more I realize a lot of places in Furrae need a giant wake-up call, preferably with a large hammer. This isn't a can of worms, it's an entire colony of basilisks (did I get that spelling right even?).   

This part of the story is about 1200 years prior to DMFA, and kind of modelled on the Dark Ages.

James StarRunner

Granted we aren't much more tolerant of others in the modern day either.

Surzsha

Yeah, 'cause sawing off a part of your body definitely makes you an entirely new species...

Though I still find the mentality more funny than irritating. Gotta laugh at the dark stuff too, you know. Keeps you sane. For a bit.

Gabi

O_O James is here!
And... um... Yes, reading about their methods to deal with Angels was interesting and horrible at the same time, but ignorance can lead to lots of horrible things like that.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

James StarRunner

Quote from: Gabi on January 11, 2012, 07:08:51 PM
O_O James is here!
And... um... Yes, reading about their methods to deal with Angels was interesting and horrible at the same time, but ignorance can lead to lots of horrible things like that.
No I'm not! It's a horrible, horrible lie! Oh, and it's good to see you too. :3

joshofspam

Well if Page's dad snuck in, then I guess it wouldn't be impossible that Page could sneak back out.

Though how will Page live now?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

VAE

To paraphrase a known truth, with parents like Lucien, who needs enemies.

Dark Ages and superstition or not, I'm starting to appreciate the villagers' attitude to creatures, especially ones that cause mayhem even when not intending to.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Apparently I changed everything except the actual filename of the new page.  It was very late last night.
What is worse is that I updated the compositing software to its latest version and it's broken, hence the white lines and italic text.  Great work, guys.

Anyway, glitches aside, the new page is up.

justacritic

I rather think he looks cute when he's helpless, then again it's a defense mechanism against sentimental saps I suppose...

Tapewolf

Quote from: justacritic on January 24, 2012, 08:45:08 AM
I rather think he looks cute when he's helpless, then again it's a defense mechanism against sentimental saps I suppose...

Are you sure you're looking at the right page? :3

Anyway, I've managed to fix and re-upload the file, after reverting to the previous version of the compositor software.

AmberCross

Quote from: VAE on January 20, 2012, 05:38:50 AM

Dark Ages and superstition or not, I'm starting to appreciate the villagers' attitude to creatures, especially ones that cause mayhem even when not intending to.
This basically boils down to the fact that creatures deal with creatures and beings with beings. So for a being, a brawl is a perfectly acceptable means of saying, "Bitch, he ain't your son anymore. Scram!" especially since they can't accidentally kill each other that easily. But for creatures the ante is upped by several magnitudes and when a demon runs at you armed raised, you had better act as if your life is at risk. Put the two together and you get an 'innocent' punch met with extreme force.

To put it in terms we'd understand, imagine if you were playing baseball (or cricket) and instead of pitching a ball, the pitcher for some reason pitched your mother's fine china and since you don't get a clear look while it's still flying, you don't notice until your swing shatters it landing you in a world of trouble. From their perspective, you just broke this really expensive china. But from yours, they had no business throwing that damn china in the first place and it is totally their fault.

VAE

Quote from: AmberCross on January 24, 2012, 10:44:48 PM
Quote from: VAE on January 20, 2012, 05:38:50 AM

This basically boils down to the fact that creatures deal with creatures and beings with beings. So for a being, a brawl is a perfectly acceptable means of saying, "Bitch, he ain't your son anymore. Scram!" especially since they can't accidentally kill each other that easily. But for creatures the ante is upped by several magnitudes and when a demon runs at you armed raised, you had better act as if your life is at risk. Put the two together and you get an 'innocent' punch met with extreme force.

I very much disagree. An unarmed brawl would likely be no worse , given that creatures are also way more resistant to damage through nonmagical means. Allright, they do get natural weapons of a very much higher quality, but still.

Either way, the mechanics of *that* was very much not my point, because when the stepfather  leapt at him with a broadsword, half of the fail has already happened (well, it was caused by both sides suspecting each other, but still that was some seriously poor impulse control there) and second half was essentially panicking and leaving his own son in deep shit. Somehow, it makes me wonder how did he survive until these events. Thinking on the spot despite how badly a situation turns is kind of a useful skill for a warrior.

Once again family like this is what probably makes about half the creatures in there join groups like Burning Feather.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

AmberCross

If you had just slaughtered the family of someone while claiming to be their true father, do YOU think that person would willingly go anywhere with you? Honestly I think given the monumental screwup that occurred, his followup actions of just leaving his son the map was actually probably the best thing he could have done.