11/25/11 [DMFA #1266] - The Customer is Not Always Desirable

Started by Infranscia, November 24, 2011, 10:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infranscia

Och.  While I haven't worked with customers yet, I've still heard stories.  And if you know what I'm referencing with the title, then you also know what I'm talking about.  :rolleyes  Yeah, sometimes it seems like there's a certain way to handle various customers, but whether or not you go with it, they can be wearying.

And explaining technology to characters who don't know about it is always fun. X3

Is that a Mow on the back of the laptop screen?
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

joshofspam

Abel looking impressed is such a rare thing.

I would guess that quite a few groups would be put off by Jyrras's non-magical inventions.

You know? I just thought of something, Jyrras's lecture magic that sticks to everything and non-magical items makes me wonder if Jyrras's or even Amber has thought about how confusing that can be to someone.

Non magic means it works without the aid of magic and Jyrras hasn't worked out yet how to make something 100% magic free yet. So...If Jyrras works that out...what would you call something that goes through the process that he's still working out?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Infranscia

Quote from: joshofspam on November 24, 2011, 10:55:26 PMYou know? I just thought of something, Jyrras's lecture magic that sticks to everything and non-magical items makes me wonder if Jyrras's or even Amber has thought about how confusing that can be to someone.

Non magic means it works without the aid of magic and Jyrras hasn't worked out yet how to make something 100% magic free yet. So...If Jyrras works that out...what would you call something that goes through the process that he's still working out?

In this case, he seems to be talking about making stuff that doesn't rely at all on magic to function, more than stuff that has absolutely no magic in it (though he does seem to like removing most of the magic from the materials of stuff he makes).  Like rather than the item having to rely on hocus-pocus, it has it's own power source (or plugs into on outlet) and doesn't need the user to channel their energy into the item for it to (re)charge.

Come to think, he probably does this at least partly so that non magic-users like himself can use various things more-easily.

Though yeah, some magic in the item probably won't disrupt it.  Doesn't need magic, but it won't hurt the item either.  If anything, he probably took magic into account so that it won't malfunction if some creature made of magic uses it and ends up imbuing a little magic in it by accident.

EDIT: Come to look, the drink in the bottles is pink.  Maybe it's a type of soda or something, rather than alcoholic?
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

joshofspam

Quote from: Infranscia on November 24, 2011, 11:17:12 PM
Come to think, he probably does this at least partly so that non magic-users like himself can use various things more-easily.

That's probably a good reason for him.

Though I like how Abel is rather fascinated by Jyrras's laptop. Figure that Jyrras is probably giving Abel more experience in the present time then any other character. How often does someone get to spend a movie night in the house of tomorrow?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

lilpuppy23

iMow!

Also, I din't notice the lack of lighting effects until Amber mentioned it...

Naldru

Very appropriate for today since people in retail not only get to deal with crazy customers, they get to do it at five o'clock in the morning.

(In the United States, this is the day after Thanksgiving day.  Most of the stores were closed yesterday, and open very early today.)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Viking ZX

EDIT: Come to look, the drink in the bottles is pink.  Maybe it's a type of soda or something, rather than alcoholic?

I noticed that the bottles looked the same way in the last one. My thought was Strawberry milk. Stealth joke?
I'm an author! Check out my site!

Surzsha

EDIT: Come to look, the drink in the bottles is pink.  Maybe it's a type of soda or something, rather than alcoholic?

Well it's possible to make a pink-coloured alcoholic drink, so there's really no reason to doubt it.

Quote from: joshofspam on November 24, 2011, 10:55:26 PM

I won't go into details on my personal concept, but lets just say I think a '100% natural' object could potentially be dangerous to magically-based creatures.

bradley535

I can see the future of Furrae... Computers in every home, Jyrras the head of the largest software/hardware company, Wildy writing a fantastic webcomic about the strange world of Earth and its Humans.

MT Hazard

You can see why Jy would want to play down his achievements, he is a key player in allowing beings to have technology free from magic dependency, in tipping the balance of power in favour of beings.  

Imagine living for hundred of years only to find the short lived, magic poor beings now have the advantage and from your perspective it happened practically overnight.  

I do wonder what happens to the time perceptive of a person who lives for thousands of years.

Quote from: Infranscia on November 24, 2011, 10:13:07 PM
Och.  While I haven't worked with customers yet, I've still heard stories.  And if you know what I'm referencing with the title, then you also know what I'm talking about.  :rolleyes  Yeah, sometimes it seems like there's a certain way to handle various customers, but whether or not you go with it, they can be wearying.

I'm guessing you've heard of the site The customer is not always right?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Naldru

Quote from: bradley535 on November 25, 2011, 04:55:00 PM
I can see the future of Furrae... Computers in every home, Jyrras the head of the largest software/hardware company, Wildy writing a fantastic webcomic about the strange world of Earth and its Humans.
Well, he did attend the Bill Gates computer camp.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Arcblade

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 25, 2011, 05:19:16 PM

I do wonder what happens to the time perceptive of a person who lives for thousands of years.

There's always Cyra's version of "soon"

e_voyager

Quote from: Arcblade on November 25, 2011, 08:12:51 PM

There's always Cyra's version of "soon"

the longer you live the more time seems to compress. a mortal life time is brief very brief when we think in geological terms
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

psilorder

Going in the other direction sorta, i am reminded of a "What If" story where Tony Stark became a sorceror and built his armor so it could automate spellcasting and thus let him cast spells like a machinegun.

D'ymkarra

You can see why Jy would want to play down his achievements, he is a key player in allowing beings to have technology free from magic dependency, in tipping the balance of power in favour of beings.  

Imagine living for hundred of years only to find the short lived, magic poor beings now have the advantage and from your perspective it happened practically overnight.  

Jyrras has always seemed a very low key character to begin with; he values his privacy, as well as that of his friends. He likely understands the ramifications of his inventions/ creations full well, hence him having his lab underground.

As for Abel dealing with the public: Whoever said war is hell, never worked in retail  :mowmeep
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf