We have spambots. Huzzah.

Started by bill, August 16, 2006, 05:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

A copy of a PM I just recieved.

*edit snippy*  Since everyone got a copy of this spam. I think its safe to say its not needed to be duplicated.

*edit* Why are the voices talking to me? Out, out!

ITOS

This generic comment was brought to you by:

xHaZxMaTx

Bill seems to be in the dark. Should we give him a light?

Shadrok

With this happening right after the forum issue makes me wonder if the user "Bill Clinton"  knew or was the one who caused the problem. That or they could have just been spaming with no link to the forum crash, just idiocy.

*edit*
Just to clarify which Bill I was talking about.

Dakata

No offense to Bill, but I kinda thought he had something to do with the forum hack after he made that one thread, and made the test account just to PM a mod. And he says he saw the forums get deleted one by one. I don't get how he's the only one who saw it (unless there was no one else on the forum at the time*, which I kinda doubt, or some forumites saw it and didn't wanna say anything about it.)

...*Goes in the corner*

(* - I was busy at the time. I doing nerdy things [and chatting with some friends who knew nothing about DMFA]. D: *Covers face* Don't look at my nerdyneeeeeesss!)

bill

Bah. And I woulda got away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!

Really, I didn't hack the forum. My idea of hacking is *obtuse game reference* hitting colored nodes and trying to light up three in a row.

Dakata

It probably wasn't you anyway, Bill. It could've been anyone. One of the forumites being a butthole, a forumite who got banned (either a banned forumite from the old forum or some person Darkmoon banned before the DMFA-ers came), a Furre-hater, some butthole hacker...Or it could've been that one hobo that lives in that one alley by my house!

NO ONE KNOWS. D:

*Notices that he's wearing a "NERDY SMART-ASS PRIDE" shirt* D: Gah! *Rips it up* No one saw that. << >>

Sid

Quote from: Dakata on August 16, 2006, 06:35:26 PM
No offense to Bill, but I kinda thought he had something to do with the forum hack after he made that one thread, and made the test account just to PM a mod. And he says he saw the forums get deleted one by one. I don't get how he's the only one who saw it (unless there was no one else on the forum at the time*, which I kinda doubt, or some forumites saw it and didn't wanna say anything about it.)

- While the "Who is online" list usually shows quite a few people, not everybody is actually online at the time (in the sense of F5-ing the forum index). Names stay on the list for... fifteen minutes or so, I think. Especially since the time of the hack had hardly been rush hour, forum-wise.

- Taking out the user database first makes sure nobody else shows up in the list or can get in the way otherwise.

- Not everybody who might've seen it might have thought of checking The Nice instantly to discuss it.

- Check the first page of Bill's thread. Quite a few people, including me, replied with their own reports even before the database was disconnected (which apparently happened just after deleting everything). So Bill was hardly the only one to notice it. He had only been there a few minutes before (most of) the rest.

- Why would Bill make a test account after hacking up an entire forum? The hacker had control of an account already. Besides, sending a PM would've been pointless anyway since the database was disconnected minutes afterwards. So there would have been no way for Darkmoon to actually read it.

- I saw both Bill and the hacked account at the same time. So Bill would have needed two separate browsers to log in with two accounts at the same time (logged-out users aren't listed as online, I believe). Given the point above, this strikes me as... well, pointless.

I know many people are still tense and shifty after last night, but I think we can ease off the paranoia a bit. :)

You are in error.
No one is screaming.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Trust The Computer. The Computer is your Friend.
:boogie

Dakata

Sid, I'm 14. I'm not suppose to understand things you stinkin' adults are suppose to understand. :P That, and I'm a sleepy dragon.

And I think names on the Online users thing stay on for like 20 minutes. :B Just sayin'.

*Goes in the corner again*

Sid

Quote from: Dakata on August 16, 2006, 07:08:20 PM
Sid, I'm 14. I'm not suppose to understand things you stinkin' adults are suppose to understand. :P That, and I'm a sleepy dragon.

And I think names on the Online users thing stay on for like 20 minutes. :B Just sayin'.

Yes, but 20 minutes can be a long time :P

And I'm 25. I'm supposed to be one of those stinkin' adults.
>_> ... <_< ... >_>
BUT I REFUSE! D:
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional! ;)

topher chee

i just got that too, disgusting

Dakata

You're not suppose to refuse, Sid! D: You're suppose to deal with it! Like other stinkin' adults!

[off-topic]
(And BTW, I sort of have a right to be paranoid. :/ I think. I'm one of those lazy people who use the same password for everything and I was unable to change the password for my site (My host was updating something.) and stuff so the hacker could've easily messed up my stuff. Or he/she could've just taken it, and...yeah. The URL for my site is on all of my art and the hacker could've just stole it all or something. I would've probably deserved it for being a bum though. XP)
[/off-topic]

Rowne

I agree wholeheartedly with that, Sid.  So much so that I could be ready for the rubber room any day now.

Oh and I'm not surprised by the spam, it's a bit of a domino-effect really.  When one person makes an act like this, it gives other shady figures the courage to trample anonymously over groups of people like this.  I've seen it on other forums in the past.

Iono why anyone would want to take a forum down or spam it anyway, it doesn't make me angry in the least but it does make me sad.  It's such a waste of life, that person could be learning to do something worthwhile, such as playing a guitar.  That's much more fun than hacking forums or spamming.

Still, hurrah for the frequent backups.  That and the fact that I have Slogger fully logging every page I go to, ever.  Which eventually finds its way into a permanent backup.  Yay Slogger!

bill

They're spambots, Rowne, remember that they have no souls.

Sid

Quote from: Rowne on August 16, 2006, 07:31:21 PM
Still, hurrah for the frequent backups.  That and the fact that I have Slogger fully logging every page I go to, ever.  Which eventually finds its way into a permanent backup.  Yay Slogger!

*googles* Ohhh, interesting, I should give that a try soon... thanks for mentioning it! :)

Quote from: Dakata on August 16, 2006, 07:27:57 PM
You're not suppose to refuse, Sid! D: You're suppose to deal with it! Like other stinkin' adults!

Ha! In your face, reality! :P

Rowne

What we need is a good Cybermen invasion, then age wouldn't matter much at all.

As for Slogger, glad to help.  I got on the Firefox boat early and I've been following the extension scene ever since.  Lately though I've really felt that my online presence has actually been worth backing up, this forum has been a most enjoyable experience.

Anyway, one other thing I recommend is going to the extensions mirror and checking out just about everything they have!  There's so much more there than on the official Mozilla site.  It's up to you though to judge how safe it is (though checking the code is easy enough with extensions).

Now I'll stop derailing ...  *Cough.*

Shadrok

Quote from: Sid on August 16, 2006, 07:37:26 PM
Quote from: Dakata on August 16, 2006, 07:27:57 PM

Ha! In your face, reality! :P

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Tiger_T

Uhm, Bill?
Everyone got those two PM's AFAIK.

Could you please edit your post to disable those URL's so the spambot does not archive the goal it came here for?

Thanks.
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Damaris

Okay.  I've changed registration to admin approval only, and will be leaving it as such for a few days.  Tell your friends, neighbors, and pets.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Azlan

Quote from: Damaris on August 16, 2006, 08:28:20 PM
Okay.  I've changed registration to admin approval only, and will be leaving it as such for a few days.  Tell your friends, neighbors, and pets.

My cat is okay with that, my neighbor threw some very dirty spanish swear words at me...

On a side note, I always knew that Bill Clinton was bad... no one believed me... this proves it!  Mwahahahhaa!
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Netami

You know, that penis wasnt even very cool looking.

Dakata

I don't have any friends that would care, my neighbours are trying to sleep and I have no pets. :U

*Gasp!* Is Abraham Lincoln bad too, Azzie?! D:

...'Tami, you're a perv. :U

So what kind of trouble is B.C. in, Dammy? He better be in alot of trouble. He sent a nekkid picture to a 14 year old! :U And there's a 13 year old member on here too.

Azlan

Neni has informed me of a few female anatomy parameters and managed to mention that successful use of it could likely impale.

Netami

He was a mindless penis drone, he didn't come here for any other reason but to show everyone that and then leave. Kind've like *Insert name of someone I dont like*.

thegayhare

Quote from: Netami on August 16, 2006, 09:02:42 PM
Kind've like *Insert name of someone I dont like*.

But Netami...
I realy don't show mine off, and I'll never leave you
*nuzzles*

sorry I'm feeling silly

topher chee

Quote from: Netami on August 16, 2006, 08:56:41 PM
You know, that penis wasnt even very cool looking.

penises arent cool looking period

Azlan

Quote from: thegayhare on August 16, 2006, 09:34:25 PM

But Netami...
I realy don't show mine off, and I'll never leave you
*nuzzles*

sorry I'm feeling silly

Now, now, be good bunny boy.

Destina Faroda

So that explains the new PMs...
Sig coming...whenever...

Damaris

Don't worry, Dakata.  He is banned until the day after the end of time.

I'm also looking into reporting his IP address to his ISP.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

xHaZxMaTx

Woohoo! Banned from the internet! :compbash