Miss Mab + Tailsteak - How to fail at Webcomics Panel - Condition Red 2011

Started by Sofox, July 29, 2011, 06:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofox

Link to the video right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj_JfEh9YFk

It's actually a really good panel (not that that's surprising), there's a lot of energy, fun, antics, great pace and and of course they know their stuff and it comes across.
One thing I really like is how they're not didactic or lay down rules; they realise what worked for them (or didn't) mightn't be the same for other people and just give an overview of various webcomic scenarios that tend to repeat themselves. It's different from a lot of online "Advice for aspiring webcomic creators" posts that tend to be thinly disguised rant attacks on amateur webcomics; for instance it was really refreshing to have Amber and Mason say that Mary Sue characters could be used well. I certainly find them fun and know of one instance where a fun character was ruined by the creator trying to make them less of a Mary Sue.
Anyway, the panel's more targeted towards those making or thinking of making a webcomic, but it's fun for everyone so check it out.

Lisky

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Inumo

Comments as I watched:

... Why was "What's a Nubian?" even asked?

Moreover, what was the second shooting spree (at about the 36:50 mark) about?

At about the 41-minute mark, it mentions something about Tailsteak's shirt...? Didn't quite catch what that was about.

The last Nerf barrage was quite hilarious, but I also have no idea what that was about either... I'm guessing someone here decided to pull a Nerf raid on the panel? Maybe Mab and Tailsteak should bring one of those belt-fed nerf guns next time; I know you can hook 'em up to a car battery for even faster firing.

After watching:

Awesome panel. It was interesting to hear their views on making webcomics, and was something I didn't mind sitting through when there were other things to do (which is rare). I found myself agreeing with most of the points they made, especially about the friends' characters and fans. And the haters. That was rather amusing to hear.

bradypodidae

I have a friend about to launch (yet another) webcomic. I shall suggest he watch this as it covers some things we have discussed.

The sad thing? There is someone out there he talks to that isn't waiting for the comic to start to be a hater. He is already attacking my friend's webcomic and hating it.

Thanks for posting this.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

TheDXM

This is great!

I think the best thing to hear there was the part about how to know if you have failed = If you do not want to continue to do it any more.

I think the advice relating to how comics also do not really provide one a source of alternative income is also very important.
Ͼ ♂ Ͽ

Gabi

~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Drayco84

Quote from: Basilisk on July 29, 2011, 07:21:03 PM
I was the second person to get shot :3
"What do you feel about selling out your audience?" That's what YOU asked? Or were you the one asking whatever it was about her virginity?

Either way, maybe Amber oughta bring a Titan next time instead of the Maverick...

llearch n'n'daCorna

I think my favourite part is the bit at the very end where Amber is playing with the darts behind the table. *grin*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Lisky

Quote from: Drayco84 on August 01, 2011, 02:59:57 PM
Quote from: Basilisk on July 29, 2011, 07:21:03 PM
I was the second person to get shot :3
"What do you feel about selling out your audience?" That's what YOU asked? Or were you the one asking whatever it was about her virginity?

Either way, maybe Amber oughta bring a Titan next time instead of the Maverick...

Someone is clearly out of the loop XD

I asked her about selling out her audience.  <.<

She sold my name... to llearch... who then changed my name to "Slut Puppy" which has sparked a bit of a phenomenon.  

Suffice to say... it's lulzy and was meant to be treated as such :P

Also, it wasn't about virginity, it was "what's a Nubian" XD which... is a reoccurring joke you'll have to ask her about

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->