17/12/2010 [PF #149] ~ Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen!

Started by Gabi, December 17, 2010, 03:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

Considering how you haven't given the mongoose a name, I'd say the odds are pretty strongly against him. ;)

[Note: I try to base my comments on the comic alone. With an occasional DMFA reference.]
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Gabi on December 17, 2010, 03:30:10 PM
Considering how you haven't given the mongoose a name, I'd say the odds are pretty strongly against him. ;)
The mongoose's name is Kristian. I know it because he is a character from an old story of mine. :P

..No, that does not tip the scales in his favour. :B

joshofspam

That suit reminds me what the big guy from Resident Evil 2 or Nemesis had on.

Keaton needs to pick her grudges better.  I think she might be a little out of her depth in taking on Daryil. What ever she has against him must be pretty bad or is it the connection to his current lover that's got Keaton sending assassin's after him?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: joshofspam on December 17, 2010, 04:17:36 PM

Keaton needs to pick her grudges better.  I think she might be a little out of her depth in taking on Daryil. What ever she has against him must be pretty bad or is it the connection to his current lover that's got Keaton sending assassin's after him?
She wants to take out Daryil to make it easier to take over Jakob's operations. And she does not take Daryil seriously, thinking of him as an upstart with no real power to speak off. Because, really, he is a total goofball; it tends to confuse people. :B

joshofspam

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 17, 2010, 04:26:54 PM
Quote from: joshofspam on December 17, 2010, 04:17:36 PM

She wants to take out Daryil to make it easier to take over Jakob's operations. And she does not take Daryil seriously, thinking of him as an upstart with no real power to speak off. Because, really, he is a total goofball; it tends to confuse people. :B

Ah, so it's to make it easier to get what she's after from Jakob.

Wow. She certainly is thinking ahead. Though she must have just glanced through that part of the report that mentioned him and his clan almost annihilating another clan. :rolleyes

Hey it can get dull reading through all the parts about silliness and you can miss one massacre written about at the end.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: joshofspam on December 17, 2010, 04:45:32 PM

Wow. She certainly is thinking ahead. Though she must have just glanced through that part of the report that mentioned him and his clan almost annihilating another clan. :rolleyes

Hey it can get dull reading through all the parts about silliness and you can miss one massacre written about at the end.

But if she succeeds in taking out the clan leader, the clan will essentially collapse. She has the power of an intelligence agency under her control. Spy networks, professional assassins - who most definitely have ways of taking out Creatures when needed; she can pressure other Being organisations to aid her in some way. It may be hard for her to get at the clan that scorned her with those resources, but if she acquires the technologies developed by Jakob, she will be one step closer to her revenge. One large step.

joshofspam

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 17, 2010, 04:54:25 PM

But if she succeeds in taking out the clan leader, the clan will essentially collapse. She has the power of an intelligence agency under her control. Spy networks, professional assassins - who most definitely have ways of taking out Creatures when needed; she can pressure other Being organisations to aid her in some way. It may be hard for her to get at the clan that scorned her with those resources, but if she acquires the technologies developed by Jakob, she will be one step closer to her revenge. One large step.

And it isn't like she is at actual risk for trying it.

At best she succeeds. At worst she'll have to come up with a new plan around Daryil. Nothing like taking bets with low commitment and high payoffs, right?

Naldru

Well, Keaton can kill Kristian while he tries to kill Daryll.  That way, she can ask for Daryll for assistance as a favor for saving his life.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Madmann135

We are talking about the same Daryil right?  
The same Daryil who is intentionally a crouching moron hidden badass.  
The guy who nearly single handed wiped out a clan after they killed his love?  ...and to this day the clan fears him because of it.
The guy who is willingly in prison because he does not want to cause problems as a result of his latest escapades.
The guy who SCARES JOHN CROSS!!!

... his guise as a moron is super effective.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Naldru on December 17, 2010, 05:55:38 PM
Well, Keaton can kill Kristian while he tries to kill Daryll.  That way, she can ask for Daryll for assistance as a favor for saving his life.
For her, it is easier to get rid of Daryil altogether than to try negotiating with him.

Shachza

I'd like to place a 400 Wampum bet on mongoose person ending up in bed with and married to one of Daryil's guards while Daryil passes out at the secret lab from wedding cake overdose.
            <-- #1 that is!

Sind

Now what if the mongoose dude we've never seen before actually is Daryil, but in disguise?
Quite the dilemma, no?

((And most importantly, it would raise the question "would both or neither bets win?" =P))

llearch n'n'daCorna

Given Keaton, I suspect she saved it for later use re-reading it, uh, in private.

With tissues. And some KY.

*cough*

Quote from: Sind on December 17, 2010, 07:42:28 PM
Now what if the mongoose dude we've never seen before actually is Daryil, but in disguise?
Quite the dilemma, no?

((And most importantly, it would raise the question "would both or neither bets win?" =P))

Oh, the bets won't win unless one of them kills the other. Since they're both the same guy... does that count as suicide, or not?

Besides, I can see Daryil dying and leaving a pretty corpse.

... and then wandering past and putting flowers on his own grave, along with using the shovel to bury his own body, then digging himself out of the hole later and rising as a zombie, just for kicks...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 18, 2010, 07:13:10 AM
... and then wandering past and putting flowers on his own grave, along with using the shovel to bury his own body, then digging himself out of the hole later and rising as a zombie, just for kicks...
"I'll call him ZombieMe."

NykVerien

Daryil will win of course. Think Mab and all other Fey when talking about goofball type people.

AmigaDragon

They must not be keeping Daryil under surveillance if they haven't noticed his occasional absences. Is Keatford (Ashton?) really out to get Daryil or getting rid of Kris?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: AmigaDragon on December 18, 2010, 02:37:54 PM
They must not be keeping Daryil under surveillance if they haven't noticed his occasional absences. Is Keatford (Ashton?) really out to get Daryil or getting rid of Kris?

Either that or Daryil is just very good at spoofing the surveillance...

Tapewolf

In other news, I've updated Niall's cast page picture, since the old one was basically Nilson with Jakob's wings glued on him.
You might need to refresh the page for it to show, xepher.net is a bit weird like that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Nice picture!

But now I've re-read the cast page and... if Niall is biologically Jakob's great-great-grandson, doesn't that mean the Cubi gene went dormant for 3 generations?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on December 19, 2010, 02:58:17 PM
Nice picture!

But now I've re-read the cast page and... if Niall is biologically Jakob's great-great-grandson, doesn't that mean the Cubi gene went dormant for 3 generations?

I was debating whether to break canon with the original CJP series and retcon it.  It always seemed like a bit of a frig, even more so in view of DMFA genetics that weren't public when that bit was originally written.

JamesCray

Three hundred quatloos on someone ending up in a horribly embarrassing situation before this is out.
I wish the real world would just stop hassling me.
"I work in Fringe Division. Weird is a matter of degrees."

VAE

What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Tapewolf

Quote from: VAE on December 22, 2010, 07:42:02 AM
XD
New Kunda again....

...You know, I woke up one night realising I needed to change that.  Then fell asleep again.
If I can remote into the mac, I'll fix it tonight.  Otherwise, bug me again on the 30th when I get home...

AmberCross

Wait... wait, wait, wait. Someone explain this for me:

I figured Tapewolf was the maker of PF due to his siggie, but Ren Gaulan's the one answering all these questions. Are you guys co-creators? Does Tapewolf just have a misleading siggie? Is Ren Gaulan just particularly knowledgeable about this comic? Something else entirely, what?

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmberCross on December 23, 2010, 02:34:09 AM
I figured Tapewolf was the maker of PF due to his siggie, but Ren Gaulan's the one answering all these questions. Are you guys co-creators? Does Tapewolf just have a misleading siggie? Is Ren Gaulan just particularly knowledgeable about this comic? Something else entirely, what?

I'm the writer, colourist and backdrop guy.  Ren draws the bulk of the comic and without him it would not be what it is today.

As a rule I've often found it difficult to draw the line between explaining enough in the forum, and giving things away/ruining speculation.  Lately I've been a bit more aloof which is how Amber does things in Lost Lake.

Meanwhile, Ren, having seen the script, has been filling in the gaps.  Sometimes these are gaps because I'm content to let people guess, sometimes its because I would have answered but he got in first.

Chances are I will be even more aloof over the next few days, being with family for Christmas :3

EDIT:
Also, for the benefit of our Czech readers, I did manage to remote into home last night, no more 'New Kunda'.  I doubt it's the last time I'll forget to fix that, though.  Ah, the curse of changing a name after the script is written...

Gabi

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on December 23, 2010, 11:35:02 AM
What's New Kunda?

It's a town that Daryil has been known to plague with his practical jokes.  It turns up quite a bit in the story.  The problem is it means something vulgar in Czech (but apparently not Russian or Ren would have noticed) so it's been changed to something else in the comic.

Except that it still says it in the script and since it's split across many files it will be a big problem to track them all down.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 23, 2010, 02:19:25 PM
... You mean you haven't run across grep -ilr ?

No, I haven't.  I have three different, incompatible implementations of grep so I rarely use anything more complex than '-i'.  In this case, the question is, will those switches also work on BSD?

And can grep handle unicode?  (Haven't looked at the format internally, it might just be XML).  For the main script I can just do an in-file search, when I remember.

The big problem is that I usually use a 'printer-friendly' copy of the 'Future History' thread for reference, which of course has the original name in it.  I have at least three copies of it, all on different machines.  Hence why this mess has propagated.

llearch n'n'daCorna

really? Interesting. Are we talking Net-, Free-, or Open-?

Those are from the Gnu grep, so they should be compatible with others; the only grep I've run across that isn't is the solaris one, but I'll have to admit not having spent much time working on BSD. As for unicode? I'm not sure, I haven't had any files that really are unicode - just something that says it's unicode, without actually being anything other than latin-1...

I spose it depends on what format they're in, as well. If word documents, a suitable application of catdoc might help, too.