10/10/2010 [DMFA #1154] - Sup

Started by RandomMetaphysics, October 10, 2010, 03:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shachza

Quote from: AmigaDragon on October 11, 2010, 07:47:03 PM
Quote from: Shachza on October 11, 2010, 11:34:36 AM
Everyone's racking up the negative karma.   :B

Really? EVERYONE? I almost never look at that unless someone says something about it.

You should look at them occasionally.  There's a lot of negative karma in here.  Must be a lot of ladders, mirrors, and black cats in the closet over there.
            <-- #1 that is!

Anker Steadfast

Well, either that or the mods are having fun with dealing out bad karma.
Offcourse, next thing you know, they'll start giving out *positive* karma ... just to be difficult!  :giggle

Well, not to me obviously, but ..
Perhaps Mao could gain some good karma to offset all that negative karma he has.

Ah well, it's just numbers.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Starcat5

llearch: Well, I finally gave this thread a second look through and noticed your post. All I will say on the matter is that I am very disappointed in all parties involved: myself, the admins, any random forumgoers who were in on this, and whoever thought the karma system was a good idea for this board in the first place. **** like this is the reason I lurk more than I post, both online and iRL. I take a book to read at social events, for dog's sake.

...and on a completely unrelated note, how DO you get your avatar to do that random picture thing?
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: starcat5 on October 12, 2010, 05:50:02 PM
llearch: Well, I finally gave this thread a second look through and noticed your post. All I will say on the matter is that I am very disappointed in all parties involved: myself, the admins, any random forumgoers who were in on this, and whoever thought the karma system was a good idea for this board in the first place. **** like this is the reason I lurk more than I post, both online and iRL. I take a book to read at social events, for dog's sake.
The karma system is a default thing. If we cared enough, we'd go remove it, but it amuses some folks. It's a shame you're not one of them.

I'm at a loss as to quite why you're disappointed, though. Did you expect a popularity contest to work in your favour or something? This seems an odd thing to expect, given your self-professed lack of social skills.

...and on a completely unrelated note, how DO you get your avatar to do that random picture thing?

Quite well, I thought. If you search the forum, you can find the php script I run, since hapless very kindly re-wrote a cgi script into PHP for me - not something I couldn't do myself, but it would have taken me longer, due to being busy with other things that keep a roof over my family's collective heads. Also I suspect he's better at PHP than I am...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

oh i dunno, i think the karma system is working perfectly, just not in the way you think  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Mao

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on October 12, 2010, 07:40:50 AM
Well, either that or the mods are having fun with dealing out bad karma.
Offcourse, next thing you know, they'll start giving out *positive* karma ... just to be difficult!  :giggle

Ha!  Not bloody likely.

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on October 12, 2010, 07:40:50 AM
Well, not to me obviously, but ..
Perhaps Mao could gain some good karma to offset all that negative karma he has.

Ah well, it's just numbers.

That's always been my take on it.  Just some numbers on a screen with no real value or substance due to how susceptible to abuse they are.

Sorry to butt in, but you're taking this waaaaay too seriously.  The karma system is a joke.  We've hinted at this a few times.  We've clarified many times in the past that it's not to be taken seriously and even gone so far as to abuse each other's (the mods) ratings to show that it isn't serious.  For cripes sake, Darkmoon has over -10k.. and it's his board!  So just take a deep breath, look at this calmly and realize that there's nothing to be upset about.  Cripes, I got about 3k over night because Darkmoon, Damaris and Amber were bored and amused by my suggestion that I could rake up negative karma faster than llearch given the opportunity from folks who took this stuff too seriously (which, btw, I did).

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mao Laoren on October 13, 2010, 07:35:19 AM
Sorry to butt in, but you're taking this waaaaay too seriously.  The karma system is a joke.  We've hinted at this a few times.  We've clarified many times in the past that it's not to be taken seriously and even gone so far as to abuse each other's (the mods) ratings to show that it isn't serious.  For cripes sake, Darkmoon has over -10k.. and it's his board!  So just take a deep breath, look at this calmly and realize that there's nothing to be upset about.  Cripes, I got about 3k over night because Darkmoon, Damaris and Amber were bored and amused by my suggestion that I could rake up negative karma faster than llearch given the opportunity from folks who took this stuff too seriously (which, btw, I did).

Technically, it's Damaris' board, not Darkmoons'. Not that that detracts from your argument in any way.

... loser. :-P

Mao

You're so mean to me, box.. but I just can't quit you.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Naldru

Over on some of the Microsoft forums, they give the equivalent of karma for answering questions and giving helpful advice.  One fellow was complaining that because of the time zone he was in, all the questions were being answered before he got to see him.  (I assume that he meant easy questions.)  The responses he received were far more biting than those of Mao and llearch.

On the other hand, I wonder what a biting remark from Fa'Lina would be like.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Anker Steadfast

LionHeart

"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Sunblink

Quote from: Mao Laoren on October 13, 2010, 07:35:19 AM

Adding onto this, I think most people here are smart enough to realize that a number on a screen isn't a good judge of character. So if starcat5 is somehow worried that, uh, everybody will stop liking him because he has over -100 karma, that's just silly. :I

SilentSoror

Everyone should take a que from Mao and the box. everything on the internet is just for funzies unless you are desprete or crazy.  I'm sure the mods enjoy what little awesome power comes from being able to slap down those who so foolishly behave in an unagreeable manner.  Yet in person I imagine them to less so pyromanic with their tongue when complete strangers address them or nearby targets.

Feel free to express yourself and stir up what you will but don't take it so hard.  I'm sure the mods don't lose sleep over you, no reason for you to be so defluffed over this.  :)

Ahhh .... Huggles for everyone!

Mao

Only way I lose sleep over the forum is if I stay up hitting f5 all night because something lulzy is happening and I just can't miss it.

Anker Steadfast

On a sidenote, it's not called Karma anymore !
And Mao is in the positive now !
Something good came of it.

:)

LionHeart

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on October 15, 2010, 09:19:12 PM
On a sidenote, it's not called Karma anymore !
The admins change it when they get bored.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Sunblink

Oh god, all we need now is for both buttons to add to your negative karma.

Everyone loses. Literally.

Anker Steadfast

No no, according to numbers I suck and you loose !

:D