27/07/2010 [DMFA #1130] - We're walking in the aiiir...

Started by Tapewolf, July 27, 2010, 02:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mao

Quote from: PantheraLeo on July 29, 2010, 08:26:26 PM
I think it's meant to be a joke that rats are everywhere or a little like Monte Python's Spanish Inquisition. ("No body expects the Spanish Inquisition!") Given the fact the 'party' arrived at the academy though some long tunnel or labyrinth that was suspiciously empty and had the 'red carpet roll out' (the path was marked) I don't think it was some tiny feat to just 'arrive' there.

Maybe, but I'd say it's more likely that rats simply are every where.  Think of real life rats, damn things can even find their way into maximum security prisons and those places are locked up tight.  Despite Fa'lina's omnipotence, she is *not* all powerful.  She can't manage everything, nor can she watch everything at once nor be omnipresent.  There are things that will slip by her.  I'd say the rats are one that it would be too much work to prevent for too little reward.  Beyond that, even being able to foresee something does not grant one the ability to prevent it.  Though I see you acknowledge that later in your post.  She can't do it all, but she's got one heck of a set of tricks to help. :)

During Fi'Lina's description of clan Cira Siar to Able, I image the physical location of the academy is not in question, only the means to access it. #56 That and given Bengahl access in what I assume is the same academy in 'The Foxfire Chronicles' I'm guessing the academy is not defended as a absolute. 2008-02-18.

Incorrect.  The 'cubi of Foxfire Chronicles are unrelated to the ones in DMFA, only inspired by them (Additionally, it takes place on both Earth and Ariannia, not Furrae).  Turnsky himself has said this many times.  There are cameos of Dan and Abel, yes, but that was more a joke than a continuity nod.  Heck, he's even got a fellow that looks suspiciously like Aniz who gets smacked in the face with a frying pan.  Again, a cameo and just a joke.  Either way, a suggestion:  If it isn't DMFA, don't use it as a reference for theories on DMFA.  Other comics have their own writers who, while they may get some feed back from Amber, are not Amber and do not write for DMFA.

I suspect Fi'Lina's ability to see the future just (kept/keeps) it's defense(s) one step ahead of any incursion, not some omnipotent defense.
Agreed.

Rambon

Quote from: Mao Laoren on July 29, 2010, 09:47:23 PM

Maybe, but I'd say it's more likely that rats simply are every where.  Think of real life rats, damn things can even find their way into maximum security prisons and those places are locked up tight.  Despite Fa'lina's omnipotence, she is *not* all powerful.  She can't manage everything, nor can she watch everything at once nor be omnipresent.  There are things that will slip by her.  I'd say the rats are one that it would be too much work to prevent for too little reward.  Beyond that, even being able to foresee something does not grant one the ability to prevent it.  Though I see you acknowledge that later in your post.  She can't do it all, but she's got one heck of a set of tricks to help. :)

That or they make for good practice targets.

PantheraLeo

Quote from: Mao Laoren on July 29, 2010, 09:47:23 PM

Incorrect.  The 'cubi of Foxfire Chronicles are unrelated to the ones in DMFA, only inspired by them (Additionally, it takes place on both Earth and Ariannia, not Furrae).  Turnsky himself has said this many times.  There are cameos of Dan and Abel, yes, but that was more a joke than a continuity nod.  Heck, he's even got a fellow that looks suspiciously like Aniz who gets smacked in the face with a frying pan.  Again, a cameo and just a joke.  Either way, a suggestion:  If it isn't DMFA, don't use it as a reference for theories on DMFA.  Other comics have their own writers who, while they may get some feed back from Amber, are not Amber and do not write for DMFA.

*Dramatically faked offensive!* Fine! I can't read everything everywhere in a day ... :)

Thank you, sir, it is so noted. Good to know. Given the links between 'Project Future' and 'The Firefox Chronicles' sites and charter frameworks it does lead one to think the authors worked in concert. (I wondered how Fi'Lina had a kid, and why the kid was gothic in nature.)

Edit: That, and I assumed Furrae was a continent on Ariannia. Much the say way Faerun or other 'Forgotten Realms' were all almost all part of the world of Toril.
Absolute brutal honesty with a hint of empathy is my policy, please contact my manager for returns.

Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, is it not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Mao

No, though I do believe they're all on friendly terms, they do their own things in terms of stories.  Also:  I'm not sure who this child of Fa'lina is, but then, I can't read everything either.

With regards to the Furrae on Ariannia, I believe Turnsky has said it would fit, physically and that it would even work in terms of most of the magic and species and such, but one would have to change to accommodate the other.  I personally would not want to see either change.  Nor can I see their respective writers/artists wanting to change either.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Drathorin on July 27, 2010, 02:09:52 PMOr planes could fly at upwords of 20,000 feet. Where most living creatures don't have enough oxygen to breathe.

Interestingly enough, the Bar-Headed Goose has been spotted at a height of 33,382 feet, and then offcourse there's a Ruppell's Griffon, a vulture with a wingspan of about 10 feet, that got sucked into a Jet Engine at 36,100 feet above the Ivory Coast in november 1975. So they are up there.

Add in Magic, and I could easily see lots of flying beings at extreme altitudes. :)

Quote from: PantheraLeo on July 29, 2010, 08:47:49 PMThat's the idea. She, Fi'Lina, is the "omnipotent" defense. Not that there was some 'wall' no one could clime, or no way to tunnel though. It's that any attempt was foreseen and blocked by some means. Fi'Lina never said or even hinted Hizell couldn't find the academy. Only that he could not enter it.

I kinda like this idea, that dragons gave up on pursuing cubi in the Academy because Fa'Lina is there.
However, I think it's doubtful that she's *that* powerful.

But never say never. :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

PantheraLeo

Quote from: Mao Laoren on July 29, 2010, 11:22:57 PM
Also:  I'm not sure who this child of Fa'lina is, but then, I can't read everything either.

Nor can I see their respective writers/artists wanting to change either.

Lady Milnea is whom I assumed the child was, being the 'leader' of 'The Foxfire Chronicles's academy and claim "made promise to her to look after you two" (Whom at the time I assumed could only be Fi'Lina, and whom I also assumed would be Milnea's mother for some reason.) when "Daniel" and "Able" make their cameo there.

Nor do I want them to change, but sense I'm already ripping pages out of 'Wizards of the Coast's playbook, they could just as well say something fundamentally catastrophic happened to magic or the world at large to account for discrepancies. Place each story in it's own age.  (Like say Mystral, and Mystra's deaths heralding the "fall of the vale" and the rule changes between the 1rst to 2nd and 3rd to 4th edition D&D rules.)

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on July 29, 2010, 11:45:51 PM

I kinda like this idea, that dragons gave up on pursuing cubi in the Academy because Fa'Lina is there.

Well, she did create a entire plane of existence solely for the academy. I just find it hard the believe that other 'tri-wing' cubi or otherwise equally powerful 'things' can't unmake or breach said plane of existence in a head to head power struggle if that's all there is to it. At this rate, maybe a thread dedicated to the academy, it's staff, and it's lore should be made, as at least I can't seem to stay on topic. *hint* *hint*
Absolute brutal honesty with a hint of empathy is my policy, please contact my manager for returns.

Love is patient, Love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, is it not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Tapewolf

Quote from: terrycloth on July 29, 2010, 08:41:20 PM
I got the impression (from things like Hizell not being able to find it) that it's literally impossible to enter SAIA without Fa'Lina's permission.

That's what her Clan Leader page says, yes.  I imagine that if the rats came along with machine guns or something, they would find the path mysteriously blocked.

QuoteOnce there, there's no particularly omnipotent defense going on, but she knows if you're going to cause trouble and doesn't let you in.

Well, from what Destania was saying late in Abel's Story, Fa'Lina is able to sense trouble and stop it.  She's especially powerful within the Academy and probably doesn't need to be personally present to do that.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 30, 2010, 03:03:46 AM
Quote from: terrycloth on July 29, 2010, 08:41:20 PMI got the impression (from things like Hizell not being able to find it) that it's literally impossible to enter SAIA without Fa'Lina's permission.
That's what her Clan Leader page says, yes.  I imagine that if the rats came along with machine guns or something, they would find the path mysteriously blocked.

Which also means that the rats are smart enough not to be considered enough of a threat to Fa'Lina.
Heck, there might even be merchant rats, that supply stuff to the academy.

As for Hizell, I think it was more a case of him not being able to find the academy, or the academy's entrance in the first place.
I think the main defense for the academy is actually subterfuge of some sort.

Quote from: PantheraLeo on July 30, 2010, 12:46:06 AM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on July 29, 2010, 11:45:51 PMI kinda like this idea, that dragons gave up on pursuing cubi in the Academy because Fa'Lina is there.

Well, she did create a entire plane of existence solely for the academy. I just find it hard the believe that other 'tri-wing' cubi or otherwise equally powerful 'things' can't unmake or breach said plane of existence in a head to head power struggle if that's all there is to it.

Again, if Fa'Lina is so powerful, then why could the dragons destroy her clan ?
At the very least, after they did so, she'd probably have gone on a dragon stomping rampage, but no ... she build an academy instead.

As for creating the plane, well, we don't know if she merely took over one that already existed, or if she had help from someone else.
Heck we don't even know if it's all that hard to do.
It could be that it was very very complicated, but not require all that much in the form of energy.
Sorta like convincing a tree that it's actually a rock.

Which leads me back to the idea that the main defence is subterfuge.
After all, you can't kill what you can't find.

As the Academy grew and garnered acceptance in the cubi society, I can also imagine that some of the other clan leaders, such as Taun, would add to the defences of the Academy, slowly turning it from just being well hidden, into a hidden fortress of Doom! They might even throw chipmunks at you ... Kungfu Chipmunks even !! :eek

Offcourse, this is all hyper-theories and ramblings of a madman ... we would need the word of the author to confirm any of it.
And methinks she's quite happy leaving us to guess, in this case.

:D

Omegan

The rats having access to other basements seems very much like L-Space in Discworld, where dense collections of books create "bookwormholes" that experienced librarians can travel.

Of course I'm sure Fa'lina would know when "guests" come calling to SAIA.
It's that Inherit the Earth guy.

PantheraLeo

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on July 30, 2010, 04:23:45 PM

As for Hizell, I think it was more a case of him not being able to find the academy, or the academy's entrance in the first place. I think the main defense for the academy is actually subterfuge of some sort.

Again, if Fa'Lina is so powerful, then why could the dragons destroy her clan ?
At the very least, after they did so, she'd probably have gone on a dragon stomping rampage, but no ... she build an academy instead.

Hazell at least knew where the academy was. First because it seems public knowledge to all cubi on how to access it. Second, After defeating Siar "...he managed to use Siar's dying essence and link to her clan to track down her entire blood line ..." [1] (Destina subsequently hid Aniz from that ability[2]) Aniz was at the academy at the time, and I'd suspect this "link" was more then a mere mystical GPS system. I don't doubt Hizell at least knew where the academy was. ( Muhaha, every teenagers worst nightmare, Not only does (grand)mother know exactly where you are at all times, she knows exactly what you're doing because she's watching you do it!)

I do agree the academy's primary defense is probably subterfuge and sabotage given Fi'Lina ability to gather intel.

"Again, if Fa'Lina is so powerful, then why could the dragons destroy her clan ?" Two obvious answers. They're just as or more powerful, or Fa'Lina didn't acquire her current power until sometime after this event.

A point to keep in mind, it appears Destania has very probably been a very busy dragon-slayer sometime between her falling out with Fa'Lina and Daniels birth. Given her state when she meets Daniel's father and how Fi'lina reacts to Pyroduck staying at the Lost Lake Inn? Alexsi ,clearly as cast a power to be feared, is flicked aside by her mother, yet something more powerful has her collapsed on her knees at some point in the past. [3][4][5] Mayhaps they're no long the super power they where?

As for Fa'Lina going on a "dragon stomping rampage"? She may have, all that's said is she was betrayed by Hizell, her clan died, and returns sometime later with the idea of the academy.[6]

What she did during this time or when she acquired 'tri-wing' status is never specified. (Edit: Dragon's taste good?)

[1] http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_056.php Second frame, second paragraph.
[2] http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Ab_058.php Second frame, first paragraph.
[3] http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_297.php First frame.
[4] http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_729.php Second frame.
[5] http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_936.php Second frame.
[6] http://www.missmab.com/Cast/falina.php Second paragraph, second and third sentences.

Yes, the bibliography is super nerdy to include, but I did already link some of that information, so I thought perhaps a direct approach would be helpful.(Btw, the archive page links to Able's story are off by one.) Now, unless I messed up you now how to argue with the great and powerful creator of DMFA, "The Amber" to say otherwise. :P

Amber Williams

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 31, 2010, 01:57:48 AM

Crap. That means that everything and anything can be changed in a moment for the stupidest reasons. Hannah could suddenly turn out to be Joss Whedon and alive if it would be funny enough! Dan is actually an amnesiac Aniz. The dragons are just figments of everyone's imagination! And Fluffy is actually identical twins of opposite gender who swap every panel! *throws hands and comic panels up in the air* The concept of canon has failed me! Nooooooo! Aaaaaaaugh! *runs screaming in madness*

Seriously, a part of me has long come to the conclusion that - barring some horrible coincidence - you're going to surprise us, Amber, so while we can enjoy our deep analysis there's also the fact that the analysis is not canon in and of itself. Then again, considering your disclaimer... Amber, do you change the plot whenever one of us guesses too closely to your long-term plan?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

PantheraLeo

Quote from: Jairus on July 31, 2010, 03:35:37 AM
... Then again, considering your disclaimer... Amber, do you change the plot whenever one of us guesses too closely to your long-term plan?

Blast! My evil minds games to start a fan boy death squad, turn them into to campaign of terror to take over Middle Earth, and manipulate the plot to my own evil whims is revealed!

I mean ... errr ... Wow, that's a pretty banner! *runs away*

It's not my fault I like to anylize analyze things obsessively and the comic makes sense. If you don't like the attention, stop making sense! :P

Amber Williams

I never change the storyline if someone is close to predicting it or has it figured out in their speculation.   The simple fact of the matter is that so many speculate and theorize so many things that it is inevitable someone is going to get it right.  The most I've ever done is fix up loose ends that I myself had overlooked that some readers pointed out in speculation.  I'm an imperfect critter so if I see a blaring mistake in the storyrails, I will usually try to correct it.  However it doesn't really change the storyline itself.

The disclaimer is more or less a reminder that at the end of the day, DMFA is supposed to entertain.  And while I try to keep things continuity reasonable...there are times when a joke is meant to just be something funny and not taken seriously or thought too deeply into.  People are free to if they want, but I have had a few people get somewhat dissapointed in emails when they found out that I did a particular gag or thing...because I thought it was funny and not because there was deeper meanings behind it.

Mao

Quote from: PantheraLeo on July 31, 2010, 04:37:38 AM
Blast! My evil minds games to start a fan boy death squad, turn them into to campaign of terror to take over Middle Earth, and manipulate the plot to my own evil whims is revealed!

It's not my fault I like to anylize analyze things obsessively and the comic makes sense. If you don't like the attention, stop making sense! :P

Could you do me a favor?  Could you gear down the attempts to be random and wacky some?  It's less endearing than you think.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the rules state that it's not really encouraged.

PantheraLeo

Quote from: Mao Laoren on July 31, 2010, 06:14:04 AM
Quote from: PantheraLeo on July 31, 2010, 04:37:38 AM

Could you do me a favor?  Could you gear down the attempts to be random and wacky some?  It's less endearing than you think.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the rules state that it's not really encouraged.

QuoteFirst off: While the DMFA section is slightly different, keep in mind all the normal forum rules.  No harrassing, no pointless stupidity, no racial slurs.   Try to present yourselves as intelligent posters since you are ultimately a reflection of the comic itself.  If you look bad, I look bad.

Is that the rule you refer to? If you have any problems with me just send me a private message next time. I can't promise to be happy, but If I'm not respectful I can promise that I will apologies for not being so. At the very least I will always at least attempt to make amends.

I'll go away for a few days sense it offends your sensibilities; However, sadly, no, being pointless silly and irreverent is a charter flaw of mine. I'm happy to be respectful when asked or if offend someone (I'm a "bleeding heart" in that respect), but that's not a favor physically within my power to grant. My 'wacky' (Though I'd call it irreverent and/or childish.) sense of humor is simply to ingrained in my charter to suppress. Sanity demands I have a sense of humor and mine is bi-polar.

I spend too much time compulsiveness examining my self or the world around me not to set it all a side and play the fool. Pride is for the suicidal.

Mao

Quote from: PantheraLeo on July 31, 2010, 06:41:57 AM
Is that the rule you refer to? If you have any problems with me just send me a private message next time. I can't promise to be happy, but If I'm not respectful I can promise that I will apologies for not being so. At the very least I will always at least attempt to make amends.

I'll go away for a few days sense it offends your sensibilities; However, sadly, no, being pointless silly and irreverent is a charter flaw of mine. I'm happy to be respectful when asked or if offend someone (I'm a "bleeding heart" in that respect), but that's not a favor physically within my power to grant. My 'wacky' (Though I'd call it irreverent and/or childish.) sense of humor is simply to ingrained in my charter to suppress. Sanity demands I have a sense of humor and mine is bi-polar.

I spend too much time compulsiveness examining my self or the world around me not to set it all a side and play the fool. Pride is for the suicidal.

You don't have to go away, and really that won't make any difference as you'll eventually come back and I'll still be here (as I'm part of the moderation staff), but if you could just try and control yourself some, as you've done in this post, you'll be fine.  I'm not trying to suck the life outta you or tell you not to have a sense of humor, but just to do so in moderation.   Not every post needs to be silly, wacky or over the top.  We get a lot of folks in here who try to do that and well, it gets old fast.

Turnsky

No, though I do believe they're all on friendly terms, they do their own things in terms of stories.  Also:  I'm not sure who this child of Fa'lina is, but then, I can't read everything either.

With regards to the Furrae on Ariannia, I believe Turnsky has said it would fit, physically and that it would even work in terms of most of the magic and species and such, but one would have to change to accommodate the other.  I personally would not want to see either change.  Nor can I see their respective writers/artists wanting to change either.

i've often joked how if Furrae would suddenly pop up in the same universe as Ariannia, how'd that would screw with a few Fanfics, particularly project future.  >:3

However, from my point of view Ariannia's a tad more flexible than Furrae as per setting because it's still largely nascent in the author's mind (i.e: mine). But in all it'd be easier to make a crossover than to park either in the other's universe for canon reasons. Granted a crossover would work better had i an update schedule that ran slightly faster than molasses in Ren's siberian outdoor dunny. :U

Another 'however' is that, when finally compiled enough of a universe setting together, to extend an offer to writers and webcomic authors like Amber to, if they so wished, write their own stories using Ariannia, or even contribute their own little twists and turns in as well.
Such is the premise of my oft-touted "Project Ariannia".

i should really compile a FAQ for that, too.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 31, 2010, 04:38:14 AMI'm an imperfect critter so if I see a blaring mistake in the storyrails, I will usually try to correct it.  However it doesn't really change the storyline itself.

Aww .. I guess that means no Kungfu Chipmunks then. :(

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 31, 2010, 04:38:14 AMThe disclaimer is more or less a reminder that at the end of the day, DMFA is supposed to entertain.

And it is, and it does, and we are grateful for it.
Thank you Amber.

:)

Starcat5

Quote from: Turnsky on July 31, 2010, 08:52:32 AM

i've often joked how if Furrae would suddenly pop up in the same universe as Ariannia, how'd that would screw with a few Fanfics, particularly project future.  >:3

However, from my point of view Ariannia's a tad more flexible than Furrae as per setting because it's still largely nascent in the author's mind (i.e: mine). But in all it'd be easier to make a crossover than to park either in the other's universe for canon reasons. Granted a crossover would work better had i an update schedule that ran slightly faster than molasses in Ren's siberian outdoor dunny. :U

Another 'however' is that, when finally compiled enough of a universe setting together, to extend an offer to writers and webcomic authors like Amber to, if they so wished, write their own stories using Ariannia, or even contribute their own little twists and turns in as well.
Such is the premise of my oft-touted "Project Ariannia".

i should really compile a FAQ for that, too.
Here is a nice work around for you: DMFA is set in a Multi-Verse. Furrae, The Fae Relm, and the Academy are all in different planes of reality. As such, while Ariannia and Furrae may not be able to co-exist on the same planet, they can still be cannon to each other. Given the activity of the Fae, as well as that of a very smart Roo-Rat, contact between these two relms is quite doable.

Mind you, I haven't read your comic yet, so this idea may be too little too late. That said, I felt the need to toss the idea out there, just in case.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Turnsky

Quote from: starcat5 on July 31, 2010, 10:46:23 AM
Here is a nice work around for you: DMFA is set in a Multi-Verse. Furrae, The Fae Relm, and the Academy are all in different planes of reality. As such, while Ariannia and Furrae may not be able to co-exist on the same planet, they can still be cannon to each other. Given the activity of the Fae, as well as that of a very smart Roo-Rat, contact between these two relms is quite doable.

Mind you, I haven't read your comic yet, so this idea may be too little too late. That said, I felt the need to toss the idea out there, just in case.

one would think Jyrras would have a problem with Bengahl borrowing his stuff.  :P

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Keleth

Quote from: Amber Williams on July 31, 2010, 04:38:14 AM
People are free to if they want, but I have had a few people get somewhat dissapointed in emails when they found out that I did a particular gag or thing...because I thought it was funny and not because there was deeper meanings behind it.

Wow, Seriously?

That sounds like a fairly high level of retarded.
Help! I'm gay!