Damaris Appreciation Thread

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, August 03, 2006, 09:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

I know, I know.

I just thought, in light of the various admonitions to move out of various threads, movement of threads, etc etc, we needed to let Damaris (and, by extension, the other Mods also) know how much we appreciate her (and their) moderator styles, and the effort they go to to keep things sane around here :-)

That's a Royal We. You Will Applaud. Now.

*grin*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Paladin Sheppard

Suwako

Thirded  :mowmeep

Darkmoon

heh, this should almost be in Shout Out...

(is tempted to move it just so he can be a dick)

llearch n'n'daCorna

See? There is the forward thinking, active, positive moderator influence rubbing off on you, Dmoon. :-)

Lysander

Hey, you keep order in this chaos, kind of a difficult thing to do. And sometimes you creat just a little. I'd say keep up the good work and random comments. :januscat
TytajLucheek

lucas marcone

i kinda get a feeling this thred was started for brown noseing......  <.<    >.>    but still mods are totally rockin with out them and the fear of bananation all the twinks would run rampent.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Brown-nosing? Well.. I can see how you might get that impression, but no.

I *know* I can't influence the mods by that, anyway. ;-) Besides, if I -was- brown-nosing, I'd be rather less subtle about it :)

I'm tempted to leave an example, but the mods would gut me for littering... *grin*

Darkmoon

I dunno about the others, but I can tell ya I torture brown-nosers. >)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Netami

Wildy

Damaris

awww, thank you.

This just made my day about 700% better.  And after the day I had, I really needed it.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

Don't we all.

I tell ya,  :tohell is looking more and more appropriate, of late :-/

Tiger_T

Yeah.
Thumbs up to the mods.
Thanks for keeping the insanity at random. :laugh
What? I like it that way. :mowtongue
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

ilpalazzo

Rowne

It's time for a completely honest statement!  So hear me out.

There are those that might think that it's wrong for Damaris to move around threads.  However, this isn't like Earth, these are his forums and he might rule them as he pleases.

I'd note that if one intelligently creates threads in the right location, one wouldn't have threads being moved.  I've not had a thread moved to my knowledge and that's why.  It's so easy to just hit the New Thread button and yammer on about any old thing but it's easy to give a little though about where it would be best to place it first.

Even the most anarchistic/communistic types realize the need for organization, after all, telling people that don't really care about your views, your views isn't exactly very efficient, everyone needs to reach a target audience and that's what organization does.

I'd be more for politely pointing out that folks posted something in the wrong area and giving them the chance to either move it themselves or not make that mistake in the future myself but that's just the way I am.  Others might prefer a more proactive stance and if I ever ruled a forum, due to my polite nature it would likely descend into chaos.

Since we can all hear ourselves think, we likely have Damaris to thank for it.

Further, I'd actually applaud him on not deleting threads.  This is something that does irritate me, a lot.  I believe in the internet being a bastion of free speech and if someone says something another doesn't like on a forum, they can always move it out of sight (like the Abandoned Mine, here).  Instead though, many will oblitterate these statements as if they never existed.

That's a bad approach for so many reasons.

Damaris hasn't deleted threads so ... he's pretty damned good in my book.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Rowne on August 05, 2006, 09:25:19 AM
It's time for a completely honest statement!  So hear me out.

There are those that might think that it's wrong for Damaris to move around threads.  However, this isn't like Earth, these are his forums and he might rule them as he pleases.

Much as I'd like to agree with you, I can't - Damaris is a 'she' :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

I don't know what brought this thread up, but I have to concur. The mods on this forum have been doing a great job, using their authority well and not abusing it (except maybe at the beginning of the APF thread, but now they're asking questions there too, so that's alright). They've been helpful to most of us, and showed good ways of dealing with troublemakers, so congratulations.

The only problem with a thread like this is that it's too easy for people to think we're sucking up. I guess that may be an interesting challenge for the mods, to figure out which posts are sincere and which ones are not. But from what I've seen of the members of this forum, most are probably sincere. This isn't like... say... TPM. Don't get me wrong, TPM is great in its own ways and has a few amazing members, but if I compare the complete communities of posters, I like this one better.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Rowne

Mrs. Peacock was a man?!

Oops, it's wrong of me to guess at genders like that.  My apologies to Damaris.

Anyway, I doubt that we'd come across as sucking up, I think the fact of the matter is is that most people here seem sapient enough to realize why that would be a bad thing.

'sides, I just like to call it as I see it.  If the moderators started deleting original threads I'd openly tell them I didn't like their attitude before leaving for good.

As it is, they don't and for that they get my admiration instead.  That's really a make or break point for me.

Lysander

Well if you looks at a shooter game, and see how chaotic it is, that's how things sometimes get here. But when you look at the game for it's beauty, and see things like the designs the chaos creates with say shots that are fired last but are moved to the front in some kind of design, that's what can become of this place.
Chaotic order in the insanity. This is my honesty for the mod. :januscat
TytajLucheek

Damaris

Actually, we have the forum set up so that any thread that is deleted is recycled to the Abandoned Mine.  It has to be deleted from there in order to be gone for good.

Usually, I'm all for politeness when possible, but sometimes the point is recieved faster if it's delievered a little more harshly ;)  Once it looks like thigs are running more smoothly, I'm hoping to be able to be gentler.  I mean, everyone knows that Amber's the real heavy ;)

And yes, I am a girl: http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/6830891/170577

But don't feel bad- several people have already gotten it wrong, and I have been convinced that several guys here were girls. :D

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Damaris on August 05, 2006, 07:04:37 PM
And yes, I am a girl: http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/6830891/170577

It's a fake! It's a fake!

Two reasons: one, no girl on the internet looks that good, and two - well, everybody -knows- that all girls on the internet are actually 50 year old perverted truckers in a cafe in the west end... :-)

*hides*

Damaris

lol, it's from halloween about four years ago, and was taken at a very flattering angle.

Rowne

Now that's what I call tolerance and benevolence from our benefactor, I had personally perceived doom with a side order or strawberries and cream for learchy, there.

I blame my noir mind for this, it was raining and doom was on the menu.

Anyway, I'm still kind of impressed that you have things setup that way, Damaris.  The thing is, I do like the order brought to this place, I actually had a more difficult time on the older forum due to the lack of organization and I freely admit this.  This is due to poor sight, that I'll misread things or skip over them (I've no doubt that everyone has seen me doing both by now).

So amongst the jumble of threads, it was a little difficult to pick out the one that I wanted to reply to.

Surely everyone noticed how I went from making one post occasionally here and there on the old forum to making one hell of a lot of posts here?  Now you all know why.

----

Oh and one other thing to note, I feel that censorship comes from taking the words from another person's mouth, post edits and deletions, one would think that it's actually a show of support to help organize a person's thoughts into areas where they'll be more openly read, recognized and understood.

I'm all for chaos and I love seeing it, we have plenty of that in the games subforum.  It's absolutely beautiful and I agree with Lysander on that.  It's fun watching people being drunk and it's even fun watching Leafar being drunk to see just what the hell he'll post next (one never can guess).

I think that in this case, organization supports the chaos, rather than voiding it and that's all for the better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Rowne on August 07, 2006, 12:41:47 AM
Now that's what I call tolerance and benevolence from our benefactor, I had personally perceived doom with a side order or strawberries and cream for learchy, there.

I blame my noir mind for this, it was raining and doom was on the menu.

That's ok, no blame required - -I- expected doom with a side order of strawberries, although the cream was optional... :-)

Why did you think I was hiding? :-)

Rowne

Hm, maybe it was all an act to put you off guard, so she could hit you with the World's largest custard balloon.

Be paranoid this day ... and look up frequently.

Gabi

That comment llearch made remind me of when Shades and I met. We started poking fun at all the rumors we'd heard about meeting people on the Internet, and how I was supposed to be a guy and he was supposed to be a psychotic mass murderer.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Rowne

Thankfully I think that kind of mentality is less prevalent today.  At least, it is where I happen to live.  I have this almost sage-like status amongst family and friends and I will sit around philosophising or merely discussing things in a Plato-esque way.  One topic, one day was how it was impossible to know what anyone, anywhere in the World was actually like and that it was indecent to cast assumptions and aspersions either way.

Certainly, you've said that that person living three doors down is your friend and a woman but how am I to believe that?  You might just be naive and 'she' might be an overweight male geek with a thing for electric toothbrushes.

I hope the rest of the World has caught up anyway because one can meet some incredibly spiffy and absolutely fascinating people on the 'net if one keeps an open mind.

----

Sorry, just a random tangent there, these things tend to catch my attention and my mind every now and then and I comment on them somewhat out of context, I shouldn't but it's fun.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'd quote PTerry at you, but you've already got the one about open minds in your .sig... :-)

Spiffy and fascinating, sure, but there's also some utterly mad weirdos out there. Having met my fair share of both...