05/16/2010 [DMFA#1119] - Abel just can't get a break

Started by RandomMetaphysics, May 16, 2010, 02:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bjalf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on May 17, 2010, 10:33:05 AM
And where the heck is that "vision based on movement" reference from ?
I feel like I should know this one.

Jurassic Park?

Edit:
And in true Hollywood style, they naturally got it wrong.

QuoteThe reason the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park (the novel) had movement-based vision was because the scientists putting dinosaur DNA together had basically screwed up, filling the bits missing from genes controlling the visual cortex with frog DNA. Frogs really do have movement-based vision. This explanation, along with many, many others, were left out of the film, leaving viewers with the idea that the dinosaurs were really supposed to have such vision naturally, which is of course false.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071124150257AAvQ1hQ

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20060914/ai_n16740191/

Anker Steadfast

Ahh ... but offcourse.

And I just wonder what Hollywood would do if they tried to make a movie version of DMFA ?
Perhaps Abel would get a break then ? :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Bjalf

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on May 17, 2010, 12:24:27 PM
And I just wonder what Hollywood would do if they tried to make a movie version of DMFA ?
It would go something like this.

The problem with DMFA is that there's way too much going on.
- Identity and sexuality crises.
- Good vs. Evil.
- Evil is relative.
- Plans and conspiracies.
- Mad scientist with a secret lair.
- Wars, victims and survivors.
- Racism and homophobia.
- Zombies.

The maximum number of concepts for a typical dumbed-down Hollywood film is 2, maybe 3. So, they'd have to do a Harry Potter, where the movie is barely recognizable from the original story. It'd be much more likely to end up as a weekly TV-series on the Cartoon Network. Imagine Scooby-Doo, but with winged cats instead of dogs.

Drayco84

Quote from: Bjalf on May 17, 2010, 12:55:33 PM
The problem with DMFA is that there's way too much going on.
- Identity and sexuality crises.
- Good vs. Evil.
- Evil is relative.
- Plans and conspiracies.
- Super-cute bishonen scientist with a secret lair.
- Wars, victims and survivors.
- Racism and homophobia.
- Zombies.
Fix'd. And you forgot massive amounts of [edit] slow, carefully crafted [/edit] character interaction. A movie would have Dan sleeping with the most prominent member of the female cast within 30 minutes. (Most likely Mab... Hey, it's what the studio would do, okay?!) Seriously, this thing's a soap opera in a funny comic format AND I CAN'T LOOK AWAY! NOBODY CAN LOOK AWAY! I DARE YOU TO TRY AND LOOK AWAY!

Anyway, maximum social issues for a movie are one to two. If Fox is producing it, ZERO. ZIP. ZILCH. NADA. (I read Eragon, then saw the movie... Yeah, WAY TO DESTROY A PLOT, FOX!)

Mao

Drayco84

It's reasons why a movie made from the comic would suck if Hollywood got their hands on it.

Other than that, I dunno...

Anker Steadfast

I think we got sidetracked by a movie reference that Kattuccino sprouted out, while distracting us with her cute avatar!

Jer-oh-me

Is it strange that what stuck out about the comic to me is that 'favour' was spelled with a U? Now, I'm only saying this next part because it sounds funny to me to say it, but 'Gratuitous Use of U'. I know, I'm fairly inconsistent about sticking to the strictly US English spellings or the other brands, myself. It just struck my funny bone.

Drayco84

Quote from: Jer-oh-me on May 17, 2010, 07:08:09 PM
Is it strange that what stuck out about the comic to me is that 'favour' was spelled with a U? Now, I'm only saying this next part because it sounds funny to me to say it, but 'Gratuitous Use of U'. I know, I'm fairly inconsistent about sticking to the strictly US English spellings or the other brands, myself. It just struck my funny bone.
That thar be British spelling, I tells ye!

Mao

British English is used by quite a few folks.  Canada is among those numbers.

Back to the strip at hand, I have to admit I'm interested to see what Lorenda is asking about here.  Something about Jyrras?  Something about the upcoming Thursday?  Oh how that could go wrong if Abel were to impersonate Dan.  Though it might be a chance for him to meet up with Kria (and possibly Devin) again.

Jer-oh-me

Heh, I was debating whether to add a comment that it seems Amber's going native.

Drayco84

Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 17, 2010, 07:59:26 PM
British English is used by quite a few folks.  Canada is among those numbers.
Yes, including a particularly popular MMORPG that's based in Britain (<- If that's misspelled, blame the forum's spellchecker!) that I've been known to play from time to time. (Teh grinding! Augh! Teh grinding!) Things like "armour", "colour", and etc. barely phase me now because of it.

I was going to use a Scottish accent, but I suck with Scottish-accented text and I was kinda in a rush. I haven't seen most of The Swedish Chef's skits from Muppets to fake an accent with that, either. So, I used pirate.

Back to the strip at hand, I have to admit I'm interested to see what Lorenda is asking about here.  Something about Jyrras?  Something about the upcoming Thursday?  Oh how that could go wrong if Abel were to impersonate Dan.  Though it might be a chance for him to meet up with Kria (and possibly Devin) again.
Really though, I'm just going to wait and see what Lorenda has in mind for a "favor". (Translation: Drayco doesn't have a clue to save his life. Well, except for maybe the theory that Lorenda wants Abel to take HER place, but that's just bizarre and won't make any sense...)

inuhanyo

Lorenda has a Thursday dinner date with mom, and has been instructed to bring Dan.  Obvious reason to be looking for Dan.   She could be wanting Abel to relay a message, she needs to brief Dan fairly soon (not knowing it's too late). 

She knows Abel is a shapeshifter, but I doubt she's thought of asking him to pull a substitution, yet.  And, of course, she doesn't know that Abel detests that kind of thing.

Nino

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 17, 2010, 04:24:24 AM
Quote from: Kattuccino on May 17, 2010, 03:14:12 AM
Abel nooo! Her vision is based on movement!

Oh my god Kattuccino! Stop making adorable avatars! :<
*envy*

NO U

<3<3<3

Edit: oh yeah I guess the line was originally from JP, but the one I was thinking of was Glen's joke in the Family Guy movie =p

Bjalf

Oh how that could go wrong if Abel were to impersonate Dan.  Though it might be a chance for him to meet up with Kria (and possibly Devin) again.

Well, he could just come along as backup. Preferrably in disguise. But which disguise? I know! Let's pick someone that's not currently living. Someone insignificant, that's unlikely to be remembered.

Like Devin.

:zombiekun2

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Drayco84 on May 17, 2010, 09:42:37 PM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 17, 2010, 07:59:26 PMBritish English is used by quite a few folks.  Canada is among those numbers.
Yes, including a particularly popular MMORPG that's based in Britain (<- If that's misspelled, blame the forum's spellchecker!) that I've been known to play from time to time. (Teh grinding! Augh! Teh grinding!) Things like "armour", "colour", and etc. barely phase me now because of it.

Wuh ? ... I have no idea what MMORPG you are talking about ?

Quote from: Bjalf on May 18, 2010, 01:18:16 AM
Quote from: Mao Laoren on May 17, 2010, 07:59:26 PMOh how that could go wrong if Abel were to impersonate Dan.  Though it might be a chance for him to meet up with Kria (and possibly Devin) again.
Well, he could just come along as backup. Preferrably in disguise. But which disguise? I know! Let's pick someone that's not currently living. Someone insignificant, that's unlikely to be remembered.

Like Devin.

:zombiekun2

Oooo ... that's an interesting choice, the hijinks could be awesome.