Well, I finally bit the bullet...

Started by Drayco84, May 09, 2010, 07:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drayco84

I am now the proud owner of a refurbished, 60GB PS3. (The one with 4 USB ports, CF, SD/Mini SD, and Memory Duo slots.)

I briefly tested it's emulation abilities with MGS2, mostly because I want to finally play and complete MGS4. (I missed the mind-screwing from the previous three, okay?)

For those that have one, is there ANYTHING VITALLY IMPORTANT that I should know about this particular console? OTHER THAN A: It's discontinued. B: It has PS2 hardware emulation support. C: It's discontinued. and D: It can go on the internet via a built-in browser. I currently do NOT have a PSN account, and the console is sitting on top of the metal case of my defuct PC. (It looks like some kind of new-age tower, BTW.)

EDIT: Also, is there anything that updating the system would potentially break? I've been having lots of issues with my Wii refusing to update, claiming that it needs to be sent in for repair before it'll update. (It also refuses to play games! Good thing there's a way around that...)

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

There's some interesting stuff in this article concerning that system, it might answer some of your questions/concerns. (I briefly skimmed through it myself.)

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/09/the-forgotten-beloved-60gb-ps3-why-its-still-so-popular.ars

Also, if you want I can see if any of my older issues of Playstation: The Official Magazine have anything concerning that particular model, if you have any more questions. Although, I can't guarantee anything; but it doesn't hurt to look.

I have the updated slim model (120GB) that can't play PS2 games (:<), but it can play older PS1 games.

I'm not the PSN network either, once I can afford internet I will.  :mowhappy

Also, I hear that the older versions of PS3 had cooling issues, so I would watch where I place it. If it doesn't stay properly cooled that's bad for the system. Also, the older versions use up a lot more power, so that's something to keep in mind if you pay for your own electric (Like I do).

Darkmoon

I'm still holding out before buying one. My only reason to buy it, still, is for the BluRay, as most of the games I'm interested in are on Xbox 360, which I already have. One day I will, but mostly so I can watch BluRay movies on my pretty TV.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Drayco84

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on May 10, 2010, 08:27:31 PM
I have the updated slim model (120GB) that can't play PS2 games (:<), but it can play older PS1 games.

Yeah, ALL the PS3s can play PS1 games, but only the 60GB has actual hardware emulation for PS2 games, and I have a number of classics. (MGS2 and 3, ZOE 1 and 2, Ar Tonelico, Mana Khemia, Disgaea: HOD, all seven .hack games, P3FES, and I can keep going...) So for me, the ability to play PS2 games is a must. (I still have a bunch I never finished! Odin Sphere, Ar Tonelico 2, and I'll find a bunch more I root around in my room long enough.) Yeah, my slim PS2 is alive and kicking, but they've stopped selling those, too...) One of the other PS3 models uses nearly-perfect software emulation, and the newest ones don't offer any PS2 emulation at all.

Like I said, the PS3 is currently sitting on the top of a metal computer case with quite a bit of space around it. (I hate confining devices that output enough heat to significantly help keep rooms warm during the winter.) And I currently don't pay for my electric, but oh well...

Went ahead and updated the system to version 3.whatever with no ill effects.

Darkmoon, My whole reason for getting one was because of the MGS titles. However, even Hideo Kojima seems like they're not fond of the system, as Metal Gear Rising (The 5th one, with Raiden as the protagonist. Seriously, the guy takes way too much flak...) is being released on the PS3, 360, and Windows. However, the 360's reputation for the dreaded Red Ring of Death has preceded it. (Heck, I'll admit it, I don't like hate Windows with a passion that's been honed from using their PC-based operating systems for years. Why the heck would I trust my leisure time/gaming experience to them?!) Dang, I miss the whole "Put disc/cart in, turn on console, PLAY.." experience...

Darkmoon

You know, everyone is fearful of the Red Ring., I haven't had any issues with it. *knock on wood* I think I just waited long enough to get the newer batches of systems (at the time) that were fixed.

Even still, if my system from them does die due to RRoD, at least it comes with a three year warranty. I still have a year on it before I have to be "fearful".
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Keleth

A bit late to this discussion, I like both the 360 and the PS3. Just so I'm not being biased here.

Yeah, the early 360s had some problems, some of those problems being with the external power supply overheating, and red ringing.

The main thing to realize is that yes, when you mass produce millions of things, unless you are a perfect diety some are going to be defective.
I'm actually suprised that as a major corporation they did a number of things right though. First and foremost, fixed the red ring problems in the xbox systems that started (If the local gaming shops are to be believed) about two years ago when they started putting a HDMI slot in their xbox 360s.

The warranty for the original run of consoles was extended to 5 years. So if someone bought em when I was working on release date back in 2005 they could exchange them no problem. Microsoft usually had them returned within two weeks, and in most cases paid for the shipping as well.

Now, a lot of people are saying that the xbox is a terrible machine because some had some hardware issues. Does nobody Remember when Sony released the PS2? How many of those damn things died? How many re-releases of the PS2 they had to fix the various hardware problems ranging from disc trays breaking, laser lenses not functioning properly, and the system just outright bricking?

Yet, Sony fixed those problems and continued to offer support. And became the most successful console of it's generation. Despite all the negative press from Nintendo, Sega and xbox fanbois.

The moral here? Microsoft isn't the first company to make a mistake like this, it happens regularly to almost any product that is first released into the marketplace.

People are far too quick to judge sometimes.

In either case, Enjoy your PS3, it's got some bitchin titles :D
Help! I'm gay!

Turnsky

actually depending on where you were, Microsoft's tech support was nothing short of stellar, a while back my own 360 red-ringed..

So i phoned up, Microsoft sent me the labels (i had to find my own box, which wasn't any worry at the time, even had packing material and bubble wrap), i shipped it off, a week later i got my 360 back, good as new.. in all honesty i should've saved the serial number just to see whether my console was refurbished or replaced outright.

it's worked perfectly fine ever since.

you hear that zealots? PERFECTLY

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Mao

I've got all three modern consoles.  I've had zero problems with any of them.  Happy gaming.

Ryudo Lee

I have the PS3 Slim as well.  I wish I had been able to find the older one, so that I could load Linux on it.  Can't do that with the Slims.  Thankfully though, I still have my PS2, so playing my older games is still possible.

My Wii has never failed on me.  I didn't even have any of the dirty lens problems that people had when playing Brawl.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Drayco84

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on May 21, 2010, 09:38:17 PM
I have the PS3 Slim as well.  I wish I had been able to find the older one, so that I could load Linux on it.  Can't do that with the Slims.  Thankfully though, I still have my PS2, so playing my older games is still possible.
If you did have one and recently updated the PS3's OS, it would've removed the ability to install Linux. From what I understand, somebody added in something that allowed people more control over the hardware than Sony had anticipated, so they killed the support. A google search should turn up specifics rather quickly.

Vidar

What's the backwards compatibility like? Does it run PSX and PS2 games, or is it like the XBOX partial emulation crap?
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Drayco84

Quote from: Vidar on May 26, 2010, 09:18:22 AM
What's the backwards compatibility like? Does it run PSX and PS2 games, or is it like the XBOX partial emulation crap?
I have yet to test it out on PSX games as I only have a handful of those and as much as I like some of them, I'm not too keen on replaying  them ATM.
I've been able to run Metal Gear Solid 2, Ys: Ark of the Napistim, and Metal Saga. However, again I stress that this is a 60GB model, one of the high-end release consoles that has the actual super-special PS2 hardware built-in. Later versions eventually dropped the PS2 support altogether. (You WILL need to create a PS2 memory card on the HDD though. This only takes a few minutes at most.) And it sucks about as much juice as my humidifier on 'Low'.
Again, I'm kinda not in a rush to replay any PS2 games ATM as I've just gotten my hands on Overlord 2. (Dang, I missed those little minions!)

All the info I have on the Xbox emulation is second-hand, but I've heard it sucks and only offers support for a limited number of games.