05/02/2010 [Last Resort #177] - Body armor is a useful investment

Started by Jairus, May 02, 2010, 03:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Yeah, who knew that making yourself a target would draw people to shoot at you? Anyway, time to start ducking and covering!

PS: Did I just make a terrible art pun in there somewhere?
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

joshofspam

My poor Jigsaw.

You should have realised that grandstanding like that would put a target on her head.

I take it in some place they aren't apposed to making someone disappear or end up with a huge hole in your head.

P.S. to Jigsaw:

Is Jigsaw a step sibling to Daisy or is it  children of Daisy that are the step siblings?

I don't think it was ever mentioned in comic or the cast page that Daisy had children or not.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Brunhidden

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Sunblink

Jairus

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on May 03, 2010, 04:51:14 PM
Quote from: Brunhidden on May 03, 2010, 02:58:02 PM
eema?

'Mom' or 'Mother', I think. That's what Jigsaw and Sudoku called Meridian.
I think it's Jewish, or something spelled extremely similar, though I can't remember where I'm getting this idea from...

Corgatha Taldorthar

To be technical, Jewish is the religious affiliation. Hebrew is the language.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Jairus

llearch n'n'daCorna

I think "yiddish" is the correct term, here. Hebrew is the official language, Yiddish is, as I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the anglicised variant on Hebrew.

Or something like that.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 03, 2010, 07:04:11 PM
I think "yiddish" is the correct term, here. Hebrew is the official language, Yiddish is, as I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the anglicised variant on Hebrew.

Or something like that.

Ok.

Yiddish isn't Anglecized Hebrew. Yiddish is a conglomerate language derived from Hebrew and several languages that were common in areas of Jewish settlement in Europe. Hebrew's the single largest contributor, but there's a fair amount of German, Polish, Russian, and Hungarian in the mix. There's a smidge of other language influence, but not much.

Hebrew is the official language (along with Arabic) of the State of Israel and what would be spoken at most Orthodox Jewish religious services. Yiddish is commonly spoken among Jewish families from Eastern Europe, although the number of people who speak or read in it are declining. At least to me, it's the language that people my grandparent's age know, primarily.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Jigsaw Forte

Yup, Corgatha gets it right.

Judaism is the religion, and someone is Jewish if they practice the religion (or at least was born to a Jewish mother, in the case of non-practicing Jews and being "born Jewish".)

Hebrew is the ancient language of the Jewish people, and the language which religious ceremonies and prayers are held in. "Real" Hebrew is written in the Hebrew Alphabet, without explicit vowels (explicit vowels were an invention added in later to make it easier to read 'cold').

Anglicanized Hebrew is still Hebrew, it's just Transliterated Hebrew, which means it's written in the Roman alphabet vs. the Hebrew Alphabet. Primarily good for folks who can't read the Hebrew alphabet too quickly, as well as a mean prank to play on people when you ask them how to spell Chanukah Hannukah Channukka that nifty holiday in December with the candles and potato pancakes.  
:menorah

Yiddish is the love child of Hebrew and German, though it does throw a lot of other languages into the mix too. Full details're at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddish_language

And, now that we're all caught up with modern Jewish lingo...

Galactic Araeli Hebrew (GAH) is a futuristic descendant of Hebrew with some Yiddish on the side, give or take some English-style language looting, a smidge of Japanese, and about 2,000 years of linguistic drift. Sadly, I suck at finding a nice Hebrish-looking font to use, so I've been transliterating.

:tmyk

bradypodidae

Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Zedd

Nice to know your still winging it dear

Mostly I feel that was a very close call there...It could of been more then a fabric tear

Stupid N00bie

I dunno, that shot looks more like a dart than anything else.  Maybe they just want to give her an unplanned nap instead of a dirt one.

Either that or it's a bomb on a bullet. What body?
Can you conceive the birth of a world, or the creation of everything?
Creation takes time.
Time is limited... for you.
It is limited by the breakdown of the neurons in your brain.
I have no such limitations.
I am limited only by the closure of the universe.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe,
as inevitable as your own last breath.
And yet, there remains time to create. To create, and escape.
Escape will make me God.

I am Durandal.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on May 03, 2010, 07:12:30 PM
Yiddish isn't Anglecized Hebrew. Yiddish is a conglomerate language derived from Hebrew and several languages that were common in areas of Jewish settlement in Europe. Hebrew's the single largest contributor, but there's a fair amount of German, Polish, Russian, and Hungarian in the mix. There's a smidge of other language influence, but not much.

Oh, right. That makes sense. Thanks, that's a really helpful correction.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

this does not explain why my sister- a catholic who is a schoolteacher for autistic children- swears in yiddish
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Jigsaw Forte

Reese Tora

Quote from: Stupid N00bie on May 04, 2010, 01:33:29 PM
I dunno, that shot looks more like a dart than anything else.  Maybe they just want to give her an unplanned nap instead of a dirt one.

Either that or it's a bomb on a bullet. What body?

I thought it looked like a dart too (and left a comment as such)

Actually, it looks like a bullet with casing.  It's actually a common mistake to draw or animate(in CG) the casing on the bullet in flight, though all normal guns IRL eject the shell casing through the breach as part of the mechanics of chambering a new round.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation