04/01/10 [Filler] - Amber's Califur Adventure

Started by Rafe, April 02, 2010, 01:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe

Well, all you people in Southern California should show up at Cailfur to worship Amber and prove all her negative thoughts wrong.  She hasn't been out west lately, which reminded me of something she must have forgotten:

A few years ago, Amber was asked to do an event or panel or whatever by the organizers of another con, Conifur, which happened in the Seattle/Tacoma, Washington area.  I know this happened because I was present when she was asked.  Unfortunately, the hotel where the next Conifur was to be held was torn down in an airport expansion project, and Conifur, which was my favorite event, has never resurfaced.  So maybe she put that out of her mind.

But as far as Califur, I have heard good things.  A number of friends of mine have been there and say good stuff about it, and it's hard to argue with their choice of GOH, especially with the theme this year being about furry comics.
Rafe

Jairus

Since I live in California, I have to seriously consider going to this. That, and I could spend a day or two at Disneyland!
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Rafe

I do have a request if anyone out there has any connection to Califur.

Does anybody have any way of contacting the con organizers?  I have been trying to do this since January.  All attempts at using the "Contact By Email" on the Califur site go unaswered, the "Califur Forum" apparently doesn't let people register and post things.  The only person who I ever got to repond was at the Califur LiveJournal, and they gave me another email address that apparently no one ever answers.

We're trying to volunteer at an event here.  I assumed they might like that.  Anybody have any contact info?
Rafe

Zedd

InsanityRequiem

Sorry Rafe, no idea about the contacts. But I do have information on the roadworks down here in the burning lands of South CA!

Drivers: Crazy. Unwary and you'll have problems. It's bad. *Cry.*

Roads: Best to get a 4x4 vehicle. Roads are bumpy and full of cracks/mini-potholes.

Weather: Dress light. It gets hot down here. 60º and higher and you'll be sweating.

People: A stick or two will remedy that!
Who is the sanest of us all? Why, the insane of course!

VSMIT

Southern California's not bad.  As long as you stay out of LA.  And in your hotel.  ALL THE TIME.

I may drop by at some point.  Just a stones throw from where I live.

Turnsky

Remember Amber, don't stress too much, take it from me.  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Sind

Aw poop, It's times like this that makes me hate living all the way over in europe  :<

Jasonrevall

Well I wish I could go but sadly I won't be able to. Although I can wish all those who are going to Califur a good time. Also I wouldn't worry bout not being known Amber. You wouldn't have been asked to be a guest of honor if no one knew who you were. But if I was in your position, I would probably be a nervous wreck.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Anker Steadfast

Wooo - Grats Amber! :D
It's nice to see you get come recognition in this area.

I understand you feel undeserving, but undeserving people don't get made Guests of Honor!
Not to mention you have a comic with a thousand strips in the archive, a sidestory with two hundred strips to it.
Heck, your sidestory has outrun many regular webcomics, and with a more compelling tale to boot.

And then, there's all the stuff you've been doing on the side.

Fur Affinity alone will probably turn a few heads when they hear your name.
And look at this nicely active forum you have running here ?
And a whole wiki based around your creation.

You have touched a lot of people trough your works, that makes you deserving in my eyes. :)

As for the jitters, try contacting some of the previous GoH's and see if they have some tips on how to deal with it, and perhaps ask them what they talked about.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Reese Tora

Been planning to stop by. :)

Also, most of the con staff are members of the SoCal Furry yahoo group.  I could pass on a message to the group if you want.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Rafe

Quote from: Reese Tora on April 02, 2010, 04:22:28 AM
Been planning to stop by. :)

Also, most of the con staff are members of the SoCal Furry yahoo group.  I could pass on a message to the group if you want.

Thanks a lot Reese.  I made another attempt just now with some other contacts, and If I don't get something in the next day or two, I'll PM you here on the DMFA forum and hopefully I can get things figured out. 

Again, Thanks.  Hope you make it out there.  If I can get things worked out with them I'll see you in June.
Rafe

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sind on April 02, 2010, 03:37:06 AM
Aw poop, It's times like this that makes me hate living all the way over in europe  :<
Indeed.  Anthrocon I can make, but two US trips a year is just not going to happen.  That and they get a bit nervous at work when I'm not around for a long period.

However, pretty much everyone I spoke to at RBW (London) in 2008 knew about DMFA so I'd be surprised if the situation wasn't similar at Califur.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Madd the Sane

I wish I could go, but alas, money issues.  Mainly, I need a job.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Alondro

Silly Amber!  You don't have to worry about making it a bad con!  Just remember one important thing!

They're all furries...

They're mainly there to stare at the pr0n.   ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Netrogo

The best advice I can give you Amber, is to NOT think about what you're saying when you're on stage. I say this because you have two choices, script everything or script nothing. If you script nothing, then you can just go up there with an idea of what you want to talk about, once you're up there just think about the idea you wanted to talk about and start rambling. Metaphors and double entendres are your friends when rambling/ranting live, they're the filler of the talking in chains world. You toss them in between thoughts giving yourself enough time to come up with the next thing to say. Plus as you get further and further into a ramble/rant you sort of lose concious control of it, like starting a rickety car that needs to be pushed down the street to get going, eventually it runs on its own.

Not to mention most of the people going to a panel run by you are there BECAUSE it's you, they're already experienced with how you behave online so they know what they're getting into going to an Amber Panel (Panber?) so take some advantage of the fact that your very own fame will carry you through the panel.

Anyways best of luck, and have fun eh ^^
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Hanii Puppy

Quote from: Netrogo on April 02, 2010, 08:09:55 AM
I say this because you have two choices, script everything or script nothing. If you script nothing, then you can just go up there with an idea of what you want to talk about, once you're up there just think about the idea you wanted to talk about and start rambling.

Could semi-script it, keeping a list of points that you want to cover and improvising around them.

bradypodidae

All I know is the art work on Califur's main page is truly awesome!

</shameless kissing up>
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Turnsky

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on April 02, 2010, 09:32:34 AM
All I know is the art work on Califur's main page is truly awesome!

</shameless kissing up>

you've got a little something on your nose, there.  >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Aurawyn

Aww nuts.. I used to live in Cali before, I would have gone in a heart beat, but now I'm on the stupid Southeast coast...

I only ever seem to hear about Con's like a week before them, and then I can't time off work to go. hehe

Edit:

Ps, What is a "Wibble Wobble"?? lol

Morgan

A wibble wobble is something that wibbles and wobbles back and forth. Sounds like a cute idiom for being uncertain. :)

Either way... I've never been to any kind of Con, but dang it, I would try to get out to Cali if I wasn't so darned poor and busy. I feel like nothing ever happens here. And we have DisneyWORLD, not Disneyland. XD

bradypodidae

Quote from: Turnsky on April 02, 2010, 09:49:46 AM
you've got a little something on your nose, there.  >:3

What? ah crap! *wipes* Thanks!
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

ooklah

Quote from: Aurawyn on April 02, 2010, 09:53:52 AM

Ps, What is a "Wibble Wobble"?? lol

weebles wobble but they don't fall down. is the first thing I think of.

Hrm.. 1.5 hours by private transport; 4 by public transport.
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Kenji

Amber? Wanting to meet people!?
Yeah, I can't see it. o:

Prof B Hunnydew

Amber on the west coast..... Oh no call the Governor Arnold, call the army....

If Vinci and Karma get wind of this, and they show up.   The Cuteness level will reach critical mass... the World will explode with a wave of cuteness metamorphic effect...that will end Life as we have know it....

Quick call Candi Dewalt and Kathy Hopkins, Call Sue Deer.... They've got to go seee the Mab...  We will watch the awesome Mab effect in action.

PBH

Good luck Amber.... Just be yourself   You'll be fine, you will be with friends.

Kage

Quote from: InsanityRequiem on April 02, 2010, 02:50:18 AM
Sorry Rafe, no idea about the contacts. But I do have information on the roadworks down here in the burning lands of South CA!

Drivers: Crazy. Unwary and you'll have problems. It's bad. *Cry.*

Roads: Best to get a 4x4 vehicle. Roads are bumpy and full of cracks/mini-potholes.

This is what cabs are for :P

Quote from: InsanityRequiem on April 02, 2010, 02:50:18 AM
Weather: Dress light. It gets hot down here. 60º and higher and you'll be sweating.

.... 60º is hot?  If it drops below 80º I'm shivering.  Sounds like this trip is going to be a pleasantly cool to the temperatures I'm used to.
I am the Patron Saint of Mediocrity.

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

CONGRATULATIONS AMBER!! *tosses edible confetti* And Good luck at Califur!  :mowwink

((From her Actual Comic))
I admit though I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing. Truth of the matter is, up until I was invited, I was never offered to run a panel at any event.

I've never been a guest of anything before. So this whole con is going to be a new experience for me.

I feel all responsible-like and yet at the same time I feel really underserving of the job. What if I goof up? Or no one even knows who I am? I was thinking I would try to do some panels and things but what if they are all mega lame?

I guess my main worry is I'm going to dissapoint everyone, or worse, bring the entire con down into flames due to being so amazingly lame a guest.

It's natural to feel all nervous and worried and if I was in your shoes I would be too.

But believe me when I say, to me you are more than deserving of this opportunity!  :mowhappy And even if not many people know who are, they will find out who are and you will earn even more fans, who appreciate your hard work as much I do and your other admirers do as well.

The point is we admire and are fans of you, because you are you. Be yourself that is all I ask and I'm sure others only ask this as well. Just be true to who you are. I know you will do fine and if I had the money to go, I would be grateful for whatever you have to offer and/or share no matter how "lame" you may think it is.   :mowwink You could never disappoint me.

Thank you for your amazing comic and all the years you have put into it. Appreciate this moment and have fun!  :3

Anker Steadfast

Governator VS Amber !!
Round 1, FIGHT !!!

Arnold : TALK TO DAH HAND !!!!!!!
Amber : *draws a Mow on Arnold's hand*
Arnold : ...
Amber : *smiles*
Arnold : I shall never wash this hand again! *sob* *manly tears*

!! AMBER WINS !!

:mowhappy

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Naldru

Perhaps people could give Amber some serious advice and assistance.

Teddy Roosevelt had some good advice when he advised people to speak softly and carry a few big schticks.  When things go wrong, and they will, you can be the saviour of the hour by pulling out samples of your awesome talents and those of your fans.  For example

A recording of the DMFA radio show with a speaker that can carry for a few rows. 

A sketch pad with a few prepared gags.  "I was always told that you should picture the audience in their underwear if you are about to collapse with fright."  (shows Fluffy)  "Sometimes that doesn't work"  (Shows Wildy) "Sometimes that shows more than you want" (Shows Kria) "Sometimes it really shows more than you want" (Shows favorite bishonen) "Sometimes you want to see more"  (Shows Mab with tray of brownies)  "Be nice or Mab will serve you brownies"

If it may involve people questioning each other, have a few prepared all purpose questions.  For example, "What is it that you most want to be remembered for, and what is it that you most want everybody to forget."  A good statement about the locals is always useful:  "Disney has got to be one of the few places where people can say that they work for a Mickey Mouse organization and say it with pride."
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on April 02, 2010, 05:37:56 PM
A recording of the DMFA radio show with a speaker that can carry for a few rows.  

Two slight issues there, firstly Amber doesn't listen to it much as it jars with her internal voices for the characters.  Secondly the recordings are more done as a soundtrack to a video than something that would really work standalone as a radio broadcast.
As a workaround I do a slideshow on youtube that uses the strips with the captions erased to give you more of an idea what's happening.  I haven't started to do this for the current project (Return of Dark Pegasus) because the recording isn't complete - we only have part 1 - and I was trying to see if I could get higher res copies of the strips, which hasn't quite panned out.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E