01/05/10 [AS2 #85] - Interesting Tea Time Subject

Started by The_one_who_is_odd, January 05, 2010, 03:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_one_who_is_odd

Well looks like both Kria and Fa'Lina know some important things about the other.

SpottedKitty

Hooboy. I'd forgotten all about this. So there was more behind the attack than just "Rampage Training 101"...?

Kria has to know that, really, she's hopelessly outpowered. She can't wipe that smug grin off Fa'lina's muzzle. Do Demons pop blood vessels out of sheer pique?
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Baal Hadad

Ain't that always the way with evil people?  No trust on either side so they can only work together by getting the goods on each other and using that as blackmail....  :P

I am curious, however, to learn what both of them are talking about....

Madd the Sane

I believe TVTropes has an entry that I don't want to say :?

And yes, both of them are putting their cards on the table, seeing who will sweat more.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Madd the Sane on January 05, 2010, 04:13:56 AM

And yes, both of them are putting their cards on the table, seeing who will sweat more.

Um...why don't you want to say...?

Rakyth

Quote from: Baal Hadad on January 05, 2010, 04:18:43 AM

Because it's like a Rickroll, except it takes all day to find your way out.

Madd the Sane

Quote from: Baal Hadad on January 05, 2010, 04:18:43 AM

Because of the terminology.

Edit:
The function is there for this purpose. Theenk of the cheeeldrun!
  -- llearch
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Anri

I can hear that saccharine voice of malice now.

Dard

Touchè to both of them.

With the difference being that Fa'Lina anticipated this and came prepared with an answer.
This power play may come with a high price, for both of them. Looks like Aniz still continues to ruin the relationship between Cubi and Zinvth. If I were Fa'Lina, I would have avoided to play that card unless absolutely necessary. But being who she is, her pupils are more important to her.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dard on January 05, 2010, 05:26:05 AM
Looks like Aniz still continues to ruin the relationship between Cubi and Zinvth. If I were Fa'Lina, I would have avoided to play that card unless absolutely necessary. But being who she is, her pupils are more important to her.
Fa'Lina can foresee things.  It may be that Aniz still has some important part to play, and that's why she didn't simply kill him or turn him over to Zinvth.  Or maybe she simply believes he can somehow redeem himself.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dard

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 05, 2010, 05:39:25 AM
Fa'Lina can foresee things.  It may be that Aniz still has some important part to play, and that's why she didn't simply kill him or turn him over to Zinvth.  Or maybe she simply believes he can somehow redeem himself.
Fa'Lina's vision outside SAIA is limited, and I think it is highly unlikely that Aniz is still at SAIA.

I alwas had the impression that Fa'Lina had some sort of still unexplained deal with Aniz. One that she can't back down from. Which put her into an awkward situation both when it comes to Abel and Zinvth.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dard on January 05, 2010, 06:37:49 AM
Fa'Lina's vision outside SAIA is limited, and I think it is highly unlikely that Aniz is still at SAIA.
Point.  However, it looks like she was able to foretell that Aniz would not kill May, and neither of them were at SAIA.  It's possible she had a contact in Zinvth of course - to tell her that May would soon be passing on - though the way things are going between her and Kria makes that look a little less likely.

Psaakyrn

The reason why Fa'Lina isn't being helpful in disclosing information is already mentioned previously.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on January 05, 2010, 09:09:07 AM
The reason why Fa'Lina isn't being helpful in disclosing information is already mentioned previously.
I'd say it was more a tantalising glimpse.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 05, 2010, 09:12:04 AM

I was quite interested about that myself.  What would have been the repercussions with Clan Taun, and why?

Was Clan Taun an ally of Clan Siar?  Or do they just have something against giving up cubi to demons?

Icon by Sunblink

tikitori

It's possible Taun's Clan wouldn't like any 'Demon Town' helped in any way, and it's a big enough force in SAIA to cause problems-but that's just my guess.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: tikitori on January 05, 2010, 11:11:57 AM
It's possible Taun's Clan wouldn't like any 'Demon Town' helped in any way, and it's a big enough force in SAIA to cause problems-but that's just my guess.

Or it could just be that the Taun Clan was nothing more than a plot device put there to stop Aniz from meeting his end and making the remaining Abel's Story a lot more anti-climactic.

Only Amber truly knows the answer.

And maybe the Jin clan was planning on building the children's hospital for the morbid purpose of feeding on the childrens' pain as they slowly die from cancer and other things. >:3

Icon by Sunblink

candide

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 05, 2010, 09:12:04 AM
There are other glimpses.  Here for example, in the 1st sentence of the 3rd panel.  And also in the first few sentences of Fa'lina's monologue in this one.

It would seem that, politics aside, once Aniz left SAIA, Fa'lina quickly lost (fore)sight of him.

Tapewolf

Quote from: candide on January 05, 2010, 11:35:59 AM
It would seem that, politics aside, once Aniz left SAIA, Fa'lina quickly lost (fore)sight of him.
Those only seem to be about the limits of Fa'Lina's foresight, not about why she let Aniz carry on his merry way, which is arguably the more interesting topic :B

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 05, 2010, 11:39:15 AM
Quote from: candide on January 05, 2010, 11:35:59 AM
Those only seem to be about the limits of Fa'Lina's foresight, not about why she let Aniz carry on his merry way, which is arguably the more interesting topic :B

Yeah, it is quite interesting indeed.  I mean, Fa'lina's banishment of any further children attending SAIA wouldn't even guarantee a prevention of him having another child, since he could very well train the child himself until the ban was lifted.
I'm assuming that's what cubi who can't easily find SAIA do as well.

Also, who knows what else that psychopath does in his spare time?  He could be a cubi version of Jack the Ripper for all we know, especially after seeing the way he slaughtered Hennya and how seemingly easy it was for him to do so.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 05, 2010, 11:54:15 AM
Yeah, it is quite interesting indeed.  I mean, Fa'lina's banishment of any further children attending SAIA wouldn't even guarantee a prevention of him having another child, since he can train the child himself until the ban was lifted.
I'm assuming that's what cubi who can't easily find SAIA do as well.
Yes, but SAIA has the advantage of the wisdom of many clans.  Someone who isn't SAIA-educated will tend to find it much harder, as I understand it.  Though I seem to recall hearing there are some clans who simply don't use it out of spite or pettiness or because they hate Fa'Lina or some such reason.

QuoteAlso, who knows what else that psychopath does in his spare time.  He could be a cubi version of Jack the Ripper for all we know, especially after seeing the way he slaughtered that girl and how seemingly easy it was for him to do so.
Actually, that may be what Fa'Lina was saying Dan might do by accident (see strip 491).  Nothing we've seen says Aniz wanted it to kill Hennya, in fact he was horrified afterwards.  It looks like it was just a loss of self-control.

Magic

No.. no. It may not even be from being able to foresee things. Everyone seems to forget that what Fa'lina doesn't see with her foresight she can probably think about and analyze, you know with having a brain and all?

Even if she cared about yonder magnificent bastard and/or didn't know about what he would do, Fa'lina can't really intervene in Aniz' plans on her own, short of extreme measures such as killing him herself in cold blood. It wasn't an option, as she says herself, she couldn't find it in her to kill him even after he did something horrifically wrong. He was also so hell bent on re raising a crippled clan, for all the wrong reasons, as to deny her shot at parleying at the end of her discussion.

Leaving her with only one option; Do nothing, let this play out and potentially let Destania or any potential assassins of the more unrestrained of Jin's clan to kill him. It would prevent any more inconveniences such as this from happening while dampening political repercussions from Taun's clan as it is beyond the immediate scope of the Zinvth incident. Bonus points if his death looked like an accident.

Zinvth can then be part of damage control. As long as she can be at a stalemate with Kria and not divulge any information, she would come out on top by default as soon as Aniz dies. None the wiser.

I say all this as I intend to open a more refined and renewed inquiry on top of Tapewolf's own. What was so important about Taun's clan's agenda that Fa'lina was forced to deny Kria and the authorities of Zinvth information about a murder and a domestic disturbance by Aniz no less, whom she would take no better glee than to get rid of?
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Magic on January 05, 2010, 12:48:58 PM
No.. no. It may not even be from being able to foresee things. Everyone seems to forget that what Fa'lina doesn't see with her foresight she can probably think about and analyze, you know with having a brain and all?

This is true, though I'm kind of curious as to how much time she has to brood on things like that when she has a thousand or so students doing weird and wonderful things 24x7...

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 05, 2010, 01:29:25 PM

This is true, though I'm kind of curious as to how much time she has to brood on things like that when she has a thousand or so students doing weird and wonderful things 24x7...

That and all the paperwork and political duties that come with being the headmistress/president of what could be considered a private tier-one mega-college.

Icon by Sunblink

Magic

And yet she found the time and engaged in idle chatter with an unimportant bored little Abel at strips #541 and 542, while preparing a welcome for Mab's party. All the while potentially having these responsibilities you speak of. Mystery of mysteries!
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Amber Williams

Once a young Cubi gave Fa'Lina a PDA as a gift to show her some of the technological marvels coming up with outside of the Academy.

It self-destructed within minutes. :B

jeffh4

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 05, 2010, 05:39:25 AM

Remember here, that every student at SAIA has been, to some extent, adopted by Fa'Lina.  She cares for each and every one of them.  Plus add that to the fact that she lost every one of her other students from Siar's clan, past and present.  Aniz and now Abel are the final pieces left.  If Aniz dies, her failure to their clan becomes as complete as her failure to her own.

bradypodidae

Quote from: jeffh4 on January 05, 2010, 04:07:58 PM
 Aniz and now Abel are the final pieces left.

I don't think it has been established that Abel is Aniz's only offspring; perhaps just his most current. That ban on enrollment seems to be directed at future offspring. Abel might well have step half-siblings in the world, or perhaps even currently enrolled in SAIA. I doubt that, but I believe the possibility exists.

edit: I guess it would be nice if I got my terminology correct.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 05, 2010, 03:37:42 PM
Once a young Cubi gave Fa'Lina a PDA as a gift to show her some of the technological marvels coming up with outside of the Academy.

Must... not... ask... what... system software... it ran...

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 05, 2010, 03:37:42 PM
It self-destructed within minutes. :B

That'd be the Furrae equivalent of Windows Mobile, then.

Quote from: jeffh4 on January 05, 2010, 04:07:58 PM
Remember here, that every student at SAIA has been, to some extent, adopted by Fa'Lina.  She cares for each and every one of them.

I think Fa'Lina tries to plan things so that they turn out for the best for those concerned, even if it doesn't seem that way at the time.  (See strip 592).  Though again, that seems to tie in with foresight which may not be the applicable to those concerned.

candide

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 05, 2010, 01:29:25 PM

You may want to take another look at the two strips that I linked to earlier.  In one of them, Fa'lina says, point-blank, that Aniz is so unhinged and, therefore, so unpredictable that she can't really tell what he might do next.

So, I'm going with Tapewolf's reply to my earlier comment:  we know why Fa'lina can't track Aniz very well after she let him go.  It's her reason why she let him go that's the interesting subject.   :)