Resources for a sick Amber

Started by Technoire, January 06, 2010, 12:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technoire

I can honestly say I haven't ever heard of anyone accumulating sickness so frequently as Amber does, which either makes her extremely unlucky or a lightning-rod for airbourne pathogens. Or both at the same time.
So since I wish you a speedy recovery, Amber (and I'm sure everyone else here offers the same good vibes), I'm offering you my personal Kick The Sick Overnight remedy.
It's outlandish, and a little funny-tasting, but totally effective and worth it. ;P
You will usually feel immediate relief overnight. Mind out, it shouldn't be assumed that this means the sickness is GONE, so it's safe to repeat this remedy following the absence of your sickness, so nothing resurfaces. :)

Ready?
Here's what you'll need:
1 glass water
1 glass lemonade or milk (any kind; soy works best)
2 peeled mandarin oranges, and an arsenal more on hand for snacking on
2 tablets Ginkgo Biloba
1 peanut butter sandwich (or if you're allergic, a berry jam or Nutella sandwich also works.)
1 clove raw garlic

1NE.
First, be brave and chew the garlic. Garlic, especially raw, helps strengthen your immune system and helps your body push out toxins. Chew with your mouth open and try to circulate breathing through your mouth and then nose as you chew; You'll feel your nasal congestion start to lift.

2WO.
Here's your vitamin-C backup army: After choking down the garlic, munch on the two mandarin oranges you peeled. (I reccommend mandarins because after the garlic you'll already be overwhelmed with the strong-spicy, and mandarins are the perfect amount of sweet.)

THR3E.
Take the two Ginkgo pills with your glass of water. This will help chase away head congestion and let you get your focus back, and will start to take effect within 15 minutes. Make sure to drink the entire glass of water for good hydration.

FO4R.
Drink your glass of lemonade or milk. OPTIONAL, but EFFECTIVE: Mix 1 teaspoon Cheyenne pepper powder with an 8 ounce cup of lemonade (recipe also used in liver cleanses), down it, then chase it with the glass of milk. The milk will reduce the acidic taste in your mouth and throat. Because cow's milk can cause unwanted phlegm buildup, I would reccommend vitamin-enhanced soy or rice milk, instead.

FIV5.
Enjoy your sandwich! Peanut butter or Nutella are smooth and creamy and will help get rid of the garlic/citrus taste, and are packed with protein.

If you're still feeling the taste in your throat, go brush your teeth and have another glass of water. Keep drinking lots of water, because when that garlic & lemonade mixture eventually (and inevitably) comes out, it's gonna take most of your sickness with it.
Continue munching on mandarin oranges whenever possible throughout the day and try to spend some time relaxing, laying down and playing video games. Or better yet, sleeping!

You'll feel the difference in the morning, assuming you get 6+ hours of sleep (also crucial). It will feel like your sickness is gone immediately, but because these things can always relapse, continue to eat healthy, hydrate yourself and eat lots of oranges. You can repeat Kick The Sick as many times as you want for added defense, but once you've done it that first time, all you should really need for the days following are habitual healthy eating, lots of water & vitamin C, and good 'ol sleep. :) Soup and tea are your friends; Peppermint tea to keep your sinuses open, and if you have access to Miso soup mix, make some. The live cultures in Miso make it a good friend to have along, and if you add a couple teaspoons of nutritional yeast to the soup, it's like hitting that coin box in Mario Bros. and getting the god-mode star. ;P

This may sound like another one of those dumb crackpot remedies, but I was diagnosed with H1N1 in early December and was going to be forced to take 2 weeks off my 2 jobs, with no compensation. My housemate told me to eat raw garlic, so I did, and I pretty much just made up the rest based on what I knew would be sensible. It worked immediately. ;P

Feel better, dude. If you try my remedy and it doesn't work, I owe you a bag of double-stuffed Oreos.
It WILL work. But hell, I'm tempted to just send some Oreos your way, anyway. ;)
Good job this past year, Amber. Really impressive work.

Magic

The sentiment is nice, but in hindsight, if your throat is irritated, don't consume oranges for Vitamin C. While it is a nice source of it when you're healthy, oranges tend to work against you by irritating your throat further while vitamin supplements don't.

Just saying. Comfort is as much part of therapy. This list is pretty good, though, otherwise.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Turnsky

Quote from: Magic on January 06, 2010, 01:57:38 AM
The sentiment is nice, but in hindsight, if your throat is irritated, don't consume oranges for Vitamin C. While it is a nice source of it when you're healthy, oranges tend to work against you by irritating your throat further while vitamin supplements don't.

Just saying. Comfort is as much part of therapy. This list is pretty good, though, otherwise.

the acidity of the citrus being the irritant, of course. a Bowl of hot tomato soup's easy on the throat, too.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

llearch n'n'daCorna

... and if that lot doesn't make you sick, you're healthy anyway. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Netrogo

Quote from: Magic on January 06, 2010, 01:57:38 AM

I think that's why she suggested mandarins, they lack the 'tang' of regular oranges, but still have all the vitamin C goodness.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Lucheek

For an irritated throat, I was always taught to gargle salt-water.

Keleth

My grandmother had this thing where you'd take a spoonful of Mollasses, and then add a tiny bit of pepper for some reason. Then swig it.

Always seemed to work though.
Help! I'm gay!

Kenji

Ya know, if Amber would just stop licking strange knobs and poles she finds in buildings, this may not happen so often. :[

Scarydragon

Quote from: Kenji on January 06, 2010, 06:28:31 PM
Ya know, if Amber would just stop licking strange knobs and poles she finds in buildings, this may not happen so often. :[

I must be that I'm corrupted, but I couldn't help but see the innuendo in this last post.

Either way, I hope this year treats Amber's immune system a little better.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

K4t

o gnoes amber has a sick

Personally i recommended orange juice for drinking, and cambles chunky chicken soup for eating (not at same sitting tho, would make i weird combo me-thinks) The OJ has lot's of vitamins that boost immune system. he soup is by far the best chicken noodle soup iv ever had.

on the bright side , i theorize that any future amber children will inherit complete immunity to all dezies, cuz she has gone through em all one at one point or another :3

Arcblade

That is very possibly the craziest routine I've ever seen.  Which is not say it wouldn't work.  Perhaps I should donate some clementines and PB to the cause... 

Reese Tora

*reads list*

:boggle

are you trying to help her, or finish her off?
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Kenji

Quote from: Scarydragon on January 06, 2010, 06:37:46 PM

I must be that I'm corrupted, but I couldn't help but see the innuendo in this last post.

Shaggy carpets are bad for it too.

Technoire

Quote from: Kenji on January 06, 2010, 11:25:48 PM

Shaggy carpets are bad for it too.

Shag carpets are horrible, lecherous vermin that accumulate dust bunnies, sparrow droppings and the belly-button lint of hygenically-challenged passersby. Down with this sort of thing. :<

In terms of soups, be ready to drink a couple cups of water immediately following to cushion the blow of all the sodium Campbell's has. ;P

Also, those horrendously strong Starbucks Coffee Mints are famous for opening constricted airways, and Amber's affinity for the munching of wasabi peas is likely an aide in sinus clearing. :)

And seriously, if 2010 finds Amber's health in any poorer condition than 2009 did, I think we're gonna have to keep Phoenix Down on hand at all times.
Theoretically, Necromancy would be pretty effective, too... But I recall Friends Don't Let Friends Become Zombies. ;)

Edit:
BBCode, not HTML. Fixed your link for you.
  -- llearch

Reese Tora

Quote from: Technoire on January 07, 2010, 02:50:38 AMwasabi peas

I think that's Syke you're thinking of; Amber noms Swedish fish.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Anker Steadfast

Oh god ... the innuendo and fallos symbols are now etched in my mind!! :eek :blush

I never knew Amber was such a naughty girl!
(or such a naughty sleeping bag worm)

Ofcourse, she's an artist that draws what is basically oversexed shapeshifting tentacle monsters as young nubile furry females
I guess Ambers innosence might have always been a bit .. compromised.
We all know where she'll end up then!

:tohell

Yeah, that's right .. Detroit! :D

Quote from: Reese Tora on January 07, 2010, 03:21:51 AM
Quote from: Technoire on January 07, 2010, 02:50:38 AMwasabi peas

I think that's Syke you're thinking of; Amber noms Swedish fish.

mMmmmmmm .... swedish fish ... I'm feeling pekish now. :P

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Bjalf

The best way to treat sickness is to avoid getting sick in the first place. Yes, d'oh, but prevention is much, much simpler than trying to find a miracle cure after the fact. You'll just have to slog through this one, but here's some tips on avoiding the next one.

Good tips to avoid getting sick:
http://summertomato.com/how-to-avoid-getting-sick-in-flu-season/
I did not write this, but I could well have.

(Mostly) bad tips (bovine poop cooked in snake oil):
http://ezinearticles.com/?6-Quick-Tips-to-Avoid-Getting-Sick-and-What-to-Do-if-You-Do&id=121332
http://www.ehow.com/how_2185303_avoid-getting-sick.html

A note on hydration: Don't skimp on fluids, but there's no point in drinking X glasses of water each day just for the sake of it. The human body has this great 10+ million-year-old mechanism called "thirst" that tells you when it's time to drink something, preferrably non-alcoholic.

Alondro

Amber should drink obscene quantities of green tea.  It contains a natural T-cell stimulant.

Science paper!

Evidence!  :3

Of course, it has much to do with the initial strength of ones' T-cell immune system.  If you have a malfunction somewhere, the tea won't help.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Turnsky

Quote from: Alondro on January 07, 2010, 03:27:57 PM
Amber should drink obscene quantities of green tea.  It contains a natural T-cell stimulant.

Science paper!

Of course, it has much to do with the initial strength of ones' T-cell immune system.  If you have a malfunction somewhere, the tea won't help.

no you fool! if you try to cure amber with science, we'll end up with a Frankenmab!  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Damaris

I read a fun one, keep onions around the rooms of your house - they absorb the virus and bacteria.  If you do get sick, cut the ends off an onion and put it in a bowl by the bed while you sleep.  The next day, it will be darker, having absorbed the ick - repeat as needed.

Does it work - no idea!  But, onions are cheap, so there you have it.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

ooklah

I've heard the onions before, but tech's sounds crazy enough to try!
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Tycoon

I simply recommend that you get a bit more vitamin D, as winter is notorious for not providing enough of it (the angle of the sun is too low).

Quote from: http://www.vitamindcouncil.orgCurrent research has implicated vitamin D deficiency as a major factor in the pathology of at least 17 varieties of cancer as well as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, depression, chronic pain, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, muscle wasting, birth defects, periodontal disease, and more.

While they may seem a bit biased towards the case of vitamin D, I'd say that upping the amount you get can be rather helpful in the long run, anyway.

Liatai

Amber should drink obscene quantities of green tea.  It contains a natural T-cell stimulant.

Science paper!

Evidence!  :3

Yay! I have scientific evidence that green tea belongs in my box of standard cures now!  :>

I have a box that I keep filled with my standard cures for general sicknesses, whether for myself or for people who come to see me who are feeling sick. (I tend to be the go-to person for medical advice in my circle of friends for some reason. No idea why. XD ) The box currently contains...

--A little wooden chest with five types of tea in it (mainly because I'm a tea fanatic, but also because they're tasty, warm, and clear liquids that are easy to prepare. I think I have two greens, two oolongs, and a black tea in there.)
--A bottle of ibuprofen, a box of Sudafed, a box of Imodium (loperamide), a little bottle of aspirin, and a little bottle of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) (for treating symptoms; the ibuprofen gets the most use, but the Benadryl is useful if you're having problems falling asleep due to congestion. Antihistamine + drowsiness = sleepy time!)
--A fleece blanket, rolled up
--A box of tissues
--Two easy recipes; one for homemade bread (nice and bland!) and one for chicken and rice soup.
--Several bags of cough drops (mostly without menthol, since I don't like mentholated cough drops, but I do have one bag of Halls for people who do)
--A bottle of eucalyptus oil, and a bag of cotton balls (This one's a little odd, but let me explain. Eucalyptus oil contains several compounds that reduce mucus production and ease congestion. Think of Vicks, if you're familiar with it; eucalyptus oil is just cheaper (about $5 a bottle where I am, and one bottle can last for years). If you're having problems with mucus that are keeping you from sleep, put three drops of the oil on a cotton ball and put it either beside your bed or in your pillowcase. You'd be surprised how well it works! Don't do it when your throat is dry, though; it will only dry out the back of your throat faster and can make you cough. You can also dab it on your wrists or throat to help with congestion throughout the day; test it on a patch of skin that won't show first, though, to check for any adverse reactions.)
--A thermometer and some alcohol wipes for disinfecting it (I get so many people asking me if I think they have a fever...  :sweatdrop )
--Band-aids and first-aid cream (because when I get sick, I get clumsy, and my friends are the same way XD)

I also tend to keep ginger ale around, too, since it's good for people with stomach problems/nausea. Let it go a little flat before drinking it for the most stomach-calming effect. (Then again, I like flat soda, so take that as you will.) If you have it on ice, you can chew the ice afterwards; it'll be a little sweet from the soda, and it's another bland way to get fluids in.  

Hope this helps! Feel better.  :smile

Alondro

*Charline adds in a note about the best resource for extra vitamin D in the diet!*  The skin of people who get tans!  Just peel it right off!  Chock full o' vitamin D!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tycoon

Quote from: Alondro on January 08, 2010, 02:48:21 PM
*Charline adds in a note about the best resource for extra vitamin D in the diet!*  The skin of people who get tans!  Just peel it right off!  Chock full o' vitamin D!   >:3

Watch out, though; it might be imported from the Jersey Shore and filled with toxic sludge.

Arcblade

Science paper!

Ooh, SCIENCE!  Time to go drink green tea. 

celelorien

An addendum to the tea thing - if you must use sweetener on it, go for honey instead of sugar. :3  Also, I've always found that if you smear carmex liberally around and on the front of your nose, not only does the awesome carmex-stink clear up your sinuses, but in the winter (and whenever you blow your nose a lot) it helps keep the skin from chafing / peeling.

Another good thing to do for sinus / headache ick is to get a biiig pot of really hot water with something nice smelling in it - peppermint or perhaps cinnamon, soak a towel in the hot water, then drape the towel over your head while you lean over the pot and breathe deeply.  Keeps your throat from drying out and helps clear away the sicky, and the heat just is nice and helpful on your head. ;3

Attic Rat

Since we're all pouring out our treasure-stores of remedies, I'll add this one that everyone knows about anyway: If you have a winter cough, sinus infection, or anytime it hurts to breath... Get a humidifier, and run it 24/7. Your bedroom is the best place for it.

Dry air irritates the whole respiratory system, and when temperatures go below freezing, the air gets very dry.

Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

ishidan

Ugh, not Campbells, I gotta disagree with that.  As noted, Campbells red-and-whites puts an obscene amount of sodium in, and their chicken noodle soup is also devoid of vegetables.   I prefer Progresso...then you get the carrots and celery...still cooked down to where it's soft enough to eat with an irritated throat.