12/27/09 [AS2 #83] - "Civil" Conversation

Started by Arcblade, December 27, 2009, 10:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Crawlwyvern on December 28, 2009, 09:02:50 AM
we have to remember that certain 'cubi tend to eat souls for a living, which again balances with the fact that demons demonstratedly have no loyalties, which only emphasizes the choice between two evils.

You forgot what Kria's surname is, didn't you?   :P
Fa'Lina's probably the safer choice in that regard - she's powerful enough that she doesn't need to do that sort of thing.

EDIT:

I suspect that Abel himself is likely to interrupt before anything unpleasant happens.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Crawldragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 28, 2009, 10:04:23 AM
we have to remember that certain 'cubi tend to eat souls for a living, which again balances with the fact that demons demonstratedly have no loyalties, which only emphasizes the choice between two evils.

Oh, yeah. Well, that just made things a whole lot more complicated.

Bjalf

... because presumably Kria still works for whoever scolded her over showing mercy (presumably Aniz, but let's assume for a moment it's not) ...

I thought that was Uncle Aliph.

Naldru

Diplomacy is the art of having tea together with polite conversation while both sides true desire is to rip out the throat of the other party.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Scrap Fish

Quote from: Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats on December 27, 2009, 11:33:08 PM
Quote from: Scrap Fish on December 27, 2009, 11:08:25 PM
Kira
@Scrap I think you mean 'Kria'.
Quote from: Orion Asmodeus Dezagrats on December 27, 2009, 11:43:59 PM
Quote from: Madd the Sane on December 27, 2009, 11:35:32 PM
Quote from: Scrap Fish on December 27, 2009, 11:08:25 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 27, 2009, 10:21:04 PM
Oh, I don't know. I thought Fa'Lina got on rather well with Kria...
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Fa'Lina ever interacting with Kira during Abel's Story before.

There's nothing to stop them from getting along eventually - a good century could do wonders - but I think Kira seems to have a serious matrimonial complex over Abel.
You mean maternal, as in motherly.  Although she might marry him eventually :P
Oh crap, what have you done.

YOU'VE GIVEN THE UNREGISTERED LURKERS MORE CRACK PAIRINGS TO SHIP KGJDFSOIGSJFDIOPGJOIF
Uh...
Oops?
Doing well, aren't I?
Yes, I meant "maternal" not "matrimonial." That's like, a freudian-slip level mistake. And I go ahead and get Kria's name wrong to boot.

Quote from: Bjalf on December 28, 2009, 10:22:00 AM
... because presumably Kria still works for whoever scolded her over showing mercy (presumably Aniz, but let's assume for a moment it's not) ...

It may be. I have my personal suspicions, but nothing is confirmed yet.

Just spreading the confusion around. There's enough for everybody!

candide

Quote from: Bjalf on December 28, 2009, 10:22:00 AM

...or to Kria, her big-brother, Aliph.  Who better to train her in demon-rampaging ways that her older, more experienced brother?

(According to the cast page, Kria was, oh, somewhere in her 20's or 30's when she was Abel's kindergarten teacher, still quite young for a demon.  Her brother is about 300+ years older than her.)

But back to the reason I wanted to post:  Fa'lina's retort:

"Oh you wound my pride Lady Soulstealer.  Do you really think that if I had to resort to brainwashing at my school that this pretense of a civil conversation would even be happening?  I assure you it wouldn't."

Funny how everyone missed the phrase, "pretense of a civil conversation."  Fa'lina's calling Kria's bluff, basically:  "This whole chat-over-tea-and-cookies is a sham, and we both know it."  Really, those two sentences speak volumes.  IMHO, Fa'lina is implying:
- "I am old enough and powerful enough that brainwashing is far beneath me.  Your accusation is, therefore, flat-out insulting."
- "I'm tolerating your 'brainwash' insinuation and all of your other insults and rude behavior since I arrived  ... barely tolerating them."
- "You obviously know that I'm powerful, but clearly don't know just how powerful I am.  Don't. Test. Your Luck."

That, at least, is how I interpret Fa'lina.  And that look on Fa'lina's face ... {shudders}  Scary.

joshofspam

Well Fal'ina probably knows why she's so defensive.

I guess Fa'lina has to calm down Kria before any sort of talking terms can be established.

A vague threat of that level might,

1. Make her take a step back and be reasonable about what their talking about.

2. It might push Kria over the edge and make a battle take place.

But I sense that Abel's dad is going to come into this argument sooner than later.

I wonder if the Demon's even know why the Cubi have a hidden school?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Angel

Hmm. So the two hottest women in Abel's Story (not counting May in Volume 1) don't get along. Innnnterestink...
Quote from: ooklah on December 28, 2009, 12:36:36 AM
no, I didn't quite understand it either.

I think Fa'lina's smile there almost borders psychotic. or I'm better then you. I get those two mixed up.

I'd say both. She's got that look cats are the masters of most of the time, but unlike a housecat, she can back up her veiled threat/reassurance/she's a succubus, it means a lot of things. (sips her orange juice thoughtfully) This requires more in-depth looks. WHy would Demons hate 'Cubi, or, more specifically, why would Kria hate Fa'Lina when Demons respect power? Of course, you can hate someone and still respect them, but even if Kria is much younger here than we know her now, she still seemed capable, in other comics, of masking hatred. Here, it's right out there. And Fa'Lina, who is well over 9,000 years old, can't mask whatever the hell she's trying (or not trying) to mask either. It's really really confusing.

........Please, marm, may I have some more? 83
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Black_angel on December 28, 2009, 12:34:28 PM
I'd say both. She's got that look cats are the masters of most of the time, but unlike a housecat, she can back up her veiled threat/reassurance/she's a succubus, it means a lot of things. (sips her orange juice thoughtfully)

She's Tri-wing, albeit a modest one.  It would not surprise me if she could take over Zinvth where she stands, without even needing to put the tea down.  Chances are Kria does not really know or accept that.

QuoteThis requires more in-depth looks. WHy would Demons hate 'Cubi, or, more specifically, why would Kria hate Fa'Lina when Demons respect power?
They don't like 'Cubi because they tend to sneak around and deceive people rather than being upfront about it.  What Fa'Lina is doing may buy her kudos from Kria.  However, I don't think they know about May.  That is liable to disrupt things too.  Then there is the question of whatever inheritance Abel is entitled to.  If he could convert that to liquid assets and bank it, he'd be pretty rich when he leaves SAIA.

terrycloth

She spent all her money helping others or something, that's why she couldn't afford life extension treatment.

Unless you're just talking about compound interest on an initially modest sum. That could work.

Tapewolf

Quote from: terrycloth on December 28, 2009, 01:43:55 PM
She spent all her money helping others or something, that's why she couldn't afford life extension treatment.
Unless you're just talking about compound interest on an initially modest sum. That could work.

We have no clue how much life extension costs - it could run into millions.  But we do know that Kria's main stated reason for testing Abel was to prevent some unscrupulous 'Cubi from making off with the inheritance, so it's obviously a nonzero sum.  It might be the property.  300'000 or so might not pay for life extension but still be a tidy sum, especially after 300 years of compound interest.

Scarydragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 28, 2009, 02:17:52 PM
But we do know that Kria's main stated reason for testing Abel was to prevent some unscrupulous 'Cubi from making off with the inheritance, so it's obviously a nonzero sum.  It might be the property.  300'000 or so might not pay for life extension but still be a tidy sum, especially after 300 years of compound interest.

It might even be priceless items and relics. May's husband was an adventurer, who knows what shinies he picked up in his travels.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Scarydragon on December 28, 2009, 02:45:58 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 28, 2009, 02:17:52 PM
But we do know that Kria's main stated reason for testing Abel was to prevent some unscrupulous 'Cubi from making off with the inheritance, so it's obviously a nonzero sum.  It might be the property.  300'000 or so might not pay for life extension but still be a tidy sum, especially after 300 years of compound interest.

It might even be priceless items and relics. May's husband was an adventurer, who knows what shinies he picked up in his travels.

yes, And Some said items maybe better off the market...of which some items, Kria or Fa'lina would object to being in other's hands.  (whoa That is too far there)

BUT I think these two are really looking out of Abel's welfare.  Which they don't trust each other with.

PBH

Amber Williams

Quote from: Naldru on December 28, 2009, 10:58:25 AM
Diplomacy is the art of having tea together with polite conversation while both sides true desire is to rip out the throat of the other party.

One of the more interesting yet boring to tell experiences I had in college was I had the honour of witnessing two historians, both with a different stance regarding the contents of a particular Greecian tomb and who was buried in it, debate.  Never before (and possibly never again) have I witnessed such flowery and civil ways of two people calling the other a buttface without actually out and saying it.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 28, 2009, 03:40:41 PM

One of the more interesting yet boring to tell experiences I had in college was I had the honour of witnessing two historians, both with a different stance regarding the contents of a particular Greecian tomb and who was buried in it, debate.  Never before (and possibly never again) have I witnessed such flowery and civil ways of two people calling the other a buttface without actually out and saying it.

I direct thy attention to Act 5 of Hamlet......... :D
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Anker Steadfast

Heh, reminds me of a book, where they practiced what they called "the diplomacy of wolves" :

"Diplomacy is the art of making your enemy cut his own throat for you; convincing him to do it outside where he won't leave a mess AND making him believe that he's getting the best end of the bargain, while he does it."

Now THAT is some powerful diplomacy !!

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Howl

From the look on Fa'Lina's face... the gloves are coming off.

Chakat Blackspots

I wonder why Kria thinks Fa'Lina brainwashes her students?

Naldru

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 28, 2009, 10:04:23 AM
Just because the last name is Soulstealer doesn't mean that she practices it on a daily basis.  After all, Wilma Mankiller didn't go around committing homicide on a regular basis.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

LionHeart

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on December 28, 2009, 04:07:19 PM

Heh, reminds me of a book, where they practiced what they called "the diplomacy of wolves" :

"Diplomacy is the art of making your enemy cut his own throat for you; convincing him to do it outside where he won't leave a mess AND making him believe that he's getting the best end of the bargain, while he does it."

Now THAT is some powerful diplomacy !!

Diplomacy is the art of...

...letting the other person have your way.

...telling the other person to go to hell in such a way that he actually looks forward to the journey.

...saying "Nice doggy" while you look for a large rock.

:mowwink
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Cogidubnus

Quote from: LionHeart on December 29, 2009, 01:06:36 AM
Diplomacy is the art of...

...letting the other person have your way.

...telling the other person to go to hell in such a way that he actually looks forward to the journey.

...saying "Nice doggy" while you look for a large rock.

:mowwink

If I might interject my own view?

Diplomacy is the art of saying what another person wants to hear, in a way that gets you what you want.

Perhaps not as entertaining as other ways of saying it, but it's the one that's always worked for me... >:3

Edit: Oh, I also forgot to point out that the subtle mix between slightly pissed off and polite that Fa'Lina is giving off there looks like it'd be very hard to capture, and much props are deserved for it.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on December 28, 2009, 11:25:04 PM
#Just because the last name is Soulstealer doesn't mean that she practices it on a daily basis.  After all, Wilma Mankiller didn't go around committing homicide on a regular basis.

It's a little unclear what she's saying in 951, but what I was getting at is that 'Cubi don't have a lock on soul-stealing.  IIRC Amber said that it's not an innate ability, so it's probably just a spell that anyone who knows how can cast. 

Anri

*Anri peeks in over Tikki's shoulder* I don't know why you'd want to steal one anyway. They're better just consumed right there fresh from the host...

*hides her tails* Uh, not that I'd know anything about that!

candide

Quote from: Cogidubnus on December 29, 2009, 02:48:18 AMEdit: Oh, I also forgot to point out that the subtle mix between slightly pissed off and polite that Fa'Lina is giving off there looks like it'd be very hard to capture, and much props are deserved for it.

Yes indeed!  I wanted to say something about that last panel in my previous comment, but decided against it.  Thought I'd come across as too fanboy.

But, now that it's been said:  Not only the look on Fa'lina's face, which not only contains a mix of pissed off and polite but also a good dose of Very Scary, but the dialog accompanying it is absolutely brilliant.  The combination of the two says what lesser authors would require pages to say the same.  Expertly done, Amber.   :mowhappy

Dagardo

I look at Fa'lina's expression and get sort of a "rape face" vibe from it. :B All thats missing is the big disturbing grin really, like she really needs it though.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Dagardo on December 30, 2009, 01:18:35 AM
I look at Fa'lina's expression and get sort of a "rape face" vibe from it. :B All thats missing is the big disturbing grin really, like she really needs it though.

She is quite good at those
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic)