12/25/09 [DMFA #1069] - Time to chew the fat.

Started by Alondro, December 24, 2009, 11:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Well, this is certainly going to be a dinner conversation that'll ruin their appetites.

Which is ok, since fancy restaurant portions are almost microscopic.

I prefer gut-busting platters for my money!   :3

*Charline is disappointed Alexsi is being reasonable*  And I was hoping for a vicious, bloody battle.  :/
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

The_one_who_is_odd

Amber seems to have updated an hour early.... What a lovely Christmas present!

Corgatha Taldorthar

Pyroduck looks actually vulnerable in the second panel. Interesting/odd, since he seems usually to be more on the irrepressible or mysterious track of expression.

And I, for one, have been wondering what Pyroduck has been up to since the day I joined this forum. Some answers will be nice, but I have a sinking feeling that we'll be treated to a non-answer answer.

Edit-

Something else occurred to me. Alexsi's reaction, and more specifically Pyroduck's counter, seems to imply that Alexsi knows that dragons in general are after her family. Makes one wonder exactly how much Destania told Alexsi before she hared off, and why Dan was kept in the dark.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

The_one_who_is_odd

I always thought that Pyro was sent there by Fa'Lina to protect Dan...

Wanderer

Quote from: The_one_who_is_odd on December 25, 2009, 12:22:09 AM
No, Fa'Lina made it pretty clear that she hadn't expected Pyroduck to be anywhere near Dan or anyone else in that family.

The_one_who_is_odd

Great now I am gonna wonder what Pyro was doing there in the first place...

ooklah

I was just following orders.... but then.....
<wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka>
"Why no, officer, I am not made of pancakes."

Baal Hadad

I don't like Alexsi's attitude there--I know why she has it (generally speaking) but I still don't like it.

I hope, though, that we'll get to learn something we didn't previously know--Pyroduck did ask for a chance to explain, and Alexsi allowed it....

terrycloth

Dragons -- as in, the dragon race as an officially organized entity -- kidnapped her father and want to kill her mother. Also, they keep pestering her brother over gambling debts that they only won because they CHEATED. >:3

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on December 25, 2009, 12:14:16 AM
Something else occurred to me. Alexsi's reaction, and more specifically Pyroduck's counter, seems to imply that Alexsi knows that dragons in general are after her family. Makes one wonder exactly how much Destania told Alexsi before she hared off, and why Dan was kept in the dark.

That's what I'd like to know.  Clearly she knew more than Dan did, but HOW much?  Especially since I suppose neither knew Pyroduck was a dragon....

PencilinHand

Quote from: The_one_who_is_odd on December 25, 2009, 01:18:20 AM
Great now I am gonna wonder what Pyro was doing there in the first place...

O boy, where to begin?  In the beginning I suppose....

Comic #70 Pyroduck(without wings) is introduced as a guide to twink territory.  Considering the age of the comic and changes to the character et all this is probably of little relevance to the question. #72(reason for knowing about twinks is he is a scholar apparently), #73, #74 (now with wings), #75, #80, #91(just seems to decide to settle down at lost lake, cheap room etc.).

#113 he may be a comedian or a sight seeing time traveler.

P-Ducky doesn't do much for a couple hundred strips.  We are told he makes snide remarks at stuff, is not gay, and he is seen chronicling one of the Azlan/Neni incidents.  Otherwise, he mostly plays bit parts either setting up or delivering the punchline sometimes just acting as a sounding board.

Until, #556 when he asks Alexsi on a date.

There is nothing on P-Ducky until the "Get me to the Church" arc where Alexsi is kidnapped by twinks.  Able and P-Ducky meet.  It is the aftermath of this meeting(#684) that gives us the most telling explanation for why P-Ducky has hung around Lost Lake.  Apparently he sticks around for "personal reason" related to "owe[ing] Dan a great deal," plus the cozy relationship with Alexsi.

#725 and #726 to give a reason for tension between dragons and Dans family.  Something to do with dragons kidnapping Dans father and hunting for Destania.  The subsequent 4 or 5 comics are instructive incites to PyroDucky's character, as are #739 and #740.

From then until the current situation about all we have seen of PyroDucky is him repairing a wall.

Quote from: terrycloth on December 25, 2009, 03:35:01 AM
Dragons -- as in, the dragon race as an officially organized entity -- kidnapped her father and want to kill her mother. Also, they keep pestering her brother over gambling debts that they only won because they CHEATED. >:3

Curse you for posting while I was expositioning and combing the archive!

Dard

Quote from: Baal Hadad on December 25, 2009, 03:37:36 AMThat's what I'd like to know.  Clearly she knew more than Dan did, but HOW much?
It is the most likely possibility, but I am not yet fully convinced.

If Alexsi was simply told horror stories about dragons by her mother and Pyroduck simply assumed that Alexsi knew about Destania's feud with Dragons, the scene would probably still play out exactly like shown.

Tapewolf

Quote from: PencilinHand on December 25, 2009, 04:12:34 AM
There is nothing on P-Ducky until the "Get me to the Church" arc where Alexsi is kidnapped by twinks.  Able and P-Ducky meet.  It is the aftermath of this meeting(#684) that gives us the most telling explanation for why P-Ducky has hung around Lost Lake.

It is possible that the 70-era strips are somewhat canon, albeit in a slightly different form.  Destania, for example, is definitely hanging out there, though apparently in a more cagey manner.  I have to wonder if PD may have been living there to watch for or to watch the back of Destania.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 25, 2009, 04:19:51 AM

I have to wonder if PD may have been living there to watch for or to watch the back of Destania.

I think that would depend on whether this was just a one-liner to play with our heads, or a genuine plot hula moment.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Tapewolf

Quote from: SpottedKitty on December 25, 2009, 06:45:09 AM
I think that would depend on whether this was just a one-liner to play with our heads, or a genuine plot hula moment.

Actually I'd entirely forgotten about that.  I was just thinking that their proximity in the Twink Territories might not be coincidence.

Jasonrevall

The fact still remains that Pyro didn't tell Alexi what he was and therefore in a way, manipulated the events around her to fit his best interests. Typical of a self centered all powerful being even if it wasnt to destroy her. I think that alone would be enough to warrant a walk out on a date.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Scarydragon

Quote from: Wanderer on December 25, 2009, 12:59:05 AM
Quote from: The_one_who_is_odd on December 25, 2009, 12:22:09 AM
No, Fa'Lina made it pretty clear that she hadn't expected Pyroduck to be anywhere near Dan or anyone else in that family.

Ahh, but if Pyroduck was telling the truth when he said he was a time-traveler, Future-Fa'Lina (or anyone else for that matter) could have sent him back to protect Dan.
A Scarydragon approaches!

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Scarydragon on December 25, 2009, 10:00:28 AM
Ahh, but if Pyroduck was telling the truth when he said he was a time-traveler, Future-Fa'Lina (or anyone else for that matter) could have sent him back to protect Dan.

"Come with me if you want to live." ?

Oh, that has all sorts of bad jokes just begging to be thrown in there...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Bjalf

Quote from: SpottedKitty on December 25, 2009, 06:45:09 AM

It could be both. I'm not so sure Pyroduck was joking here either. The best way to lie is to tell the truth.

Scarydragon

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 25, 2009, 10:40:35 AM
"Come with me if you want to live." ?

Ha, just yesterday I watched the first to two Terminator movies for the first time in like, 10 years.

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 25, 2009, 04:19:51 AM
It is possible that the 70-era strips are somewhat canon, albeit in a slightly different form. 

Has Amber ever indicated that they weren't? Sure, the really early strips were mostly throwaway gags, but most plot elements introduced from about Chapter 5 onwards have been cemented as part of the official continuity by later strips.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

StrawberryPistol87

Okay she allmost wants to leave?
doesnt her realtionship means more then just.
''okay, youll have till the salad arives''

Destania most told very traumatising story to her kids to scare them off like that. :zombiekun2 :kruger :januscat

Tapewolf

Quote from: StrawberryPistol87 on December 25, 2009, 04:53:48 PM
Destania most told very traumatising story to her kids to scare them off like that. :zombiekun2 :kruger :januscat

Fact is, if what Biggs is saying is correct, they would love to kill her (Destania), Edward, Daniel and probably Alexsi "just to be safe".  No stories are needed.

Jasonrevall

The fact that Pyro didnt trust or respect Alexi enough to make a rational decision based on compassion rather than race or circumstance in starting a relationship with him is a very big thing. If I were in her situation or a similar one, it would be very difficult for them to regain the trust they lost.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

The_one_who_is_odd

Hmmm... Ducky's proximity to twink territory: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_070.php
The lie(?) about where he came from: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_113.php
This little exchange between Duck and Abel: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_684.php
and of course
The latest question from the reader: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1059.php

I think Pyro has alot more to do than originally thought...

Scarydragon

Everyone is so worried about Pyroduck being some kind of devious bastard for not telling Alexsi that he was a dragon sooner. But think about it, he's getting into a relationship with the (step)daughter of Destania.

Alexsi may have heard a lot about dragons from Destania, but I bet Pyroduck heard just as much about Destania.

Maybe he was worried that the girl he likes would turn on him once she knew what he was. Or maybe that she wouldn't want to be with him anymore.

Or that if Alexsi still chose to stay with Pyroduck, that she'd end up getting stuck in the crossfire between himself and Destania (or Biggs for that matter.)

[Attack]
>[Word Play]
     [Sarcasm]
     [Innuendo]
     [Backwards Logic]
     [Puns]
   >[Sarcasm]
  [Procrastinate]
  [Item]

Anker Steadfast

On a sidenote, Pyroduck isn't exactly the strongest character at Lost Lake.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

KarlOmega1

You know....Alexsi does look pretty in that outfit....
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

StrawberryPistol87

Quote from: Jasonrevall on December 25, 2009, 05:15:14 PM

The fact that Pyro didnt trust or respect Alexi enough to make a rational decision based on compassion rather than race or circumstance in starting a relationship with him is a very big thing. If I were in her situation or a similar one, it would be very difficult for them to regain the trust they lost.
Quote from: Scarydragon on December 25, 2009, 09:54:29 PM
Everyone is so worried about Pyroduck being some kind of devious bastard for not telling Alexsi that he was a dragon sooner. But think about it, he's getting into a relationship with the (step)daughter of Destania.

Alexsi may have heard a lot about dragons from Destania, but I bet Pyroduck heard just as much about Destania.

Maybe he was worried that the girl he likes would turn on him once she knew what he was. Or maybe that she wouldn't want to be with him anymore.

Or that if Alexsi still chose to stay with Pyroduck, that she'd end up getting stuck in the crossfire between himself and Destania (or Biggs for that matter.)

Didnt thought about that. i agree with you both.

jeffh4

Wanted to give Amber kudos for something noone else has noticed, apparently.  In panel 1, PyroD grabs Alexi's arm.  In panel 2, he's switched to holding her hand.  Much less controlling and (along with the puppy-dog eyes) makes the appeal much more genuine.